New SEC divisions and pods thread (Page 30 starts recent discussion)

mdmost

On 2/19/2023 at 3:09 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

I bleieve Brent Z said aggy is playing Texas on Thanksgiving. I hope it’s at least on Black Friday or Saturday. Any college game is going to get crushed in the ratings against the primetime NFL game. 

Who fucking cares about the TV ratings?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I hope it's thanksgiving because that's how it always was and it made for a fun thanksgiving talking crap to your cousins and uncles....before they went back to their Double Wide or their day pass expired.

Fixed it.

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I hope it's thanksgiving because that's how it always was and it made for a fun thanksgiving talking crap to your cousins and uncles.

Yes, aggy was usually the Thanksgiving turkey (other than the 80's Jackie Sherrill cheaters). It's turdition

12 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

Disagree

Nope 

Guess it depends what you want and what you're looking for. I really enjoy having time at the fair when it isn't packed out elbows to assholes. They open the gates early when the kick is 11, and we get to the Fair at 7, drink in the lot, and are inside by 8, grabbing corny dogs and fried butter without wait. 

OTOH, at the 230 games, the gates don't open early, and every shitbird is there by the time stuff opens resulting in long ass lines and hot annoying days. 

Then after the game when it's 11, we can chill for a bit as people disperse, then enjoy more of the fair in reasonable crowds. But when 230, people hanging for a couple hours after the fair have everyone still onsite until 8-830, and it's much more crowded even until close.

Plus 11-230 is a less hot window in the actual stadium than 230-6 is. 

Now, if you just want to go out and get shithoused Friday night and be able to sleep til noon, I guess sure, but I can do that any day. I wanna soak in the fair on OU-Texas day. 

• Hook 'Em 9

12 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

When the game is at 11:00 there is plenty of time after the game to enjoy the fair when about half the crowd has cleared out.

Exactly.  When it's at 11 you get uncrowded fair from 745-915 or so, and then again after like 6.  When it's at 230, there is no uncrowded fair. 

52 minutes ago, TXSooner518 said:

Guess it depends what you want and what you're looking for. I really enjoy having time at the fair when it isn't packed out elbows to assholes. They open the gates early when the kick is 11, and we get to the Fair at 7, drink in the lot, and are inside by 8, grabbing corny dogs and fried butter without wait. 

OTOH, at the 230 games, the gates don't open early, and every shitbird is there by the time stuff opens resulting in long ass lines and hot annoying days. 

Then after the game when it's 11, we can chill for a bit as people disperse, then enjoy more of the fair in reasonable crowds. But when 230, people hanging for a couple hours after the fair have everyone still onsite until 8-830, and it's much more crowded even until close.

Plus 11-230 is a less hot window in the actual stadium than 230-6 is. 

Now, if you just want to go out and get shithoused Friday night and be able to sleep til noon, I guess sure, but I can do that any day. I wanna soak in the fair on OU-Texas day. 

I think the only other good thing about the 230 start is you can truly be shithoused at 230 if you start at 7

4 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

I think the only other good thing about the 230 start is you can truly be shithoused at 230 if you start at 7

Definitely requires much more maintenance and precision to not overshoot the runway. Way more straightforward being housed by 1045 starting at 7, esp if you're willing to have booze in the parking lot rather than all beer. 

10 minutes ago, horn4life said:

Probably the only certainty is that we will host the first A&M matchup which will wrap the Aggies panties so tightly that their birthrate may fall in 2024.

aggy turdition is doing a pretty good job of that…all by themselves.

59BDC662-9F25-472A-879D-0012A20B57AA.jpeg

C5860AF2-D7E4-486D-A80E-1718B8BB711B.jpeg

Edited by Armybrat

I just don’t get the ou/Florida pairing other than they are both trash states. They are about as far away from each other geographically as possible in this conference. Florida has so much more history with auburn, Georgia, Tennessee and scar.  Ou has a ton of history with mizzou, a decent amount with A&M and Arkansas is a way more natural rival. Just makes no sense to me. 

OU v Florida annually locks down the crucial methhead market. 4D chess.
  • Haha 1

On 2/10/2023 at 10:59 AM, RomaVicta said:

I want good games. We've handled OU, Arkansas, and A&M before. We can do it again.

I'd hate having Vandy, Kentucky, or Missouri as permanent games. If we're good enough, we don't need it to be easy.

we've won a legit title 4 times and played for another 3-4.  I'd rather play Arky, OU and A&M every year for the entertainment value than play shit for a once every 2 decade NC.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

I wonder if ESPN, will convert the LHN to an SECN2 network to accommodate the entrance of OU and Texas, expanding more games of all conference members, or will we have to go to ESPN+ to see our home games, IF shown at all?

