Surly Horns Burnt Ends NIL Program- How YOU can help Texas with the NIL right now!

RGBIII

15 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

I’m holding off on joining until I see the full amount of damage from a recent health issue, but I have a question.  Since Banks is the TE coach and these are his guys,  can we expect a monkey appearance at any of the events?  

Apt avatar

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Enchubben said:

This was my understanding.  Is it not allowable for us to advertise this publicly in the hopes of influencing recruits? 

55 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

We don't need to advertise it.  Players talk to recruits and this is definitely something that will be talked about.

Yes the important thing is that Banks knows and he does and can communicate it

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, conVINCEd said:

I’m holding off on joining until I see the full amount of damage from a recent health issue, but I have a question.  Since Banks is the TE coach and these are his guys,  can we expect a monkey appearance at any of the events?  

Saw him bright and early at Starbucks on 15th in downtown Austin while in town for business couple of days before Anderson’s announcement. Exchanged pleasantries and was cordial, but damn how I wanted to tell him that whole recruitment was like was watching HIS monkey fuck a football smh. 

2 hours ago, RGBIII said:

10k is more than TEs are getting in bags. This also is yearly so really it’s like 40-50k. And the NIL can not be involved with anyone not on the actual team. They use this as a recruiting tool saying “last year every TE got 10k and we expect it again this year” is above board

2 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

We don't need to advertise it.  Players talk to recruits and this is definitely something that will be talked about.

As said previously, but these are nailing it right on the head. The players and coach(es) know about it, the word will get passed along to potential prospects.

3 hours ago, victory88 said:
3 hours ago, RGBIII said:

10k is more than TEs are getting in bags. This also is yearly so really it’s like 40-50k. And the NIL can not be involved with anyone not on the actual team. They use this as a recruiting tool saying “last year every TE got 10k and we expect it again this year” is above board

3 hours ago, victory88 said:

Just curious, but why not try to build a roster with the best recruits if we can do it?  Is it logistics issue, an issue with the law/compliance, or just a fund raising problem?  The end goal of NIL is to get back to recruiting elite players here that are getting paid by other schools.  Is there a way to recruit top talent and they get a bonus on top of their yearly stipend?  Just curious because I'm not sure 10k a year is going to help bring in top recruits here when other schools are dropping bags with way more on top of NIL.  Just trying to think if there are ways we can take care of current players while also trying to raise funds to bring in top talent.

Edited by Wulaw Horn

I’m a stupid monkey apparently incapable of

multi quoting while on my cell phone but this is a reply to my above post where I quoted victory and RGB...

I wonder if we (not surly,  but the longhorn community in general) couldn’t pay certain amounts to any recruit on campus at least for their freshman year. For example- if every 5 star recruit that signed for a 100k NIL deal their freshman year on campus it would be understood by all the 5 star recruits that you sign at Texas and immediately get 6 figures. I can’t see why this wouldn’t be legal/why anyone would be able to stop it from happening. I realize what we are doing here isn’t that, I’m really proud of what’s being done here and not saying we should be doing that, but if someone with someone serious money would be willing to do that it would seem to me to be legal and effective as a replacement for a bag, so to speak. 
the real thing we need is a commitment from big donors to turn it into an endowment where everyone passes the hat and tosses in whatever it takes to endow enough payments to the top level guys that work as a form of signing bonus, and then whatever the guys that become stars make will take care of itself. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

multi quoting while on my cell phone but this is a reply to my above post where I quoted victory and RGB...

I wonder if we (not surly,  but the longhorn community in general) couldn’t pay certain amounts to any recruit on campus at least for their freshman year. For example- if every 5 star recruit that signed for a 100k NIL deal their freshman year on campus it would be understood by all the 5 star recruits that you sign at Texas and immediately get 6 figures. I can’t see why this wouldn’t be legal/why anyone would be able to stop it from happening. I realize what we are doing here isn’t that, I’m really proud of what’s being done here and not saying we should be doing that, but if someone with someone serious money would be willing to do that it would seem to me to be legal and effective as a replacement for a bag, so to speak. 
the real thing we need is a commitment from big donors to turn it into an endowment where everyone passes the hat and tosses in whatever it takes to endow enough payments to the top level guys that work as a form of signing bonus, and then whatever the guys that become stars make will take care of itself. 

Player has to do something of market value for the 100k, that's the problem - what will you have them do for that money? You can't just give it to them for random bullshit as that's not sustainable.

4 minutes ago, immamac said:

Player has to do something of market value for the 100k, that's the problem - what will you have them do for that money? You can't just give it to them for random bullshit as that's not sustainable.

