2021-2022 hunting thread

markstanco

16 minutes ago, HOOKEM4 said:

I have never seen a deer (in person) with a rack as crazy as most of the ones posted on this page. One time on a managed ranch I saw some...on a video of someone else shooting a cull.  I am still going to post my little hill country free range. I love seeing what is possible. My spot, if you see a 4yr old 8, you are lucky. I shot 2 5yr old 8's one year.  There is legend of an old 10pt roaming but he doesn't look anything close to the stuff yall see. Daaangit. Maybe I will get lucky this year and go to south Texas for a big boy.

This is our first year on this ranch.  It's over 10 sections, and we haven't fully scouted it, but we are covered up in mature-ish nice 4 to 5 year-old 8-pointers that folks on many places would likely shoot on sight.  We are trying to let all of them grow up and see what a couple of more years of growth will do. 

But that 28 pointer is way out of the norm, so I understand why he was taken. 

We are low fence and 2 sides have some happy hunters that over do it. I am not too worried as we keep the doe loaded up on the place. This next week is always peak rut. Worried about the full moon but we will see. I have the 10 on camera from last weekend when my fil went up. Need some luck. I am due!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

I'd jizz my pants if I saw most of the deer over the last few pages in the field. 

Funny, but in reality I’d probably get all jittery and miss.  Nothing gets that big around our hill country place. I’m holding out hope for a 12 even if that’s probably a pipe dream.  

This is our first year on this ranch.  It's over 10 sections, and we haven't fully scouted it, but we are covered up in mature-ish nice 4 to 5 year-old 8-pointers that folks on many places would likely shoot on sight.  We are trying to let all of them grow up and see what a couple of more years of growth will do. 
But that 28 pointer is way out of the norm, so I understand why he was taken. 
I can definitely see why he was taken. Wasn't bagging on your buddy because if something like that jumped out in front of me and I didn't have history of him, bang would go the gun.
Good thing is that if there is one freak, there are others. Good luck on your new place.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, DalTxHornFan said:

We have a dozen members.  Guests can kill does, some very well-defined culls, and all of the hogs they can shoot!

Damn that’s a great ratio Hunter/acre. Was just curious. I used to hunt (as a 2x yearly guest) on a 7k acre pasture that was part of  18k. And the owners second ranch down the road was 24k.   But so much of it was inaccessible it really was just the same 20 stands.   We are on a lowly 1000 now.  Wish it was a few more. 

11 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Damn that’s a great ratio Hunter/acre. Was just curious. I used to hunt (as a 2x yearly guest) on a 7k acre pasture that was part of  18k. And the owners second ranch down the road was 24k.   But so much of it was inaccessible it really was just the same 20 stands.   We are on a lowly 1000 now.  Wish it was a few more. 

It is more land than we need for our group and we are each paying more $ than we want to.  But it is a very cool place. We are hopeful that we can get established on this ranch and get a good long-term working relationship with the owner (that is the hardest part of deer leases -- the core lease members have been doing this stuff together for well over 30 years) so that we can add some newer/younger hunters as lease members. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

It is more land than we need for our group and we are each paying more $ than we want to.  But it is a very cool place. We are hopeful that we can get established on this ranch and get a good long-term working relationship with the owner (that is the hardest part of deer leases -- the core lease members have been doing this stuff together for well over 30 years) so that we can add some newer/younger hunters as lease members. 

Well shooting 180’s will help take the sting out of paying more than you want, I suppose.  My group has only been together for about 10-12 years, but everyone has known each other between 20 and 50 years.  The only guy I didn’t know was very close with one of my family like friends since they were born, so it’s got a great family dynamic to it.  Just need some better deer.  The place that adjoins ours is 3k acres and we’ve talked about incorporating that, but it was a corporate place for a long time and is supposedly shot way out. They haven’t been able to come to a deal to lease it out in last several years, which is pretty telling imo.  Eta: con of my place is it’s me, and 5 very red ass aggys. 

Edited by fattyflattie

19 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Plenty of good hunting happens on less than 1,000 acres.  Make it a sanctuary and you never know what might happen.  That 28 point was hanging out in an area that nobody had been around in a long time.

