2021-2022 hunting thread

markstanco

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

That’s been my suspicion - that our usual groups got held up north because they didn’t need to keep flying to warm weather.

Come on up!! My house overlooks an abandoned gravel quarry that was flooded 20 years ago. We can sit on my back deck and shoot a limit any evening you want.

I figured this was as good of a thread as any to post this pic.  My cousin had some interesting guests in his warehouse last week.  Got his crews lined out.  Nice day, so he left the bay door open while he worked in the office.  Heard some noise, came out to find this trio milling around.  They spooked and ran the wrong direction and cornered  themselves in the shop bathroom.  It took him an hour to get them out.  

spacer.png

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Spaulding Smails said:

I figured this was as good of a thread as any to post this pic.  My cousin had some interesting guests in his warehouse last week.  Got his crews lined out.  Nice day, so he left the bay door open while he worked in the office.  Heard some noise, came out to find this trio milling around.  They spooked and ran the wrong direction and cornered  themselves in the shop bathroom.  It took him an hour to get them out.  

spacer.png

They start clacking those choppers together when they got agitated?

5 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

They start clacking those choppers together when they got agitated?

Yep.  He said the big one was extremely agitated and was raising a ruckus.  He said he tried to coax them out with a 10' piece of unistrut to no avail.  Thought about using his pistol, but he's in a commercial business park on a fairly busy street in the city limits.  So, he let 'em be until they left.  Though they did shit and piss everywhere.  He said the smell was awful.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Spaulding Smails said:

Yep.  He said the big one was extremely agitated and was raising a ruckus.  He said he tried to coax them out with a 10' piece of unistrut to no avail.  Thought about using his pistol, but he's in a commercial business park on a fairly busy street in the city limits.  So, he let 'em be until they left.  Though they did shit and piss everywhere.  He said the smell was awful.  

I went from seeing those fuckers at every sit last year, to not seeing a single one this year. Even the highways that are always  littered with them, nada. 

Just now, fattyflattie said:

I went from seeing those fuckers at every sit last year, to not seeing a single one this year. Even the highways that are always  littered with them, nada. 

You think it's related to the freeze?  Either that, or they're moving into town to be closer to the creature comforts like indoor plumbing.

• Like 1

Just now, Spaulding Smails said:

You think it's related to the freeze?  Either that, or they're moving into town to be closer to the creature comforts like indoor plumbing.

I don’t know, doubt it. Just a coincidence I’d guess.  Last year I had 13 hens that would come run my deer off every eve. This year, I had 10, ALL beards and the deer would chill with them.   They probably all just hanging out at your cousins shitter.   We’ve had 2 come off the ranch this year, iirc, on weekends I wasn’t there.  I like the peccaries, myself. 

52 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

I don’t know, doubt it. Just a coincidence I’d guess.  Last year I had 13 hens that would come run my deer off every eve. This year, I had 10, ALL beards and the deer would chill with them.   They probably all just hanging out at your cousins shitter.   We’ve had 2 come off the ranch this year, iirc, on weekends I wasn’t there.  I like the peccaries, myself. 

I was thinking it might be that with all the rain last year, they had plenty of natural graze and didn't need to move around as much? Is that possible in your area?

Just now, Izhmash said:

I was thinking it might be that with all the rain last year, they had plenty of natural graze and didn't need to move around as much? Is that possible in your area?

Oh yeah. Hell the deer have been grazing the field as they slowly make their way towards the feeders.  We didn’t freeze until what 2 weeks ago?   Yeah plenty of forage for everything this year.  I bet they’re around I just haven’t seen them yet.  Almost no one on our place hunts them so definitely not shot out or anything. 

So I’m finally gonna bite the bullet and get a NV scope for varmint and hog hunting.

My BiL already has a bering optics Hogster thermal so for me that means I just need to be able to better see what I’m shooting at.

Currently I use a combo of green lights on my feeder and a green light in my firearms.

Which of the Sightmark Wraith HD and ATN Xsight would be better money spent? I’m using my fantasy football winnings on it so I’ve gotta keep it around $500, other suggestions are welcome.

Kinda like that sightmark is a Texas company.

(Cross posting this in the gun owners thread for max views)

Atn. I sell both. Atn.

