2021-2022 hunting thread

markstanco

On 1/11/2022 at 12:48 AM, 686 said:

Nice man! glad you made it and glad you were able to find a good outfitter! Love it when a plan comes together. So your buddy is going on the elk hunt with you? Awesome if so; hunting with good friends is the best.

Let’s talk logistics on your hunt:
what elevation is the ranch at?
What month is the hunt?
Rain gear needed?
Range of shots to be prepared for?
You driving up and hauling the meat/trophy(s) back? If so, what’s your cooler setup look like?
What bullet you shooting in your 300?

Thanks!  I’m ridiculously excited.  My friend is going to hunt, too, and we are going to do 1 guide 2 hunters.  He’s adamant that I take the first shot / bull-of-choice.  Agree that hunting (and fishing) with good friends reigns supreme.  This is a hunt of a lifetime that needs to be shared.  

It’s going to be a long journey to figure everything out, but this is what I’ve been able to put together in the last few days:

• Elevation: entrance is ~6500 feet, ridges up to ~9000 feet
  • Month(s): last few days of August / first few days of September; chose this timeframe based on hunt availability and first choice on bulls; should be bugling
  • Rain Gear: I have basic (read: cheap) rain gear and a nice waterfowling jacket.  Not sure what might be needed for mountains.
  • Shot Range: 150-250 yards.  Wooded areas plus open valleys.  I plan to prepare for up to 300.
  • Transportation: as of now, we’re leaning towards driving.  The hunt dates are bookended by weekends, and the drive DFW-UT would be beautiful.  I have a super crew F-150 with a bed cover that can accept t-bars and cargo baskets, so plenty of room for gear and coolers.
  • Coolers: we have 370 quarts now.  I’ll ask the owner what we’ll need to bring meat back, or ship.
  • Trophy:  TBD.  Ranch can handle it, but I could bring mine back as I’m thinking euro mount.  My buddy is thinking shoulder mount, so we might be running out of room at that point.
  • Bullet:  TBD but looking at Barnes 180 TDX, Barnes 175 LRX, Nosler 200 AccuBond, Hornady 180 GMX, Hornady 200 ELD-X
  • My buddy doesn’t have a rifle for this hunt, so he’s been looking into it and is leaning towards 7mm and Leupold 14x glass, but he’s really only 4 days into making the decision to take an elk on this expedition, so lots of research ahead for him.

Any and all advice/input from anyone greatly appreciated.  I’ll chronicle the journey in this thread; I’m sure to learn things that might help others.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Tell me about that butcher knife scabbard. Got a brand or manufacturer name?

I got it off Amazon; the exact one isn’t available there right now but there are similar things available; see below. I don’t like putting a bloody knife back in its leather scabbard or on the ground/random surface when I’m butchering.

41902b80cab2e0311ad7ac6c5219cb35.jpg

http:// https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06ZXQMSMJ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_4B18M577WF27Z5GDCRKE?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

8355e046837d42b43bf0060811f274ca.jpg

8 hours ago, solamente73 said:

Thanks!  I’m ridiculously excited.  My friend is going to hunt, too, and we are going to do 1 guide 2 hunters.  He’s adamant that I take the first shot / bull-of-choice.  Agree that hunting (and fishing) with good friends reigns supreme.  This is a hunt of a lifetime that needs to be shared.  

It’s going to be a long journey to figure everything out, but this is what I’ve been able to put together in the last few days:

