Austin Restaurants You Miss The Most

DoobieWah

Guest Lobo

What was the kind of outfitter-themed restaurant that was in the spot on Lake Austin now used by Cain & Abel's next to Hula Hut?  I went on a couple of dates there (was as high end as I could afford) in the mid-90's after moving to Austin?  That and Basil's were my go-to places for dates after college to try and impress a lady.  

And I miss Holiday House.   Hell, I'll even add that I miss Tres Amigos simply because Vaqueor's has been such an epic disappointment.

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

What was the kind of outfitter-themed restaurant that was in the spot on Lake Austin now used by Cain & Abel's next to Hula Hut?  I went on a couple of dates there (was as high end as I could afford) in the mid-90's after moving to Austin?  That and Basil's were my go-to places for dates after college to try and impress a lady.  

And I miss Holiday House.   Hell, I'll even add that I miss Tres Amigos simply because Vaqueor's has been such an epic disappointment.

Sounds like you're talking about the original restaurant in that building, called The Lodge at Lakeview.  Which was the evolution of the Lakeview Cafe' which was across the street and honestly, a lot better IMO.

But the Lodge at Lakeview did have $1 Celis night on Thursdays, I believe, so I'll remember it fondly for that.

Edited by utee94
  • Like 1

Ha. Lodge at Lakeview. I was a bartender and waiter there. Good chicken fried steak and nightly specials.

Great $$ for a server for mid 90s Austin. Usually could count on $100-150/night Th-Sun and I was out of there by 10.

On 5/14/2018 at 6:19 PM, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Pinch a Pollo on Burnet.   

I saw this thread and expected to see many of my old favorites (GM, Mad dogs, etc.) but this was a surprise and brought back great memories.  You could only get chicken there, perfectly grilled with a killer Mexican citrus marinade.   We have Regio now in Dallas and it's good.  Every time I get it, I think of Pinch a Pollo.

Damn the name escapes me. Maybe French door?  Was a family run sandwich shop on Lake Austin’s blvd just west of Magnolia cafe. Once a week she did a homemade meatloaf sandwich I still miss. 

Kitchen Door.

Now a dentist who hangs her tits out there.
  • Like 1

Another Raw Deal, on West 6th.  Basically where Z'Tejas is now.  Steak, Whiskey and a great juke box.

Jake's on 5th Street, just east of Lamar.  Great fried oysters, juke box and a wavy shuffleboard.

Sid's on North Lamar, south of 38th Street, where a post office is now located.  The Rat Pack would have loved that joint until the day it closed.

La Fiesta at North Loop and Burnet Road.  Great tex-mex and huge murals depicting the battles of the Alamo and San Jacinto -- kinda' interesting given that it was a tex-mex place!

Edited by DalTxHornFan

Guest Lobo

I'd like to finger her.  In her mouth.  With my penis.  Does that count or oral health?  
What is this thread about again?  

My wife would say castle hill. More for the fond memories with friends than the food. The Corazon version of the place closed a while back. Food was fine and the service was really good when I went. There is just too much competition to survive as a "pretty good" independently owned restaurant these days. You don't have the familiarity and advertising support of a big corporation and you don't have the buzz of all the great local options. It will stay a restaurant so I'm interested to see what goes in there. 

Edited by Larry T. Spider

Guest Lobo
4 hours ago, Larry T. Spider said:

My wife would say castle hill. More for the fond memories with friends than the food. The Corazon version of the place closed a while back. Food was fine and the service was really good when I went. There is just too much competition to survive as a "pretty good" independently owned restaurant these days. You don't have the familiarity and advertising support of a big corporation and you don't have the buzz of all the great local options. It will stay a restaurant so I'm interested to see what goes in there. 

You sure it will stay a restaurant?  It's been 3-4 years since Corazon closed down and there's not so much as a whiff of interest in any operator taking over that space/lease.  I think it has a better chance of being absorbed into LatinWorks.  

On 5/17/2018 at 6:09 PM, utee94 said:

Giovanni's Pizza By The Slice in Highland Mall

Abso-fucking-lutely! 

Aljon's - when it was over by Stassney & S. 1st? (moved to Oltorf later)

El Torito - 290 East.  Haven't found a better brunch since. 

Holiday House - already mentioned

Wanfu - Chinese off Oltorf

Limon's - Mexican - Their Original location not the one off East 6th or 7th. 

The Big Wheel - Oak Hill - Some of the best biscuits and gravy I've ever had. 

La Fuentes - Mexican - Off Wm. Cannon. 

• Like 1

Nubian Queen Lola's.  Also, there used to be a good fried chicken place on the East side that I would frequent circa 2007-08.  I think it was called Ben's, but I cant find any record of it on the interwebs.  

Just noticed that Bullfight closed.  I recall that a few people on here held it in very high regard.  

20 hours ago, Lobo said:

You sure it will stay a restaurant?  It's been 3-4 years since Corazon closed down and there's not so much as a whiff of interest in any operator taking over that space/lease.  I think it has a better chance of being absorbed into LatinWorks.  

If you know anything about LatinWorks, they are as likely to be absorbed by Corazon as the alternative.

1 hour ago, Ollie Slatt said:

Nubian Queen Lola's.  Also, there used to be a good fried chicken place on the East side that I would frequent circa 2007-08.  I think it was called Ben's, but I cant find any record of it on the interwebs.  

Just noticed that Bullfight closed.  I recall that a few people on here held it in very high regard.  

I appreciate that the proprietor fed the homeless, but Nubian Queen was average food in a disgusting dining room.  Whole place was slick with grease.

Hog Island Italian Deli on Lavaca and 16th, they used to overnight ingredients from Philly.  Best cheesesteak in Austin.  Owners decided to change it to some uppity restaurant called Cherry Creek and they were out business soon after.  I"m still looking for a decent cheesesteak that compares downtown.

• Like 2

Hog Island Italian Deli on Lavaca and 16th, they used to overnight ingredients from Philly.  Best cheesesteak in Austin.  Owners decided to change it to some uppity restaurant called Cherry Creek and they were out business soon after.  I"m still looking for a decent cheesesteak that compares downtown.

Oh ya. That place was great.

Tony’s Southern Cooking was solid and had great friend chicken. Maybe that’s it? Ben’s Long Branch BBQ was in the Franklin building IIRC.

Tony’s Southern Cooking was solid and had great friend chicken. Maybe that’s it? Ben’s Long Branch BBQ was in the Franklin building IIRC.

Tony’s at 12th and Chicon? One of their weekday specials was smothered pork chops and it was beyond good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Austinvines said:

Tony’s at 12th and Chicon? One of their weekday specials was smothered pork chops and it was beyond good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Name was actually Tony's Southern Comfort. It was on E 6th.  I think it was where Buenos Aires Cafe is.  There's was a po boy shop that had southern classics also. Can't remember the name of it.

Edited by CooterBrown

17 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

I finally figured it out.  Place I was thinking of was called Gene's.  Total dive but had great fried chicken.  I think it was in the building that is now Hillside Pharmacy.