Songs that hit you or someone you love in the feels

closetohumping

My sister, Kristi, committed suicide by taking a pharmacy’s worth of a drug cocktail. I came in from out of state because her husband (my BIL) had committed suicide with a handgun the night before. 

She had been sleeping in the family room near me for several hours and woke up around 3 AM. I was sleeping on the sofa and woke up when she woke up. I gave her a glass of water. She took a drink and died in front of me. I called 911 and gave her CPR until the ambulance arrived. They revived her, and we went to the hospital. A few hours later her brain began to swell and she was pronounced dead.

This song triggers that memory.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 5

On 8/28/2021 at 3:53 PM, closetohumping said:

That song is a got damn bummer for sure. Hate when it's on, but I can't turn it off either.  And it's like 40 years old or something?  Still applies to any generation.

I said it before, but The Walk by Sawyer Brown really hits as I see what's  in the not too far future.

Here it is actually:

Fucking kills me.

• Hook 'Em 1

My father is terminal with stage 4 cancer in his lungs, lymph nodes, liver and bile duct and these two songs hit me every time they come up on my playlist. Probably the reason I added them in the first place. Music has always been a big part of my life and these two encapsulate the feelings I have dealing with the impending death of my hero. The first one just a reflection of life as a son, a brother and a father and the second one how I imagine I will react when his battle concludes.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/20/2021 at 3:28 PM, closetohumping said:

And this:

I make it about 30 seconds into that one 

When I was 5 my dad would take me to school every day. It was about a 30minute drive in his little Nissan truck and we would listen to Dan Fogelberg daily it seemed like.  I was probably the only kindergartener who knew who he was.

Anyway I was in the car stuck in traffic on 360 like 15 years ago and this song comes on.  In no time I'm an emotional wreck. 

My dad is still around and as Dan sings 

"my life has been a poor attempt to imitate the man. I'm just the living legacy to the leader of the band."

• Like 1

For me, it's this, and I'm not sure there's a second place.

He didn't write this, but it, combined with the video is heart wrenching, and also brutal. 

The photos of him with June Cash when they were young, and her looking at him in anguish in the video, which was filmed a few months before she died, the "House of Cash" closed to the public, his framed gold record for "Johnny Cash at San Quentin" with the cracked glass, and at the end when he closes the piano and places his hands on the cover make this an intensely personal piece of work that still speaks to everyone.

Sometimes it seems like everything in entertainment is fake, especially the emotions. This isn't. It's real, and it's a masterpiece.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My dad had dementia before Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis finally killed him but he never forgot his loved ones. Mom is in an assisted living memory care place now so I guess I know what is in store for me. I just don’t want to forget the people in my life that have meant everything to me. What a terrible and lonely existence. I saw Hayes Carll at Gruene recently but he didn’t play this. Probably a good thing or I would’ve lost it.

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
On 1/2/2022 at 4:02 AM, Victor Lazlo said:

My wife died of a rare, virulent cancer in January of 2021. It happened so fast, and I’m still a wreck.

This Moody Blues song says what I feel every day - “Cause you’re not here.”

I don’t know why I’m even telling this to a bunch of strangers, but, there it is.

“Forever Autumn”

Bumping this because I’ve been over served and yesterday was the second anniversary of my sweet wife’s death. God, I miss her.

• Like 9

On 1/19/2023 at 11:00 AM, Hpara759 said:

my FIL favorite song (played at his funeral).

Anytime I catch the wife teary-eyed....have you been listening to Louie again??

Right on

On 12/19/2022 at 10:15 AM, SuckitKevin said:

My dad had dementia before Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis finally killed him but he never forgot his loved ones. Mom is in an assisted living memory care place now so I guess I know what is in store for me. I just don’t want to forget the people in my life that have meant everything to me. What a terrible and lonely existence. I saw Hayes Carll at Gruene recently but he didn’t play this. Probably a good thing or I would’ve lost it.

Love Hayes

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

On the surface, it is a circus clown bemoaning the fact that he has lost his love to a more powerful/rich/handsome man. I think on a deeper level it is all of us, realizing that we have very little control. We all lose out to those who are more powerful/rich/handsome. We are all clowns.

I picked this version because the lyrics are projected above the stage...and because Errin Brooks is a bad ass. 

Edited by Not that Bob
I'm stupid
  • Hook 'Em 2

Lo those many damned years ago now…

I had two cassettes (I told you it was a long time ago) that were on repeat in my car. The first, almost always when it was just guys and cranked up, was Back in Black. The other, in the presence of female company, was The Long Run. I was playing The Long Run.

My best friend and I were high school juniors driving around with a couple of smoking hot TCU students. They were passing back and forth a bottle of peppermint schnapps. Everyone was in a great mood, it was a lot of fun, and I was about to bang a college girl. 

I’m driving down University toward I30. It’s raining. King of Hollywood comes on. For some reason that song, that night, that road, that drive all meshed together. Now, every time I hear the King of Hollywood, I’m 16 years old about to get laid, driving in the rain with my best friend and with a phenomenal blonde who is laughing with a bottle of schnapps between her legs in the passenger seat of my GTO and life is 16-year-old perfect. 

