Flight disrupting assholes Thread of Shame.

crash_davis

• 2 weeks later...

FAA proposes more than $500,000 in new fines against unruly airline passengers

Federal authorities are proposing more than a half-million dollars in new fines against commercial airline passengers they say refused to wear masks, hit flight attendants and even threw luggage across the cabin.

The Federal Aviation Administration's announcement Thursday of $531,545 in fines against 34 passengers accused of being unruly on board is the single largest announcement of federal fines since the start of a nationwide crackdown earlier this year, bringing this year's total to more than $1 million.

Of the incidents detailed by federal investigators for the first time, nearly two-thirds involve passengers accused of violating the federal transportation-wide mask mandate, which was just extended by the Transportation Security Administration to remain in place through January 18.

Federal documents show that nine of the 34 incidents involve a passenger accused of touching or hitting another person on the plane, including crew members. Eight passengers are accused of illegally drinking alcohol they brought on board the plane. Half of the incidents involve flights to or from vacation destinations in Florida.

With this announcement, the FAA has now proposed fines against nearly 80 passengers after receiving nearly 3,900 reports of incidents. The FAA said on Tuesday that based on the reports, it has opened 682 investigations into possible violations of federal laws.

House Transportation Chairman Peter DeFazio told CNN this week that he would like to see punishment that's even harsher than fines, with those accused of in-flight violence facing prison time.

"The first time we take one of these jerks who is assaulting flight attendants or attempting to take an aircraft down -- and they go away for a few years and they get a massive fine-- I think that will send a message," the Oregon Democrat said.

But the FAA points out it does not have the authority to file criminal charges. Instead, it proposes civil fines that the accused violators may pay or dispute.

The largest flight attendant union, the Association of Flight Attendants, has also called for more prosecutions.

"If you interfere with a crew member's duties and put the rest of the plane in jeopardy, or assault the crew member, you're facing $35,000 in fines for each incident and up to 20 years in prison," association President Sara Nelson told CNN. "People need to understand there are severe consequences here."

The largest fine announced Thursday -- $45,000 -- is against a passenger accused of throwing his luggage at another passenger and, while lying on the aisle floor, "grabbing a flight attendant by the ankles and putting his head up her skirt." That New York to Orlando flight was forced to land early in Virginia.

A different passenger faces a $42,000 fine for allegedly "snorting what appeared to be cocaine from a plastic bag" in an episode that included "stabbing gestures towards certain passengers." Another passenger would not wear his face mask, the FAA, said, and "acted as though his hand was a gun and made a 'pew, pew' noise as if he was shooting a fellow passenger."

Unsurprisingly, half of the incidents so far have been on flights to/from Florida

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/5/2021 at 7:08 PM, Mach 1 said:

I don't give a shit how much "pent up stress" these fucksticks have.  Zero tolerance for acting like a shithead at 30,000 feet in a metal tube with a hundred other human beings.  Duct tape and some federal charges will quickly make them forget about their "pent up stress."

Go run up and down some steps at the airport before getting on flight, or go beat off in the bathroom, whatever floats your boat.  But DO NOT take out your "pent up stress" on your flight crew or fellow travelers.  Fuckers.

Reading this at ABIA delayed to Denver. May need to check out Hudson News and see if they still sell Penthouse in case the wifi on the plane is spotty.  

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Grade of D as in David said:

Reading this at ABIA delayed to Denver. May need to check out Hudson News and see if they still sell Penthouse in case the wifi on the plane is spotty.  

No Penthouse, or Copenhagen for that matter, but I was able to get a 6 oz bag of peanuts for my flight. Fuck those off brand chex snacks from SWA.

• Haha 1

Got kinda close last Friday. Young lady sitting in front of me starts talking to her mom? Any way she is slightly freaking out about something. 
She call FA over and she is talking loud enough I can hear it. “I left a battery in my luggage” FA calls GA and this GA comes on board and they discuss the “shock collar” in her luggage. How big is battery, is collar on and so forth. GA says I will contact DFW and have them take it off before you connect to SAN. We get to leave on time. 

