Rockets vs Warriors

UDontKnow

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

The warriors have 4 of the best 6 players in the series

I guess you must have missed the part where Capela has the following advantages over Draymond this postseason

1. Fewer Minutes Per Game
  2. Better FG%
  3. More Rebounds Per Game
  4. More Blocks Per Game
  5. Fewer Fouls Per Game
  6. Fewer Turnovers Per Game
  7. More Points Per Game

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

Harden will be on Iggy whenever they're on the court together, for sure.  That's the go-to hiding place for Love as well.  For whatever reason, they don't have Iggy set many ball screens, even when he's usually guarded by the other team's weakest link.  They may have to integrate more of those.

Safe to say that Houston IS going to see a metric ton of KD/Steph ball screens.  Getting Steph on Ariza isn't a horrible match-up for Houston, but KD on CP3?  LAC used to have CP3 take shifts on KD against OKC, basically having him get under KD's arms and agitate the shit out of him using his low base, but that was in Paul's youth...and it didn't work particularly well then. 

Eric Gordon is going to be huge in this series, offensively as the only other Rocket who can make his own play, and defensively as a guy that can chase around Steph, and still switch onto a taller wing.  Frankly, I think he's going to be the 'X' factor.  If Houston has any hope, he has to be huge.  Like severely outplaying Klay huge.

And KD is much more physical than he was back in those days as well.

10 hours ago, immortal13 said:

The Harden/Paul iso offense won't work against GS

I keep hearing this, and I'd like to hear the reasoning behind it.

Utah was #2 in the NBA in defensive efficiency.  And Houston hung 112 on them last night without getting anything from James Harden.

How and why are Golden State (#10 in defensive efficiency) going to shut down what Utah couldn't?  And please don't act like Rubio, the 10th best PG in the league at best, could've stopped Chris Paul last night.

In fact, let's go a little further...

Houston was #1 in offensive efficiency and #5 in defensive efficiency.

Golden State was #2 in offensive efficiency and #10 in defensive efficiency.

The Rockets won approximately 90% of their games this year when all five starters started.  And they're all healthy now.

Houston won 2 of 3 against GS this season.

Houston has home court.

So how exactly is anyone picking Golden State in 5 games?

Please, help me understand.

This is eerily reminiscent of another time a Texas team had no chance to beat a California dynasty...

Rockets in 7.

Edited by TexArcher

If you think that Golden State is the tenth best defense when they actually give a fuck, I have some waterfront property in Arizona to sell you.

But, you're right, the Warriors were, by far, the best defense in the league last season, and Cleveland scored almost at will against them in the Finals. Great offense beats great defense. No one is getting shut down in this series.

43 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Utah was #2 in the NBA in defensive efficiency.  And Houston hung 112 on them last night without getting anything from James Harden.

How and why are Golden State (#10 in defensive efficiency) going to shut down what Utah couldn't?  And please don't act like Rubio, the 10th best PG in the league at best, could've stopped Chris Paul last night.

The Rockets won approximately 90% of their games this year when all five starters started.  And they're all healthy now.

Houston has home court.

This is eerily reminiscent of another time a Texas team had no chance to beat a California dynasty...

Rockets in 7.

I'll tell you why. Because the Rocket haters think GS has been bored all year and when they try this series they will win 145-87 every game. 

• Haha 1

This series is at least going 6 games no matter what happens. If Capela/Gordon have a larger impact than Draymond/Klay, the Rockets will win in 6 or 7.

The Rockets will keep switching everything on defense but I would expect Harden to start on Draymond a decent amount of the time while Tucker, Ariza, and Mbah a Moute take turns guarding Durant.

3 hours ago, Simon Honeybone said:

I guess you must have missed the part where Capela has the following advantages over Draymond this postseason

2. Better FG%
  4. More Blocks Per Game
  5. Fewer Fouls Per Game
  7. More Points Per Game

I guess if you Just look at the box score then yea.  But do you actually watch them play?  

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Quagmire said:

Stop being such a sensitive pussy just because other people think another team will win. Most people hate the golden state cocky douches anyways.

Oh, I'm not upset.  I'd rather the Rockets feel disrespected and play with a chip on their shoulders.

I just don't understand how 95% of the world doesn't even think Houston can push the Warriors to 7.  Houston was better by every measure indicated above.

And the only response is something like, "yeah, but Golden State wasn't trying and now they'll try and it doesn't matter that Houston, when healthy, was almost unbeatable for the entire league all season."

I mean, okay.  I guess we'll see.

