Negative Recruiting Your Own School: The aggy Screenshot Megathread

texifornia

My favorite part of all of this is the fact that it was only a few weeks ago when aggy was still proudly bragging "#dontcaregotJimbo" as if that was some sort of own. 

Honest question: has there ever been a shittier contract negotiated in all of Sports history?

This makes Master P look like he has a Master's degree in contract law.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

20 minutes ago, Sejjr said:

My favorite part of all of this is the fact that it was only a few weeks ago when aggy was still proudly bragging "#dontcaregotJimbo" as if that was some sort of own. 

Honest question: has there ever been a shittier contract negotiated in all of Sports history?

Maybe Bobby Bonilla.... maybe

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Can you do better than jimbo has to be a new low for aggy, for $95 million almost guaranteed and plenty of money to spend on coordinators…I’m actually pretty sure I could do better. Hire some guys that know what they’re doing for $1.5 mill a year and get out of the way haha. You gotta be able to stumblefuck (thanks ctj) to at least 9 wins with that much talent and a decent coaching staff. This is going to become a season to remember if it continues on its current trajectory and we’ve got a front row seat. Haha 

3 hours ago, WinningIsHard said:

Can you do better than jimbo has to be a new low for aggy, for $95 million almost guaranteed and plenty of money to spend on coordinators…I’m actually pretty sure I could do better. Hire some guys that know what they’re doing for $1.5 mill a year and get out of the way haha. You gotta be able to stumblefuck (thanks ctj) to at least 9 wins with that much talent and a decent coaching staff. This is going to become a season to remember if it continues on its current trajectory and we’ve got a front row seat. Haha 

Plus he has already been paid $30M, so he will bilk those dipshits for a cool $125M.   

21.5M due in 60 days then >7M a year for the next 10 is why aggy is not firing him any time soon.  
You can bet they are looking for cause, but it’s the same people who wrote the contract in the first place.  

This has to be one of the greatest slow motion sports spectacles of all time unfolding right before us.  It’s like the vanguard TV3 rocket launch, you have all seen it, the one where the rocket lifts off but you just know something is wrong.  It slows to a stall before slowly sinking back and crashing spectacularly.  

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, WinningIsHard said:

Actually it's old school Texags and Aggie. When they were terrible in the early century, there were two loser POVs you could count on.

1. Do you think you know more than a professional coach? Shut up and yell for the team!

2. All this negativity is making the team sad and making us look like bad fans. We're Aggies! We support our team no matter what. I don't know about you 2%ers, but I'll be in the stands yelling my lungs out this Saturday. If you don't feel the same, Hwy 6 runs both ways.

Actually another thing they would do to deflect criticism of a coach was create a Catch 22. During the season, you can't criticize the coach until the end of the season because there's a lot of football to play! After the crappy season, you can't complain because it will hurt recruiting. Then by summer time they're all floating in the Kool Aid pool getting ready to board the rollercoaster.

• Hook 'Em 3

12 hours ago, Sejjr said:

the Sumlin buyout is up there in the top 5/10:

But the contract between Sumlin and the Aggies didn't officially end until Jan. 10. Per the terms of Sumlin's five-year, $30 million guaranteed deal signed in 2015, A&M had to pay the remaining salary within 60 days of his termination.

A&M didn't need the full time frame to hold up its end of the bargain. The payments to Sumlin and his corporation, #YESSIR!, were completed by mid-February, less than a month after he was named Arizona's next football coach.

having to pay the FULL buyout within 60 days of termination is terrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrible.

• Hook 'Em 3

There was an aggy on Texags talking about their stupidity when it comes to contracts and he brought up their soccer coach. Apparently, their soccer coach just received a 4 year extension while being 3-10 in the SEC the last two seasons. I thought this was a joke but it's true. 

Are they really this stupid? 

https://12thman.com/news/2022/7/27/soccer-guerrieri-receives-four-year-contract-extension.aspx

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

The really funny thing is that aggy fucked up the initial contract by not getting buyout language into the initial contract and THEN compounding that by not adjusting the contract when they foolishly extended him after the 9-1 COVID season.