Who decides that value though? And why couldn’t you it said person had the resources? Why does it matter what they’re doing for the money? If the person paying them declares said player tweeting out for his business or an appearance at the establishment then the value is justified.

Edited by BurntOrange&White

5 minutes ago, immamac said:

My thought would be some sort of NFT or limited edition collectible signing thing. Something impossible to value- that functions like art work. I assume that’s why Oregon did what they did. They did it with a talented upper class player. My suggestion would be to do it with guys ranked at a certain level as a course of business the second they set foot on campus. 
like I said- Thats different than what you are doing with Surly, obviously, but I think there’s space to create at least plausible deniability and places like Oregon will do that. 
not saying we should do that but “someone” should. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

1 minute ago, Wulaw Horn said:

My thought would be some sort of NFT or limited edition collectible signing thing. Something impossible to value- that functions like art work. I assume that’s why Oregon did what they did. They did it with a talented upper class player. My suggestion would be to do it with guys ranked at a certain level as a course of business the second they set foot on campus. 
like I said- Thats different than what you are doing with Surly, obviously, but I think there’s space to create at least plausible deniability and places like Oregon will do that. 

We should do that though….maybe not surly since we have our thing currently but we should be pushing boundaries. 

Just now, BurntOrange&White said:

We should do that though….maybe not surly since we have our thing currently but we should be pushing boundaries. 

Agreed. Problem is for all the talk about our boosters being out of control and obnoxious and running shit it’s really not true. They take their cue’s from the people in charge and the AD isn’t interested, seemingly. 

12 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

There is something getting worked on similar to this

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

This is absolutely the sort of thing actual BMD's should be working behind the scenes to do.

But I think Surly type investments in position groups (including walk-ons) are absolutely going to make a difference in recruiting.  Maybe not for the 5 star guy getting bags dropped from helicopters - but for everybody else 40k is a big fucking deal.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Who decides that value though? And why couldn’t you it said person had the resources? Why does it matter what they’re doing for the money? If the person paying them declares said player tweeting out for his business or an appearance at the establishment then the value is justified.

The University won't approve bogus shit that is out of whack. The person paying the player doesn't determine shit. The market at large determines shit. Just because some idiot gives a kid 100k for a TV commercial if he can't prove that he recovered that or has the potential to recover it the university isn't going to let that fly. You don't just get to negotiate with the player directly, the university must approve every single NIL activity except for signing memorabilia and memorabilia has an open market value like you are saying, but not a whole lot of people willing to just stroke 100k for a signed football. As much as you guys love to think that BMD just do stupid shit like that, they actually don't.

NFT could work, there is secondary market value to an NFT and there is a residual payment every transaction to the player. The problem is that I don't actually think BMD want to pay an unknown quantity who may just say fuck it and transfer. There cannot be any teeth on the other side of NIL for performance, roster positioning, or whether they stay on the team. 

The main problem with "legit" NIL is that people aren't willing to dance with the devil above board. If you fuck a BMD that is dropping bags in the bag game then you kinda get fucked over in the long term or they will do unscrupulous things to the family member that scammed them. When shit is illegal, you can respond illegally in kind.

• Hook 'Em 5

2 minutes ago, immamac said:

The University won't approve bogus shit that is out of whack. The person paying the player doesn't determine shit. The market at large determines shit. Just because some idiot gives a kid 100k for a TV commercial if he can't prove that he recovered that or has the potential to recover it the university isn't going to let that fly. You don't just get to negotiate with the player directly, the university must approve every single NIL activity except for signing memorabilia and memorabilia has an open market value like you are saying, but not a whole lot of people willing to just stroke 100k for a signed football. As much as you guys love to think that BMD just do stupid shit like that, they actually don't.

NFT could work, there is secondary market value to an NFT and there is a residual payment every transaction to the player. The problem is that I don't actually think BMD want to pay an unknown quantity who may just say fuck it and transfer. There cannot be any teeth on the other side of NIL for performance, roster positioning, or whether they stay on the team. 

The main problem with "legit" NIL is that people aren't willing to dance with the devil above board. If you fuck a BMD that is dropping bags in the bag game then you kinda get fucked over in the long term or they will do unscrupulous things to the family member that scammed them. When shit is illegal, you can respond illegally in kind.

Fair point. 

1 minute ago, immamac said:

The University won't approve bogus shit that is out of whack. The person paying the player doesn't determine shit. The market at large determines shit. Just because some idiot gives a kid 100k for a TV commercial if he can't prove that he recovered that or has the potential to recover it the university isn't going to let that fly.