With deer season behind me, I want to think about some ways to improve my chances and in general just get some projects on the books for next year. 

I borrowed a popup blind from a buddy this year, but I think I want to "build" a simple platform style 2-man blind that will get me up off the ground and honestly just give me something fun to do.  I have access to all kinds of raw materials out at the farm, including enough cedar to build a bridge over the River Kwai 3 times over.  Ideally I could do a combo of cedar posts and some of the lumber my dad has stored out there.  Any tips/plans/ideas would be greatly appreciated.  I wouldnt call myself a Jesus level carpenter, but competent enough.

Food Plot - I have never done this before but think it would help increase deer activity and in general provide some benefit to the wildlife in the area.  I am completely ignorant to what to plant and when to plant it, but I have all the implements necessary to put in a decent sized plot in my designated hunting area.  For reference, this is Sandy Loam soil (Bastrop County) with a mix of pine/oak/cedar/yaupon trees surrounding the open area that I hunt.

Feeder - As a proud and cheap motherfucker, I strategically deployed hollowed out blackjack oak logs as my feeders this season.  They worked great and I saw lots of activity but obviously I would prefer a better solution that works well but wont break the bank.  I have seen the economical options online/at Academy but am interested to see what the peanut gallery thinks is a good choice.

TIA to all the hunters here with WAYYY more knowledge on this stuff than me.  I am trying to make this a bigger part of my recreational life (did it a lot more as a kid), and am hoping to gain some insight that will make it more enjoyable and successful for myself and my hunting buddies.  

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, hookemATL said:

With deer season behind me, I want to think about some ways to improve my chances and in general just get some projects on the books for next year. 

I borrowed a popup blind from a buddy this year, but I think I want to "build" a simple platform style 2-man blind that will get me up off the ground and honestly just give me something fun to do.  I have access to all kinds of raw materials out at the farm, including enough cedar to build a bridge over the River Kwai 3 times over.  Ideally I could do a combo of cedar posts and some of the lumber my dad has stored out there.  Any tips/plans/ideas would be greatly appreciated.  I wouldnt call myself a Jesus level carpenter, but competent enough.

Food Plot - I have never done this before but think it would help increase deer activity and in general provide some benefit to the wildlife in the area.  I am completely ignorant to what to plant and when to plant it, but I have all the implements necessary to put in a decent sized plot in my designated hunting area.  For reference, this is Sandy Loam soil (Bastrop County) with a mix of pine/oak/cedar/yaupon trees surrounding the open area that I hunt.

Feeder - As a proud and cheap motherfucker, I strategically deployed hollowed out blackjack oak logs as my feeders this season.  They worked great and I saw lots of activity but obviously I would prefer a better solution that works well but wont break the bank.  I have seen the economical options online/at Academy but am interested to see what the peanut gallery thinks is a good choice.

TIA to all the hunters here with WAYYY more knowledge on this stuff than me.  I am trying to make this a bigger part of my recreational life (did it a lot more as a kid), and am hoping to gain some insight that will make it more enjoyable and successful for myself and my hunting buddies.  

Wrt the blind and feeder.  I bought a blind that retails for 5k+ that had blown over, and rebuilt it (came out really nice). Paid pennies on dollar on Facebook marketplace.  It took me forever to get to it due to work travel so in the last 2 seasons, I’ve only got to sit in it a few times. I killed a bunch of stuff out of the pop up I used until I got this thing going. I think I’m still going to incorporate the pop up into other pastures etc. going forward. I actually enjoyed it, not more than the big fancy one, but nearly as much.  I had big bucks within 50’ of me for extended periods, and didn’t spook them. Still drank my beers.  What sucked the most is the cattle would trample it if I left it out for any time.  I would work on something more “permanent”, but also work your ground blind into the situation unless you just hated it. 

Feeder. Right now is the time to look for deals on Craigslist, market place, etc. People leaving leases and wanting to get rid of their stuff cheap if they don’t have a replacement place. If you are cheap as stated, get a barrel feeder. Modify it to make it a stand and fill over tripod if you can, and if not, just don’t ever stand under it. You should be able to put something together cheap to very cheap.   If you decide you want to spend some money, I’d suggest the heaviest built stand and fill you can find.  I like Texas wildlife supply, there are others that are similar. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

This is a big can of worms amigo, sounds like fun. As fattyflattie noted above, buying used is a great idea.