• Month(s): last few days of August / first few days of September; chose this timeframe based on hunt availability and first choice on bulls; should be bugling
  • Rain Gear: I have basic (read: cheap) rain gear and a nice waterfowling jacket.  Not sure what might be needed for mountains.
  • Shot Range: 150-250 yards.  Wooded areas plus open valleys.  I plan to prepare for up to 300.
  • Transportation: as of now, we’re leaning towards driving.  The hunt dates are bookended by weekends, and the drive DFW-UT would be beautiful.  I have a super crew F-150 with a bed cover that can accept t-bars and cargo baskets, so plenty of room for gear and coolers.
  • Coolers: we have 370 quarts now.  I’ll ask the owner what we’ll need to bring meat back, or ship.
  • Trophy:  TBD.  Ranch can handle it, but I could bring mine back as I’m thinking euro mount.  My buddy is thinking shoulder mount, so we might be running out of room at that point.
  • Bullet:  TBD but looking at Barnes 180 TDX, Barnes 175 LRX, Nosler 200 AccuBond, Hornady 180 GMX, Hornady 200 ELD-X
  • My buddy doesn’t have a rifle for this hunt, so he’s been looking into it and is leaning towards 7mm and Leupold 14x glass, but he’s really only 4 days into making the decision to take an elk on this expedition, so lots of research ahead for him.

Any and all advice/input from anyone greatly appreciated.  I’ll chronicle the journey in this thread; I’m sure to learn things that might help others.

I'd get most of your prep advice from the outfitter.  They know the area best and can help with needed items, etc.  

For rain gear in the mountains, weight is everything.  I wear a lightweight shell so I can add or shed layers quickly.  Talk to them about the location and time of year and get their take on things.

As for shots - this is not shooting at a gun range with a steady heart rate from a rest.  Your fitness levels in the mountains are critical.  You start going up and down hillsides and your heart's beating out of your chest and you can't catch your breath, you're going to struggle.  

And no cotton.  No cotton socks.  No cotton shirts.  No cotton base layers

Good luck and remember to tip your guide handsomely   

• Like 2

On 1/11/2022 at 9:17 PM, 686 said:

Elk meat >> axis meat in my experience; admittedly based on a small sample size. The axis I shot a few years back was a rutted up buck in a late dry summer in that area, which doesn’t help meat quality, I’m sure the does are better. I wet aged, lightly brined, stuffed, bacon wrapped/trussed and baked/lightly smoked the backstraps from this buck and although it all got eaten, I was honestly a little let down with how it turned out, probably just had my expectations too high. Also, I’m changing my venison cooking methods to really high heat for short durations, which gives a better result for my palate.

Elk is great.  Axis is pretty amazing as well, so it might have been an isolated thing?  Nilgai is another that is worthy of the conversation.  

I revere sear most.  A Sous vide machine can help, or just eyeball is with the oven/grill.  Get it warm and then flash-sear it with a cast iron skillet and butter/tallow.  

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

As for shots - this is not shooting at a gun range with a steady heart rate from a rest.  Your fitness levels in the mountains are critical.  You start going up and down hillsides and your heart's beating out of your chest and you can't catch your breath, you're going to struggle.  

If you have spotted an elk that you want to shoot and you have to traverse up a hill or to a drainage edge to get a shot and you know elk is over the other side, always stop just prior to getting to top of the away-side of  the ridge and rest a bit to get our heart rate down and your shit together.  Most likely the wind won't be  a  problem since thermals typically blow up hill so you won't get scented.

Creep to the top slowly so you maintain a low heart rate and easy breathing.  Huffing and puffing with a rapid heart rate will not yield good results.

Be extra stealthy around the lead cow that shows up first. If she spots you she will turn the whole herd.  

Your guide should know all these things.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, solamente73 said:

This is great info.  I'll be following along.  I received confirmation last week for an October elk hunt (rifle) in Northern New Mexico.  It'll be my first elk hunt, and I have some SERIOUS preparation and gear purchases / upgrades on the horizon.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I'd get most of your prep advice from the outfitter.  They know the area best and can help with needed items, etc.  
For rain gear in the mountains, weight is everything.  I wear a lightweight shell so I can add or shed layers quickly.  Talk to them about the location and time of year and get their take on things.
And no cotton.  No cotton socks.  No cotton shirts.  No cotton base layers
Good luck and remember to tip your guide handsomely   

I agree with all this. When I’m prepping for a hunt; I’ll do something physical to get my heart rate up when I’m doing some practice shooting. You can even do it at the house with an empty rifle just doing dry firing. Go jog/fast walk around the block a few times and then get on your rifle in different positions and see if you can: acquire target in scope/ breathe/hold the reticle on target/squeeze trigger without the reticle bouncing around; and see how long this takes, see if you can reduce the time. Lots of quick shot opportunities don’t get converted or result in bad shots because guys can’t do this process quickly enough.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• I would definitely plan on driving. Compared to flying, it will be a relaxed, bring all your shit and be comfortable, shooting the shit with your buddy on the road and seeing the country type of experience vs. commercial flying, which is never really relaxing and you’ll be sweating luggage size/weight/gun rules and god forbid they lose something, then your out a day of the hunt.

