Gavin Newsom Recall

Horn Dogg

3 hours ago, Blotto said:

Throw Abrams into the mix as the VP and you might have something. 

at that point Abrams will either be the twice-losing gubernatorial candidate from georgia, which isn't a great look but at least she's not a cop, or she's the governor of georgia, and walking off a job after 2 years is probably terrible for trying to maintain D gains in that state.  which democrats definitely need to hold on to. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, elfenix said:

at that point Abrams will either be the twice-losing gubernatorial candidate from georgia, which isn't a great look but at least she's not a cop, or she's the governor of georgia, and walking off a job after 2 years is probably terrible for trying to maintain D gains in that state.  which democrats definitely need to hold on to. 

Gretchen 👏 Whitmer

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, elfenix said:

I get your point, but does anyone really expect a black democratic women to win the gubernatorial election in a deep south GOP state that elected MTG and will probably elect a GOP potato to the senate. The '18 election raised her profile/reputation considerably due to all the fuckery by Kemp, etc... and her response after the election. depending on what transpires in 22, its not clear to me it would tarnish her too badly.

I'm not particularly wed to the idea, and not even sure if Abrams would have any interest (especially if she pulls off a miracle in 22). It was more of a way to somewhat balance the white-maleness of Newsom that will likely agitate the progressives in the party. 

27 minutes ago, Blotto said:

I get your point, but does anyone really expect a black democratic women to win the gubernatorial election in a deep south GOP state that elected MTG and will probably elect a GOP potato to the senate. The '18 election raised her profile/reputation considerably due to all the fuckery by Kemp, etc... and her response after the election. depending on what transpires in 22, its not clear to me it would tarnish her too badly.

I'm not particularly wed to the idea, and not even sure if Abrams would have any interest (especially if she pulls off a miracle in 22). It was more of a way to somewhat balance the white-maleness of Newsom that will likely agitate the progressives in the party. 

No one expected Georgia to send two Democrats to the Senate and pick Joe Biden, either. 

2 hours ago, Blotto said:

the white-maleness of Newsom that will likely agitate the progressives in the party. 

You are conflating identitarians with progressives. Progressives are grounded in economic issues (FDR Democrats), not identity politics.

Newsom resonates with progressives on economic issues. He runs the 5th largest economy in the world - and is applauded for taking care of the working poor. The homeless are another matter. 

17 hours ago, washparkhorn said:

You are conflating identitarians with progressives. Progressives are grounded in economic issues (FDR Democrats), not identity politics.

Newsom resonates with progressives on economic issues. He runs the 5th largest economy in the world - and is applauded for taking care of the working poor. The homeless are another matter. 

California’s homeless problem is probably not solvable without a massive overhaul of mental health care in our country. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it finally happened:

California Democratic Gov. Gavin Newsom on Friday signed a gun control bill into law that will allow private citizens to sue anyone who manufactures, sells, transports or distributes illegal "assault weapons and ghost guns."

The measure was crafted in response to last year's Texas abortion ban that prohibits the procedure once a heartbeat was detected and allows private citizens to sue physicians, drivers or anyone else who aids a woman in receiving an abortion for $10,000.

The California gun law would grant $10,000 in damages per weapon to private citizens who sue. Citizens could also be awarded the same amount if they file a lawsuit against someone who illegally sells firearms to people under 21 years of age.

The bill was introduced after Newsom directed state lawmakers in December to draft a gun control measure modeled after Texas' abortion law, S.B. 8. The governor called for the legislation just days after the Supreme Court ruled that the Texas heartbeat law could remain in effect following a legal challenge.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 7/13/2022 at 2:37 PM, Blotto said:

the white-maleness of Newsom that will likely agitate the progressives in the party. 

The progressives hate white males so much they have come out in droves to support a geriatric white male in two straight Presidential primary cycles. They took HRC all the way to the convention, their hatred of white males perhaps costing what would have been the first female POTUS the election, and forced the entire moderate/establishment field to coalesce around Biden in order to prevent Sanders from winning the primary in 2020.

Brilliant analysis.

• Like 1

On 7/14/2022 at 11:58 AM, David Dennison said:

And a massive overhaul of housing policy.

I don't think there's anything that rivals bad land use policy in terms of the amount of this country's problems for which is it a/the root issue.

3 hours ago, gmr548 said:

I don't think there's anything that rivals bad land use policy in terms of the amount of this country's problems for which is it a/the root issue.

I think Newsom has done some good things vis-a-vis housing policy.  For example, virtually anyone can build a guesthouse now.  State law that overrides any local ordinances. 

• 1 month later...

Gavin Newsom Is ‘Unequivocally’ Running for President in 2024 if Biden Doesn’t 

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/gavin-newsom-unequivocally-running-president-130000010.html

So admittedly, I don't follow CA politics that much... but Newsom kinda sucks, right? Seems like he is showing up to the national scene begging to be relevant and get attention when his own house ain't anywhere in order.

