New SEC divisions and pods thread (Page 30 starts recent discussion)

mdmost

Just now, DFW Horn said:

Maybe so, but I think the SEC will throw aggy a bone and align them with LSU and the Mississippi's. We'll get OU, Arky, and Mizzou.

Sorry we reneged on our "gentleman's agreement'. emoji107.png

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

They would look like real pussies if that were to happen

1 hour ago, Zeus said:

As long as my Gators get to play LSU every year still. There's a good rivalry there I don't want to lose.

Rivals in division play every year, pods play eachother, other pods rotate between pods.

Fuck aggy

I think it's hilarious blowU is gonna ride our coattails wherever we want to go.

Super conferences here we come!

Yes I want this to go to ole miss every other year

Best Pod

Texas

blow U

piggy

Ole Miss

Bama's Pod

Alabama

auburn

Tennishit

aggy

LSU's Pod

LSU

Miss State

Mizzu

Vandy

Florida's Pod

Florida

Gawja

Kentucky

USC

Lsu would be in the catbird seat there

21 minutes ago, bamachine said:

Again, if this happens and we go to pods, the following should be the pods.

West pod-Horns, OU, aTm, Arkie

River pod-LSU, Mizzou, Ole Miss, MSU

Central pod-Bama, AU, UTN, Vandy

East pod-UGA, UF, SCar, UK

You play your three pod members, you have a fixed opponent in each of the other three pods, you play one other pod, rotating each year. Within 3 years, you have played every other team at least once. Bama's fixed opponents from other pods, Horns(because I say so plus already on schedule the next two years), LSU, SCar(AU-UGA, UF-UTN &Vandy-UK are already a thing).

Yep I like this as well. 

Texas plays (via that last tweet) OU, Aggie, Arky every year via podmates, Missouri as the permanent in the “river pod”  with LSU/Ole Miss/ Miss St cycling. You’ve got Texas as Bamas permanent which is why I think OU would get LSU, with Auburn, Tenn, Vandy rotating and I’d put Georgia with Texas and Florida with OU as permanents with the last pod and a rotation of Florida, SCar and UK. 

Year 1 - OU, Aggy, Arky, Missouri, Ole Miss, Bama, Tenn, Georgia, SCar

Year 2 - OU, Aggy, Arky, Missouri, LSU, Bama, Vandy, Georgia, Florida

Year 3 - OU, Aggy, Arky, Missouri, Miss St, Bama, Auburn, Georgia, UK

With the rotations, you can pick and choose as the schedule makers and balance everyone’s schedule out to where there’s 3-4 tough games and lighter games on each schedule. Texas would always see Bama, Georgia and an Auburn/Florida/LSU but also would always get a few Vandy/UK/Tennessee type games as well. 

Man if the SEC really does throw them a bone and doesn't have aggy in the same pod as Texas/OU, then the aggy's will never live it down.  WE already got them before for the conference making sure they couldn't play Texas in a Bowl Game. This would just cement they're scared.

37 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Or you do it the simpler way, that the SEC channel listed, and you basically play everyone every 2 years 

Odd Year: OU, Piggy, Mizzou, LSU, Ole Miss, Vandy, Auburn, Georgia, Kentucky

Even Year: OU, Piggy, Mizzou, Aggy, Miss State, Tennessee, Bama, Florida, South Carolina 

I'd be good with this

i'm against pods.  i'm for 3 protected rivalries each team that get played every year.  ex: bama might have aub, lsu, and tenn as its rivals, while aub might have bama, tenn, and uga.  uga would have aub, fla, and ___ (tenn?).  the other games fill in from the other 12 teams in conference. 

SEC sticking with 8 game schedules or going 9?

23 minutes ago, GTX Horn said:

Us, aggy, ou, and piggy in a pod makes the most sense for sure.

This sounds like a nightmare for Arkansas lol. But I guess as long as we don't have to play Alabama every year it's not like the schedule can get much harder. Wouldn't mind having Missouri instead of A&M...but we haven't been able to beat either one recently anyway.

1 minute ago, Laga4 said:

Would pod winners be seeded for Conference Championship? 

Two game playoff for SEC Champion? Then go to National Championship playoff?

Not sure. I would think the conference would just be reseeded based on overall W/L record with tiebreakers for head to head, crosspod results, etc. Then 1 and 2 face off in Atlanta. 

13 minutes ago, elfenix said:

i'm against pods.  i'm for 3 protected rivalries each team that get played every year.  ex: bama might have aub, lsu, and tenn as its rivals, while aub might have bama, tenn, and uga.  uga would have aub, fla, and ___ (tenn?).  the other games fill in from the other 12 teams in conference. 

If not my suggestion, this could work but absolutely go with the 9 game conference schedule(mine is 9). Play your 3 permanent, then play 6 others this year, the other 6 the next, then back to first six, flipping home field. After the 9 conf games, then two mandatory P4 OOC, 12th game can be any team, P4/G5/FCS.

3 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Not sure. I would think the conference would just be reseeded based on overall W/L record with tiebreakers for head to head, crosspod results, etc. Then 1 and 2 face off in Atlanta. 

That probably works or if they go with my idea, where the pods rotate, the winners of each temp affiliated pods combined, vs the winner of the other two tempo affiliated pods.

Also, would not be surprised if Jerry gets his mitts on the SECCG  every other year. Mercedes-Benz Dome one year, Jerryworld the next.

