2021-2022 hunting thread

markstanco

4 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

You’re not the only one :(   Just got a call this AM and might have to be back onsite to babysit a project going to shit. So, same shit, different year. 

Project lead tried to last second get me to go onsite for him in Chitown right after Thanksgiving. This is after he insisted on being only one on-site as a cost saver to the client. Told him I’d “look and see what I can do”. But turns out I don’t have child care coverage for the baby bc my MiL has a medical procedure that week. At least that’s what I told him.  Net is he is going to get bitched at all week by the client while I sit in a deer stand and free my brain. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

Y’all killing me. I’m stuck until at least next weekend, maybe the following.  Good luck to everyone, at least it’s cool Wx. 

I might get some time tomorrow afternoon to see if anything shows up, but the rut around here typically peaks around mid November, so I dont mind waiting a week to get some real hunting in.

8 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

fb7035c148709963e9ada9d882f10f78.jpg

Fire, whiskey, and bullshit with a diverse group of guys. Good shit.

Hope to get some meat tomorrow. We’ll see. I made tacos for the crew for breakfast tomorrow, chorizo con huevo, will heat them up in the morning.

This is what I like about deer season. I'll let the kids and guests worry about shooting the fauna. I've got sitting and boozing to do. Maybe we'll pull out some cards later, too. 

• Like 4

I shot registered FITASC and 5-Stand yesterday for the first time. Scores weren't anything special but got the first time jitters out of the way and ended up having a blast.

My reasoning is that I wasn't happy with my performance on the doves this fall, so I feel I need to become a better all-around shotgun shooter and shoot sporting more often. I also just want to be better at sporting clays so when I get invited to participate in a charity shoot, I can uphold my part of the bargain and contribute more. 

And as much as I love it, I'm not going to achieve either just focusing solely on the same 24 shots over and over again in registered skeet. 

1 minute ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

I shot registered FITASC and 5-Stand yesterday for the first time. Scores weren't anything special but got the first time jitters out of the way and ended up having a blast.

My reasoning is that I wasn't happy with my performance on the doves this fall, so I feel I need to become a better all-around shotgun shooter and shoot sporting more often. I also just want to be better at sporting clays so when I get invited to participate in a charity shoot, I can uphold my part of the bargain and contribute more. 

And as much as I love it, I'm not going to achieve either just focusing solely on the same 24 shots over and over again in registered skeet. 

You need to get your aiming juice levels checked.  

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Zeus said:

C'mon Bambi I know your momma around

In one of my wildlife classes we had to have a debate about how the movie bambi affected public perception of wildlife management. One person took the position that it illustrates many important aspects of proper wildlife management, such as harvesting does and controlled burns.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I've gone bow hunting a few times this year with no luck, but work and social life has been a beast all of October thus limiting my opportunities to go. There is something magical about the general season opener, though. I have a submittal due on Monday, so of course I'm sitting here in the office like a fucking bum instead of taking advantage of the wonderful weather. Good luck fellas!

Edited by Noogman

5 minutes ago, Noogman said:

I've gone bow hunting a few times this year with no luck, but work and social life has been a beast all of October thus limiting my opportunities to go. There is something magical about the general season opener, though. I have a submittal due on Monday, so of course I'm sitting here in the office like a fucking bum instead of taking advantage of the wonderful weather. Good luck fellas!

office space no GIF

• Haha 1

On 11/5/2021 at 12:09 PM, deadshank said:

I’ve never had a bad GW contact.  They’ve always been professional, cordial and easy to work with.  

One stopped in on us right when the WWs started flying to check our licenses.   He checked mine and said I can go ahead and start shooting again.  I pointed out that he and his truck were in the way.  He said to not worry about it and start blasting but don’t shoot him.  

Well, OK!  I moved over about 10 yards and kept my shotgun at 45 degrees up.   The next WW that flew over got smoked, spiraled out and landed at his feet.   He said “nice shot” and stooped over, picked it up and tossed it to me.  

I asked  him if I needed to tip the bird boy.  He grinned and said “no, have fun.”  

That one incident was really the only head scratching encounter I've seen.  And, it wasn't me.  Most of the other times have been awesome.  Including when a GW showed up when the dove were THICK and said, "Fellas, I'm terribly sorry, I'm sure y'all are good, but I gotta do my job, I promise to be quick so y'all can knock out your limits."

Got the group text last night at 6:30 that the fields were too wet for my son's baseball tourney this weekend.  Best news all week!  So, we loaded up the kids and headed west.  Got to the ranch by 9:30.  Glorious morning sipping coffee with my oldest by my side.  Covered up with deer, but nothing worth shooting.  Saw a little 8 pointer with his nose to the ground and starting to chase a doe.  Rut is close.  I doubt we'll sling lead this weekend, but love being out in the stand opening weekend.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1