White Lotus - HBO

• Replies 630
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 8/2/2021 at 4:23 PM, SizzleChest said:

I'm going with Uncle Rico.

4 hours ago, mdmost said:

I think the body is Uncle Rico’s. He’s coughing all over the place, probably has lung cancer, and this is his last hurrah. 

3 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

This was my thought as well.

tenor.gif?itemid=7695938

Spoiler

Predicting it's Olivia.  Paula has plenty of motive to kill her right now, between all sorts of resentment sources + protecting Kai.

In Ep 1, the scene transitions from the body being loaded into the plane, to what looks like her POV of other passengers on the boat.

12 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Steve Zahn's line to Paula about "are you allergic to fire" was nice. 

i lol'd at that one.

enjoying the show and the irredeemable nature of all the characters in a realistic way...my only gripe is the notion that daddario's character could have gone all the way through the courtship and engagement process with that dude, his relationship with his mom, his entire raison d'etre and social nature - and just now be figuring out what a ridiculous mistake she made being with him.  i know they went out of their way to make the point that it was all super fast when talking to the two college girls but come on, his behavior couldn't have been overlooked for more than a couple of dates.  and if she was willing to go for the financial security, her identity crisis and regret over becoming a trophy wife would not have reared its head in week one of marriage...otherwise it would have already been there.  if they were going to go this route, they should have given him at least a few truly redeemable qualities that could have plausibly snowed her.  jmo.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, sidis said:

i lol'd at that one.

enjoying the show and the irredeemable nature of all the characters in a realistic way...my only gripe is the notion that daddario's character could have gone all the way through the courtship and engagement process with that dude, his relationship with his mom, his entire raison d'etre and social nature - and just now be figuring out what a ridiculous mistake she made being with him.  i know they went out of their way to make the point that it was all super fast when talking to the two college girls but come on, his behavior couldn't have been overlooked for more than a couple of dates.  and if she was willing to go for the financial security, her identity crisis and regret over becoming a trophy wife would not have reared its head in week one of marriage...otherwise it would have already been there.  if they were going to go this route, they should have given him at least a few truly redeemable qualities that could have plausibly snowed her.  jmo.

I've had the same gripe. 

There are times when I wonder if we're supposed to believe that her character is just incredibly stupid, unobservant, impetuous, and/or capricious, and that's how we're supposed to believe that she's painted herself into this corner, but if that's the case, then I don't think it's been communicated very effectively. 

Shane is such a selfish and shallow piece of shit that the body must be someone that he cares about, or at least has a direct connection with, like if he accidentally killed Dylan the boy toy or something. Otherwise the body-loading scene doesn't make any sense. If it was anyone besides those three possibilities, Shane would just be sitting in the boarding area, engrossed in page 25ish of Blink, not looking wistfully at the carcass box. 
And the sick BLM guy's name is Lazlo, not Uncle Rico. 

His wife’s about to leave him, so he’s about to be humiliated. The death could have been indirectly related.

He’s a rich dude who gets his way most of the time. Now that the distraction of the wedding is over, and he’s out of his element with a Manager that enjoyed fucking him over, his tantrums become more pronounced.

I agree, they should have added a little frosting to his character, like he was in good in bed (but rich dude/hit wife is not a plot hole but borders on the cliche).

Nevertheless, we needed 3 softcore scenes with AD, going from rocking her world, to just OK as he becomes more complacent with the one position he likes. He’s not far from a sociopathic spectrum so that would fit the profile.

what basketball game was on in hawaii at night?  some sort of nuggets replay, obviously. 

we’ve had the exact same gripe about the newlyweds. he hasn’t been particularly awful, but seems his behavior is pretty consistently shitty and would’ve been before this trip.

at some point this is on her. 

also the best part of this show so far is when the hotel mgr didn’t give the dude the day off like he said. lulz.

what an asshole. 

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Shane is such a selfish and shallow piece of shit that the body must be someone that he cares about, or at least has a direct connection with, like if he accidentally killed Dylan the boy toy or something. Otherwise the body-loading scene doesn't make any sense. If it was anyone besides those three possibilities, Shane would just be sitting in the boarding area, engrossed in page 25ish of Blink, not looking wistfully at the carcass box. 

Looking back on the airport scene in the beginning...I think the filming/intent of the scene is to get you thinking that way.

I don't think they're related. He's pissed because his new wife is having second thoughts/left him, whatever the case may end up being.