Edited by TexArcher

Steph Curry missed damn near half the season. Are you serious? You can take whatever happened in the regular season and set it on fire for all it's worth. 

Look, I hate both of these teams, but this warriors team is an historic collection of talent. If the rockets can give them a series, then much respect. But I don't think it's happening. 

3 hours ago, Simon Honeybone said:

2. Better FG%
  4. More Blocks Per Game
  5. Fewer Fouls Per Game
  7. More Points Per Game

Why is fewer minutes per game an advantage?  Are you concerned about one of the opponents having dead legs?  Just wondering.... and odd stat to quote.

I think people understand that regular season stats only mean so much.  A 1 seed just got swept by a 4 in the east.  Shoot, even the '16 warriors with the best record ever got taken down.  Anyone paying attention to the nba know that warriors are champions and harden, cp3 and dantoni have never delivered in the playoffs.  

The Rockets are averaging nearly 9 steals a game in the playoffs. The Warriors's offense turns the ball over. They averaged 16 in the 3 games against the Rockets, and the Rockets didn't have their full rotation healthy for one of those games. If this continues the Rockets will win the series.

Gordon, Mbah a Moute, and Tucker averaged 45 PPG in the 2 games where all 3 played. While the Warriors have 4 of the top 6, and really Capela is closer to that tier than he's not. The Rockets own the next tier of players in this series, and it's not close. For the Warriors to win this series, they are going to need their bench to step up a lot more than they have so far in playoffs.

Edited by HtownHorn

3 hours ago, TexArcher said:

Houston has home court.

Rockets in 7.

Rubio was hurt

2 hours ago, Quagmire said:

Stop being such a sensitive pussy just because other people think another team will win. Most people hate the golden state cocky douches anyways.

This. I guess we will have to have a separate game thread for non-Houston fans, so we can have a place to post without the Rockets fans crying like little bitches

• Like 1

13 hours ago, immortal13 said:

The Harden/Paul iso offense won't work against GS

In heavy doses. Rockets need to push the ball and get a lot of transition shots. The more they play in the half court, the more they will struggle.

Harden can't fall in love with dancing in isolation. Warriors are to good defensively to allow iso ball to beat them. Much like the Spurs did last year, Warriors will eat that up.

10 hours ago, d2o said:

I kinda would like to see Harden and CP3 get the monkey off their back and win.    Both still have A LOT to prove.  I just don't see it.   Much like TOR they will have to prove to me they can do it before I will believe it.

Im here too. I think man for man the Rockets match up well. But they will have to show me. I expect close games with the Rockets having 4-5 mins stretches were they lose focus and allow the Warriors to get separation.

I hope both sides stay healthy and give us a great series.

9 minutes ago, immortal13 said:

This. I guess we will have to have a separate game thread for non-Houston fans, so we can have a place to post without the Rockets fans crying like little bitches

Lol. I created this thread especially for you and 52-80. A safe space for you two agitators.

I think it will be a great series. In my opinion, these are the best 2 teams in the NBA. Too bad that they can't re-seed all playoff teams, so they could meet in the Finals.

Houston is scary good offensively, but yet they don't run an offensive system like Golden State does. The Warriors actually look more vulnerable this year than they have in the past 4. I'm predicting GS in 6, but if they fuck around and let Houston spank them in the first 2 games, this series could turn into a Rockets win in 6 or less. I personally can't wait for this one. 

Edited by immortal13

13 minutes ago, immortal13 said:

Don't worry - we game post on our season thread.

But the only one crying like a bitch here is you.  Everyone else is having a decent debate/conversation.  You're just threadshitting because you have nothing to add.

Completely understand why people expect Golden State to win the series, especially if they've watched the Rockets play the first two rounds. 

But Houston should play up to their competition this time around  Utah is a really solid defensive team, and I see the Rockets playing with more offensive rhythm in the WCF.  Golden State has the ability to lock down on defense, but they are not consistent at all.  They know they are the best team, and they play like it with casual arrogance and no real sense of urgency most of the time. 

I think rotations and adjustments early on in the series will be crucial for Houston to win. Kerr makes some questionable rotation decisions. There've been times KD, Steph, and Draymond are all on the bench, and it's basically just the Klay show with 4 other guys out there. Rockets need to take advantage if those situations arise.  Personally, I would have one of their Big 3 on the court at ALL times, but I hope Kerr keeps doing that shit. 

For the Rockets, I really think Ryan Anderson needs to get playing time.  When he's on the court it really spreads out the floor and keeps guys like KD and Draymond from being able to help defend as they can't sag off of RA. 