How much time do you want to dedicate to the blind? Do you want it to look aesthetically pleasing or doesn’t really matter? I always thought it would be cool to make cedar siding with a chainsaw “mill”, or have it milled, but blinds can be deceptively time consuming builds, especially if you’re having to generate the dimensional material vs. store bought. Here’s one:

19ef27079d1b6ea56ccb4500f712602d.jpg

Do you have equipment to move it?

Windows is a whole issue unto itself. I thought these guys made some nice units:

http:// https://www.deerviewwindows.com

As far as food plotting, have you had your soil tested? Also, you might have better luck will fall food plots vs. spring food plots (spring plots need more rain at the right times). What’s the ratio of plot space you’ve got to the rest of the place? Around 3-5% minimum isn’t a bad ratio to start with. Also, exclusion fencing to keep the animals off the seedlings can be a game changer if you have a potential arrangement for that. Is the plot situated where you’ll hunt over it or not?

Regarding feeders, I really like All Seasons feeders.
  • Hook 'Em 2

I just bought a 60cc saw that will pull a ripping chain on a 24" bar to do this.  First go will be putting up some walls on an outhouse then we will go from there on some deer blinds.

As for blind window, a buddy of mine did this.  He built a couple of hexagon shaped blinds that he covered with left over roofing tin.  For the window, he just made small window screen frames and used black plastic screen material.  With the shadows cast by the shades and the black screen you can't see in at all.  Only thing that matters is scent control. 

He put the blind right on his food plot and just shoots through the screen material to make a shot but then again he is shooting a recurve instinctively and doesn't shoot over about 15 yards.  

1175610499_jbjhexblind.thumb.jpg.32e16bc1a729b89ebc7d1a1c90a9899f.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, hookemATL said:

I can't comment on the food plot, and to others' points, if cost is a concern, buying one used is the way to go.

That being said, I've built several over the years.  Two of which were pretty cool, but pre iPhone, so I don't have any pics.  I built three on site and one in my driveway.  For the site built ones, I did some horse trading with a mason of mine, and got three used sections of scaffolding to make three blind bases.  Slapped some 2x12s on top with U-bolts.  My uncle is a drywall contractor, so we built it out of metal studs.  Bought some cheap sliding windows and clad them with plywood and slapped a corrugated metal roof on top.  Years later, I built one in the driveway out of PT lumber.  I used 12' 4x4s for the legs, so it sat about 6' off the ground.  Simple framing and a plywood roof.  Transportation was a bitch.  I had to lay it on it's side on a 16' trailer, then winch it up when I got to the lease.  It was HEAVY.

The only advice I have is think ahead if you're building it on site.  Nothing worse than coming up short on screws, etc.  I remember that exact issue on the scaffold blinds.  We were short self-tapping screws.  I had to drive an hour each way.  To this day, my uncle and I still kid about needing random shit at the ranch.  Every time I head to his place, I ask him if I need to bring a box of reverse thread metric screws or some other oddball item.

• Hook 'Em 1

My 2 cents - get you a nice 4x6 100% all fiberglass blind, will cost you $1500-$2000. Combine it with a little buddy heater & you have room for 2 people, can hunt rain or shine, when it’s butt ass cold keep the windows closed & turn on the heater. It cost you more upfront, but will last forever & is way more comfortable. For a feeder it’s hard to beat the $479 600 lbs Stand & Fill that Buccees sells, you can buy a better more expensive one, but it’s a great value.

For the food plot, do you have a tractor & all the implements ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks all for the thought, very helpful.

@686 - Soil has been tested by my pops awhile back so I have that information somewhere.  5% should not be a problem as a starter plot, and yeah I plan to hunt over the plot or damn close to it.

@Horns99 - Tractor implements are all on hand and nearby, should be a pretty easy job once I figure out the specifics.

