Negative Recruiting Your Own School: The aggy Screenshot Megathread

texifornia

28 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Have any of y'all ever looked at Santucci's resume prior to being hired at aggy?  Here is his P5 position coaching experience before Jimbo brought him on:

2019 - Wake Forest (Linebackers)

That's it.  The dude that is actively destroying their LB room has no inherent ties to Texas and has a weaker resume than the chick that was riding with Petrino on his motorcycle, yet there is no indication that he is even on a hot seat.  

he was an Elko guy I thought?

1 hour ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

I can't believe Elijah Robinson continues to stick around.  They must be paying him a shit ton of moneu.

Stick around long enough and maybe they slap an "Interim Head Coach" tag on him 2 or 3 years from now when they finally raise the funds for Jimbo's buyout.

6 minutes ago, hook me said:

Jimbo: What are your demands?

BP: Full control of the offensive play calling, implementation, recruiting decisions, on & off field assistants, & $1mm/year + bonuses.

Jimbo: I can do $1.5mm/year, you get absolutely no say in anything on the offensive side of the ball but I'll get you a new motorcycle & I get to watch what you do with any coed &/or my wife will be none of my business.

BP: gig me.. i mean gig 'em!

Fixed.

• Hook 'Em 1

No matter how many times I see this play out, I am always shocked at aggy's ability to fuck shit up.

There's a case to be made that this is a good hire.  (I mean, I wouldn't want to make it, but the propagandists at texags certainly have enough to cobble together a triumphant press release - and they surely will.)  But because that fanbase, at the encouragement of the same folks who will be trying to spin this in the near future, always goes full aggy, they couldn't help themselves and started speculating about every name on the market, no matter how unreasonable.  Now, a week before signing day, they will engulf themselves in a negative perception that, internally at least, will almost entirely be of their own creation. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Man, this is aggy tears overdose territory.  So beautiful.

Absolutely love that it appears Petrino is the guy.  Only Briles or Sumlin would have been better from the perspective of the potential for complete disaster.

Also love that Riley turned them down.  They can't imagine anyone turning them down, ever.  In their minds, the OC at aggy is just so obviously better than any job anywhere.  <Counterpoint:  no, aggy, actually being OC at his current team is a better job than aggy.  You know, the job that pays well, has a team in the CFI, and with a program that has a sustained record of success over the last 20 years?>.  Riley probably moves on after the CFI, but it won't be to aggy.  That's beautiful.  

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

No matter how many times I see this play out, I am always shocked at aggy's ability to fuck shit up.

There's a case to be made that this is a good hire.  (I mean, I wouldn't want to make it, but the propagandists at texags certainly have enough to cobble together a triumphant press release - and they surely will.)  But because that fanbase, at the encouragement of the same folks who will be trying to spin this in the near future, always goes full aggy, they couldn't help themselves and started speculating about every name on the market, no matter how unreasonable.  Now, a week before signing day, they will engulf themselves in a negative perception that, internally at least, will almost entirely be of their own creation. 

I wouldn't say it's their ability to fuck this shit up, it's much more that no one wants to go there. It's a shitty town in the middle of Texas surrounded by cow pastures and other small towns. There is nothing exciting about being a coach there, especially if you are young and have kids.

Seriously, when is the last time they hired a guy that was young and had kids?

Sherrill, Slocumb, Franchione, Sherman, Sumlin, and Fisher. Fisher has a young kid, the other kid he brought in only long enough for him to use him to illegally contact other players, while his son was playing HS football. As soon as he graduated the eldest son was sent packing back to Florida.

Hell, even the last big hires. Sumlin hiring out to pasture Chavis. Jimbo hiring 3 old as fuck retreads last year, and now Petrino. At least, Petrino would be replacing old as fuck Dickey. His two younger assistants have seen massive defections to the portal at LB and DB.

2 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

I wouldn't say it's their ability to fuck this shit up, it's much more that no one wants to go there. It's a shitty town in the middle of Texas surrounded by cow pastures and other small towns. There is nothing exciting about being a coach there, especially if you are young and have kids.

College Station is essentially just like Katy or Round Rock with the major city being 1 hour away. Fans want it to be the town, but it's not. If that was the case, there'd be a shit ton of other colleges where coaches don't want to go there. 

It's not the town--it's the university and the people that occupy (and have occupied) that university. It's also that A&M believes they are a blue blood but they are the only people that think that. So they demand blue blood type winning (not just in football but in all sports) when they have no culture that shows that in any sport. They believe themselves to be Texas and better than Texas in everything and try to act like it, but in reality they are a Minnesota, South Carolina, West Virginia, or Arizona State. 

That's really it.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

image.png.c0aa4c4fed59d38866326684df3dbf33.pngimage.png.61ca97804cb0fd8f8cf1acfb2a8f03d3.png

This first screenshot made me legit lol, so thanks for that, random 247 poster. The second one that was just a few posts away from the one that made me lol is the chef's kiss of their delusion. Let's break it down...

• Having a former HC on staff will motivate the current HC to do better. 

Has this really ever happened? It's possible, but I would expect this to be the exception to the rule. It's not likely that a former HC is going to push the current HC, unless the former HC is young and motivated. We know that in most cases, former HC up in years do not suddenly find that fire they had, particularly when they have plenty of money in the bank. Also, HC's have huge egos and could give a shit what their assistant coach thinks they should do.

• The former HC will be motivated to get another head coaching position.

Actually, most former HC that are in the position that Petrino is in, are just happy to have a job in general. Like one of the posters said, this is a gift if they hire Petrino, and Petrino knows it. Dude will smile all the way to the bank, just like Jimbo is doing. Plus, Petrino is 61 and Kiffin is 47. IT's not that big in the grand scheme, but that is a world of difference in the coaching profession and to recruits.

• Not sure why everyone is getting their panties in a twist if they hire Petrino.

See reasons listed above, but honestly it's because those people realize the implications and writing on the wall. College football is moving at the speed of light, at the moment, and this hire has the potential to keep their program down even longer.

I have an aggy buddy that keeps telling me Jimbo understands he HAS to make a change or else. I asked him what the "or else" means since Jimbo doesn't have to do a thing and will still get paid either way, and he says that the people in charge will start to apply pressure. So, I ask what will that do? How would you motivate Jimbo or apply pressure if you were A&M AD? "Well, you just got to tell him... that we have higher expectations for his teams and outcomes." Again though, what is his motivation to do something or better? Reputation, maybe? Crickets.

• Hook 'Em 4

Their disbelief in the notion that Petrino could be the OC is so fucking awesome. They're completely shocked by what's happening and it was completely predictable. Fisher would muddle around until he was able to make a shitty comfort hire, and he would be enabled to do that by any OC worth a shit not having any interest in coming near that program. 

If they go through with this and hire Petrino, the entire posting base on 247 and Texags will be completely behind the Petrino hire by this time next week.

• Hook 'Em 7

• texifornia changed the title to Negative Recruiting Your Own School: The aggy Screenshot Megathread