Reminds me of the old aggy joke where an aggy and a Longhorn are sitting around watching football highlights. Before a crucial play, the aggy pokes his Longhorn buddy in the ribs and says, "Hey, I bet you $100 they don't score on this play" to which the Longhorn quickly says, "You're on!" Well, of course the team goes on to score on the play and the aggy hands $100 to the Longhorn. The Longhorn says to his buddy, "Why did you bet me? We saw that game earlier. You knew he scored." The aggy thought for a second and said, "Well, I didn't think he could do it AGAIN!"

I think the Aggies fucked up from the get-go by falling all over themselves in drooling awe of Jimbo. I feel like those dumbasses approached Fisher's agent saying they would and could do anything to get him. Remember how proud they were about how much they paid instead of wondering why they had to pay so much to get a coach with a losing record (sitting NC coach who knows how to win an NC!!!!!) to come to their shithole.

It's also interesting that Fisher waited a long time to sign his contract. Was this a final show of reluctance to keep Aggies on the edge of their seats? OMG! He might leave us! Then LSU seems to come calling and Aggies shit their pants and proudly pour more money on Jimbo.

Then, of course, comes this Covid year bump. I wonder if Jimbo's agent floated the idea that Jimbo was again a hot commodity. Better lock him down!

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Treefidy said:

Plus he has already been paid $30M, so he will bilk those dipshits for a cool $125M.   

21.5M due in 60 days then >7M a year for the next 10 is why aggy is not firing him any time soon.  
You can bet they are looking for cause, but it’s the same people who wrote the contract in the first place.  

This has to be one of the greatest slow motion sports spectacles of all time unfolding right before us.  It’s like the vanguard TV3 rocket launch, you have all seen it, the one where the rocket lifts off but you just know something is wrong.  It slows to a stall before slowly sinking back and crashing spectacularly.  

Aggies did this with Jimbo too. Often a contract will say there is a duty to mitigate damages. I.e. if I owe Jimbo $8M a year but he gets a new head coaching job for $7M a year, then I only have to pay $1M a year because the damages have been mitigated by his new employment. Jimbo's contract has no such stipulation. They are on the hook for it all period, unless there is cause. Most of the cause in his contract has to do with infractions, failure to report, etc. They are fucked.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, LW Goatman said:

Aggies did this with Jimbo too. Often a contract will say there is a duty to mitigate damages. I.e. if I owe Jimbo $8M a year but he gets a new head coaching job for $7M a year, then I only have to pay $1M a year because the damages have been mitigated by his new employment. Jimbo's contract has no such stipulation. They are on the hook for it all period, unless there is cause. Most of the cause in his contract has to do with infractions, failure to report, etc. They are fucked.

i would guess this becomes more commonplace - no offsets - if you can negotiate it in.

52 minutes ago, LW Goatman said:

spacer.png

2 hours ago, LW Goatman said:

christmas vacation GIF

What's amazing about this shit is that Jimbo would've come to aggy for probably $3-4M/year. As pointed out many times in this thread, FSU was sick of his shit. He was just looking to get another job. aggy goes way above and beyond and gives the guy a guaranteed gazillion dollars. Why? To show the world that they are finally serious about winning a NC after a 70 year drought? 

Fucking aggy. They are too fucking stupid for their own good.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

What's amazing about this shit is that Jimbo would've come to aggy for probably $3-4M/year. As pointed out many times in this thread, FSU was sick of his shit. He was just looking to get another job. aggy goes way above and beyond and gives the guy a guaranteed gazillion dollars. Why? To show the world that they are finally serious about winning a NC after a 70 year drought? 

Fucking aggy. They are too fucking stupid for their own good.

It was 100% their fear of being embarrassed.

They could have gotten him for 50% of what they paid, but you know they were already certain that lsu wanted him, and wanted to preemptively cut off that route by giving him a contract they felt lsu (or anyone else, for that matter) wouldn't try to beat.  It was that important to them not to be seen as a stepping stone school if he left for a better opportunity.

They were right, too.  Not one single school is going to try to offer more to Jimbo to get him to leave.  So, mission accomplished, I guess?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

They could have gotten him for 50% of what they paid, but you know they were already certain that lsu wanted him, and wanted to preemptively cut off that route by giving him a contract they felt lsu (or anyone else, for that matter) wouldn't try to beat.  It was that important to them not to be seen as a stepping stone school if he left for a better opportunity.

They were right, too.  Not one single school is going to try to offer more to Jimbo to get him to leave.  So, mission accomplished, I guess?

