Rockets vs Warriors

UDontKnow

Finally, the WCF we've been waiting for since SA/OKC in 2014. 2015 was supposed to be GS/LAC with all that bad blood until Josh Smith went nuts. 2016 was supposed to be GS/SA (though GS/OKC didn't exactly disappoint). We finally got GS/SA in 2017, but Kawhi's ankle why bye-bye. This should be good. CP3 has 3+ years of Warriors dominance against LAC and a lot of being on the wrong side of Steph highlights to stew on.

56 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Warriors in 6.

Well, we both agree on the amount of games, but I think the Warriors will fall; CP3 is able to push a still not healthy Steph at the point, & Green will have his hands full too...

Warriors in 7. Rockets will have to prove it to me on the flor for me to predict a series win.

but lol at warriors in 5 with the rockets barely stealing a game. You always know who the haters are as they are easy to spot. 

Rockets aren’t close to who they were last year and that’s easy to notice, defense is way better, cappella is a different player, cp3, tucker and moute are all better than anything we have had.

mentally we will see how they respond but this won’t be a 4-1 breeze for either team lullzzz.

I kinda would like to see Harden and CP3 get the monkey off their back and win.    Both still have A LOT to prove.  I just don't see it.   Much like TOR they will have to prove to me they can do it before I will believe it.

6 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

Rockets have less whiny betas and fake twitter accounts on their roster. Advantage: Houston?

Have you ever watched Chris Paul and James Harden play basketball?

I think the Warriors probably take it in 6, but I hope it's a great series with no disappearing acts by Harden. It would be nice to see a new team in the finals.   

If I'm not mistaken, both teams are at more or less full strength.  I think this series will be swayed by which team suffers an injury, or in draymonds case suspension.  If both teams stay healthy I have to go with gsw in 6.  They still have too much talent.  You look at the starting 5, the only place houston has a clear cut advantage is at the 2.  I guess Gordon is the best off the bench. 

Edited by dingleberryswitzer
Stuff

12 hours ago, kopp0e said:

Well, we both agree on the amount of games, but I think the Warriors will fall; CP3 is able to push a still not healthy Steph at the point, & Green will have his hands full too...

Does steph even guard CP?  Seems like they would put igoudala on him and let steph hang out with Tucker at the 3pt line.  

I think that's probably right as far as match ups go.  Key bench players may be worth noting, and other than Gordon and Livingston I don't know there are any additional likely difference makers.    

Where again do the Rockets have an advantage?  I don't see it.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Does steph even guard CP?  Seems like they would put igoudala on him and let steph hang out with Tucker at the 3pt line.  

They'll have Steph guarding CP3 plenty I'm guessing. He usually guarded him when CP3 was on the Clippers.  CP doesn't have the explosiveness or the height that would make it a huge mismatch.  Paul will have his moments (like he would against anybody), but Steph has historically won those match-ups.  If he starts on Ariza or Tucker, they're just going to use his man to screen and eventually get him on Harden or Paul anyway; might as well just simplify things...I'd rather have him on Paul than Harden.

That said, I can guarantee that one of Houston's strategy's will be to post up CP3 early and hopefully get Steph reaching and in quick foul trouble.

Edited by aggie08

24 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

They'll have Steph guarding CP3 plenty I'm guessing. He usually guarded him when CP3 was on the Clippers.  CP doesn't have the explosiveness or the height that would make it a huge mismatch.  Paul will have his moments (like he would against anybody), but Steph has historically won those match-ups.  If he starts on Ariza or Tucker, they're just going to use his man to screen and eventually get him on Harden or Paul anyway; might as well just simplify things...I'd rather have him on Paul than Harden.

That said, I can guarantee that one of Houston's strategy's will be to post up CP3 early and hopefully get Steph reaching and in quick foul trouble.

If they are smart they will 1-2 screen(or 1-3 screen depending on who he is guarding) to get Steph on Harden. Not only is that their best chance to get GS to have to help(thus getting the ball moving to open shooters), but it's also a way to get one of the most deadly shooters in the world off the floor with foul trouble.

Edited by Thatguy

1 hour ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

CP3 should post Steph up.

So should PJ Tucker if they are dumb enough to try and guard him with Steph.

As much as I love Durant, I want to see this baby get BTFO.

030316-NBA-Warriors-Stephen-Curry-PI-CH.