1 minute ago, bamachine said:

That probably works or if they go with my idea, where the pods rotate, the winners of each temp affiliated pods combined, vs the winner of the other two tempo affiliated pods.

Also, would not be surprised if Jerry gets his mitts on the SECCG  every other year. Mercedes-Benz Dome one year, Jerryworld the next.

Nah, keep it in Atlanta. F Jerry Jones and JerryWorld. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, maninblack said:

Not a fan of fixed opponents outside of your regional pod. Just play everyone every other year.

I think the only fixed opponent would be a protected rival such as putting Arkansas in a different pod but playing Texas every year. From what I've read the big current cross rivalries are LSU-Florida, Auburn-Georgia, and Tennessee-Bama. 

1 minute ago, mdmost said:

I think the only fixed opponent would be a protected rival such as putting Arkansas in a different pod but playing Texas every year. From what I've read the big current cross rivalries are LSU-Florida, Auburn-Georgia, and Tennessee-Bama. 

Especially those last two. The UF-LSU  one is a really good one but it is much more recent in nature. AU-UGA is the longest running rivalry in the conference and BAMA-Vols is second longest running.

7 minutes ago, bamachine said:

Especially those last two. The UF-LSU  one is a really good one but it is much more recent in nature. AU-UGA is the longest running rivalry in the conference and BAMA-Vols is second longest running.

If those are our biggest hurdles then there's not many problems

14 minutes ago, bamachine said:

Didn't the SEC add a permanent rival for everyone because of Tenn-Bama and AU-UGA?

I'll put this here instead of the other thread which adds 30 pages per hour.

I'm already hearing that OU and Texas aren't ready for that SEC schedule.  You move Bama and Barn to the East and now the West is the MS schools, Arky, Missouri, and Aggy.  That's hardly murderers row and in depending on the draw from the East you could end up with Vandy, UK, S'Carolina, etc.  

Schedule really isn't that difficult.  It's hard if you're a shitty team playing the good teams.  It's less difficult if you're one of those good teams playing the shitty teams.

• Hook 'Em 1

The only question is where Aggy or Arkansas end up (and Mizzou because of it)
Meaning whoever of Aggy or Arkansas throw a bigger hissy fit about being in the TX/OU pod. 
Piggy has less weight to throw around in the SEC than aggy. Figuratively of course..if it was literal they would run the conference.

20 minutes ago, Underdog said:

SEC needs to throw UK/Vandy a bone and have them as permanent opponents so each school has a decent chance of 1 conf. win.  

Kentucky has more conference wins in the last 5 seasons than Mizzou, Arkansas, Mississippi State, Ole Miss, Tennessee, or South Carolina.

When they look at the creampuffs other conferences are snacking on I would bet no more than 8

4 minutes ago, ousux said:
3 hours ago, elfenix said:

When they look at the creampuffs other conferences are snacking on I would bet no more than 8

I just don't see it. Saban has been vocally asking for 9 for a few years now and if you're ESPN you want as much value as possible. With the 7 of the top 10 college brands in the league and a 12 team playoff it's easy to see 4 teams getting in even with a 9 game schedule.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

I'll put this here instead of the other thread which adds 30 pages per hour.

I'm already hearing that OU and Texas aren't ready for that SEC schedule.  You move Bama and Barn to the East and now the West is the MS schools, Arky, Missouri, and Aggy.  That's hardly murderers row and in depending on the draw from the East you could end up with Vandy, UK, S'Carolina, etc.  

Schedule really isn't that difficult.  It's hard if you're a shitty team playing the good teams.  It's less difficult if you're one of those good teams playing the shitty teams.

oh for fucks sake ...

The only two rivalries that aren’t naturally dealt with by the pods listed is 

LSU-UF

LSU-Bama and the LSU-Bama one is only a recent Saban thing. But they will play each other every other year, so I don’t know how upset either school would be 

Red River, Egg Bowl, Iron Bowl, Cocktail Party, Bama-Tenn, LSU-Ole Miss are all taken care of with the pods. Even Aggy-Tex and Aggy-Ark if they go the SWC pod route 

12 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

The only two rivalries that aren’t naturally dealt with by the pods listed is 

LSU-UF

LSU-Bama and the LSU-Bama one is only a recent Saban thing. But they will play each other every other year, so I don’t know how upset either school would be 

Red River, Egg Bowl, Iron Bowl, Cocktail Party, Bama-Tenn, LSU-Ole Miss are all taken care of with the pods. Even Aggy-Tex and Aggy-Ark if they go the SWC pod route 

Auburn Georgia

18 minutes ago, mdmost said:

They do. We're going to their place so we're going to do with they want. 

I pinged a couple buddies and coworkers that are UGA alums. One said he'd like to play every year but was ok with every other year. One changed the subject and said the Florida/UGA game needs to be in Athens and Gainesville. And one said "Fuck Auburn". 

Based on my scientific data I feel like this isn't the biggest hurdle in the world.

Forget the rigid scheduling format and go to pods + NFL style scheduling for the other 5 or 6 conf games.  Just add the caveat of you must play every school at least once every 3 years, but otherwise you play your pod annually and then the rest is adjusted to maximize tv appeal and for strength of schedule based on prior year's finish.  Has the flexibility to accommodate cross pod annual rivalries while not wasting games on artificial out of pod annual rivalry matchups that no one actually cares much about.  Maximizes tv revenue so we get more high-profile contests per year.

• immamac changed the title to New SEC divisions and pods thread (Page 30 starts recent discussion)