Well, even my kids have now left 16 in the dust. My dumbfuck friend is dead. But this song still transports me to one night in late 1980 when I was immortal and everything was right with the world. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Lo those many damned years ago now…

I had two cassettes (I told you it was a long time ago) that were on repeat in my car. The first, almost always when it was just guys and cranked up, was Back in Black. The other, in the presence of female company, was The Long Run. I was playing The Long Run.

My best friend and I were high school juniors driving around with a couple of smoking hot TCU students. They were passing back and forth a bottle of peppermint schnapps. Everyone was in a great mood, it was a lot of fun, and I was about to bang a college girl. 

I’m driving down University toward I30. It’s raining. King of Hollywood comes on. For some reason that song, that night, that road, that drive all meshed together. Now, every time I hear the King of Hollywood, I’m 16 years old about to get laid, driving in the rain with my best friend and with a phenomenal blonde who is laughing with a bottle of schnapps between her legs in the passenger seat of my GTO and life is 16-year-old perfect. 

Well, even my kids have now left 16 in the dust. My dumbfuck friend is dead. But this song still transports me to one night in late 1980 when I was immortal and everything was right with the world. 

I assume you banged?  Man times were different back then lol.

There are quite a few George songs that take me back to a different, not better part of my life but you still hold those memories the same.  

Garth too.  Just being honest.  I assume he's pretty hated here, for good reason.  

Here's 1 from Garth, will be back with George stuff later:

"warn out tape of Chris Ledoux, lonely women and bad booze."

Edited by closetohumping

1 minute ago, closetohumping said:

I assume you banged?  Man times were different back then lol.

Oh, yes. 

Times were hella different. 

The next summer I had a season pass to Six Flags and went with my fully armed and operational “target the second prettiest girl in the group” strategy. Best summer of my life. 

For me, it's this, and I'm not sure there's a second place.
He didn't write this, but it, combined with the video is heart wrenching, and also brutal. 
The photos of him with June Cash when they were young, and her looking at him in anguish in the video, which was filmed a few months before she died, the "House of Cash" closed to the public, his framed gold record for "Johnny Cash at San Quentin" with the cracked glass, and at the end when he closes the piano and places his hands on the cover make this an intensely personal piece of work that still speaks to everyone.
Sometimes it seems like everything in entertainment is fake, especially the emotions. This isn't. It's real, and it's a masterpiece.

That’s because Johnny was real. Nothing but real. It’s the real that made him great. I really fucking miss him.
  • Hook 'Em 1

And also….Jesus, you guys have me ready to wallow in a bottle of whiskey, cut with a few tears. Lotta hard shit, loss, and moments that are gone forever. But those things are undeniably some of the threads with which the story of life is woven.
So how about one that hits you in the good feels?
My wife and I are the same age. Grew up literally four stop signs apart. Didn’t meet until high school….where she hated me (we had a class together…it was political in nature…we disagreed…she thought I was a knowitall asshole - I know, can you imagine?). She went to the girls school across the parking lot from my boys high school. We didn’t hang together, but the soundtrack of our youth was a creature of the time, and overlapped a lot. Especially including U2, and everyone’s well-worn Under a Blood Red Sky cassette.
Fast forward to 2017, U2 is touring for the 30th anniversary of Joshua Tree (I actually saw them on that tour in 87, my wife had never seen U2). I get us tickets to see them at the Rose Bowl.
The show was amazing. Perfect even. They’ve done their encores. It’s about over. Bono looks over at a crew member, who signs that they have time for one more. Bono looks at Edge, who immediately lights into this:

And in an instant, my wife surrenders all control and starts jumping up and down, grinning wildly and singing along in pure joy. I saw her next to me, and in that moment I saw her at 16, with pure exuberance and energy and potential and zeal…and she was so beautiful that I could hardly breathe.
I’ll never be able to hear the first notes of that song without smiling.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

And as we enter the empty nest years, we are really enjoying our time together. Just the two of us, it’s great. We go to Austin FC matches. Concerts. We travel. We also savor weekend mornings; we just sit on the sofa, sip our coffee, and spend the morning together. The moments are a gift.
But the nature of this life mandates that there will only be so many of them to share while both of us are here.
My wife knows that this is one of my favorite songs. She also knows that it wrecks me. When he played it live at a concert we attended, she just squeezed my hand, knowing that I was going to listen to every note, and be in tears by the end.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

This song really got me back in 2006.

I had gone on a few dates with a gal who I thought was the one. Unfortunately her ex came back to the US for work, and she spent the week he was here with him. 

I was fucking devastated and hearing this song only made it worse, especially since the gal's name was also Grace.

We eventually started talking again and went on a few more dates. Fast forward to today, we've been married for 14 years with 2 kids. I can't listen to this song without going back to 2006 and remembering the sadness.

• Hook 'Em 1

I don't visit this forum very often, but this thread caught my attention.  My brother, sister, and I got to choose a song for my dad's funeral program.