Their honeymoon was to continue in Tahiti.  So either he is going by himself (presumably) or he's heading back to the mainland.  Or maybe she is?

I still don't k now how they wrap everything up in one last episode.  Seems like a lot of shit to cover.

Who really knows.  I have a tendency to overthink shows like this.  

Edited by Tylerocks
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Yeah, I think it was a red herring, Shane is pissed at the airport/wants to be left alone because 1.) his wife just left him and 2.) he’s simply an asshole, not because his wife or mom is dead. The couple asked him if he was “going home,” so presumably that’s traveling back to the mainland, so that’s an indication Tahiti ain’t happening. 

The couple also used the word “killed” rather than “murdered” in regard to the death at the Lotus, so it could have been an accident. I suspect the dead person was a member of the Mossbacher traveling party. My money is on Quinn in some kind of scuba mishap (perhaps he drifts too close to the muscular rowers, and he catches an oar to the head while reaching for his lost phone, making it a complete arc). Dad could also meet his demise during the dive, ironic as he enters the series concerned with death, gets a reprieve in the form of a diagnosis, then rekindles his dead marriage with a heroic act.

And Olivia or Paula could take out the other. 

And if the filmmakers are concerned with accuracy, I’m 100% certain the deceased is not the character played by Jennifer Coolidge. Just two airport workers easily lifted the large box labeled “Human Remains” into the cargo area of the plane. 

(And do we know this is a one-off? I can see Armond & Co. hosting other fucked up families in years to come, like an R rated Fantasy Island , but where Roark gets drunk, gets high, gets horny and uh oh, now he’s eating Tattoo’s ass.) 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 5

12 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

Nevertheless, we needed 3 softcore scenes with AD, going from rocking her world, to just OK as he becomes more complacent with the one position he likes. He’s not far from a sociopathic spectrum so that would fit the profile.

41 minutes ago, Vito Andolini said:

(And do we know this is a one-off? I can see Armond & Co. hosting other fucked up families in years to come, like an R rated Fantasy Island , but where Roark gets drunk, gets high, gets horny and uh oh, now he’s eating Tattoo’s ass.) 

two very distinct visions offered.

On 8/9/2021 at 11:28 AM, SizzleChest said:

tenor.gif?itemid=7695938

If it's Uncle Rico's, and he died of cancer, why would that couple in the beginning say "Our guide said that somebody was killed at the White Lotus."  The word "killed"  pretty much means that it was not somebody just dying.  Though it could mean that somebody fell off I cliff, I'm guessing that it means that somebody was killed by somebody else. 

9 hours ago, Vito Andolini said:

And if the filmmakers are concerned with accuracy, I’m 100% certain the deceased is not the character played by Jennifer Coolidge. Just two airport workers easily lifted the large box labeled “Human Remains” into the cargo area of the plane. 

This right here is the kind of detective work we need on this thread. Everybody else is just spitballing

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Yeah, I think it was a red herring, Shane is pissed at the airport/wants to be left alone because 1.) his wife just left him and 2.) he’s simply an asshole, not because his wife or mom is dead. The couple asked him if he was “going home,” so presumably that’s traveling back to the mainland, so that’s an indication Tahiti ain’t happening. 
The couple also used the word “killed” rather than “murdered” in regard to the death at the Lotus, so it could have been an accident. I suspect the dead person was a member of the Mossbacher traveling party. My money is on Quinn in some kind of scuba mishap (perhaps he drifts too close to the muscular rowers, and he catches an oar to the head while reaching for his lost phone, making it a complete arc). Dad could also meet his demise during the dive, ironic as he enters the series concerned with death, gets a reprieve in the form of a diagnosis, then rekindles his dead marriage with a heroic act.
And Olivia or Paula could take out the other. 

In an interesting twist, the network reboot of Fantasy Island airs Thursday.

Shane and Olivia are two completely unlikable characters with few if any redeeming qualities (well except tits on Olivia). Those are the two who it would feel the best if one of them was in the box.  Now it's obviously not Shane, but he likely got his own comeuppance from Rachel.  Maybe Olivia confronts Paula about her suspicions on the Kai heist (she may be unlikable but she is clearly intelligent and observant) and something happens there.

I wouldn't be surprised if the person in the box is a guest that isn't even a part of the main cast and ultimately you are left with all of this simply being a glimpse into a week in the fucked up lives of a group of guests and some of the staff at a high dollar resort.  