Our home games were on the LHN because the LHN by its nature was supposed to have Texas games. They were not on LHN, as a rule, for lack of demand for them in better media. I would expect to see relatively few Texas games relegated to ESPN+.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 2/22/2023 at 5:41 PM, Zeus said:

Everything on LHN can stay on LHN except live football and basketball those should go to real networks.

LHN is a good idea to cover smaller Texas sports and do in depth stuff. Not bigtime stuff. 

How many SEC Network Alternate channels are there again? I want say 2. That should be enough bandwidth to cover every men’s hoops game and baseball. I think if done correctly, the SEC can really grow college baseball. This conference will be a behemoth. Every conference weekend will have nationally relevant, marquee match ups. 

Everything on LHN can stay on LHN except live football and basketball those should go to real networks.

LHN is a good idea to cover smaller Texas sports and do in depth stuff. Not bigtime stuff. 

In no way is the SEC going to let us keep the name ‘LHN’ as a separate entity or thing. The name will go away.

The SEC network is just likely going to have an Austin studio that will likely cover SEC western teams. I mean, having it here will help us as it’s right in our back yard, though.

Current SEC network studio is in Charlotte I think?

So they’ll likely just cover more eastern teams IMO.

IDK really. I just can’t see the SEC letting us keep something like LHN that separates us above all the other schools in the conference. So take it for what it is. 

45 minutes ago, Dnaguy said:

IDK really. I just can’t see the SEC letting us keep something like LHN that separates us above all the other schools in the conference. So take it for what it is. 

LHN will become SEC WEST network.  
Then aggy can pull it’s self complaining how UT  made the sec  have 2 networks….. 

Does any other conference have 2 dedicated networks or would this be a first???

The SEC was expected to choose a team’s three permanent opponents based on primary and secondary rivalries, geographical footprints and, most importantly, balance and parity. The conference is using a 10-year success metric to strike the fairest blend of permanent opponents for each team, Saban says.

“They said they did a 10-year whatever,” the coach says. “Well, some of those years, Tennessee wasn’t as good as they’ve been in the previous 10 years, but now they are as good as they used to be before those 10 years.

“We got three teams and two of them are in the Top 10 and the other is in the Top 10 a lot,” Saban adds. “Look historically over a 25-year history, and the three best teams in the East are Georgia, Tennessee and Florida. You look historically at 25 years, Alabama, LSU and Auburn are the three best teams in the West. So we’re playing them all.”

The SEC’s exact 10-year metric is unclear. But using league records from 2013–’22, the top half-finishers in winning percentage are Alabama (88.8), Georgia (79), Oklahoma (78.2), LSU (63.4), Florida (57.3), Texas (54.3), Auburn (53.6) and Texas A&M (53). The bottom half is Missouri (47.5), Mississippi State (46.3), Ole Miss (44.4), Tennessee and South Carolina (both 41.4), Kentucky (39), Arkansas (25.6) and Vanderbilt (19.7). Big 12 records were used for Oklahoma and Texas. Presumably, those in the top half of the conference over the past decade will play two other teams in the top half and one in the bottom half. Those in the bottom half will play two in the bottom and one in the top half.

https://www.si.com/college/2023/03/03/alabama-coach-nick-saban-not-fan-proposed-2024-opponents-sec-schedule

• Hook 'Em 1

This would be ideal.    I'd like the SEC to go into an agreement with ESPN to allow each school to have their own streaming channel that can either be bought as a package or individually just to see the non football and basketball stuff.   Each school gets to use their own "homer" announcers on their channel and as long as our homer isn't l Lowell "smells like my bowels"  Galindo.   They can also use the channels for all the documentary stuff and general interest stuff too

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

I guess Nick is angling for MSU over LSU. I’d selfishly like to see Alabama LSU every year, but what Bama wants Bama gets.

Nick wants a permanent three of Vanderbilt, Kentucky and Vanderbilt.   But he would accept replacing Kentucky with Vanderbilt.

• Haha 3

As the SEC continues to mull over those potential schedule formats, SI’s Dellenger made a first attempt at guessing the three permanent opponents for each SEC school based on rivalries, geography and parity:

• Missouri: Oklahoma, Arkansas, Vanderbilt
  • Arkansas: Missouri, Texas, Ole Miss
  • Texas A&M: LSU, Texas, Mississippi State
  • Texas: Oklahoma, Texas A&M, Arkansas
  • Oklahoma: Texas, Missouri, Florida
  • LSU: Ole Miss, Texas A&M, Alabama
  • Ole Miss: Mississippi State, LSU, Arkansas
  • Mississippi State: Ole Miss, Kentucky, Texas A&M
  • Alabama: Auburn, Tennessee, LSU
  • Auburn: Alabama, Georgia, Vanderbilt
  • Vanderbilt: Tennessee, Auburn, Missouri
  • Tennessee: Vanderbilt, Alabama, South Carolina
  • Kentucky: Mississippi State, South Carolina, Georgia
  • Georgia: Auburn, Florida, Kentucky
  • Florida: Georgia, South Carolina, Oklahoma
  • South Carolina: Florida, Tennessee, Kentucky

