2021-2022 hunting thread

markstanco

1 hour ago, RMac5 said:

You see many pigs? I hunt in Mills County and know they are around but I never see any, or their damage. It would be fun to thin them out but I’m actually glad we don’t have any.

We have plenty of pigs.  They’re fairly nocturnal but we see more daylighters as it gets colder and food becomes more scarce.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Damn battery was dead on feeder. Moved to the closest other feeder and spooked 3 as we walked up that were under that feeder. At least I know it is working. Quickly got into the blind to see if anything else shows. 1 hour of hunting still left. It's kind of warm so most of the deer probably won't be moving till dusk anyways.46389f78a0f396d13cda14827a601fc9.jpg

Great evening in the Tally Bottoms off of the Sabine River in NE Texas. No shots fired, but enjoyed watching this young man grunt and chase a few ladies around. Rut is in full effect….hoping this one makes it 3 more years.

59EBF78A-AFD7-47B3-8B41-3F0BD9FFB505.thumb.jpeg.f59ce512b52c429f99ab5bdafa7ad94d.jpeg793172DD-7CF3-41E1-B393-274863AFE9CD.thumb.jpeg.5b7ff1cb5354aa364bf80add838bf868.jpeg

8544B41D-C0D2-40A2-A51F-98D628406ED5.jpeg

Edited by Izhmash
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

Taught my 9 year old to shoot a center fire rifle today. Still need some help handling the recoil, but getting the hang of it. Did some hunting with her today, she really wants a deer. Didn’t work out this evening but will try tomorrow. Finished with some elk steaks and Camus cabernet, pretty great day.

c6842157ed55ed618c720c820326ca29.jpg

a2c604069a83a501315e50ca0547b29a.jpg

5561e5ab954d0546504cbc91aaff830f.jpg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 5

18 minutes ago, 686 said:

Taught my 9 year old to shoot a center fire rifle today. Still need some help handling the recoil, but getting the hang of it.

What’s she shooting? I’ve worked my 9 yo from rimfires to 410 and need to move her up to a small center fire. Been hunting the right 222 for awhile, but thinking may cave and get her a 223.  Want it to be a bolt action. 

7 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

What’s she shooting? I’ve worked my 9 yo from rimfires to 410 and need to move her up to a small center fire. Been hunting the right 222 for awhile, but thinking may cave and get her a 223.  Want it to be a bolt action. 

Might consider a 300 BLK. I rebuilt my Rem 7 223 in 300 BLK and it's amazing. Low recoil with a bit more energy on impact. Seems a good option for the kids.

I was a bit small when I started hunting. I used a 218Bee. Anybody ever shot one of those? Can't really find them around much anymore.

Edited by Izhmash
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Izhmash said:

Might consider a 300 BLK. I rebuilt my Rem 7 223 in 300 BLK and it's amazing. Low recoil with a bit more energy on impact. Seems a good option for the kids.

I was a bit small when I started hunting. I used a 218Bee. Anybody ever shot one of those? Can't really find them around much anymore.

218 bee is a cool cartridge.  I bought her a model 7 243 a few years ago with outstanding wood on it. Well, I bought it for me and used her as the excuse. But we’re still a few years from a 243 for her I’d reckon. 

• Hook 'Em 1

A crossbow? You need to drink more and up your impulse buy game. I mean, congrats on the crossbow. I should buy one. But you still need to up your game.

I went Sika deer hunting in MD last year and that was the only allowed option. I enjoyed sitting up in the tree with the crossbow. Thought I’d get one for fun on various hunts
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Izhmash said:

300 blk is great for kids.   Both my older boys took their first deer with a Ruger American in that chambering.  My youngest shot it for the first time at 7 and didn’t think the recoil was much different than a 10/22, just louder.  It will definitely put down a whitetail or pig.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Looking like it will be a high of 60/low 40 on Friday -> Saturday. In that type of weather, what’s my best option for processing?  I do not have access to walk-in/large cold storage. If I recall from a few pages back I can do the cooler/ice/drain/replace ice regularly, but curious if I can skip the “aging” and just process the entire carcass. 

Lots of movement this morning. Had my girl on a spike that needs to be taken out when out of the corner of her eye, she sees this guy rolling in. We're on a management buck hunt so we had to evaluate him and get the thumbs up from the landowner via text. He said SHOOT HIM, so she did.

Nice work and congrats!