And yes you filthy animals I tried to think of a good line I could use about her or me wearing this. 

Alas my game is weak.  

Got kinda close last Friday. Young lady sitting in front of me starts talking to her mom? Any way she is slightly freaking out about something. 
She call FA over and she is talking loud enough I can hear it. “I left a battery in my luggage” FA calls GA and this GA comes on board and they discuss the “shock collar” in her luggage. How big is battery, is collar on and so forth. GA says I will contact DFW and have them take it off before you connect to SAN. We get to leave on time. 

And yes you filthy animals I tried to think of a good line I could use about her or me wearing this. 

Alas my game is weak.  

Wanna be a baller

On 8/5/2021 at 9:59 PM, XYZ said:

Seriously, these people that start shit up in airplanes, do they end up in a no-fly list?

On 8/6/2021 at 9:58 AM, Skipper said:

This is my question.  They absolutely better fucking be. Because you know most of these people have been assholes on flights in the past before now taking it too far.  This might just be the purge we need.

Pre-COVID, AA's no-fly list was ~1800 names (like, since inception). That list has doubled in the past 18 months, mostly for mask refusal.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, SuperSport said:

Pre-COVID, AA's no-fly list was ~1800 names (like, since inception). That list has doubled in the past 18 months, mostly for mask refusal.

And the planes are still overbooked.  You'd think we'd at least get a little more room now.

41 minutes ago, Burt said:

He didn't quite make it on board a flight, but you have to think he would have been disruptive. 

Competition for first class upgrades are no joke.

And I hope he got beaten down and then arrested.

4 hours ago, XYZ said:

So what happened to that guy? Did he get arrested?

Articles I read said he is a military vet and was having some kind of crisis…

Police later said that man was a military veteran who was going into some form of crisis. After being taken into custody, Miami-Dade police said the man was brought to a treatment center for evaluation.

https://www.local10.com/news/local/2021/08/28/military-veteran-hospitalized-following-violent-outburst-at-miami-airport/

I have always wanted to kick a wet floor sign for some reason.

7 hours ago, Burt said:

He didn't quite make it on board a flight, but you have to think he would have been disruptive. 

I flew from MIA to EWR yesterday.  I was surprised at the number of guys who looked about like him (age and roid rage) walking around flouting the mask rules.  

Here's the local headline:

Military veteran hospitalized following violent outburst at Miami airport

Good thing the cops didn't just show up and shoot him.

Edited by Bullneck

1 hour ago, Nicole44 said:

Articles I read said he is a military vet and was having some kind of crisis…

Police later said that man was a military veteran who was going into some form of crisis. After being taken into custody, Miami-Dade police said the man was brought to a treatment center for evaluation.

https://www.local10.com/news/local/2021/08/28/military-veteran-hospitalized-following-violent-outburst-at-miami-airport/

I have always wanted to kick a wet floor sign for some reason.

Had a friend in college who would occasionally grab a ball off of the pool table at the fraternity house and throw it throw the window.  Middle of the afternoon on a Wednesday after he had an exam.  It was an old house, and the charge for breaking one pane on the old ass windows was $15.  He said it was good stress relief and cheaper than a shrink.

Just now, MissingInAction said:

I punched dents into my car roof after Roy Williams intercepted Simms at the 4 for a TD. Definitely in crisis.

My buddy took my BP once during one of the K-State disasters (2007?  One where Snead had to come in for injured Colt), and it was DANGEROUSLY high.

On 8/5/2021 at 5:15 PM, Jiggy-Z said:

I think there is more pent up stress than we realize. Its easy to blame a bunch of yokels on a flight but I suspect this is eventually going to spill over across party lines (no CR), maybe not on flights, but in other places in strange and unforeseen ways.

Karens on the left of me, gatekeepers on the right

Here I am, stuck in the middle with you 

• Haha 1