2021-2022 hunting thread

markstanco

3 hours ago, CHIEF said:

CHIEF Jr. got his goat back from the taxidermist, talk about lightening your wallet:

Jeffrey-Goatmount.png

Woody, the Weiner, wants him hung low so he can sniff him a couple of hours each day.

CHIEF

How many inches that go?   Friend leases 110k acres for their company lease, chock fill of those things.  Need to work harder on an invite. 

2 hours ago, CHIEF said:

Not sure what he scores. The taxidermist said he would go Gold Metal record book as a low fence, fair chase ram. I need to read up on how to score him.

CHIEF 

Typically when they are touching up front, you’ve surpassed 30”, which is kind of the “trophy” line. 32-33” is big.  Not sure I’ve read on many more than that, but I’m sure it is.  I want to get one pretty bad.  That and a speedgoat.  That’s a nice mount. I fear I’d of have to have had that one pre-marriage. 

• Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Typically when they are touching up front, you’ve surpassed 30”, which is kind of the “trophy” line. 32-33” is big.  Not sure I’ve read on many more than that, but I’m sure it is.  I want to get one pretty bad.  That and a speedgoat.  That’s a nice mount. I fear I’d of have to have had that one pre-marriage. 

Yep, CHIEF Jr. is going with all of our taxidermy in his house, when he builds it in a few years. Too much money tied up in it to have it ruined by a woman. One of the few questions I forgot to ask Mrs. CHIEF.

We are putting the goat on the wall. I asked her if it was OK, she said, "what does it matter?" At least she knows.

CHIEF

This guy came by to say “hi.”8319AEA6-EA44-4B60-9649-1721DDF9774C.thumb.jpeg.f2d508e840ad0e54497cb89d6bc15d7f.jpeg
I said “hi” back.
C1BC01CB-1677-4E02-9E24-0BE71FB97B96.thumb.jpeg.39cc120817500103bab04a56cab6fdbe.jpeg

Quite a jungle there. We’ve only had 8” of rain since thanksgiving at our place. I wouldn’t of had the patience to wait for the pig and would have shot the trash pandas on sight.
  • Hook 'Em 2

Did some shooting this weekend; I’m rusty and going to need to get more time in before my elk hunt. Got both the kids shooting a 300blk that I cut the stock down on. Oldest hit the steel from ~270yds with subsonics using an estimated holdover as I forgot my rangefinder. She was stoked. Right handed but left eye dominant and shoots left handed.

608d5b84d41deadca317876a32761730.jpg

1e12619edc10f467435bc34fd22e8aac.jpg

Watching your kids shoot a 22 off the porch is pretty great.

160855f6c7e87f66f712d919e1104d73.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, 686 said:

Did some shooting this weekend; I’m rusty and going to need to get more time in before my elk hunt. Got both the kids shooting a 300blk that I cut the stock down on. Oldest hit the steel from ~270yds with subsonics using an estimated holdover as I forgot my rangefinder. She was stoked. Right handed but left eye dominant and shoots left handed.

608d5b84d41deadca317876a32761730.jpg

1e12619edc10f467435bc34fd22e8aac.jpg

Watching your kids shoot a 22 off the porch is pretty great.

160855f6c7e87f66f712d919e1104d73.jpg

270 yds with subsonics is...very impressive.  Can you show any more detail on how you cut that stock down.  Thats the same rifle I have my oldest on, and she's not quite grown into it.  

• Hook 'Em 1

270 yds with subsonics is...very impressive.  Can you show any more detail on how you cut that stock down.  Thats the same rifle I have my oldest on, and she's not quite grown into it.  

Oh there was some luck involved, but she had her first experience with observing a splash and altering your point of aim, etc which was great.

Regarding cutting the stock:

Remove stock from rifle.

I have a vice on my workbench and got the stock level in the vice.

If I recall, the recoil pad was glued on, not screwed on, so I cut the recoil pad off first to see what the inside of the stock looked like, it’s hollow with a couple of holes for screws for a screw-on recoil pad, no surprises.

Then I measured to where I wanted the length of pull to be and marked it plumb. (about 11.5”, which is what the pink .22 Rascal is). There is a way to measure length of pull that might be a good idea for you to do to get it as close as possible to correct for your kiddo.

I used a circular saw to make the cuts, didn’t come out perfect, but ok. I then stuffed some old memory foam in the hollow of the stock and used a piece of a new foam shoe insole to make a recoil pad fitting the end of the stock.