A Tikka in 22-250 with a Boyd’s at one adjustable stock. The stock was still too long so I took off the adjustable butt pad and made a little homemade recoil pad that cut the draw length down another 3/4”.
  • Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, RMac5 said:

You see many pigs? I hunt in Mills County and know they are around but I never see any, or their damage. It would be fun to thin them out but I’m actually glad we don’t have any.

Plenty of pigs in Mills County, mostly the western part-although I’ve seen 2 road killed (?) ones within the city limits of Goldthwaite in the last month.  You’ll have ‘em soon enough.

Impressive that thing was DRT.  Sharpshooter. 

Eta oldest daughter and me are pulling out the gate now headed to the ranch.  I reckon I’ve got 2 more years hunting or so before I become full time guides for them. Can’twait.gif
Here last 2 bucks have been DRT. I guess I can leave my gun back at camp now. She's a pretty good shot now.
Being full-time guide ain't too bad, even the gutting and quartering. I made her help and hold legs and stuff. She's quartered put a hog on a TYHP hunt last winter so I know she'll get in there and do it.
I'm back in the blind....by myself. She said she wanted me to go have a chance to shoot None of the daughters wanted to go out this afternoon. They have been having lots of fun playing around and are making dinner for us 3 dads. Fried fish and shrimp with surprise sides.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, Both Tacos said:

Here last 2 bucks have been DRT. I guess I can leave my gun back at camp now. She's a pretty good shot now.
Being full-time guide ain't too bad, even the gutting and quartering. I made her help and hold legs and stuff. She's quartered put a hog on a TYHP hunt last winter so I know she'll get in there and do it.
I'm back in the blind....by myself. She said she wanted me to go have a chance to shoot emoji2.png None of the daughters wanted to go out this afternoon. They have been having lots of fun playing around and are making dinner for us 3 dads. Fried fish and shrimp with surprise sides.

Lol my kids don’t like the dirty work either, I got told I smell ripe, which I do, but they don’t seem much interested in making sausage.  

Back out for the evening after checking the cam and seeing one of my full targets routinely showing up in the evening. He has maybe a 2”-3” gap between his G2s and seems to be representing the bad genetics at our place.  The good genes are making 2.5 year old 10s, so there’s that. 

F98F0F56-CCF9-4436-8F7A-0117AE2F19F5.jpeg

A634DBEA-E8C5-42E7-8992-DD5D26135495.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

This guy showed up last night. Never seen him before. Never even seen a rack that nice in Vernon. My group all agreed we hope he survives the season but that he probably won’t. He needs 1 more year of growth.

2c7d2a92c136460df2df2fef825a8799.jpg

This guy came back this morning, he had been the biggest we’d seen this season. He’s been keeping a low profile since October.

3f610a0db14f2d346aa481edd6dad97c.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Spent the weekend out at the ranch and just got back in. Shot two more hogs and saw a bunch of deer. It was an amazing morning this morning as the wind shifted and the rut seemed to be full on in NW Jack county. It was like a switch flipped from last night to this morning; had multiple bucks chasing hard

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Speedtrucker said:

This guy showed up last night. Never seen him before. Never even seen a rack that nice in Vernon. My group all agreed we hope he survives the season but that he probably won’t. He needs 1 more year of growth.

This guy came back this morning, he had been the biggest we’d seen this season. He’s been keeping a low profile since October.

3f610a0db14f2d346aa481edd6dad97c.jpg

CHIEF Jr. is texting some chick in Vernon that lives in Seymour. He has about 3-4 lined up out here. I asked him what is the first question you ask them? His answer? “How Much land you got in your family?” I raised him right. A thousand acres raises a girl’s value a full point. A seven with 3000 acres is a ten. The gal from Seymour, he says, is a “butterface” but they have several thousand acres. 

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

CHIEF Jr. is texting some chick in Vernon that lives in Seymour. He has about 3-4 lined up out here. I asked him what is the first question you ask them? His answer? “How Much land you got in your family?” I raised him right. A thousand acres raises a girl’s value a full point. A seven with 3000 acres is a ten. The gal from Seymour, he says, is a “butterface” but they have several thousand acres. 

CHIEF

Definitely one of the bad life choices I made in college.  Just didn't appreciate how much prettier a girl with a ranch (or ranches) was.

Nice buck! He would be awesome with another year. As you say, not likely, but there’s a chance. Things have changed in many parts of Texas. I saw at least a half dozen bucks this weekend on our little low fence place that are bigger than anything I ever saw hunting the hill country in the 80s-early 2000’s; they would have been shot years before now. Antler restrictions, trail cameras, high fences, the internet, etc have all changed hunting society. Good luck