As far as the blind goes, its really just a fun project that I feel like taking on.  Aesthetics dont matter, I just want something stable and functional.  I have a lot of extra lumber on hand, some corrugated metal, and some spare small window frames as well so I imagine this is going to be a sort of a frankenstein looking mofo but who cares really.  I just dont want it to fall over and kill me or my buddies (even if I have lots of room to bury bodies).  I think building it myself (onsite) will be challenging, fun, and ultimately let me spend more time outside doing things I like (which is the whole point anyway).

Noted on the feeders.  I will look into the Buccee's options.  I completely forgot they sell them there (even though I walk by them everytime I go in to take a shit in their glorious throne room).

So excite!  

Thanks all for the thought, very helpful.
[mention=2146]686[/mention] - Soil has been tested by my pops awhile back so I have that information somewhere.  5% should not be a problem as a starter plot, and yeah I plan to hunt over the plot or damn close to it.
[mention=2714]Horns99[/mention] - Tractor implements are all on hand and nearby, should be a pretty easy job once I figure out the specifics.
As far as the blind goes, its really just a fun project that I feel like taking on.  Aesthetics dont matter, I just want something stable and functional.  I have a lot of extra lumber on hand, some corrugated metal, and some spare small window frames as well so I imagine this is going to be a sort of a frankenstein looking mofo but who cares really.  I just dont want it to fall over and kill me or my buddies (even if I have lots of room to bury bodies).  I think building it myself (onsite) will be challenging, fun, and ultimately let me spend more time outside doing things I like (which is the whole point anyway).
Noted on the feeders.  I will look into the Buccee's options.  I completely forgot they sell them there (even though I walk by them everytime I go in to take a shit in their glorious throne room).
So excite!  

What heavy equipment does your pops have out there? Tractor? Disk? Drag? Roller/packer? Loader? Forks for loader? Seed/fertilizer spreader? Seed drill? Auger?

What is your closest feed&seed? Once you find the soil data, it will tell you if you need to adjust pH and how much N/P/K you need. Post the results if you need help interpreting them. If you need to pH adjust, I would do that this spring so your soil will better utilize the fertilizer in the fall. Assuming you need some N/P/K, the local feed&seed may have a good fit fertilizer in bulk that you can buy and tow out to your place and apply with their spreader (I’m assuming you have access to a 1/2 ton truck). Food plotting is mostly about soil prep.

Regarding cropping, I like Turner Seed Fall Deer Mix, your local place may have something different, but as a warning, lots of big seed companies back east sell stuff to stores here that just doesn’t do well because we don’t get enough rain west of about I-45 for the cultivars they use. Turner is in Breckinridge, TX. For a plot to hunt over, I would plant around October 1, and make sure you have winter wheat, cereal rye , one or more clovers, oats, etc. Here’s Turner’s blend:

b5615b8c36b72287c853177fe1c7b795.jpg

How many acres of food plot we talking about here?
  • Hook 'Em 1

Tractor / disk / box blade for sure plus the neighbor has some accessories we have borrowed in the past. 

in terms of acreage, I was think a relatively small 3-5 acre plot for this first go around to see where that gets me. 

I believe the closest feed and seed place that we have used in the past is in Giddings but I can’t recall the name atm  

thanks for all the info. Really interesting stuff. 

Edited by hookemATL
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, JCHIL said:

These white turkeys have been around our feeders for a few years but we haven’t been able to harvest one yet.  I think they would make a cool mount...  Anyone ever seen white ones like these? Albino’s? 

BFE0B812-5EA2-41C3-AB95-926549DAB6DC.jpeg

You have a domestic turkey in the woodpile.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 2

We have some domestic turkeys next door to my rural property down here in Fort Bend County. They are as annoying and loud as all hell. 

The property is very narrow and there is not enough room to really shoot anything unless you are very very careful of what is behind your target. Usually it is not a safe shot. 

For instance, I'd really like to shoot those fucking turkeys but the neighbors' house is right behind their pen. So they live on. 

• Like 1

We had a large turkey farm to the northwest of Granny’s in Milam county for years. They shut down about 5 years ago but holy shit when the wind picked up it was terrible to be within a half mile. Then after harvest was over they’d throw all the dead ones out in a pile and the coyotes would come straight across the back pasture in droves of 8-10 at a time. I went 5 for 7 one time in high school with my dads AR, and one of those 5 wasn’t even the one I was aiming for. Noticed a serious increase in the rabbit population and a decrease in dead calves once that nasty turkey operation shut down.

