Best way to get a dog?

Should be a dumb question, I know. After 15 years of low key negotiations, we finally agreed on a lab. Wife wants a rescue cause good karma. The rescue labs I’ve seen online strike me as being huge pains in the ass - as in spaz dogs that have been dropped off because they suck. I don’t care about the initial cost, I just want a relatively chill lab who won’t chew our shit up and generally be a pain in the ass. Can I find a rescue/foster? Or our we better off buying a “quality” lab?

3 hours ago, Hanrahan said:

Should be a dumb question, I know. After 15 years of low key negotiations, we finally agreed on a lab. Wife wants a rescue cause good karma. The rescue labs I’ve seen online strike me as being huge pains in the ass - as in spaz dogs that have been dropped off because they suck. I don’t care about the initial cost, I just want a relatively chill lab who won’t chew our shit up and generally be a pain in the ass. Can I find a rescue/foster? Or our we better off buying a “quality” lab?

Go find an older rescue dog. They’re probably out of their spaz phase and will want to take frequent naps. And just as rescue groups today question the shit out of you, return the favor. Ask them a million questions about the dog and the return policy. Any decent rescue group should understand that a bad match shouldn’t be a lifetime commitment.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Rescue dogs are fine if you take your time to get the right match.  We've had two dogs from Heart of Texas Lab Rescue.  Our current lab was roughly 3 years old when we got her in 2009.  She's nearing the end, but has been a great dog.  We met with 3 or 4 dogs initially, but most were too young with too much energy.  I watched another couple walk this well mannered black lab and asked if we could see her.  They brought her out for a home visit and left her overnight.  She's been a blessing.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Hanrahan said:

If you get a lab puppy, they’re gonna chew up shit and generally be a pain in the ass.

Labs generally have great temperaments so I get it but rather than agree on a breed then try and find a good rescue of that breed why don't you just visit a shelter or rescue operation and see what they have and interact with some of the dogs ahead of time? 

I would think the only point of deciding on a breed is if you're buying a puppy or young dog from a breeder. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

If you get a lab puppy, they’re gonna chew up shit and generally be a pain in the ass.

… and don’t forget barking.

But, we’re on our fourth lab in 35 years and never thought twice when it was time for a new family member.

image.thumb.jpeg.b2991c40334e375b4e8be12605dc275d.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.291d4b474226992daa3e577128d54bdf.jpeg

Lab Rescue …

Edited by VirginiaLonghorn
🐶
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

Rescue dogs are fine if you take your time to get the right match.  We've had two dogs from Heart of Texas Lab Rescue.  Our current lab was roughly 3 years old when we got her in 2009.  She's nearing the end, but has been a great dog.  We met with 3 or 4 dogs initially, but most were too young with too much energy.  I watched another couple walk this well mannered black lab and asked if we could see her.  They brought her out for a home visit and left her overnight.  She's been a blessing.

This, we have two rescues now and they are some of the best dogs ever. You need to ask questions and meet the dogs, but I 100% think this is the way to go for a lot of reasons. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Hanrahan said:

The rescue labs I’ve seen online strike me as being huge pains in the ass - as in spaz dogs that have been dropped off because they suck. I don’t care about the initial cost, I just want a relatively chill lab who won’t chew our shit up and generally be a pain in the ass.

Dogs end up in shelters for all kinds of reasons.  They're not all there because of behavioral problems.  

And you can do a foster-to-adopt.  If it's not a good match, take the doggo back and try a different one.

Also, if the dog is chewing things up, you could, ya know, train him.

I know at least a dozen people who've gotten great dogs from Austin Pets Alive, including me.  I got a lab/rottie mix, 6 years old at the time, horribly abused, aggression issues, etc.  Rehabilitating this guy is honestly one of the most rewarding things I've ever done.

But if you want a dog that won't take so much work, they definitely have those, too.  Don't assume they're all headcases because someone didn't want them anymore.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, Hanrahan said:

You should probably just not get a dog. Do rover for a few weeks and thank me later. 

17 hours ago, Hanrahan said:

There are dog people and non-dog people.  You and your wife are non-dog people.  Foster a shelter/rescue for a couple months and then decide if you really want to try and be dog people.

• Like 1

F the haters.  The fact that you've taken a long time to consider it and make sure the time is right is a good thing, not bad.

I've had a rescue lab that was 2 when we got him and a breeder lab that we got as a puppy.  Both dogs were/are great in their own right. The rescue had health issues that took him too soon.  The breeder dog brought with him all the joys of raising a puppy.  It's fucking hard.

Interestingly, acquiring the rescue dog can be just as expensive and a much bigger pain in the ass than buying from a breeder.  Some of the people who run those organizations are self righteous assholes.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

haha, I had to spend $4500 for a fence my city would approve of because the rescue group insisted that I get a 6  foot fence for a golden that was about 3. 

Poor thing died about 3 years later. Second golden that died of cancer on me. Then I got small dogs that the original fence would have been fine for. I have to put the cone of shame on the chihuahua to keep him from fitting through the slats hahaha. 

My advice:  find a rescue (even a breed specific rescue if breed is essential) with a good fostering program.  You can learn about the dog from his fostering experience (good with kids, good with cats, can't be left alone, needs lots of exercise, etc.)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
Got her from Lucky Lab rescue. She’s about a year old, 50 pounds and extremely well-mannered.

So far. But just get through the next few weeks of her finding her new home. It sometimes takes a bit for them. But good for you. It will be worthwhile. Lots of walks and exercise and socializing is key
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Updawg said:

So far. But just get through the next few weeks of her finding her new home. It sometimes takes a bit for them. But good for you. It will be worthwhile. Lots of walks and exercise and socializing is key

She seems to be doing really well.  She is crate trained and woke up about 2:00 am sounding distressed.  I took her out for about five minutes and she crawled back inside and went to sleep.  She's been a happy dog other than that.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Hanrahan said:

She seems to be doing really well.  She is crate trained and woke up about 2:00 am sounding distressed.  I took her out for about five minutes and she crawled back inside and went to sleep.  She's been a happy dog other than that.

Great news.  She is beauty!   As she gets confident, she will get a bit rambunctious, but it looks like she is off to a great start.   The rescue group should provide training tips if anything comes up.  @Updawg is right:  walks, exercise and socializing.  Think about a day care visit once or twice a week.  They come home exhausted and happy from a day of play.

• Like 1

This. I can’t vouch for breed specific rescues but our last three dogs have been rescue mutts. Rescued by groups that visit shelters and snag the ones they deem most adoptable. They let you take them in on a temporary basis and make sure they are a good fit. Ours have been great.