I used some black shelf lining vinyl type material to cover the foam and then fastened with electrical tape.

Also used the insole foam to make a little cheek riser/cushion that is under the elastic shell holder which kinda hides everything.

Not perfect but functional, and I’ll either buy a magpul stock for this rifle in a few years , or I’ll upgrade to a carbon Christiensen.

7d821bc82278f7530f0db4b39a0525ab.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 2

Also a shout out to the bogpod death grip as a tool for teaching young shooters. Clamp the gun in tight and let them focus on cheek weld, point of aim, and trigger discipline. The best part is they can’t wave the muzzle around everywhere when they’re excited or need to reload.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, 686 said:

I used a circular saw to make the cuts, didn’t come out perfect, but ok. I then stuffed some old memory foam in the hollow of the stock and used a piece of a new foam shoe insole to make a recoil pad fitting the end of the stock.

I used some black shelf lining vinyl type material to cover the foam and then fastened with electrical tape.

Also used the insole foam to make a little cheek riser/cushion that is under the elastic shell holder which kinda hides everything.

Oh my. Not sure I could handle that. I mean, the technical stuff, yeah.  I have a feeling I’d be staring at it for an hour before convincing myself to make the cut.  I thought you took off an inch or two and put on a new pad. But I get sick at any little safe mark, too.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Oh my. Not sure I could handle that. I mean, the technical stuff, yeah.  I have a feeling I’d be staring at it for an hour before convincing myself to make the cut.  I thought you took off an inch or two and put on a new pad. But I get sick at any little safe mark, too.

I'm with you.  I've had a gunsmith add a larger or smaller pad.  Cutting into the stock is beyond my pay grade.

• Hook 'Em 1

If you mark the line, but don't cut down to it you can use files and then sanding blocks to get down to it and make it look nice. The harder part at that point is fitting a recoil pad on it and making it look nice. The actual cutting of the stock should be easy. Just go slow, make sure to keep everything square, and take care not to round off any of the corners.

• Hook 'Em 1

My brother got these two little ones on Monday. The porch on the house is only about 150 yards from the feeder so he sat there watching them with his 243 waiting to get lined up just right, then he knocked down both DRT with one shot. The entry wound was small on the first one and the exit wound on the second one was a blast crater through the ribs with guts and innards spilling out. Pretty cool. 

There was a third piglet there too who just kept running in circles until he saw us driving up in the Mule, then he took the hint and ran off into the brush. Ha ha

image.jpeg.006144415a0e4b1bcd539285b58800c5.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

I’m certain I could handle the task. I just don’t like cutting on guns. 

Same.  give me the jeebies thinking about it.  100% I'd screw something up.  Luckily, with an adjustable stock, my evil little AR's are the kids favorite options.  77gr Black Hills will ruin a small deer's evening, that's for sure.  

*PWS MK116

PWS MK116.PNG

Edited by BabaYaga

I’m certain I could handle the task. I just don’t like cutting on guns. 

Oh it was a little stressful, but I don’t really like the Ruger American stocks and since I know a replacement magpul or Boyd’s will be a nice upgrade; it made plunging that saw into the stock easier to manage.

17 minutes ago, 686 said:

Oh it was a little stressful, but I don’t really like the Ruger American stocks and since I know a replacement magpul or Boyd’s will be a nice upgrade; it made plunging that saw into the stock easier to manage.

That's what I'm thinking.  *I haven't been really impressed with that stock.

*Outside of AR's, it is the first synthetic stock I've ever owned.  

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

That's what I'm thinking.  *I haven't been really impressed with that stock.

*Outside of AR's, it is the first synthetic stock I've ever owned.  

They're a little flimsy.  Getting a cheek weld or something to raise the eye relief is what I've done for most of my rifles.  Helps a ton.

36 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

They're a little flimsy.  Getting a cheek weld or something to raise the eye relief is what I've done for most of my rifles.  Helps a ton.