150 quarts of cooler capacity is probably about the minimum I’d plan on having for a deboned bull, and it would be nice to have a soft side bag cooler for the skull to ride in. Cape will need to be in trash bag in a cooler as well, maybe figure 60quarts of volume there.

I would plan on driving back with the trophies and the meat, you should be able to make it fit; figure most of your bags/gear in the back seat.

Driving back from a hunt with antlers sticking out of the bed of your truck and coolers full of meat is like smoking a cigar for the entire return trip. Looking in the rear view at that stuff never gets old. Especially with the kind of antlers you guys will probably have in the bed. Veni, vidi, vici.

962a81b3682596718633fe6d4efc8440.jpg
    • Hook 'Em 5
    • Like 1

Damn I’m excited for you. Lots of great info here, as mentioned, no cotton…..cotton kills.

Boots are critical. Make sure you have good boots and make sure they are broke in well before the hunt. IMO, boots and rifle are the two most important pieces of gear you will need.

• Hook 'Em 1
    • Like 1

This is great info.  I'll be following along.  I received confirmation last week for an October elk hunt (rifle) in Northern New Mexico.  It'll be my first elk hunt, and I have some SERIOUS preparation and gear purchases / upgrades on the horizon.  

Please allow us to live vicariously through your gratuitous hobby spending.

1 hour ago, 686 said:

I would definitely plan on driving. Compared to flying, it will be a relaxed, bring all your shit and be comfortable, shooting the shit with your buddy on the road and seeing the country type of experience vs. commercial flying, which is never really relaxing and you’ll be sweating luggage size/weight/gun rules and god forbid they lose something, then your out a day of the hunt.

150 quarts of cooler capacity is probably about the minimum I’d plan on having for a deboned bull, and it would be nice to have a soft side bag cooler for the skull to ride in. Cape will need to be in trash bag in a cooler as well, maybe figure 60quarts of volume there.

I would plan on driving back with the trophies and the meat, you should be able to make it fit; figure most of your bags/gear in the back seat.

Driving back from a hunt with antlers sticking out of the bed of your truck and coolers full of meat is like smoking a cigar for the entire return trip. Looking in the rear view at that stuff never gets old. Especially with the kind of antlers you guys will probably have in the bed. Veni, vidi, vici.

The drive to and fro is the Duke.  The banter and BS is what makes the memories.   

• Hook 'Em 3
    • Like 1

4 hours ago, RMac5 said:

Damn I’m excited for you. Lots of great info here, as mentioned, no cotton…..cotton kills.

Boots are critical. Make sure you have good boots and make sure they are broke in well before the hunt. IMO, boots and rifle are the two most important pieces of gear you will need.

Not just boots, but good wool hiking socks as well. Wool socks can be worn for a couple days or more without feeling grimy. If your feet hurt from soaking through poor socks you will feel miserable.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Not just boots, but good wool hiking socks as well. Wool socks can be worn for a couple days or more without feeling grimy. If your feet hurt from soaking through poor socks you will feel miserable.

Especially if you first put on the thin silk or faux silk liner socks.  Keeps your footsies nice and dry and reduces friction to prevent blistering. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Of the bullets you listed, the 200 grain Accubond would be my choice.  It will expand and will penetrate at 300 velocities.