My brother chose, You are my sunshine.  My sister chose Amazing Grace.

I chose......

My borhter asked if it was a truck driver song or something beacuse we spend a lot of time on the road.  Nah bro.  Just listen.

• Like 2

On 2/17/2023 at 3:47 PM, Brisketexan said:

And also….Jesus, you guys have me ready to wallow in a bottle of whiskey, cut with a few tears. Lotta hard shit, loss, and moments that are gone forever. But those things are undeniably some of the threads with which the story of life is woven.
So how about one that hits you in the good feels?
My wife and I are the same age. Grew up literally four stop signs apart. Didn’t meet until high school….where she hated me (we had a class together…it was political in nature…we disagreed…she thought I was a knowitall asshole - I know, can you imagine?). She went to the girls school across the parking lot from my boys high school. We didn’t hang together, but the soundtrack of our youth was a creature of the time, and overlapped a lot. Especially including U2, and everyone’s well-worn Under a Blood Red Sky cassette.
Fast forward to 2017, U2 is touring for the 30th anniversary of Joshua Tree (I actually saw them on that tour in 87, my wife had never seen U2). I get us tickets to see them at the Rose Bowl.
The show was amazing. Perfect even. They’ve done their encores. It’s about over. Bono looks over at a crew member, who signs that they have time for one more. Bono looks at Edge, who immediately lights into this:

And in an instant, my wife surrenders all control and starts jumping up and down, grinning wildly and singing along in pure joy. I saw her next to me, and in that moment I saw her at 16, with pure exuberance and energy and potential and zeal…and she was so beautiful that I could hardly breathe.
I’ll never be able to hear the first notes of that song without smiling.

On 2/18/2023 at 8:30 PM, Brisketexan said:

And as we enter the empty nest years, we are really enjoying our time together. Just the two of us, it’s great. We go to Austin FC matches. Concerts. We travel. We also savor weekend mornings; we just sit on the sofa, sip our coffee, and spend the morning together. The moments are a gift.
But the nature of this life mandates that there will only be so many of them to share while both of us are here.
My wife knows that this is one of my favorite songs. She also knows that it wrecks me. When he played it live at a concert we attended, she just squeezed my hand, knowing that I was going to listen to every note, and be in tears by the end.

On 2/18/2023 at 7:24 PM, Doc Daneeka said:

Mostly good feels. Mostly. Both of my daughters have sent me this and told me really to listen to it. 

Yea, so it's not always pain that brings tears.  Sometimes an older song brings you back to a very happy moment from your youth.  First true love at 16 or whatever, then in a blink of an eye you're an old.  You love where you are, but some songs can definitely bring you back to good times that can make you emotional.

On 2/18/2023 at 8:30 PM, Brisketexan said:

Yep.  Hits hard.  Can't imagine my life w/o my wife but I'm always worried about her reaction when I'm gone.  Cherish every moment.

On 2/18/2023 at 10:30 PM, Brisketexan said:

Yep. this one gets me..

I'll follow you into the dark by DCFC gets me too for the same reasons.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/24/2021 at 6:57 PM, Clintonaldo said:

There was a time when this song would just have been good to me but something about being older and having a child makes this one bite. It is also true

Part of what makes him such a great songwriter is that he always gets the little details right. "Drinking sweet tea out of Styrofoam cups" is a prefect example. Always takes me back to wakes in an auxiliary building of some small church that somehow always smell the same. 

• Like 3

• 5 months later...

Mom told me once that if she were ever stuck in bed and couldn't get up or communicate, to put all the old MGM musicals on the TV. She later added the 2006 BCS title game to that dream playlist.

Well, she was in the ICU, and there wasn't a way to get anything on the TV there, so I played some songs from musicals on my phone. She was falling apart and barely there, but that connected with her in her last moments.

So now I can't even THINK of this song without crying.

Somewhat less wholesome is this song.

I was the other guy in a relationship. I thought I loved her; she just wanted me (and others) for sex while she cucked her "boyfriend." So this song is relatable.

• Like 1

I recently watched Coco with my sweet, sensitive 5 year old daughter.  This part came on and I look over at her and she had tears streaming down her face.  Now I cry every time I hear it.  I don’t think I’ve ever cried just from a song before.

• Like 1

When I was 18 and a freshman at OU, I was an undiagnosed type 1 diabetic. My body was breaking down and I didn’t know why. It started sometime in the summer after graduating high school in norman. After a couple months, I was in bad shape but just kept motoring on like a dumbass who thought himself invincible.

Eventually, I developed an intense pain in my sternum. Turns out it was pancreatitis. My pancreas was digesting itself. This was around the first week of Oct. I go to the hospital and am in the ICU for a week. 

I get out of the ICU and put in a regular room for a week to recover and learn how to inject insulin. While in the room, two noteworthy things happen: baby jessica falls in the well and the stock market crash of ‘87. I watched the news coverage of those events all week.

Just like heaven was the song of the moment for me at the time. It takes me back to that strange week that marked the point where my life changed.

Edited by GenXer
  • Like 1