2021-2022 hunting thread

markstanco

6 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Here they are

Dillon blinds

They are insulated. At least some of them are. I cut one in half and made it longer for a leasemate last year.  It also says they are insulated walls on the link.  Maybe they used to not be, but some are now for sure.  He had 1/2” or so foam walls and the roof and floor were a bit thicker. all glass covered. His had fallen and broken on another guys place and he gave it to him.  Made his 4x6 into a 4x8 and fixed the door that had got fucked up in the fall. Nice blinds. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

They are insulated. At least some of them are. I cut one in half and made it longer for a leasemate last year.  It also says they are insulated walls on the link.  Maybe they used to not be, but some are now for sure.  He had 1/2” or so foam walls and the roof and floor were a bit thicker. all glass covered. His had fallen and broken on another guys place and he gave it to him.  Made his 4x6 into a 4x8 and fixed the door that had got fucked up in the fall. Nice blinds. 

I say no because we've had a few start to come apart at the seams and the walls are old school fiberglass painted over.  We gorilla-taped them and painted over the cracks.  Real advanced stuff....

43 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

I say no because we've had a few start to come apart at the seams and the walls are old school fiberglass painted over.  We gorilla-taped them and painted over the cracks.  Real advanced stuff....

Dillon been around forever. I’m sure there’s a whole bunch of iterations out there thru the years.  Lol gorilla tape.  Get you some resin and long sleeves…

• Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Good on you for having the patience to let him mature and also for having that luxury. It makes me furious to think of what our buck population could look like if my dumbass uncle and cousin didn’t shoot the shit out of everything with antlers that they see.

Do they not believe, not listen or just don’t care?   Or all three?  Are they egotistical SOBs that HAVE TO shoot a “big” buck every year in order to outdo someone else’s?

It is maddening, immature and a quick way to get booted out of our camp.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

That video of him at 3ish, he’s a healthy son of a gun. Be hard for most to let him walk and grow up and reach his potential. I would way rather take a great deer every 3-4 years vs a nice deer every year. We are in Mills County and it gets a lot of pressure, wish all the neighbors would let them mature.

• Hook 'Em 1

53 minutes ago, deadshank said:

Do they not believe, not listen or just don’t care?   Or all three?  Are they egotistical SOBs that HAVE TO shoot a “big” buck every year in order to outdo someone else’s?

That’s what’s good about owning our place and not trusting strangers (and even worse, their guests) to be good stewards of our own resources. 

With very few exceptions, my brother and his BIL are the only ones who hunt out there and they both are very clear about which bucks can and can’t be shot. I can’t tell them apart on the cameras, so I always let them decide who can shoot what. 

Then again I don’t even like shooting deer, TBH, so it doesn’t bother me. I just like looking at them after they are dead and mounted. (and eating venison chili and backstrap)

• Haha 1

A little bit of all the above. He left for college when he was 18 and I don’t think he’s been back to the farm one time unless it served his best interest and he’s almost 65. He’s a city fuck these days and has been all my life. We work cattle twice a year and he’s never once shown up to help. My other uncle was a superintendent working on his PhD and living 7 hours away, but he could always find time to come help. It doesn’t help that the shitbird uncle is an incredibly successful corporate turd. I’m quite certain he makes more in a month than I make in a year. So he doesn’t listen to anyone either because he always knows best. Just an all around asshat that I probably won’t have anything to do with once my dad is gone.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

8 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Man….I just couldn’t shoot a cat like that unless I had to. They’re just so awesome, and I love knowing that they’re out there.

Same. Totally legal to kill one but not sure I would want to. Unless it's regularly predating your livestock or threatening you in some way... would be hard to shoot it. They have such a large range and are so sparse that I can't imagine a single cat would cause that much damage to a single rancher where it would be necessary to kill it, but 🤷‍♂️.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Third big cat killed in the last 18 months in Taylor County

e0a294c152464108b5bf7eaa4d99c51b.jpg

Hate this shit. Don’t really see a reason to kill it beyond actual self defense but I’m sure there’s some flimsy justification that people utilize. If it’s eating deer then who fucking cares. If it’s killing/eating livestock then that’s just part of the deal and efforts should be made to ameliorate the situation (without right off killing the cat).  Some animals are too badass to kill, and there is something really sad when I see a big cat laid out like that.  

