Surly Horns Burnt Ends NIL Program- How YOU can help Texas with the NIL right now!

RGBIII

We're (Texas, not Surly) gonna have to step this shit up quickly...

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/32120440/ohio-state-buckeyes-qb-quinn-ewers-nil-deal-14-million-source-says

*I know this doesn't really go here, but wanted to make sure more eyes see this. Might spur some fence sitters to jump into the game.

Edited by IDIOTsavant

13 minutes ago, IDIOTsavant said:

We're (Texas, not Surly) gonna have to step this shit up quickly...

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/32120440/ohio-state-buckeyes-qb-quinn-ewers-nil-deal-14-million-source-says

*I know this doesn't really go here, but wanted to make sure more eyes see this. Might spur some fence sitters to jump into the game.

1.4 mill for autographs? What a crock, this doesn't seem sustainable

2 hours ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

1.4 mill for autographs? What a crock, this doesn't seem sustainable

Lmao at looking at sustainability with this. It’s literally money people are deeming market value and are willing to pay. 

it’s part of the reason why places like Oregon and Ohio state are setting the market while it seems our dumbass university is trying to regulate our players market value. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 2

15 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Lmao at looking at sustainability with this. You fuck faces who continue to talk that and ROI shut up. It’s literally money people are deeming market value and are willing to pay. 

it’s part of the reason why places like Oregon and Ohio state are setting the market while it seems our dumbass university is trying to regulate our players market value. 

Except when Ewers transfers or doesn't play a down those 3 years this is basically stupid and a huge waste of money. No one is going to sustainably write 1.3M checks to a guy that reclassified and isn't starting at all or gets hurt etc.

It's so naive to think that people like burning millions of dollars. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, immamac said:

Except when Ewers transfers or doesn't play a down those 3 years this is basically stupid and a huge waste of money. No one is going to sustainably write 1.3M checks to a guy that reclassified and isn't starting at all or gets hurt etc.

There's got to be some back room type deal that extends this beyond college and into the NFL.  Basically, same shady shit agents were doing earlier by giving out "loans" 

10 minutes ago, immamac said:

Is naive to think they’re doing it genuinely….they’re doing it to set markets and lead the way. They literally just showed every recruit in the nation that the #1 player in the 2021 class and first 1.000 ranked QB since Vince Young value is 1.4 million dollars. That my friend is setting the market. 

who are you or who is our university to say that isn’t the market? And as @JesusSweatDucksaid you don’t believe there is a back room deal in place? This shit is basically what basketball has been doing for years but now it’s legal. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, immamac said:

Worrying that players who sign NIL deals are going to transfer... it just scares you to death.

You're focused on the wrong thing. This looks like a sports agency that probably doesn't care too much about which school he's at, but maybe they plan to make their money back AND have him at the school they're fans of.

Regardless, It's a 3 year deal, so it's $466k per year. If he leaves, he forfeits whatever years are remaining. For the people spending the money, they'll sponsor a bunch of dudes and then hope that 50% of them pan out. They realize there's a risk, but it's all worth it if some of them make it and the team wins a title.

Just now, Hornlover said:

Worrying that players who sign NIL deals are going to transfer... it just scares you to death.

You're focused on the wrong thing. This looks like a sports agency that probably doesn't care too much about which school he's at, but maybe they plan to make their money back AND have him at the school they're fans of.

Regardless, It's a 3 year deal, so it's $466k per year. If he leaves, he forfeits whatever years are remaining. For the people spending the money, they'll sponsor a bunch of dudes and then hope that 50% of them pan out. They realize there's a risk, but it's all worth it if some of them make it and the team wins a title.

You guys know jack shit about how these contracts work so it's funny when you try and tell me, the guy who actually has an active one, how they do.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, immamac said:

You guys know jack shit about how these contracts work so it's funny when you try and tell me, the guy who actually has an active one, how they do.

I appreciate you making the deal. It's fucking awesome, and I'm totally on board with it.

I still also think:

1. You were wrong in the beginning when you continually downplayed NIL and said "it's not going to be that big of a deal". 

2. You still underestimate the BMDs who have spent tens to hundreds of millions of dollars over the years paying for stadium upgrades, firing coaches, charter jets, luxury suites, locker rooms, and opened their checkbooks several times over - with no return guaranteed. You think those guys aren't lining up to fork over cash to athletes that will directly impact the football team's chances of winning, while gaining even more access directly to the players whose attention they desperately crave?

3. Your fascination with "what happens if the guy gets paid and doesn't perform?" is way off target. People get hired for jobs all the time that end up sucking and you fire them and move on. People risk money on investments that don't pan out. It's all a cost of doing business. There's more risk with recruits taking a TransAm from A&M and then going to SMU or taking McDonalds bags from Tennessee and then transferring like a rat off a sinking ship as soon as Pruitt is fired. You can't very well recoup under-the-table money when a recruit leaves.

