New SEC divisions and pods thread (Page 30 starts recent discussion)

mdmost

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

So dumb but completely unsurprising 

SEC won't maximize their TV contracts with an 8-game league schedule.

I just see posturing and horse trading behind the scenes. I'm confident Sankey will get it worked out. Money talks, BS walks

20 minutes ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

We will fucking riot if it's an 8 game trash schedule.  JFC this is the easiest decision ever.

15 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

SEC won't maximize their TV contracts with an 8-game league schedule.

I just see posturing and horse trading behind the scenes. I'm confident Sankey will get it worked out. Money talks, BS walks

I agree with both of these posts. I'll fucking vomit if we get handed an 8 game schedule because of a bunch of mouthbreathing jellyfish can't muster the courage to play 9 conference games every year. As well, this looks like posturing and logic and $$ will win out in the end.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, gatormarc said:

Of course doing that would mean we are scheduling 12, 11, and 12 P5 teams those seasons.

Does the sec play big boy football or not?  Or, cancel the p5 games. Sec has shown that it has no problem scheduling September conference games to accommodate the November fcs game. 

16 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Does the sec play big boy football or not?  Or, cancel the p5 games. Sec has shown that it has no problem scheduling September conference games to accommodate the November fcs game. 

I don't think anyone has ever seriously accused Florida of playing a weak schedule.

During our 3 national title runs, we had the #1 or #2 rated schedule those years.

Last year sucked for us, but we also faced 3 Top 10 and 4 other top 25 teams.

Edited by gatormarc
  • Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

I agree with both of these posts. I'll fucking vomit if we get handed an 8 game schedule because of a bunch of mouthbreathing jellyfish can't muster the courage to play 9 conference games every year. As well, this looks like posturing and logic and $$ will win out in the end.

An 8-game SEC schedule makes zero sense with an expanded, 12-team CFB playoff.

7 hours ago, mdmost said:

So dumb but completely unsurprising 

Bama wants to flip LSU for the widely assumed MS State in the their permanent 3. Just f***ing give it to them. They already control the conference. No reason to drag this shit out. Get Bama rowing in the 9 game direction and the rest will follow suit. 

• Like 1

8 conference games has worked out so well for all these years, if tv money doesn’t boost something large, there is really no reason to go to 9 and possibly lose a team or 2 to the playoffs.

Personally I want 9. Playing ball state in November with single game tickets for $35 isn’t something I would travel for.

1 hour ago, markstanco said:

8 conference games has worked out so well for all these years, if tv money doesn’t boost something large, there is really no reason to go to 9 and possibly lose a team or 2 to the playoffs.

Personally I want 9. Playing ball state in November with single game tickets for $35 isn’t something I would travel for.

Would you trade that ball state game for a playoff appearance? I would, and until the rest of CFB stops rewarding the SEC for doing it, I think it’s smart. 

6 hours ago, GTNY said:

Would you trade that ball state game for a playoff appearance? I would, and until the rest of CFB stops rewarding the SEC for doing it, I think it’s smart. 

Are you saying teams are more likely to get in the Playoffs by dropping the FCS game and adding a conference game?

Edited by Laga4

Imagine having to play every conference member, (B12) currently does. It’s been at least a decade of the SEC’s November rest and relaxation during a week in November, where they schedule a patsy, while other conferences are playing head to head. No more!!! TV $$$ should dictate that.

Adding Texas and OU Sucks should put an end to that crap, even though my Alma Mater (McNeese) benefits from the November “money grab” week that the SEC currently schedules.

A nine game conference schedule will help rotate the home and home schedules of cross-divisional games.

Hook’em!!!

39 minutes ago, Scholz said:

You know aggy is pulling for 8. 

A) it’s why their record looks semi-decent 

B) those pussies wouldn’t have to play us every year. Our 1 permanent would be blowu and the other 7 would rotate.

A) Yes absolutely 

B) Probably not. Brent Z has consistently said aggy is playing Texas on Thanksgiving. 

I'm not sure on how scheduling will shake out, but we're playing OU and aggy every year. 

piggy desperately wants another game in Texas, and they hate us more than they love themselves, so I'm sure they're lobbying for a permanent game against us.