• Hook 'Em 2

26 minutes ago, mdmost said:

As the SEC continues to mull over those potential schedule formats, SI’s Dellenger made a first attempt at guessing the three permanent opponents for each SEC school based on rivalries, geography and parity:

dope-john-oliver.gif

47 minutes ago, mdmost said:

• Missouri: Oklahoma, Arkansas, Vanderbilt
  • Arkansas: Missouri, Texas, Ole Miss
  • Texas A&M: LSU, Texas, Mississippi State
  • Texas: Oklahoma, Texas A&M, Arkansas
  • Oklahoma: Texas, Missouri, Florida
  • LSU: Ole Miss, Texas A&M, Alabama
  • Ole Miss: Mississippi State, LSU, Arkansas
  • Mississippi State: Ole Miss, Kentucky, Texas A&M
  • Alabama: Auburn, Tennessee, LSU
  • Auburn: Alabama, Georgia, Vanderbilt
  • Vanderbilt: Tennessee, Auburn, Missouri
  • Tennessee: Vanderbilt, Alabama, South Carolina
  • Kentucky: Mississippi State, South Carolina, Georgia
  • Georgia: Auburn, Florida, Kentucky
  • South Carolina: Florida, Tennessee, Kentucky

If true, Bama really did get fucked.  That's a first from the SEC office.

There is zero fucking chance the SEC turns down the tv ratings of at least the first few Texas and aggy games. Ross Bjork can say whatever he wants publicly or privately, and Greg Sankey will continue to give exactly zero shits if adopting Bjork’s opinion would cost the SEC a single penny. 

But the reality is that the aggy game wasn’t a national draw in the old days, and if it reverts to that in the future the SEC will make whatever changes they deem appropriate to maximize monetization. There is nothing “permanent” about this schedule, same as it ever was in college football.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Ghost of Frank Erwin said:

I just saw a full view of the proposed SEC permanent opponents Texas and Texas A&M were not permanent opponents in the scenario that I viewed, and I was told that A&M voting to allow Texas into the SEC was contingent on Texas not being a permanent opponent. Ridiculous if true

I cannot confirm this to be 100% true, and calling out A&M is not the point of this tweet at all, but it’s clear there’s some underlying factors between A&M & Texas given the fact they never play. These need to be resolved, & they need to play every year as rivals in the SEC

This is so on brand, yet we would have to listen to their idiot fan base talk about how we are scared of all of their "success" in the SEC and refuse to play them.

2 hours ago, Ghost of Frank Erwin said:

I just saw a full view of the proposed SEC permanent opponents Texas and Texas A&M were not permanent opponents in the scenario that I viewed, and I was told that A&M voting to allow Texas into the SEC was contingent on Texas not being a permanent opponent. Ridiculous if true

I cannot confirm this to be 100% true, and calling out A&M is not the point of this tweet at all, but it’s clear there’s some underlying factors between A&M & Texas given the fact they never play. These need to be resolved, & they need to play every year as rivals in the SEC

Lmao

On 2/28/2023 at 5:15 AM, Dnaguy said:

In no way is the SEC going to let us keep the name ‘LHN’ as a separate entity or thing. The name will go away.

The SEC network is just likely going to have an Austin studio that will likely cover SEC western teams. I mean, having it here will help us as it’s right in our back yard, though.

Current SEC network studio is in Charlotte I think?

So they’ll likely just cover more eastern teams IMO.

Aggy's hemorrhoids will flare if they do... 

1 hour ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

There is zero fucking chance the SEC turns down the tv ratings of at least the first few Texas and aggy games. Ross Bjork can say whatever he wants publicly or privately, and Greg Sankey will continue to give exactly zero shits if adopting Bjork’s opinion would cost the SEC a single penny. 

But the reality is that the aggy game wasn’t a national draw in the old days, and if it reverts to that in the future the SEC will make whatever changes they deem appropriate to maximize monetization. There is nothing “permanent” about this schedule, same as it ever was in college football.

Bjork is going to be proven as inept as every other mouth breathing aggy exec the last few years... He's out there in front of the camera while (I assume) CDC is behind the scenes polishing knobs... idk.. I'm just guessing we'll get the bigger end of the wishbone.

17 minutes ago, The Dog said:

okay then... thanks Billie.

• immamac changed the title to New SEC divisions and pods thread (Page 30 starts recent discussion)