So I like that little gun.  BUT it has been by far the "cheapest" rifle I've put in the safe in 2 decades probably.  And you can definitely tell the difference between it and well, pretty much everything else I have.  But it's been a little shooter for me, and exactly what the dr ordered for my oldest to graduate to the next level from her rimfires.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

About three years ago, I took my son out for a shotgun lesson with an instructor who shoots professionally.  After about a half dozen shots, he said, "Hey kid.  I'm going to show you something.  It's going to suck for about a year, but it'll be worth it in the long run."  He's a lefty and was shooting lefty, and I guess I never checked for eye dominance with him.  The instructor switched him to shooting right-handed.  He struggled that day, but came back for a few more lessons and improved tremendously.  He now shoots rifle, pistol and shotgun right-handed.  Shoots all of them pretty damn well.  Totally worth it.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Also a shout out to the bogpod death grip as a tool for teaching young shooters. Clamp the gun in tight and let them focus on cheek weld, point of aim, and trigger discipline. The best part is they can’t wave the muzzle around everywhere when they’re excited or need to reload.

fc920cc9e147f98669fa82bf2db5d572.jpg
Yeah. These deathgrip bog pods are great for kids. Keeps the calm lining up on live animals too
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Spaulding Smails said:

About three years ago, I took my son out for a shotgun lesson with an instructor who shoots professionally.  After about a half dozen shots, he said, "Hey kid.  I'm going to show you something.  It's going to suck for about a year, but it'll be worth it in the long run."  He's a lefty and was shooting lefty, and I guess I never checked for eye dominance with him.  The instructor switched him to shooting right-handed.  He struggled that day, but came back for a few more lessons and improved tremendously.  He now shoots rifle, pistol and shotgun right-handed.  Shoots all of them pretty damn well.  Totally worth it.  

I'm a big advocate of shooting with whichever side your dominant eye is on. I'm admittedly biased, being a lefty staring at the plethora of guns that can only be reasonably found in right hand models, but there is a good bit of history to overcome as well. We've all heard stories about nuns slapping left hands away with rulers, but that really doesn't come in to play as much with firearms. 

It's the firing in formation with black powder bit that really mandated almost all firearms be right handed. And here we are two hundred years later in a supposedly much more progressive society, but it is still hard to find a gun built for a lefty.

Yeah. These deathgrip bog pods are great for kids. Keeps the calm lining up on live animals too

Tripods are good for everyone!

We all run them except for my fancy BiL who has a Kopfjager something or other.

The rest of us run Bog deathgrips because we aren’t rich but get LEO and vet discounts…
4f583f00bf7aa6156435bc233d09ee2c.jpg

6 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

I'm a big advocate of shooting with whichever side your dominant eye is on. I'm admittedly biased, being a lefty staring at the plethora of guns that can only be reasonably found in right hand models, but there is a good bit of history to overcome as well. We've all heard stories about nuns slapping left hands away with rulers, but that really doesn't come in to play as much with firearms. 

It's the firing in formation with black powder bit that really mandated almost all firearms be right handed. And here we are two hundred years later in a supposedly much more progressive society, but it is still hard to find a gun built for a lefty.

Exactly this.  I've always heard that lefties are 10% of the population.  I'm guessing left-handed firearms are significantly less than 10% of the market.  I had hell trying to find my LH bolt-action 300 Win Mag earlier this year.  Took a buddy stumbling on it in Houston before I found one.  

These BOG death grips, the inner side of that grip soft enough to not damage wood stock, I assume? 

Unfortunately I cannot answer that. I do not have a wood stock rifle any more and actually none of my group of shooters do.

I will say that both the kopfjager grip tripod and the bog death grip don’t need to be tightened all that tight for the ruger American/predator bolt actions, nor the 10.5” blackout pistol and even the 18” & 20” ar10s don’t get tightens too much.

My Galil and my 12” ar10 pistol need to be locked down pretty tight because the aren’t weighted all that even so they start to shift if not locked down really tight.

f4c8308056bc2ccc606bf57fb26bcb32.jpg

5c087fcfdaf545b5fe81a7be69706655.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 1

Did you upgrade the bolt shroud on that Tikka? Mine is broken and i need to get a replacement at some point

These BOG death grips, the inner side of that grip soft enough to not damage wood stock, I assume? 

The inside is some kind of stiff rubber, shouldn’t leave a mark on wood unless you really, really crank it down, which you won’t need to do, as you can put the tripod cradle right at the center of gravity of the rifle. It’s a very stable platform, but the downside is it is big and weighs ~8lbs.

3 minutes ago, 686 said:

The inside is some kind of stiff rubber, shouldn’t leave a mark on wood unless you really, really crank it down, which you won’t need to do, as you can put the tripod cradle right at the center of gravity of the rifle. It’s a very stable platform, but the downside is it is big and weighs ~8lbs.

Carbon one?