He's a member of the Pravada, but here goes : https://www.houstonchronicle.com/texas-sports-nation/college/article/sec-football-texas-a-m-lsu-prefer-nine-game-18097730.php

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, GTNY said:

If you have to rely on playing Ball State to get into the playoffs, then fuck you, you don't deserve to be in the playoffs.  Playing Ball State should automatically remove you from consideration for any postseason games, be they playoff or bowl games.

• Hook 'Em 1

46 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

If you have to rely on playing Ball State to get into the playoffs, then fuck you, you don't deserve to be in the playoffs.  Playing Ball State should automatically remove you from consideration for any postseason games, be they playoff or bowl games.

There should be even more emphasis on SOS with a 12-game playoff to justify your spot.

But, most sportswriters are either dumb and/or lazy. Just buy into the ESPN hype.

19 minutes ago, LonghornSean said:

Another factor working against nine games is ESPN may be reluctant to agree to an increased annual payout for the added inventory.

Probably this. I can’t think of any media company with tons of cash on hand right now. Disney + should have fought tooth and nail to keep Indian Cricket. 

I wish ESPN negotiated 9 games when they signed the SEC deal. 

1 hour ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

More SEC conference games would result in fewer SEC games to broadcast.  Losing a round of nonconference games would be 14 fewer games involving SEC teams and adding a round of conference games would only add back 7 games involving SEC teams.

Fair point, but a few of those non-conference games may be on the road and not belong to ESPN, and many of the home ones will be against Sisters of the Poor, and therefore less valuable than SEC conference matchups.

If it’s 8 and Texas is already set for 9, that is really going to screw things up. I’d imagine we’d have to schedule Big 12 teams to get more P5 opponents on the OOC schedule. Suboptimal. 

Big 12 teams I  don’t have a problem with: 

- WVU

- Iowa State (despite Surly posters)

- K State

- I guess Kansas. Hate them in hoops though

- TCU sans Fat Gare

37 minutes ago, Saint Austin said:

Even if a majority bitch out and request eight conference games in ‘24, can we revote when we’re official members and put our weight behind nine games?

Sankey really wants 9.

It wouldn't surprise me that if he can't get the vote, he kicks it down the road again until after this season or settles for a 2 year temporary 8-game schedule and tries again after OUT is in the league.

3 minutes ago, gatormarc said:

Sankey really wants 9.

It wouldn't surprise me that if he can't get the vote, he kicks it down the road again until after this season or settles for a 2 year temporary 8-game schedule and tries again after OUT is in the league.

Texas and Oklahoma are going to vote for 9 games due to the game in Dallas. They did not sign up for playing more G5/FCS teams at DKR/Gaylord.

I assume they’ll use that tactic if it come to it: “Look you’re just going to get outvoted when UT/OU join and look like pussies and make the conference look weak and indecisive if you vote for 8.”

• Hook 'Em 3

13 minutes ago, gatormarc said:

Sankey really wants 9.

I worry about the precedent if we go with 8 from the jump. Good luck clawing back bowl eligibility from South Carolina, Kentucky, piggy, aggy, and MS State. 

22 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I worry about the precedent if we go with 8 from the jump. Good luck clawing back bowl eligibility from South Carolina, Kentucky, piggy, aggy, and MS State. 

A&M supports the 9 game format. It's the only way they get the annual game back with UTx, and despite the 100 year decision talk, they want that game again. 

I'm not that worried about UK. From what I've ready, they just want the hard P5 requirement dropped so they can dump Louisville if the SEC goes to 9. I think the SEC drops it or turns it into a suggestion like the B1G has, and they get UTn, UGA, or UF as one of their 3, they'll vote for 9.

South Carolina will not drop Clemson so they won't be as easy to win over.

Auburn and Bama both really prefer 9, imo. They both just want more say in who the 3rd program is going to be (after UTn and AU for Bama; and UGA and Bama for AU).

If I had to guess, I think Tennessee might be on the flip side of the coin. Both Vandy and Kentucky consider them their top in-conference rival. I bet they'd prefer to have both as permanent rivals. For them, 1-7 works if they think they get Bama, if they are told that Auburn gets Bama, they probably vote 9.