Edited by Hornlover

CFB is now the same as the NFL. The school might not be the entity offering the contracts but the result is the same. Is the 1.4 mil bar too high for a 3 year contract? If he pans out, absolutely. In fact, I would argue it’s too low if it equates to wins and hardware. Yes, some will not pan out, actually just like the NFL, most don’t pan out, but that shit can be fixed with contracts and lawyers. They already have been in the NFL. There are no more guaranteed 50 million contracts. It will be the same in CFB. There will be guaranteed signing bonuses, but rest won’t be paid until after performance. The money is available. The lawyers, agents, and players are willing. 

The people arguing it’s not sustainable are using the same argument when coaches salaries get bumped up to some absurd level, or when some PRO players gets a huge contract. It’s all shock at first, but in the end, the market has been reset. There is a new normal. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Sorry if you’re bothered by the fact that some high school kid skipped his senior year so he could make seven figures at a school, my school, where he might never even earn a starting spot. I think that’s stupid. I also think it’s kind of silly to think that what is essentially a GoFundMe campaign run by a fan website, where the website is going to skim a little off the top to pay for their efforts, is going to compete with the big time players that are going to drive the NIL machine.

But hey, monetize away. It’s none of my business. I’ll be interested to see how much money gets paid to Longhorn tight ends and how their names, images, or likenesses are used to justify the payments. But anything raised by a fanbase is going to be small potatoes compared to the money generated by shoe companies, agents, and marketing companies. Or car dealerships. Or who knows what else?

I’ve never watched any of Quinn Ewers’ highlight videos. I won’t be able to judge him until he actually throws a pass in a Buckeye uniform. And he’s already signed a seven figure deal? I won’t apologize for thinking that’s stupid. And I can’t help but think that that might not be an indication that the young man’s values aren’t in the right place to achieve a successful career on the football field.

• Fuck You 13

15 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Why hasn't any of our players received vehicles from Red or any other dealerships around Austin?

I've been wondering the same thing. I'm sure there are people wanting to give away cars/leases and players willing to accept them. Is it a school/compliance issue?

32 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

So you didn’t read shit before you passed judgement? Go fuck off back to that shit hole Colombus and stop talking about shit you don’t understand 

Did I misread where immamac said there would be a 3% fee for the effort? I don’t think so. If I’m wrong then point it out to me and I’ll admit I was wrong.

Ewers just made a deal for $1.4 Million. And it wasn’t his first deal. tOSU stole a 5 star recruit out of Texas and I’m not happy about how NIL affected how he skipped his senior year to come to Columbus. And you’re negging me for expressing that opinion? Lulz. Whatever, dude. And why does someone named after a Baylor QB care, anyway? Weird.

”There is a 3% fee associated with every purchase, worth it for me not to have to deal with monthly checks every month”

From the first post in the thread. Did I read that wrong?

Edited by WhatTheBuck
  • Fuck You 9

11 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Did I misread where immamac said there would be a 3% fee for the effort? I don’t think so. If I’m wrong then point it out to me and I’ll admit I was wrong.

Ewers just made a deal for $1.4 Million. And it wasn’t his first deal. tOSU stole a 5 star recruit out of Texas and I’m not happy about how NIL affected how he skipped his senior year to come to Columbus. And you’re negging me for expressing that opinion? Lulz. Whatever, dude. And why does someone named after a Baylor QB care, anyway? Weird.

”There is a 3% fee associated with every purchase, worth it for me not to have to deal with monthly checks every month”

That's a processing fee that Paypal charges, not Surly.

• Hook 'Em 4

16 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Immamac guaranteed the payout with his own fucking money (and he's still currently on the hook for about 12k) but you think he's trying to rip you off for 3%?

• Hook 'Em 8

6 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

That's a processing fee that Paypal charges, not Surly.

Just now, Hiphopopotamos said:

Immamac guaranteed the payout with his own fucking money (and he's still currently on the hook for about 12k) but you think he's trying to rip you off for 3%?

You are both wasting your breath.

• Hook 'Em 3

40 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Yes you misread that. But don't let being completely wrong stop you from having a strong and unfounded opinion, especially when that opinion puts the guy who owns the board you're a guest on in a bad light.  

• Hook 'Em 2

22 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

My bad.  I'm guessing all that reputation is from CR?

Yes.  His posts on there are as terrible as they are on here but they agree with the prevailing opinion so he has rep. In a sane world he wouldn't.  And when I say they are terrible I don't mean that I disagree with them.  I mean, they are literally terrible.  Poorly thought out.  Ill informed.  Just garbage.

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Hook 'Em 3

46 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

You're not getting negged for having an opinion, you're getting negged because everyone here can see right through your fake pearl clutching about taking the best QB prospect since Trevor Lawrence out of our state. "Oh woe is me! My team just reset the market for 5* QB prospects! How will we recover from this outrage? Won't someone think of poor Southlake Carroll?" GTFO with that nonsense.

• Hook 'Em 3