Nene should only play if Javale gets minutes, and I think both coaches would be fine leaving them both on the bench for most, if not all of the game.  Both teams should be running with their small lineups, which means we need to maximize the amount of shooters on the floor. I think Gerald Green should only get meaningful PT if we're desperate for some instant offense/hero ball and he's feeling it. Otherwise keep his minutes down.

I don't think Houston should focus too much defensively on KD. He's unguardable and will get his points no matter what.  Key is to try and slow down Klay and Steph.  If you told me right Klay will a "great" series, I'd say we're absolutely doomed. He is the X factor IMO. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, hookem48 said:

The Warriors run an offense, the Rockets just jack up 3's. I hope I'm wrong but this isn't going to end well

This is partially why I'm picking Warriors in 6. Because they run an offense and are healthy now. The Jazz may have had a "great" defense but ran a Shaka Smart offense. Pass the ball around the perimeter until somebody gathered enough courage to take their man one-on-one. And then if you miss watch Gobert follow up soft or get boxed out repeatedly. Draymond ain't playing that soft shit, and the Rockets will actually have to defend a whole floor. We'll see...

12 hours ago, hookem48 said:

The Warriors run an offense, the Rockets just jack up 3's. I hope I'm wrong but this isn't going to end well

So let me make sure I understand your point here.  So your opinion is that the team that just had a top 11 (and before the last 10 games of the season was top 5 and at one point number 1 and still less than 1 point off first) offensive efficiency rating of all time doesn't run an offense?  Really?  

While it's not a typical offense or one you are used to seeing, it's definitely a run offense set to take advantage of mismatches and static pass out points.  One that lulls teams to sleep and then runs backdoor cuts to eat you alive as soon as you get complacent.  

What GSW runs is beautiful, it also takes tons and tons of energy and effort every single possession (except the ones they quickly jack a 3 up just like the Rockets do).  

While GSW may very well win this series, it's going to be a great one and a lot of fun to watch.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Rockets will also make Curry defend either Harden or Paul. They will run pnr with anyone that Curry is guarding to get the matchups they want.

They have to do this every single time on offense.  If Steph is not 100% then they have a chance.

Huge Rockets fan, but think this is likely GS in 5 or 6. The Rockets still have too many spans where they can't hit anything and lose defensive discipline. Those turn into 10-0 GS runs

Hope I'm wrong but GS is the best team in history... the talent they have is ridiculous.

Only factor is if Eric Gordon can go off... if he plays at an all star, or close to it level, the Rockets have a chance. But he has been so cold in the playoffs Im not expecting it

I think one thing to consider and this is to Houston's benefit is both Klay and KD are coming in shooting like shit from 3.  KD shot 32.1% in the Cans series.  Klay was 27.9%.  Other than games 1 and 2 of the Spurs series where Klay was crazy hot, both have struggled with their long distance shot these playoffs.  Shaun Livingston is playing some shitty ball coming in.  Nick Young is a ghost.  Zaza has fallen out of the rotation, McGee has seen his minutes severely limited.  West is still a rock for 12-14 minutes but the Warriors bench is really searching for contributions.  They're relying on guys like Quinn Cook and Kevin Looney.  Guys with no playoff experience.  As expected when you have 4 superstars, the bench looks to be getting thin.  They're fine for the regular season, but as Toronto and Portland showed, the post-season is a different animal.  Coming in.... the bench looks to be an advantage to the Rockets.

Edited by Patrick Bateman

21 hours ago, Simon Honeybone said:

2. Better FG%
  4. More Blocks Per Game
  5. Fewer Fouls Per Game
  7. More Points Per Game

You must've missed watching the actual games where Draymond guards the paint like a center and facilitates the offense like a point guard.

17 hours ago, TexArcher said:

Oh, I'm not upset.  I'd rather the Rockets feel disrespected and play with a chip on their shoulders.

I just don't understand how 95% of the world doesn't even think Houston can push the Warriors to 7.  Houston was better by every measure indicated above.

And the only response is something like, "yeah, but Golden State wasn't trying and now they'll try and it doesn't matter that Houston, when healthy, was almost unbeatable for the entire league all season."

I mean, okay.  I guess we'll see.

Replace Houston with Toronto, and Golden State with Cleveland, and ya... same narrative.

The only team that pushed the Warriors last year was in the Finals, and they looked fucking unstoppable.

Don't get me wrong. I'd love a seven game series with these two teams knocking down shots, but I just don't see any way that the Rockets win four out of seven.

Edited by Chult86