2021-2022 hunting thread

markstanco

1 hour ago, deadshank said:

Going up?

48F4BB9C-D8D2-42E4-B76A-A10D01D75869.jpeg

Nothing better than that.  I am thinking of getting a license, buying a chopper, and doing that when I semi-retire in a few years (I am 45 and have maybe 5 more years of serious law practice in me).  I love flying ranches in a chopper.  It never gets old.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

Nothing better than that.  I am thinking of getting a license, buying a chopper, and doing that when I semi-retire in a few years (I am 45 and have maybe 5 more years of serious law practice in me).  I love flying ranches in a chopper.  It never gets old.

In the late 1950s My brother rode in a friend’s ranch helicopter to shoot jackrabbits with his dad’s chopper - a WW2 Thompson. Fun time he said.

• Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

Y'all doing a deer survey, or shooting hogs?

CHIEF

Survey.  Range conditions look good.  Antler production looks great.  

1.3 doe to bucks ratio. 

1 deer to 16.45 acres. 

Saw one BIG buck that, on closer inspection, turned out to be a red stag that showed up out of nowhere.  

He just made the list.  

Edited by deadshank
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

On 10/1/2021 at 9:20 AM, Izhmash said:

This big fucker is teasing me!  Edit -- having an argument with my pops -- what does the Surly Hive estimate weight on this guy?

image637686680881995030.png.bcdb1afbf46aac159c86ff98f2804f16.png

Night Pic:

image637686771732019440.png.fd53ca39a47079e5db7218df4840b85b.png

Not sure about the weight, but back when we used to chase pigs with dogs that was the kind of pig that would leave you stitching up several of your dogs. Big enough to do some damage, but small enough to be quick.

Was able to fly in for the bow opener.  Didn't intend to hunt / didn't bring a bow.  Did did some scouting and generally relaxed.  Was nice to see the effects of those late week frog choker rains.  One of the coolest things I've seen in a long time was that starting Saturday morning, the Hill Country Rain Lilies started coming up and by noon they were blooming.  Fields of them literally popping up by the hour.   At sunrise you wouldn't have seen a single one.  By 7pm, there were thousands of white blooms. 

Amazing what mother nature can do out there in just 48-72 hours when given a little moisture after a dry spell.....transformational.

• Like 3

Just now, The Royal We said:

What!? 

I remember this "before" picture from back in the email Fwd: fwd: fwd: fwd: days.  Never saw the "after" picture.

It was buried in my photobucket account.  Just stumbled across it.  For the record, I did not shoot that deer.  My buddy, who owned the ranch down in Dimmit Co did.  That pic was when he stopped by on the way to Schleyer’sTaxidermy.

• Hook 'Em 1