• Hook 'Em 4

On 2/5/2022 at 8:04 AM, Herbie Hancock said:

Good on you for having the patience to let him mature and also for having that luxury. It makes me furious to think of what our buck population could look like if my dumbass uncle and cousin didn’t shoot the shit out of everything with antlers that they see.

Sucks.  That's so many places these days.  Often it's people from the city who get out so infrequently that they have to get "something" when they do go.  Sometimes it's a battle of neighbors.  "Those guys" are going to shoot the first buck they see, so when I get my chance it makes sense to take it.

Just a big self licking ice cream cone

45 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Sucks.  That's so many places these days.  Often it's people from the city who get out so infrequently that they have to get "something" when they do go.  Sometimes it's a battle of neighbors.  "Those guys" are going to shoot the first buck they see, so when I get my chance it makes sense to take it.

Just a big self licking ice cream cone

The neighbors issue is why I am a fan of high fences.  People want to kill way more deer than their property can sustain.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

Same. Totally legal to kill one but not sure I would want to. Unless it's regularly predating your livestock or threatening you in some way... would be hard to shoot it. They have such a large range and are so sparse that I can't imagine a single cat would cause that much damage to a single rancher where it would be necessary to kill it, but 🤷‍♂️.

The deer are so thick in our subdivision, that the female mountain lion, in here, does not run off her cubs, plenty to eat for everyone. We have 3-6 around here constantly. People see them from time to time, many on security or game cameras. I see tracks on my riverfront acreage occasionally. So far, they haven't attacked humans. I too, would have a hard time shooting one.

CHIEF

• Like 1

The elk / mulie hunt I’m going on in Idaho has black bear, cougar and wolf tags as an option.  They’re inexpensive and I’m contemplating purchasing them.   If the long tails are hunted with dogs, treed and pistol shot  then I will opt out.    

Edited by deadshank
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

What if you have the option of climbing up the tree with a knife in your teeth like a pirate?

I've done that.  It was awesome.

58 minutes ago, Kennythetiger said:

One-on-one. 
Man vs. pussy. 
Bad news, guys- pussy wins every time. RIP, Deadshank. 

Will see who the bigger pussy is.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, deadshank said:

The elk / mulie hunt I’m going on in Idaho has black bear, cougar and wolf tags as an option.  They’re inexpensive and I’m contemplating purchasing them.   If the long tails are hunted with dogs, treed and pistol shot  then I will opt out.    

I would. I’d have a lot bigger issue hunting them here than where they are prevalent. Isn’t using dogs to tree, then shoot, the go to method where they are routinely hunted? 

They are cool cats but numbers need to be checked like everything else. I'm not worried about whitetail but in mule deer country cats can wreak havoc. An adult cat kills a deer a week on average. Thats a LOT of muleys. 

I have no stomach for chasing them with dogs or trapping, but I'm not gonna lie, when I have a deer or elk tag I'm glad other dudes are out there running them down.

I have a small piece of property in eastern Travis County and found a lion kill (whitetail) a couple of weeks ago about 75 yards from the house. I've heard they were there historically but after at least ten years of running trail cams and hunting, I've never seen one there. Amazing how they can hide.

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

I would. I’d have a lot bigger issue hunting them here than where they are prevalent. Isn’t using dogs to tree, then shoot, the go to method where they are routinely hunted? 

Correct.  I may hold a cougar tag in abeyance if I see one free ranging.  Won't do it driven by dogs.

27 minutes ago, Speedtrucker said:

Buddy of mine was showing my his weighed hogs in the wise county competition…

Then I looked up the leader board and holy shit!

378lb is the leader right now…

Buddy is trying to get at least 1 300+lb hog to place.

My land ain’t yet to see any 200+lb hogs

378 will be hard to beat!  We are entered into this contest as well.  We have been saucing them for 3 weeks now and tomorrow we hunt them for the first time (ice storm f’d is the first weekend)  we think we have a few over 300...we will find out tomorrow ! Here are a few we think might be 300+9ECEB352-106A-4193-8183-987514F18F6B.jpeg.d2566d5c8e6b438031a44b5b09faf36c.jpeg002F4C4F-D870-494C-9879-CECFA76FCBB1.jpeg.a96efd373a6ab334a74565da3b1d9c64.jpeg06BE6486-4248-4562-BCB8-5E992F3358C3.jpeg.ee1e479ae1a7164078908201427393b7.jpeg4733F346-35FE-440C-99D1-F60513F875FD.jpeg.73f91ee7a83f4e35c79c076961395408.jpeg

• Like 1