I've seen this big guy standing next to the highway the past two nights as I've come home from locking up my chickens. Lots of pecans and acorns in that bar ditch. Very large  rack. 

I need to set up a feeder next to my new pond and see what comes along. I'm curious what might show up now. 

IMG_7928.thumb.jpg.6ac820fe480df91aeafe8dd8444b9d81.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2

In a weak moment, this 58 year old geezer accepted an invitation to fill the 4th spot on a September elk / mulie hunt in Idaho.  

The other 3 guys have never been on a hunt like this and asked me to go.  They have no clue what awaits them.

Base camp, horses in and out, lots of riding and walking in the Bitterroot mountains.  

A week or so ago, I  posted pics of the glory days when I was the young guy with the old codgers.  Now I’m the old guy with the young bucks.  

Gonna have to get back into mountain shape.  Somebody hold my cigarette while I put the beer on the bottom shelf of the fridge to get my low back exercise in. 

Time is a flat circle or something like that.  

This is going to be great. Good of them to invite with plenty of time to prep. Lots to look forward to - going to be a memorable year for you!

P.S. Swap those opera glasses for some modern binos. : )

3 hours ago, 686 said:

This is going to be great. Good of them to invite with plenty of time to prep. Lots to look forward to - going to be a memorable year for you!

P.S. Swap those opera glasses for some modern binos. : )

Ha. Right.  Those nocs are long gone since 1989.   

• Like 1

CHIEF Jr. and his buddies shot two 3 man limits this weekend at the lease:

3man-limit.jpg

One spot they found this afternoon, he estimated had 700 birds on it. We are supposed to take 10 men out for the spots they found this next weekend to shoot two days worth of ten man limits. Both of his buddies guide duck hunts, and neither has  been part of a ten man limit. One of them shot a pintail that is mount worthy to bring home.

CHIEF

Edited by CHIEF
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Welp, I always knew there were hogs down here. Last night I threw out a bag of corn and set up a camera next to an opening under the fence and got some proof. Some big fuckers and they stayed over an hour eating up all the corn. That looks like a pretty big sow there on the left. 

Next step is to go to Buccees and buy one of those feeders and set it up with some smelly bait (strawberry koolaid?) and attract them to a safer place to shoot. This spot is too close to the highway and right up on the neighbor's fence. 

image.jpeg.c652879626f62a03c2d55ebcf765ce50.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Welp, I always knew there were hogs down here. Last night I threw out a bag of corn and set up a camera next to an opening under the fence and got some proof. Some big fuckers and they stayed over an hour eating up all the corn. That looks like a pretty big sow there on the left. 
Next step is to go to Buccees and buy one of those feeders and set it up with some smelly bait (strawberry koolaid?) and attract them to a safer place to shoot. This spot is too close to the highway and right up on the neighbor's fence. 

I do corn, Hawaiian Punch a can of beer in a sealed bucket. Leave it out in the sun for a week or more to sour.

Dig a hole or 2. Fill and bury. Spread some around the top.
  • Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, CHIEF said:

CHIEF Jr. and his buddies shot two 3 man limits this weekend at the lease:

3man-limit.jpg

One spot they found this afternoon, he estimated had 700 birds on it. We are supposed to take 10 men out for the spots they found this next weekend to shoot two days worth of ten man limits. Both of his buddies guide duck hunts, and neither has  been part of a ten man limit. One of them shot a pintail that is mount worthy to bring home.

CHIEF

Happiest dog on the planet right there!

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

Next step is to go to Buccees and buy one of those feeders and set it up with some smelly bait (strawberry koolaid?) and attract them to a safer place to shoot. 

Don't bother adding anything to the corn or brewing up some kind of corn mash.  Plain ole corn will attract them just the same.  And don't put any koolaid or any other attractants in your basic spinner feeder or it will gum that bitch up.   Your next step is to invest in a thermal optic and join us in the Night Vision Fanatics Thread.  Happy hunting.

Go to the hunting section in Bucee’s and get a bag of Texas Hog Bait Sawaiian Crush. One bag of bait treats 300 pounds of corn. Thank me later