Of course the issue goes the other way too..... Who matches up with Curry?  We all know they can't matchup with KD.  I'd imagine Ariza goes on KD for length purposes but who tries to run around with Curry?  Paul?  Gordon?  God knows it ain't gonna be Harden but just like Houston will attack Curry on defense, the Warriors will attack Harden on defense.  Nowhere to hide except maybe on Iggy but the mismatch is just a pick away....

Edited by Patrick Bateman

1 hour ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

If I'm not mistaken, both teams are at more or less full strength.  I think this series will be swayed by which team suffers an injury, or in draymonds case suspension.  If both teams stay healthy I have to go with gsw in 6.  They still have too much talent.  You look at the starting 5, the only place houston has a clear cut advantage is at the 2.  I guess Gordon is the best off the bench. 

I'm betting on at least two nut kicks.

Rockets in 7.

Just now, Patrick Bateman said:

Of course the issue goes the other way too..... Who matches up with Curry?  We all know they can't matchup with KD.  I'd imagine Ariza goes on KD for length purposes but who tries to run around with Curry?  Paul?  Gordon?  God knows it ain't gonna be Harden but just like Houston will attack Paul, the Warriors will attack Harden on defense.  Nowhere to hide except maybe on Iggy but the mismatch is just a pick away....

Very true. There are mismatches all over the floor.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Of course the issue goes the other way too..... Who matches up with Curry?  We all know they can't matchup with KD.  I'd imagine Ariza goes on KD for length purposes but who tries to run around with Curry?  Paul?  Gordon?  God knows it ain't gonna be Harden but just like Houston will attack Curry on defense, the Warriors will attack Harden on defense.  Nowhere to hide except maybe on Iggy but the mismatch is just a pick away....

The thing with the Rockets are, they switch all on and off ball screens. So everybody guards everybody, a lot. This works if the team is locked in for helping and if each defender has a strategy for guarding each opposing player. I'm hoping they figure something out. They have been actually doing some pretty innovative and great things on defense, sagging, switching, shading ect...

If Capela can take away the rim, and everyone else can take away the 3. The Rockets have a chance. Durant may just go nuts at any moment, so I think somebody really needs to get into his head. Clay/Curry I'm not as worried about, Durant can go into unstoppable mode really easy, and you can't really double him. I think they will need to either shoot amazing or get nasty at some point to steal one in California. 

The warriors have 4 of the best 6 players in the series. They aren't losing this series or any other series, barring injury. They have been bored shitless for about a year. They finally have something to be fired up about. They can pretty much score whenever they want and their defense is twice as good as the rockets. 

Throw in the historical gag reflexes of Harden, CP3 and Dantoni and I don't see how Houston wins. The only advantage Houston has is home court, which means dick. 

I would be surprised if this series goes more than 5 games. 

Edited by Mitch Cumsteen
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Of course the issue goes the other way too..... Who matches up with Curry?  We all know they can't matchup with KD.  I'd imagine Ariza goes on KD for length purposes but who tries to run around with Curry?  Paul?  Gordon?  God knows it ain't gonna be Harden but just like Houston will attack Paul, the Warriors will attack Harden on defense.  Nowhere to hide except maybe on Iggy but the mismatch is just a pick away....

Harden will be on Iggy whenever they're on the court together, for sure.  That's the go-to hiding place for Love as well.  For whatever reason, they don't have Iggy set many ball screens, even when he's usually guarded by the other team's weakest link.  They may have to integrate more of those.

Safe to say that Houston IS going to see a metric ton of KD/Steph ball screens.  Getting Steph on Ariza isn't a horrible match-up for Houston, but KD on CP3?  LAC used to have CP3 take shifts on KD against OKC, basically having him get under KD's arms and agitate the shit out of him using his low base, but that was in Paul's youth...and it didn't work particularly well then. 

Eric Gordon is going to be huge in this series, offensively as the only other Rocket who can make his own play, and defensively as a guy that can chase around Steph, and still switch onto a taller wing.  Frankly, I think he's going to be the 'X' factor.  If Houston has any hope, he has to be huge.  Like severely outplaying Klay huge.

Edited by aggie08

3 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Bold Prediction: Draymond Green will do something dirty like a kick to the nuts of a Rockets player or he'll flail his arms and poke Capela's eyes, and the Rockets will be assessed a technical foul for it.

If this happens there is no way Gerald Green does not start some shit.