Outdoor Living Space Design... Recommendations?

Starting from a blank slate, have room and flexibility.  I do have a natural gas drop on the existing patio which can easily be used.  

definitely want a fireplace, grill and flattop. 

Gas or wood?  

What things do I need to consider?

Thanks in advance.

23 hours ago, TeeDubya said:

Starting from a blank slate, have room and flexibility.  I do have a natural gas drop on the existing patio which can easily be used.  

definitely want a fireplace, grill and flattop. 

Gas or wood?  

What things do I need to consider?

Thanks in advance.

A tire swing.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

Here's your design.  That'll be $9.95

spacer.png

And with this, you don't need a separate fireplace and grill.  Combo them

spacer.png

That's pretty high-tone for Starkville.  Especially the double decker grill.

Edited by TeeDubya

If you can, put a sink in with a disposal. Don’t spend the money on an outdoor tv just buy a cheap tv and cover it and then when it breaks throw it away and buy a new one. You can never have too much seating and spend the extra money on quality outdoor furniture otherwise you will be replacing it often.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, justhookit said:

If you can, put a sink in with a disposal. Don’t spend the money on an outdoor tv just buy a cheap tv and cover it and then when it breaks throw it away and buy a new one. You can never have too much seating and spend the extra money on quality outdoor furniture otherwise you will be replacing it often.

How do you keep outdoor sink/plumbing from freezing in the winter? 

• 7 months later...
  • 6 months later...
14 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

@TeeDubya Is that a Tempest Weather System in the background? If so do you like it. I've thought of getting on since it integrates directly with Rachio for irrigation use.

Nice eye!!  Yes it is.  I like it, alot.  
I have a mesonet site three miles from me, and this is really close on temp and humidity.  Rain overestimates in the heaviest downpours, but then dials back to a final number as the intensity decreases-it's kinda odd.  Light and moderate rain, it does great.  And once it dials back a bit after heavy rain, the numbers lock in on a good number.

I do have a Rachio too, but haven't dived into the integration yet, waiting for the semester to end and have some time to do it.  

• Hook 'Em 1

I need a much smaller project. My back yard wood decking is old and warping. Thinking of replacing with trex. I’d just as soon pay someone to build it, if not too expensive. Is it a pretty straightforward job? What would the expense be for a 14’ X 16’ non-rectangular deck surface, built by a handyman?

2 hours ago, statsman said:

I need a much smaller project. My back yard wood decking is old and warping. Thinking of replacing with trex. I’d just as soon pay someone to build it, if not too expensive. Is it a pretty straightforward job? What would the expense be for a 14’ X 16’ non-rectangular deck surface, built by a handyman?

I bet you're looking at $20 a foot maybe?

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/14/2022 at 2:53 PM, TeeDubya said:

I bet you're looking at $20 a foot maybe?

Depends on which composite selection you go with. For the lower end that would probably cover it. We did Trex on a large project and one problem we had is it was hot in direct sunlight. You were not going to walk outside in the day without shoes which also was a problem for the dogs going out. It was in South FL and we probably should have gone a much lighter color, but it was miserable. The railings also did not hold up well and looked rough 12 months in.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Brew said:

Depends on which composite selection you go with. For the lower end that would probably cover it. We did Trex on a large project and one problem we had is it was hot in direct sunlight. You were not going to walk outside in the day without shoes which also was a problem for the dogs going out. It was in South FL and we probably should have gone a much lighter color, but it was miserable. The railings also did not hold up well and looked rough 12 months in.

That's great to know.  Thanks!

1 hour ago, Brew said:

We have ~12yr old Trex on our back deck, and this bolded part is 100% correct.  A pressure wash once a year makes the deck look great...but the railings look like stained styrofoam at this point.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, morehornsepower said:

We have ~12yr old Trex on our back deck, and this bolded part is 100% correct.  A pressure wash once a year makes the deck look great...but the railings look like stained styrofoam at this point.

We tried going back against the warranty on ours and never got anywhere. I had roughly $30k in railings on a large deck and two large sets of stairs and the top rail faded down quickly and did not hold up. We used their cable system for the middle portion (not sure what it’s called) and it was great, but the top rail would not hold up to the sun. The decking material held up great and was easy to maintain, it just felt like the surface of the sun mid day in July. I think a lighter color would have been better though.

• Rage+1 1

41 minutes ago, Brew said:

I really well done stained tongue in groove ceiling works perfect for outdoor setups. Every time I go outside I end up just standing around looking at it. This isn’t the greatest picture of ours, but you get the idea.

Brew, that's fantastic!

1 hour ago, morehornsepower said:

Hey @TeeDubya, this looks amazing!

Your original sketches included the idea of a low wall & folding windows on that 3rd side...what made you change your mind on that?

Thanks @morehornsepower

I was concerned about three things:
-too much wind-blown crap would swirl in there from the open side and need constant cleaning.  My existing patio is enclosed on three sides, and it's a constant fight.
-that it might feel a little too closed in.
-cost

If my wife gives the order, I can add it later... LOL.

I'm going to dig some of the dirt out around the back and outside of it felt it, fill with river rocks and make it a dry creek bed for drainage.

Edited by TeeDubya

15 minutes ago, TeeDubya said:

Thanks @morehornsepower

I was concerned about three things:
-too much wind-blown crap would swirl in there from the open side and need constant cleaning.  My existing patio is enclosed on three sides, and it's a constant fight.
-that it might feel a little too closed in.
-cost

If my wife gives the order, I can add it later... LOL.

I'm going to dig some of the dirt out around the back and outside of it felt it, fill with river rocks and make it a dry creek bed for drainage.

That all makes a lot of sense.  We're looking at building an outdoor space in the hill country in the next couple of years, and I'm always looking for ideas.  I think that 3rd side enclosure would make a lot of sense further north, where it can get damn cold outside, but you could probably stay comfortable in that more enclosed area.  I hadn't even thought about the leaf/crap accumulation that would come with it.  Thanks for sharing, and again, looks great!

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, morehornsepower said:

That all makes a lot of sense.  We're looking at building an outdoor space in the hill country in the next couple of years, and I'm always looking for ideas.  I think that 3rd side enclosure would make a lot of sense further north, where it can get damn cold outside, but you could probably stay comfortable in that more enclosed area.  I hadn't even thought about the leaf/crap accumulation that would come with it.  Thanks for sharing, and again, looks great!

Thanks, and good luck, be sure to post design pics as you plan it out.

• Hook 'Em 1