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Surly Bevo said:

I wouldn't be surprised if the person in the box is a guest that isn't even a part of the main cast and ultimately you are left with all of this simply being a glimpse into a week in the fucked up lives of a group of guests and some of the staff at a high dollar resort.  

That would be a letdown, but could be. 

14 minutes ago, Brandywine said:

That would be a letdown, but could be. 

Yea it's 50/50 it goes that way but with the show obviously having a strong satirical bent it could be that the body in the box was a hook to pull you in and paying closer attention (in an attempt to solve the riddle) to all the other points being explored along the way.  The exploration becomes more important than the "plot".

If the body in the box is just some rando at the resort, then Mike White just fucked us harder than Armond wanted to fuck Dillon. I’m 85% sure it’s scuba related, 15% college girl (either), but I missed so badly on my Mare of Eastown guesses, I should probably keep my dumb thoughts to myself.

• Like 2

i don't see any way it's a rando.  i also don't see it likely that it's someone close to shane, as that would be too obvious.

shane was obviously shitty, but he's always kinda shitty.  i could see him being ~involved in whatever went down.  they've been fairly hesitant to show scenes with the groups interacting with each other.  i assume that will change in the finale, and there will be some overlap, and shit will go wrong.  it'll probably start with shane's wife peacing out.

maybe shane's involvement is making him feel bad, or maybe it's because his wife left him and he's going home instead of tahiti. 

my only question is how much they're going to get into the robbery, if at all.  i assumed we'd see scenes discussing the burglar being in a hotel uniform, etc, but it's almost like they purposely avoided it and just made it a device to bring britton and zahn closer together.  that scene was well done, btw, with the timing staggered so zahn arrived late.

i wish it was paula, after some reaction to one of her imaginary afflictions, but the word "killed" probably eliminates that.  that character sucks, but i guess they all do.  my official guess is quinn, since he deserves it the least.

also wasn't sydney sweeney featured pretty prominently in the fappening?  👀 

I don't find it remotely unbelievable or unrealistic that someone could go through the motions of a courtship and wedding and have an epiphany  immediately afterward.  I mean, why does googling "cold feet before a wedding" get a bajillion hits?  Why is leaving someone at the altar a centuries old storytelling trope? It's the premise of a current State Farm commercial.  She's someone who wishes she called it off, but went through with it anyway.

A quick google search tells me most divorces happen in year 1-2 or year 5-8. I bet many, many year one divorcees have had some "oh fuck, what have I done?" personal crises on their honeymoons.

Edited by CurlyDumps
  • Like 1

the more thought i have been giving it, in addition to the unrealistic nature of daddario's predicament i detailed above, i am finding it a bit of a stretch to believe that belinda could let herself still hang on to the hope/belief that coolidge's character is actually going to follow-through and invest significant funds into starting her spa business.  maybe for a day after she raised it.  but after seeing how she responded to delivering the business proposal to her, she can't possibly be fooling herself anymore.  but there she was at dinner like "let's talk about it" without being pushy.  she knows she's an all-talk, unreliable flake in addition to being unstable.  no rational person would delude themselves into thinking it was headed anywhere productive.  i guess if she's desperate enough to believe.

oh, and i would also like to spend some time with my head and penis in the same specific vicinity as sydney sweeney's breasts.

46 minutes ago, sidis said:

the more thought i have been giving it, in addition to the unrealistic nature of daddario's predicament i detailed above, i am finding it a bit of a stretch to believe that belinda could let herself still hang on to the hope/belief that coolidge's character is actually going to follow-through and invest significant funds into starting her spa business.

Are you paying attention at all to the actor's performance? Her faith has been plummeting by the scene. 

edit: and remember the phone call with her son (I think)? She's been skeptical from the beginning, but is doing it for him.

Edited by CurlyDumps

4 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

Are you serious with this?  Are you paying attention at all to the actor's performance or playing on your phone during the show?

edit: and remember the phone call with her son (I think)? She's been skeptical from the beginning, but is doing it for him.

