Houston Restaurants You Miss The Most

DoobieWah

9 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I miss Dragon Bowl in the Heights off 11th St.  Part of it is nostalgia for that moment in my life, but I thought they made a damn solid Asian-esque bowl.  I believe the owner was the same as Pink's Pizza. 

That place was the Duke.  A friend of mine developed and owned (may still) that strip center and he told me about it.   

Would eat there at least once a week.  The owner of Dragon Bowl did own Pink’s.  He told us he shut down DB not because it wasn’t making money but he just got tired of it.  

I’m still in spiritual winter over that decision 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
Yeah they had to change the name Bellagreen after he caught a charge on serving illegal seafood. Seems like he largely skated. 

Their food is very good and reasonably priced. The owner is a scumbag, but I’ll keep eating there. It’s the one of the few options in City Centre that doesn’t shake you down for a sit down dinner. 

I’m pretty sure Molzan’s wife got the Bellagreen restaurants in their divorce.

4 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I don’t know if I would call Bellagreen reasonably priced. The spinach salad with chicken, a drink and tip is like $22. I know inflation is a bitch, but damn it want THAT long ago that a Tex mex meal for my wife and I with a tip was like $25.

you made your wife fill up on chips and salsa ?

I've said it before, I'll say it again... Dolce Vita.  We spent so much time there :(  This one hurt.

Also, there used to be a wonderful Lebanese place called Mint Cafe off of Sage... family run with exceptional food but the family went back to Lebanon. I've stayed in touch with the son.

https://www.chron.com/entertainment/article/Mint-Cafe-Mediterranean-Grill-1816214.php

Speaking of Lebanese, Cafe Rita... the move to the Dairy Ashford location closer to Westheimer killed their business.  They were such a wonderful family.  

https://www.houstoniamag.com/eat-and-drink/2013/05/cafe-ritas-new-digs-may-2013

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, texasdago said:

I've said it before, I'll say it again... Dolce Vita.  We spent so much time there :(  This one hurt.

Also, there used to be a wonderful Lebanese place called Mint Cafe off of Sage... family run with exceptional food but the family went back to Lebanon. I've stayed in touch with the son.

https://www.chron.com/entertainment/article/Mint-Cafe-Mediterranean-Grill-1816214.php

Speaking of Lebanese, Cafe Rita... the move to the Dairy Ashford location closer to Westheimer killed their business.  They were such a wonderful family.  

https://www.houstoniamag.com/eat-and-drink/2013/05/cafe-ritas-new-digs-may-2013

didn't get out to cafe rita often as it was in a bit of a no-man's land for me

has pita+ been mentioned yet?

Loved Rita's. My son went to Stratford so we were there often. The move up to Westheimer killed them and even though several other restaurants have been in that center for a long time, there have been a plethora in that end space where Rita's went. None more than a few months.

Pita+ Cafe was Bosnian. Loved that place. Knew the owners Bobo and Omer. Bobo sold out and moved up north. Omer kept it going and expanded into the Galleria area on Richmond. Proved just too much.

Hoe Sai Gai, San Felipe and Post Oak. For my fourteenth or fifteenth birthday, or somewhere around there, my family met there for a BD lunch.There were probably eight to ten of us. We had a big round table with a lazy susan and everyone ordered a dish and shared. We had soup and egg rolls and fried rice and all of the overly sweet dishes that were prevalent then. The check comes and my late uncle says everyone can just give him cash and he'd put it on his card. We're in the parking lot saying goodbyes to each other and the manager and the waiter come running out screaming at us. "Only $2 tip? Why only $2 tip?". We never went back. Almost fifty years later and it's still a family joke. It comes up multiple times a year.

Great memories.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/18/2023 at 7:11 AM, DoobieWah said:

Loved Rita's. My son went to Stratford so we were there often. The move up to Westheimer killed them and even though several other restaurants have been in that center for a long time, there have been a plethora in that end space where Rita's went. None more than a few months.

Pita+ Cafe was Bosnian. Loved that place. Knew the owners Bobo and Omer. Bobo sold out and moved up north. Omer kept it going and expanded into the Galleria area on Richmond. Proved just too much.

Hoe Sai Gai, San Felipe and Post Oak. For my fourteenth or fifteenth birthday, or somewhere around there, my family met there for a BD lunch.There were probably eight to ten of us. We had a big round table with a lazy susan and everyone ordered a dish and shared. We had soup and egg rolls and fried rice and all of the overly sweet dishes that were prevalent then. The check comes and my late uncle says everyone can just give him cash and he'd put it on his card. We're in the parking lot saying goodbyes to each other and the manager and the waiter come running out screaming at us. "Only $2 tip? Why only $2 tip?". We never went back. Almost fifty years later and it's still a family joke. It comes up multiple times a year.

Great memories.

Great. Basically all the good restaurants on my side of town closed before I moved out here. 

• 9 months later...