Just my personal opinion, but I'm not a fan of the 180 grain Barnes TTSX or Hornady GMX.  These all copper bullets are longer than conventional lead/copper.  They take up more case room, create a larger bearing surface for the rifling, operate at higher pressures and don't always expand.  The lack of expansion is due to lower speeds.  The all copper bullets need to be driven fast to work efficiently.  Drop down to 150 grains, and it is a different story.  Can drive a 300 at 3250-3350 fps and it will expand and it will exit an elk.  For example, I cull a lot of cows and whitetail deer.  I use the Barnes 110 grain TTSX at 3500 fps.  One shot kills every time.  

180 grain conventional bullets at normal velocities also work great on elk.  Sierra Pro Hunter is a favorite.  Core-Lokts and Federal soft points have killed a lot of elk.  The Swift Scirocco and A-frame are very highly thought of in the elk size hunting community.  I have used those extensively in Africa on hippo, buffalo, giraffe, eland, kudu, Wildes and zebras.  

Actual case stories from recent hunts:  Hunter using 300 Win w/ 180 grain Barnes TTSX.  Mature bull shot at 150 yards.  Looking thru the glass, I see the bullet impact behind the shoulder.  Elk does not flinch and continues walking down hill to a cedar choked ravine.  Walk to shot location and no blood but did find a few hair strands.  Follow general trail direction, no blood.  Walk around 30 minutes and nothing.  Take hunter back to the lodge to eat breakfast and I go back to look again.  Find the elk 400 yards down the draw.   .308 entrance hole and .308 exit hole.  Hide slipped over the holes and no blood.  Dead elk but too much drama for me.  My next hunter did not have a rifle so I let him use mine.   30/06 loaded with 180 grain Pro Hunters at 2850 fps.  75 yard shot off sticks.  Just behind the shoulder.  Elk shutters and stumbles 10 yards down the trail.  There is a blood trail that looks like was done with a water hose.  

For those TLDR:  I like Barnes only when driven fast, otherwise, any conventional soft point works great on elk.

• Hook 'Em 2
    • Like 2

2 hours ago, deadshank said:

I miss them. 

I’m right there with you.  Going back to my original post on my elk hunt mission, I’m doing this to follow in the footsteps of my dad and his best friends, who passed last year.  The photo below shows my dad (right) and Sonny (left) at their deer camp c.1979.  The guy taking the picture was the third.  Every step of this journey brings up a great memory.

7E464A06-2A3D-45CB-8E40-E0F8F7916EA6.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 4
    • Like 4

27 minutes ago, solamente73 said:

I’m right there with you.  Going back to my original post on my elk hunt mission, I’m doing this to follow in the footsteps of my dad and his best friends, who passed last year.  The photo below shows my dad (right) and Sonny (left) at their deer camp c.1979.  The guy taking the picture was the third.  Every step of this journey brings up a great memory.

7E464A06-2A3D-45CB-8E40-E0F8F7916EA6.jpeg

Camp throne and all important TP:  check!

Indestructible green, metal Coleman cooler:  check!

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Gladeite said:

For those TLDR:  I like Barnes only when driven fast, otherwise, any conventional soft point works great on elk.

100%.  Those solid copper pills can be tricky.  I'd say on really thick-skinner Safari game they make sense, but in the States there are so many better options.

Had the same experience with a rookie hunter at a friends place.  Using those solid copper rounds on whitetail (.243, I think?)  Anyway, zipped right through the deer like an FMJ.  No blood trail.  Never found it.  All about shot placement.

16 hours ago, 686 said:

I would definitely plan on driving. Compared to flying, it will be a relaxed, bring all your shit and be comfortable, shooting the shit with your buddy on the road and seeing the country type of experience vs. commercial flying, which is never really relaxing and you’ll be sweating luggage size/weight/gun rules and god forbid they lose something, then your out a day of the hunt.

And when you stop to get gas, food, piss, etc.  Someone stand guard on your stuff.  Had some fuck waffle steal a rack I was going to euro mount and cooler full of meat out of the back of my truck years back driving back from the ranch.  This was maybe a decade ago and it still gets me spun up.  I just went in to use the bathroom at a DQ.

• Like 1
    • Rage+1 3

686, Whats the story with those monster deer antlers in the bed??