This was my thought, in the last episode her facial expression when Stifler's Mom got up from the table was a pretty obvious tell on what she believes are the true odds of anything happening.

i guess the point i was making is that i can't believe she allowed herself to make it as far as she did and put all the effort in that she did.  her behavior on the boat ride alone should have been a "welp, this is fucked, nevermind" moment but she went off and put a ton of work into a business proposal and continued to endure being present for all the insanity even after that. that it took her deserting her for rico at the bar for her to realize she was completely wasting her time seemed a bit unrealistic.

it is so minor, it doesn't matter.  and delusion/hope can let you string things out even on a long shot.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, sidis said:

i guess the point i was making is that i can't believe she allowed herself to make it as far as she did and put all the effort in that she did.  her behavior on the boat ride alone should have been a "welp, this is fucked, nevermind" moment but she went off and put a ton of work into a business proposal and continued to endure being present for all the insanity even after that. that it took her deserting her for rico at the bar for her to realize she was completely wasting her time seemed a bit unrealistic.

it is so minor, it doesn't matter.  and delusion/hope can let you string things out even on a long shot.

Don't fault her for trying. It is a low-risk, high reward outcome. She realized at dinner that Mrs. Stifler is just co-dependent and she was a short-term bridge between mom and cock.

The Rachel stuff feels like the most forced on the show. She's obviously not a Mensa member, but she went through the wedding and ostensibly did not meet Shane last week, so pretty silly to think the lightbulb just now went off. Shane clearly has always been Shane.

I love the juxtaposition of the honesty of Armond and Mark with the satirical fakeness of the vapid Zoomers.

Edited by Harrison Bergeron
  • Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, CurlyDumps said:

I don't find it remotely unbelievable or unrealistic that someone could go through the motions of a courtship and wedding and have an epiphany  immediately afterward.  I mean, why does googling "cold feet before a wedding" get a bajillion hits?  Why is leaving someone at the altar a centuries old storytelling trope? It's the premise of a current State Farm commercial.  She's someone who wishes she called it off, but went through with it anyway.

A quick google search tells me most divorces happen in year 1-2 or year 5-8. I bet many, many year one divorcees have had some "oh fuck, what have I done?" personal crises on their honeymoons.

This.  Quicky divorces happen all the time.  I’ve known people that dated for years and got divorced within a year.  Happens all the time.

On 8/9/2021 at 9:10 AM, Prepuce of Doom said:

I haven't gone back and watched the opening scene but my recollection is that Shane was emotionally tied to whoever was in the casket/box. That could only mean Rachel or his mother. But that does seem to easy -- and I haven't watched that scene since a month or so.

On 8/10/2021 at 1:31 AM, henrygandorf said:

what basketball game was on in hawaii at night?  some sort of nuggets replay, obviously. 

we’ve had the exact same gripe about the newlyweds. he hasn’t been particularly awful, but seems his behavior is pretty consistently shitty and would’ve been before this trip.

at some point this is on her. 

also the best part of this show so far is when the hotel mgr didn’t give the dude the day off like he said. lulz.

what an asshole. 

I could see it. She gets in with the rich crowd, Shane is fun and she's taken care of. But she's a journalist and has that in the back of her mind. I'm sure Shane has placated her all the way through their short engagement thinking once she gets a taste of the good life, she'll give up any professional aspirations and start spitting out babies.

On 8/10/2021 at 10:14 PM, HeHateMe said:

Sydney Sweeney would be my Make-A-Wish.

Same. I didn't know who this was when some body shaming shit came out about her earlier this year. Fucking incels/Q-tards. I think she's gorgeous.

On 8/11/2021 at 3:13 PM, sidis said:

the more thought i have been giving it, in addition to the unrealistic nature of daddario's predicament i detailed above, i am finding it a bit of a stretch to believe that belinda could let herself still hang on to the hope/belief that coolidge's character is actually going to follow-through and invest significant funds into starting her spa business.  maybe for a day after she raised it.  but after seeing how she responded to delivering the business proposal to her, she can't possibly be fooling herself anymore.  but there she was at dinner like "let's talk about it" without being pushy.  she knows she's an all-talk, unreliable flake in addition to being unstable.  no rational person would delude themselves into thinking it was headed anywhere productive.  i guess if she's desperate enough to believe.

oh, and i would also like to spend some time with my head and penis in the same specific vicinity as sydney sweeney's breasts.

Belinda has nothing to lose and is excited by a (seemingly) wealthy woman who is offering to finance her dreams. This has taken place over a period of 3-4 days/nights, right? I know she's now losing faith anything will come of it but again, she's got no skin in the game at this point.

Armond is fucking great.