You can also figure Aggie logic ruled that somebody getting paid $100MM must be really good! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, LW Goatman said:

the actual contract language is too good to not post:

4AFB24A4-FF6A-4BC8-AADD-12817310F2BC.png

• Haha 2
  • Drool 1

7 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

I'd forgotten that LSU was in the mix. Here's a funny idea. Had he gone to LSU, he would not have hired Brady. Burrow + Brady was a alignment of the stars for LSU. Doubtful they win the NC with Jimbo, even with Burrow.

So aggy hiring Jimbo helped LSU win a NC. LSU fired Ogre, who won them a freaking NC, because they realize he sucks as a coach and got lucky with Burrow and Brady. Meanwhile aggy is still mired in mediocrity ignoring who Jimbo really is and trying to convince themselves that Jimbo is going to get them there. Jimbo isn't going to make a Brady type hire. 

• Haha 2

image.png.f9c6ce83ce5bc0fb2689be46cad4bbc5.png

Your honor, if it please the court, plaintiff would like to void this contract based on the plainly self-evident grounds that Coach Fisher did not recognize the importance of his promise to Texas A&M University. We've got a lot of hurt feelings here in the A&M family, and we'd like our money back.

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

image.png.f9c6ce83ce5bc0fb2689be46cad4bbc5.png

Your honor, if it please the court, plaintiff would like to void this contract based on the plainly self-evident grounds that Coach Fisher did not recognize the importance of his promise to Texas A&M University. We've got a lot of hurt feelings here in the A&M family, and we'd like our money back.

Seriously, can some Surly lawyer explain why that sentence is in the agreement, given that the next sentences say fisher would owe nothing? What’s the point?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Seriously, can some Surly lawyer explain why that sentence is in the agreement, given that the next sentences say fisher would owe nothing? What’s the point?

I'm not a lawyer, but allow me:

We want you to know just how much we love and need you and please don't leave us. 

There's no point, other than their rampant insecurity. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Haha 1

It's not my trick money that makes you love me, Jimbo?

No baby.

It's not the money, it's--

I love you, baby. You're my favorite. You know that.

(Sighs) Oh Jimbo, I need to believe that you love me.

Of course I do, baby. Now where my money at?

Edited by RomaVicta

26 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Not an employment lawyer, but more than once a client on the business side has asked me for a stupid fucking provision with no enforceability whatsoever just because seeing it in writing makes them feel better. I guess there is some theory that including that provision might give you more of a hook for a fraud claim by helping to establish reliance, but that doesn't seem real world in my view.  

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Not an employment lawyer, but more than once a client on the business side has asked me for a stupid fucking provision with no enforceability whatsoever just because seeing it in writing makes them feel better. I guess there is some theory that including that provision might give you more of a hook for a fraud claim by helping to establish reliance, but that doesn't seem real world in my view.  

This, its small dick energy, and aggy is so insecure they included that statement.

Is there no Right of First Refusal in employment contracts? Pay Jimbo $4-5 million a year, and if someone comes along and offers him more, A&M would have the opportunity to match it, and obligate Jimbo to stay at A&M? I'm not an attorney, but I have read a contract or two.

CHIEF

2 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

There is literally no point other than to make yourself look like a naive dipshit.  I would be mortified if my company ever even suggested putting something like that in there.  There is no benefit at all.  “Coach is REALLY important to us but he can leave whenever he wants if he feels like it”.  Jesus 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Also mostly not an employment lawyer, but I would bet the original draft ended with “so you owe us X million if you leave for another job because we’ll be fucked” and got negotiated down to “no hard feelings though.”

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Man, I’ve also negotiated a bunch of contracts, employment and other, and I’ve never seen worthless “feelings” being expressed in those contracts. What a bunch of rubes. 

aggy law school thinks your reliance on statutes and case law is nice and all but definitely doesn’t constitute good bull

• Haha 5

I love that everyone here had the same reaction reading that part.

I read it and thought "wouldn't it be better to just leave that clause out altogether?"

You could argue it might look like an oversight not to mention buyouts/penalties for leaving, but is unintentionally excluding that section really worse than intentionally including this version?  I'm not so sure.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

• texifornia changed the title to Negative Recruiting Your Own School: The aggy Screenshot Megathread