Austin Restaurants You Miss The Most

DoobieWah

On 7/25/2018 at 9:18 AM, Tylerocks said:

Not Austin, But in La Grange.

when I was a kid riding up with my folks for games and before 71 looped around La Grange, we would always stop at Mayer's/Meyer's?  It was kind of like a Dairy Queen I guess would be the best descriptor.  They served red hot dogs.

Anyone else remember that place?  Am I way off on the name?

Yes, it was next to the grocery store.  We used to stop there on the way to the deer lease in Llano, or sometimes we’d stop again at The Big Wheel in Oak Hill.  

Apparently the Chili's on 360 is still sorely missed by salsa/hot sauce afficionados around Austin.  RIP you superlative example of Tex-Mex in the sky...

What a great space and patio.  Wonderful retreat from being on campus all day.  Great cocktails and the bbq was certainly well above average (not superb, but spot on).   Pain in the ass to park and pricey but always enjoyed it.  Sad to see it shuttering.  

27 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

Frank and Angie’s is closing.

Honestly they should have just made it an annex of Hut's years ago. Their pizza was fine for Austin pizza. But it was just Austin pizza. They could have used the space for burgers. Like JM did with his original place on Manor and the back building.

On 5/31/2018 at 1:33 PM, ChickenSandwich said:

Damn the name escapes me. Maybe French door?  Was a family run sandwich shop on Lake Austin’s blvd just west of Magnolia cafe. Once a week she did a homemade meatloaf sandwich I still miss. 

I know the place you're talking about. I lived in the neighborhood and went there about once a week.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Texas Land & Cattle closes another AUSTIN store, this time at South MoPac & 2244.  Not gonna be missed and I sure as shit hope they take that iHOP down with ‘em.  But would stop there years ago for cheap takeout, and had a half dozen Great chats with Jerry Jeff Walker who uses to do the same thing I did—-purposely delay the takeout order so he could sit and have a few drinks to decompress from the day before heading home 

Someone mentioned it but Texicali use to be my go to every week with my dad. Started going when it was on S. Lamar and kept going when they moved it to Oltorf. My dad and Danny (the owner) became good friends over the years and the business struggled to keep going when his wife passed of cancer. I miss that place!

4 hours ago, Jim_P said:

Someone mentioned it but Texicali use to be my go to every week with my dad. Started going when it was on S. Lamar and kept going when they moved it to Oltorf. My dad and Danny (the owner) became good friends over the years and the business struggled to keep going when his wife passed of cancer. I miss that place!

Waffle fries.

• 2 weeks later...

I blame Live Oak moving out to the airport for my lack of recent attendance there.  It was pretty typical for me and my tailgate party co-host buddy to hit Chumikal's for lunch on a Friday afternoon, then head over to the brewery to pick up our kegs for the tailgate party.  And of course, we'd just have to linger around for most of the afternoon, shootin' the breeze and drinking free beer.

But since the move, I don't think I've been to Chumikal's even once.  That's a shame.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...