8 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

And when you stop to get gas, food, piss, etc.  Someone stand guard on your stuff.  Had some fuck waffle steal a rack I was going to euro mount and cooler full of meat out of the back of my truck years back driving back from the ranch.  This was maybe a decade ago and it still gets me spun up.  I just went in to use the bathroom at a DQ.

jake.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
    • Like 2
    • Haha 1

13 hours ago, deadshank said:

All this elk hunting trip talk is getting me misty while reminiscing about the old guys that originally asked me to join them on their annual trip that they started in the early 60s.  

They’re all gone now except for one and he’s just a 84 year old man moving back to South Africa to round out his life with his daughter (leaving in February).

This picture is from 1989 in Colorado. The old guys had nicknames for each other from old westerns.  L to R: Dillon, Butch, Rowdy, Sundance.  The old birds were quite the characters.  

I miss them. 

675C73AF-1602-4742-BDA2-F2015F306DE4.jpeg

They killed/hunted without $1200 worth of camo?

686, Whats the story with those monster deer antlers in the bed??

I was a guest at a high fence place in Kansas this fall and connected with that buck.

They manage everything at that ranch, most impressive to me was the fields and fields of clover coming up through the summer wheat stubble. Beautiful meandering meadows between deciduous treed hills and valleys. They don’t feed much protein, just great soil, great habitat, food plots and native browse management; along with genetic management second to none.

I don’t deserve or desire any credit as a high-skill hunter for this kill (there were tons of bucks on a small high fence place, easy pickens, I’ve shot lots of whitetails, so not a challenge for me where I’m at in my journey as a hunter), nothing like the effort it takes to find and harvest a big trophy on public or low fence hunts. That said, I enjoy hunting high fence ranches (especially as a guest ; ) ), they have their place and I think are a great way to make hunting and game meat available and attainable to more people.

He was a great buck, and we will enjoy the meat all year, and he’ll be a great conversation piece in my office.

267lbs live weight, 238”. Also, the best tasting whitetail I’ve ever had.

815dcc68040318ad4666254d53bcbe6f.jpg

e3cb717769a423f9960c3f281a334467.jpg
    • Hook 'Em 6
    • Like 1

Crazy evening hunt. Had a yearling come in a little before 5. Around 5:20 a doe comes walking in. Glassed it real good because lots of nubbin bucks around. Slick head, not dark on the hind legs. Kind of scrawny and two tone color.
    Told my girl to take it. Good shot, walks off 20 yards and piles up. Gather our stuff up and text our ride back to base camp.
    Walk up and the damn thing has balls. WTH??? Check it's head and two bumps but not covered by skin. Freaking thing had shed both it's antlers. He was malnourished, fur was two colors because it had already started changing.
    Biologist checked it's teeth back at camp and said it was a 2.5 year old. Testicles were small, no dark markings on hind legs, skin was thin and could see backbone.
    Questioned about it possibly being sick but when processing the meat was a good color and nothing odd about it.
    They are testing for CWD and other things on all the deer harvested so when I get results (about 4 weeks) I'll know for sure if anything is wrong.
    Back at it in the morning to see if she can go 3 for 3.

Crazy evening hunt. Had a yearling come in a little before 5. Around 5:20 a doe comes walking in. Glassed it real good because lots of nubbin bucks around. Slick head, not dark on the hind legs. Kind of scrawny and two tone color.
    Told my girl to take it. Good shot, walks off 20 yards and piles up. Gather our stuff up and text our ride back to base camp.
    Walk up and the damn thing has balls. WTH??? Check it's head and two bumps but not covered by skin. Freaking thing had shed both it's antlers. He was malnourished, fur was two colors because it had already started changing.
    Biologist checked it's teeth back at camp and said it was a 2.5 year old. Testicles were small, no dark markings on hind legs, skin was thin and could see backbone.
    Questioned about it possibly being sick but when processing the meat was a good color and nothing odd about it.
    They are testing for CWD and other things on all the deer harvested so when I get results (about 4 weeks) I'll know for sure if anything is wrong.
    Back at it in the morning to see if she can go 3 for 3.