6 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Well shooting 180’s will help take the sting out of paying more than you want, I suppose.  My group has only been together for about 10-12 years, but everyone has known each other between 20 and 50 years.  The only guy I didn’t know was very close with one of my family like friends since they were born, so it’s got a great family dynamic to it.  Just need some better deer.  The place that adjoins ours is 3k acres and we’ve talked about incorporating that, but it was a corporate place for a long time and is supposedly shot way out. They haven’t been able to come to a deal to lease it out in last several years, which is pretty telling imo.  Eta: con of my place is it’s me, and 5 very red ass aggys. 

Our crew earlier took over a oil & gas corporate lease that had been shot up every weekend by guests and other hooligans for many years.  It didn't take long to get that place back into shape.  Nature is good about that if you are selective about the deer that you harvest.

Edited by DalTxHornFan

6 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Plenty of good hunting happens on less than 1,000 acres.  Make it a sanctuary and you never know what might happen.  That 28 point was hanging out in an area that nobody had been around in a long time.

We have some good deer, don’t get me wrong. Just wish we had a bigger spread, further from town. 10 sections would be spectacular. Our quail is what glues us to the place. It seems to hold great #’s at least for the last 10 years.   Can’t complain about that. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

We have some good deer, don’t get me wrong. Just wish we had a bigger spread, further from town. 10 sections would be spectacular. Our quail is what glues us to the place. It seems to hold great #’s at least for the last 10 years.   Can’t complain about that. 

Don't y'all have live water?

10 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Jealous of the quail for sure. We haven't had any in several years. 

2 hours ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

Donde esta el gato?

South of Tyler. When we go back on Sunday I plan on trying to figure out how long he is. It's possible it's a spotless bobcat, but it seems a little too big for that. The tail doesn't seem quite long enough either, but it could just not be showing up due to poor resolution and lighting and whatnot.

South of Tyler. When we go back on Sunday I plan on trying to figure out how long he is. It's possible it's a spotless bobcat, but it seems a little too big for that. The tail doesn't seem quite long enough either, but it could just not be showing up due to poor resolution and lighting and whatnot.

Careful what you wish for….7152f9005e66fe2f60ccb4940ec3ca49.jpg

5 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

I will kiss your coon dog flush on the lips at noon on Saturday in the county square if that is a mountain lion. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Damn, seriously? East Texas? Not sure why but that's not the answer I was expecting. Thought it looked pretty lush in the photos. 

Alright, after a little more thought, I'm thinking it's just a large bobcat without prominent spots. Each of those squares from the cattle panel are eight inches wide, so that's between 24 and 32 inches at the panel. Not sure how far behind the panel he is, but we will check it out this weekend. Also there looks to be a dark spot towards the end of what tail he has or that you can see, which points to bobcat.

So, something more like this:

bob1.jpg?itok=XXX5tAaz

140916-F-SF323-001.JPG

2 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Alright, after a little more thought, I'm thinking it's just a large bobcat without prominent spots. Each of those squares from the cattle panel are eight inches wide, so that's between 24 and 32 inches at the panel. Not sure how far behind the panel he is, but we will check it out this weekend. Also there looks to be a dark spot towards the end of what tail he has or that you can see, which points to bobcat.

So, something more like this:

bob1.jpg?itok=XXX5tAaz

140916-F-SF323-001.JPG

Seems I won’t be kissing any coon dogs today 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, deadshank said:

In blind 9.  Waiting for the headless horseman to pay a visit. 

8A5BB26F-AABE-4472-8C0C-39E02A3642F7.jpeg

You see many pigs? I hunt in Mills County and know they are around but I never see any, or their damage. It would be fun to thin them out but I’m actually glad we don’t have any.

3 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Each of those squares from the cattle panel are eight inches wide, so that's between 24 and 32 inches at the panel.

That’s what I was using to gauge it as well, though can be deceiving depending on where he actually was. But if it was a big cat, you’d see that big ass tail. The one out lease member saw a few weeks ago the tail looked nearly as long as the cat was.