The images of homelessness and people openly stealing from stores would just bury this guy.

19 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Gavin Newsom Is ‘Unequivocally’ Running for President in 2024 if Biden Doesn’t 

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/gavin-newsom-unequivocally-running-president-130000010.html

So admittedly, I don't follow CA politics that much... but Newsom kinda sucks, right? Seems like he is showing up to the national scene begging to be relevant and get attention when his own house ain't anywhere in order.

The images of homelessness and people openly stealing from stores would just bury this guy.

Don't matter.  Biden is going to run.

1 minute ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

His 60 Minutes interview suggested otherwise. At the very least, there is a lot of doubt.

He said he intends to run.  He said it's not a firm decision, but they're already assembling his 2024 apparatus. 

Biden aides are quietly assembling a 2024 campaign as they await a final decision on his political future (nbcnews.com)

4 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Newsome would be a terrible candidate. Even if he wasn't so smarmy, "California politics" carries a stigma, even in blue states.

A smarmy politician in the Oval. Imagine that. I don’t agree. He could win the nomination and the presidency.

59 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Why would Florida or Texas politics get a pass?

Because people are very stupid, and decades of "wacky California politics" stereotypes are engrained in their minds, even left-leaning moderates.

Texas and Florida aren't there yet, but they're giving it their best shot.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Satchel said:

California is trying to produce its own insulin, replace gas fueled cars and create single payer comprehensive healthcare for all of its citizens. Texas has codified bills that sic private citizens on women and doctors while openly harassing the parents of transgendered kids. But California is wacky?

Dude, I live in California. You don't have to sell me. I'm just telling you the reality of middle-of-the-country voters.

Because people are very stupid, and decades of "wacky California politics" stereotypes are engrained in their minds, even left-leaning moderates.

Whacky California politics are a justified stereotype. But I think Newsome vetoing free drug injection clinics was his first step in trying to move a little towards center from his far left perch. But he has a long way to go to rinse the SF hyper progressive stank off of him.
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, aggie08 said:

In “their” minds? Or in your mind? That doesn’t describe my mind. Is it possible that that’s just your perception?

I’d vote for him. 

20 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

In “their” minds? Or in your mind? That doesn’t describe my mind. Is it possible that that’s just your perception?

I’d vote for him. 

Someone who routinely posts on a left-leaning political message board aren't the votes he'd need to win the electoral college. He'd need a decent percentage of the people who nod along robotically when they read a Facebook post lamenting how many Californians are moving elsewhere to escape the "insanity."

Non-Californians think everywhere is San Francisco.

1 hour ago, Sbbruin said:

Whacky California politics are a justified stereotype. But I think Newsome vetoing free drug injection clinics was his first step in trying to move a little towards center from his far left perch. But he has a long way to go to rinse the SF hyper progressive stank off of him.

And in SF he was basically a Republican. He’d have a significant perception issue. 

2 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

I know plenty of non-Californians who don’t think that. Many from Ohio, some from Pennsylvania, some from New York, some from Southern California, some even from San Francisco.

But it’s probably academic because if gas prices continue to fall, employment remains high, and Republicans keep taking away people’s rights, Biden will probably win re-election. 

2 hours ago, VivaNaranja said:

*Three.

What makes the last two from Cali any better?

totally forgot about HW.   so 2 out of 3 got us heavily involved in land wars in asia for reasons. 

who said the last two from cali are any better?

Edited by elfenix

3 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Someone who routinely posts on a left-leaning political message board aren't the votes he'd need to win the electoral college. He'd need a decent percentage of the people who nod along robotically when they read a Facebook post lamenting how many Californians are moving elsewhere to escape the "insanity."

Do you really think so?

I’ve been in San Francisco for 10 hours now and haven’t seen one needle or human poop on the sidewalk. Pretty disappointed with Union Square being so close to Tenderloin. I wanted an authentic experience.

If someone Venmos me 10 dollars I’ll walk out of CVS with a case of beer. If they even sell beer in them.

Edited by StassneyHorn

14 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

I’ve been in San Francisco for 10 hours now and haven’t seen one needle or human poop on the sidewalk. Pretty disappointed with Union Square being so close to Tenderloin. I wanted an authentic experience.

If someone Venmos me 10 dollars I’ll walk out of CVS with a case of beer. If they even sell beer in them.

They’ve been clearing the streets for Dreamforce. Just walk west on Ellis for a few blocks and you’ll get the full Frisco experience. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Newsome would be a terrible candidate. Even if he wasn't so smarmy, "California politics" carries a stigma, even in blue states.

10 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Newsome should start busing all those homeless people to texas and florida

6 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

Yea I think Newsome would do really well nationally. He could pull in moderates because he’s a white man, he has good progressive policies to get the base out to vote, and he would likely do well in presidential debates especially against someone like DeSantis 

6 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

newsom. 

• Haha 1