House of Gucci

2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Is there really anything that compelling about Gucci?

I don't recall any bizarre love triangles or anything of that nature.

https://nypost.com/2021/07/30/house-of-gucci-trailer-flaunts-italian-glamour-and-murder/

https://www.the-sun.com/entertainment/3380601/maurizio-gucci-killer-benedetto-ceraulo/

Ummm, the ex-wife hired a guy to kill her husband.  It was a pretty big deal.  This is that story. I think it is going to be fascinating.

• Hook 'Em 2

30 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

https://nypost.com/2021/07/30/house-of-gucci-trailer-flaunts-italian-glamour-and-murder/

https://www.the-sun.com/entertainment/3380601/maurizio-gucci-killer-benedetto-ceraulo/

Ummm, the ex-wife hired a guy to kill her husband.  It was a pretty big deal.  This is that story. I think it is going to be fascinating.

DIdn't remember that at all.

23 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Well, it didn't happen in the US, so probably not as many headlines.  That was in the infancy of the internet.  It was also over 25 years ago.  I barely remember what happened yesterday sometimes.  :D

Yeah, it used to be much easier to have a spouse killed overseas, even in Europe back then, versus here in the US.  Things get dicey these days with the internet making everything global, local, and everything local, global.

• 3 months later...

The music and the looks and the settings are great and Leto gives the best comedic performance of the year.

I can’t tell if this movie was supposed to be funny but it’s definitely better if you assume they’re in on the joke. If it’s supposed to be The Godfather in 80s/90s fashion, then it was a big miss.

I was pulled into this movie last Tuesday.  The movie itself is a fucking disaster, terribly put together.  Ridley Scott should be fucking ashamed of himself for rolling that all over the place shitshow of a story out there.  That said the acting itself was ok

The source material just isn't that compelling.  Yea, yea murder for hire but about the most boring people possible that get you there.  

5 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

I was pulled into this movie last Tuesday.  The movie itself is a fucking disaster, terribly put together.  Ridley Scott should be fucking ashamed of himself for rolling that all over the place shitshow of a story out there.  That said the acting itself was ok

The source material just isn't that compelling.  Yea, yea murder for hire but about the most boring people possible that get you there.  

Saw it last night as my better half wanted to go see it and since my local high school team had an early and unexpected exit and we didn’t play, I said why not?

I thought it was ok.   Now after seeing a documentary this morning about the murder, there were several holes Riley Scott left out of the movie.   Things like Aldo Gucci had more than one child… Marcelo Gucci also had two daughters… among others .   I also thought the music used in certain scenes didn’t match the era such as their wedding which made the timelines of when things occurred confusing especially if you had no clue all this was based on series of true events.  

Saw it last night.  We all thought it was an interesting story, but not sure we would say anyone of our group would say they liked it. Just okay.

I think part is that it is about very wealthy people who fight with each other over money and power.  No real protagonist to root for or feel empathy for, and no real antagonist as they all were both interesting and also self absorbed.