14 minutes ago, gatormarc said:

A&M supports the 9 game format. It's the only way they get the annual game back with UTx, and despite the 100 year decision talk, they want that game again. 

I'm not that worried about UK. From what I've ready, they just want the hard P5 requirement dropped so they can dump Louisville if the SEC goes to 9. I think the SEC drops it or turns it into a suggestion like the B1G has, and they get UTn, UGA, or UF as one of their 3, they'll vote for 9.

Auburn and Bama both really prefer 9, imo. They both just want more say in who the 3rd program is going to be (after UTn and AU for Bama; and UGA and Bama for AU).

If I had to guess, I think Tennessee might be on the flip side of the coin. Both Vandy and Kentucky consider them their top in-conference rival. I bet they'd prefer to have both as permanent rivals. For them, 1-7 works if they think they get Bama, if they are told that Auburn gets Bama, they probably vote 9.

You must be new here. 

aggy would blood sacrifice Johnny Manziel to wiggle out of that game. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, gatormarc said:

If I am thinking about this strictly from a business perspective, I would hold the 9th conference game for the next media negotiation as a bargaining chip. If ESPN doesn't want to pay more for it, you could get a second partner for more revenue on that extra game. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Vertigo said:

If I am thinking about this strictly from a business perspective, I would hold the 9th conference game for the next media negotiation as a bargaining chip. If ESPN doesn't want to pay more for it, you could get a second partner for more revenue on that extra game. 

What do you think is about to happen when UT/OU join? They will be renegotiating.

The UK Louisville football series has never benefitted UK and was started by a basketball coach athletics director that didn't care about building a football program. There's very little in state football talent and no one outside the state cares about the game.

6 hours ago, John80 said:

The UK Louisville football series has never benefitted UK and was started by a basketball coach athletics director that didn't care about building a football program. There's very little in state football talent and no one outside the state cares about the game.

Why does this matter? Is recently top 10 ranked Kentucky football program that big of a bitch they can’t play a single P5 school each year? For fuck’s sake dump Louisville and schedule Illinois, Indiana, Wake Forest, Duke, Rutgers, Kansas, and Arizona. UK with SEC money out the ass, is playing games AT Toledo and AT Akron…they should be ridiculed to no end.

09/02 - Ball State

09/09 - Eastern Kentucky

09/16 - Akron

11/25 - at Louisville

08/31 - at Akron

09/21 - Ohio

11/16 - Murray State

11/30 - Louisville

08/30 - Toledo

09/13 - Eastern Michigan

11/15 - Tennessee Tech

11/29 - at Louisville

09/05 - Akron

09/19 - Youngstown State

09/26 - South Alabama

11/28 - Louisville

09/04 - Toledo

09/18 - Murray State

09/25 - Ball State

11/27 - at Louisville

09/02 - at Toledo

09/09 - Kent State

09/30 - Eastern Illinois

11/25 - Louisville

09/01 - Georgia Southern

11/24 - at Louisville

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

Why does this matter? Is recently top 10 ranked Kentucky football program that big of a bitch they can’t play a single P5 school each year? For fuck’s sake dump Louisville and schedule Illinois, Indiana, Wake Forest, Duke, Rutgers, Kansas, and Arizona. UK with SEC money out the ass, is playing games AT Toledo and AT Akron…they should be ridiculed to no end.

09/02 - Ball State

09/09 - Eastern Kentucky

09/16 - Akron

11/25 - at Louisville

08/31 - at Akron

09/21 - Ohio

11/16 - Murray State

11/30 - Louisville

08/30 - Toledo

09/13 - Eastern Michigan

11/15 - Tennessee Tech

11/29 - at Louisville

09/05 - Akron

09/19 - Youngstown State

09/26 - South Alabama

11/28 - Louisville

09/04 - Toledo

09/18 - Murray State

09/25 - Ball State

11/27 - at Louisville

09/02 - at Toledo

09/09 - Kent State

09/30 - Eastern Illinois

11/25 - Louisville

09/01 - Georgia Southern

11/24 - at Louisville

but SEC?

• immamac changed the title to New SEC divisions and pods thread (Page 30 starts recent discussion)