Had that happen a few years back on Thanksgiving weekend, and I was bowhunting, so even up close that’s hard to see. Still eats good though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    • Like 1

Nice cold front yesterday. Last day of muzzleloader season. I'll be wandering around in my hunting shirt and fringed wool drop front trousers (circa 1830's) with my flintlock hoping to drop something. But mostly just enjoying being in the woods hunting like my ancestors did two hundred years ago. Of course, I have binoculars, because I am civilized. I hope my ancestors understand.

• Hook 'Em 2

Nice cold front yesterday. Last day of muzzleloader season. I'll be wandering around in my hunting shirt and fringed wool drop front trousers (circa 1830's) with my flintlock hoping to drop something. But mostly just enjoying being in the woods hunting like my ancestors did two hundred years ago. Of course, I have binoculars, because I am civilized. I hope my ancestors understand.

Endeavor to persevere.
    • Hook 'Em 3
    • Like 2

Make sure not to bathe till spring.

Now that the season is over, I'm thinking about all the work that needs to be done as we go into the first spring at my new place: put up a new blind, build a food plot, drag the roads, maybe plant some sunflowers for the dove. 

I'm almost as excited about that as I am for the actual hunting itself. 

• Like 1

My girl missed a spike this morning but still had a great time this weekend. She did fill the cooler with 2 deer yesterday.
    Any you guys would like to take your kid(s) on a deer/hog hunt on some very nice private ranches contact www.tyhp.org.
    The typical fee that goes to the organization is between $100-$150 for the weekend which not only includes the hunt but all meals and lodging.
    It was a beautiful morning. Haz the sads for leaving. 558785d01271e0f9cbb55ea358786b7c.jpg

• Hook 'Em 5
    • Like 1

14 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Nice cold front yesterday. Last day of muzzleloader season. I'll be wandering around in my hunting shirt and fringed wool drop front trousers (circa 1830's) with my flintlock hoping to drop something. But mostly just enjoying being in the woods hunting like my ancestors did two hundred years ago. Of course, I have binoculars underwear, because I am civilized. I hope my ancestors understand.

Civilized.

Where are the ducks in centex? We have a lease with several stock tanks out by COTA, and this time of year, it’s always good for a half limit or so, sometimes better. Went this morning….saw one gadwall buzz us late. That was it.

And I noticed the detention pond near Arbor Walk, which is usually covered with ducks, had ZERO on it. So…are they not pushed down yet? Something else?

14 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Where are the ducks in centex? We have a lease with several stock tanks out by COTA, and this time of year, it’s always good for a half limit or so, sometimes better. Went this morning….saw one gadwall buzz us late. That was it.

And I noticed the detention pond near Arbor Walk, which is usually covered with ducks, had ZERO on it. So…are they not pushed down yet? Something else?

Arbor Walk ducks are getting drunk af off broken bottles in specs parking lot then shitting on loud mouthed fat kids at Chuck E Cheese. 

So I’m finally gonna bite the bullet and get a NV scope for varmint and hog hunting.

My BiL already has a bering optics Hogster thermal so for me that means I just need to be able to better see what I’m shooting at.

Currently I use a combo of green lights on my feeder and a green light in my firearms.

Which of the Sightmark Wraith HD and ATN Xsight would be better money spent? I’m using my fantasy football winnings on it so I’ve gotta keep it around $500, other suggestions are welcome.

Kinda like that sightmark is a Texas company.

(Cross posting this in the gun owners thread for max views)

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

I'm not a waterfowler so I don't know if it is usual or not but we have thousands of ducks still around our place in central Kansas. Our weather has been unusually warm with a few really cold weekends thrown in. I'm guessing they haven't felt the need to run for cover yet.

• Like 1

I'm not a waterfowler so I don't know if it is usual or not but we have thousands of ducks still around our place in central Kansas. Our weather has been unusually warm with a few really cold weekends thrown in. I'm guessing they haven't felt the need to run for cover yet.

That’s been my suspicion - that our usual groups got held up north because they didn’t need to keep flying to warm weather.