I think that’s a large issue that will bite us in the ass long term if we’re being honestly. We have a university regulating value when there is literally no data to show value or perceived value. I bet any other major program isn’t going that far. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I think that’s a large issue that will bite us in the ass long term if we’re being honestly. We have a university regulating value when there is literally no data to show value or perceived value. I bet any other major program isn’t going that far. 

That’s my sense as well. 

Ya but we also have alumni who have easy shit for these kids to do that has a high perceived value without being overly time consuming. They just need to know how to connect to the athlete and the actual rules of it

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

No it wont. What will happen is Texas will never vacate any wins or a national championship.

You guys think this is a fucking game, but it's not. Vacating a season or championship is a real shit stain on a University. Some 2nd rate trash schools may be willing to do this, but Texas will never ever risk vacating shit. It will also not risk in any way the eligibility of it's student-athletes. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, RGBIII said:

To this point. They will actually check that the TEs fulfilled their duties in the contract they signed. Every day I think about Chris Plonsky having to listen to the podcast and us saying fuck eleventy billion times…really keeps me going 

This is just absolute lunacy to me. The NCAA says it has no teeth anymore and no desire to enforce this shit and we are looking for problems where there don’t need to be any. Just insane. Or inane. Or infuriating. Pick any word that starts with I that’s appropriate. 
will take this offline now- don’t want to get in the way of the amazing thing being done here. 

3 minutes ago, immamac said:

No it wont. What will happen is Texas will never vacate any wins or a national championship.

You guys think this is a fucking game, but it's not. Vacating a season or championship is a real shit stain on a University. Some 2nd rate trash schools may be willing to do this, but Texas will never ever risk vacating shit. It will also not risk in any way the eligibility of it's student-athletes. 

and IMO that’s a wasted concern especially with regards to the SCOTUS and the direction the college game is going. The university shouldn’t be in the business of dictating values because that could set up an issue down the road where athletes could take the university to court for capping value. It’s not the university who should be deciding value but rather the person who is paying for the service. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 1

This is just absolute lunacy to me. The NCAA says it has no teeth anymore and no desire to enforce this shit and we are looking for problems where there don’t need to be any. Just insane. Or inane. Or infuriating. Pick any word that starts with I that’s appropriate. 
will take this offline now- don’t want to get in the way of the amazing thing being done here. 

I actually don’t think it’s that big of a deal. I mean @immamac and myself are fucking foul mouthed immature idiots and we breezed through compliance with zero issues aside from using burnt orange. If we can do this, something that has literally not been done by a single other university (the crowdsourcing aspect) then why can’t other BMDs. Compliance isn’t the issue it’s made out to be. It’s not hard to drop a bag and be compliant at the same time. We did

• Hook 'Em 1

And if you haven’t seen on Instagram already…Our official logo! Shirts have been ordered and will be on sale shortly, high quality shit! If you’re confused by the colors it’s the color of a brisket burnt end, the meat, smoke ring and bark. Shout out @TreatyOak for being a fucking BOSS

83AAC889-6F08-49CD-B304-8A59B68775F8.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

I actually don’t think it’s that big of a deal. I mean @immamac and myself are fucking foul mouthed immature idiots and we breezed through compliance with zero issues aside from using burnt orange. If we can do this, something that has literally not been done by a single other university (the crowdsourcing aspect) then why can’t other BMDs. Compliance isn’t the issue it’s made out to be. It’s not hard to drop a bag and be compliant at the same time. We did

This exactly. The University is watch out for it and the players best interest and I think they are doing a great job. 

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, immamac said:

When a player transfers or quits, the BMD stops licensing or reselling the NFT set and thereby it comes worthless and loses all residual value to the player. There’s ways to mitigate concerns there, as well as inflate value. 

1 minute ago, RGBIII said:

No link yet. Waiting to get our hands on them first before sending

Are you guys handling all of the actual packaging/shipping?   I guess the costs associated with online on-demand printing were too much? 

I'm going to have to get a PO box - last thing I need is you degenerates knowing where I live. 

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Are you guys handling all of the actual packaging/shipping?   I guess the costs associated with online on-demand printing were too much? 

I'm going to have to get a PO box - last thing I need is you degenerates knowing where I live. 

was hoping @RGBIII would be hand delivering them around the Houston area

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Yep, my actual real life job is shipping not podcasting as lucrative as that is lol. Everything will be delivered by Fed ex and look legit as fuck too. Side note: if you ship freight or small packages through UPS holler at your boy