Songs that hit you or someone you love in the feels

closetohumping

And posted above was this one by Jesse Winchester.  I LOVE this live version....and watching Neko and how it hits her.   The combo of the chords, melody and his voice just adds so much to the depth and feeling of this one.  

Edited by hullabelew
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

After living in Argentina for over 7 years, I got a little used to tango music.

One song in particular, "Adios Nonino", was written by Astor Piazzola upon hearing that his father had died back in Argentina. (Piazzola was working in New York at the time.)

I returned Stateside to live because my dad was old and his health wasn't great. When he finally passed away, I just posted the following video to announce that he was gone. (The bandoneon player is a bit of a ham, but when the conductor, André Rieu, comes in with the violin, tears start to form and drip down my cheeks. It did against last night.)

"Adios Nonino" Part II: The current queen of The Netherlands is from Argentina. When she married the Dutch prince back in 2002, she had the song played at her wedding... perhaps in part because her father wasn't allowed to attend the ceremony due to his position as a military officer during the 1976-1983 military dictatorship. Tango is all about melancholy, missed opportunities, better times in the past... There are no words to this song, but words really aren't needed to hit you in the feels.

• Hook 'Em 2

31 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Cats in the Cradle by Harry Chapin

Long story short, I ended up in TN shortly after leaving Austin in my early 20's.  Met my wife.  Started a family.  In a twist of luck/fate, I brought the family back to Texas 4 years ago.  I began taking my, then, 10-year old to watch football games at my alma mater, Garland High.  Last night, was the first time in which we went to the game with him as a student of Garland.  

Cats in the Cradle came on during the drive home.  He said something along the lines of, "Yeah, I won't be like that with you when I'm older".  I'm pretty sure I covered up the allergic reaction.

Also.  @Napoleon My wife and I had planned a trip to Vegas last year which was disrupted by Covid.  We're trying again this spring break (both of us teachers).  It just so happens, Rieu will have a concert there during our stay.  I am really, REALLY excited about being able to see him live.

Edited by Knoxtnhorn
Terrible teacher grammar.
  • Like 2

On 8/18/2021 at 8:11 PM, Clintonaldo said:

Conway Twitty That’s My Job

Sheweeee.  Being 40 with a 7 month old and having a father in a nursing home with a traumatic brain injury this song just get’s the tears flowing. 

@Clintonaldo

Bro.  It's been awhile.  I'm truly sorry to hear about your father.

I was going to post the following.  I was extremely close to my WWII vet, farmer grandfather.  He died my freshman year at Texas.  I still harbor all kinds of guilt because I kind of "hid" in Austin during the last few months.  I couldn't stand to see him in wilt away to cancer.  Anyway, I was watching True Detective (I think season 2) and they played this song.  It hit me really hard.  His voice sounds exactly like my grandfather singing hymnals at the small, Brownwood, TX church he essentially build.

Edited by Knoxtnhorn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

Funny side note that Clintonaldo might appreciate being from TN.

My wife absolutely cannot stand Conway Twitty.  She said, growing up, her grandparents forced her to go to some place called Twitty City or somesuch.  She grew up in Clarksville, TN.  I guess this was a Conway Twitty tourist attraction.  Anyway, the song comes on and I'm tearing up while she's ranting.

@Knoxtnhorn I had never heard of Rieu before searching out renditions of Adios Nonino 3 to 5 years ago, but after watching that so many times, I’ve thought about checking out one of his summer concerts one day.

Re: Cats In The Cradle

That was on the radio in the kitchen once when I was in my teens to early 20s and I asked my dad if he’d ever heard that song. (He grew up with big band music.)

He replied: “That song is a total bummer.”

He was probably somewhere in his 60s at that point, but he wasn’t wrong. 🥺

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Napoleon said:

@Knoxtnhorn I had never heard of Rieu before searching out renditions of Adios Nonino 3 to 5 years ago, but after watching that so many times, I’ve thought about checking out one of his summer concerts one day.

That was on the radio in the kitchen once when I was in my teens to early 20s and I asked my dad if he’d ever heard that song. (He grew up with big band music.)

As a fellow footballer, you might appreciate that I came across him when looking up versions of, "You'll Never Walk Alone".

2 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

As a fellow footballer, you might appreciate that I came across him when looking up versions of, "You'll Never Walk Alone".

My dad loved Josh Groban so we had it playing in the hospice room. As we were huddled around him telling him we loved him as he was gasping for breath (because hospice dehydrates a person, kills their kidneys and then they drowned  in their own fluid 😭), Josh Groban’s “You’ll Never Walk Alone” started playing. I didn’t say anything, but I will probably always remember it…

And I have been crying as I have been typing this in my phone. 😭

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

That song is a got damn bummer for sure. Hate when it's on, but I can't turn it off either.  And it's like 40 years old or something?  Still applies to any generation.

I said it before, but The Walk by Sawyer Brown really hits as I see what's  in the not too far future.

• Hook 'Em 1

55 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Funny side note that Clintonaldo might appreciate being from TN.

My wife absolutely cannot stand Conway Twitty.  She said, growing up, her grandparents forced her to go to some place called Twitty City or somesuch.  She grew up in Clarksville, TN.  I guess this was a Conway Twitty tourist attraction.  Anyway, the song comes on and I'm tearing up while she's ranting.

That is funny and I didn’t like him as a kid but love him now. Thanks for the kind words. One of these days we will meet up at a Texas Tennessee game. 

• Hook 'Em 1

48 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

If I play this song at an 11 of 10, and I think back on all those wild animals I ran with who are dead of overdose or misadventure or spending their lives in jail, I can get caught up in the emotions of brotherhood and a short, nasty, brutish life:

Playing this on drums in my buddy brian dads (RIP) basement. What a great song. Brings back memories for me. RIP to all you have lost…. Like the song says THIS ONES FOR YOOOOOOOOU!

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Bogeywon said:

Playing this on drums in my buddy brian dads (RIP) basement. What a great song. Brings back memories for me. RIP to all you have lost…. Like the song says THIS ONES FOR YOOOOOOOOU!

I wasn’t born there and only married into SoCal GenX royalty, but apparently if you were anywhere in SoCal, you know this song even to this day.

50 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

I wasn’t born there and only married into SoCal GenX royalty, but apparently if you were anywhere in SoCal, you know this song even to this day.

I’m from michigan and this shit was on repeat. I couldn’t do any of the rolls on drums but this shit was the most fun to play and party at punk rock party’s to

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/25/2021 at 9:05 AM, ocugolf said:

When we lost our baby 8 months pregnant, as I was driving from the hospital for a break, Tears In Heaven by Eric Clapton came on the radio. Almost wrecked before I could pull over.

That song came out when I was 18 or 19. Me and my buddies were too cool for that "pussy-ass shit" and "crank the Metallica", etc. Then I had kids and the song just blasts me in in the heart every time I hear it. My kids are 19 now and I'm sure they think I'm a dork when I listen to some pussy-ass song, too. They shall learn one day.

Two that I try to avoid when driving are "Sweet Little Jesus Boy" by Andy Williams and "Were you there when they crucified my Lord" by Johnny Cash. I only listen to those when I'm alone, too. No one needs to see my fat ass blubbering.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...