Tell me what's happening in Afganistan (no CR. Can't we all just get along?)

Parliament

Any truth to the rumors that the military dogs airlifted themselves out in State Department Chinooks?

I look at this thread with these "20+ hour" last post alerts and wonder why.  Then I realize it's so the moderators can sift through the mountains of bullshit being spewed about every fucking internet rumor out there that's mostly false.  My MEU cousin wanted his dog out as much as his translator, he loves them both dearly. 

The war is over.  German Shepherd out front shoulda told ya.  

On 8/31/2021 at 8:49 PM, GW Hayduke said:

DOD says no military dogs were left behind.

https://www.defenseone.com/threats/2021/08/no-us-military-dogs-were-left-behind-afghanistan-dod-says/184984/

Add that with the helicopter hanging lie to the list of debunked stories.

Well someone is lying. 

https://www.spcai.org/news/press/urgent-update-and-action-plan-from-charlotte-kabul-small-animal-rescue-ksar

Appears to be a game of semantics 

[NOTE: The above-mentioned working dogs are not working dogs owned by the U.S. military, they are contract working dogs that are owned and trained by private companies and are contracted for work that can include military and other operations.]

Edited by ChickenSandwich
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 9/2/2021 at 3:00 PM, ChickenSandwich said:

Well someone is lying. 

https://www.spcai.org/news/press/urgent-update-and-action-plan-from-charlotte-kabul-small-animal-rescue-ksar

Appears to be a game of semantics 

[NOTE: The above-mentioned working dogs are not working dogs owned by the U.S. military, they are contract working dogs that are owned and trained by private companies and are contracted for work that can include military and other operations.]

Hmmm. It appears your SPCA source along with the US military is at odds with Russia Today reporter and the Taliban commander.  I wonder who we should believe?

• 2 weeks later...

What we have learned-

Yesterday, DHS says that 3% of the 60,000 Afghans evacuated in the last days had the SIV, meaning 97% had no special reason to be evacuated by the US. 
This makes sense. The Afghans with SIVs (and the US citizens and green card holders) were all being told by State to not come to the airport. Meanwhile, we were filling up planes at the airport and flying them out. So, the ones who did as they were told by Uncle Sam got left behind. 
13 marines killed by ISIS (and over a hundred civilians?). US responds by drone striking a friendly aid worker’s family. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, statsman said:

What we have learned-

Yesterday, DHS says that 3% of the 60,000 Afghans evacuated in the last days had the SIV, meaning 97% had no special reason to be evacuated by the US. 
This makes sense. The Afghans with SIVs (and the US citizens and green card holders) were all being told by State to not come to the airport. Meanwhile, we were filling up planes at the airport and flying them out. So, the ones who did as they were told by Uncle Sam got left behind. 
13 marines killed by ISIS (and over a hundred civilians?). US responds by drone striking a friendly aid worker’s family. 

Little pink houses, for you and me  

Talis up front about resuming beheadings/amputations/executions:

KABUL, Afghanistan (AP) — One of the founders of the Taliban and the chief enforcer of its harsh interpretation of Islamic law when they last ruled Afghanistan said the hard-line movement will once again carry out executions and amputations of hands, though perhaps not in public.

https://www.npr.org/2021/09/24/1040339286/taliban-official-says-strict-punishment-and-executions-will-return

This is my favorite quote in all of it... looks like more stadium fun coming up.  Wonder what the ticket price tiers are?

"Everyone criticized us for the punishments in the stadium, but we have never said anything about their laws and their punishments," Turabi told The Associated Press, speaking in Kabul. "No one will tell us what our laws should be. We will follow Islam and we will make our laws on the Quran."

So I finally got around to watching The Wire, and I'm in the middle of the fifth season. For those who haven't watched it, it is set in Baltimore right after the war on terror began, and went on for five seasons. The fifth season aired in 2008. In the show there is a reporter talking to a Marine vet who is homeless and talking about Fallujah. I know it's not Afghanistan, but it really hit me that they were still using flip phones and the idea of sending pictures by phone was a novelty to them over half a decade after we got involved in Afghanistan. That's how long we were over there. Maybe it just seems like longer because I'm only 35 and have spent a decade doing single guy things before getting married and now I have a wife and three kids since that episode aired and it was already well into the war by then. But, yeah. We've been at war for most of my life.

On 9/24/2021 at 8:39 AM, phdhorn said:

Talis up front about resuming beheadings/amputations/executions:

https://www.npr.org/2021/09/24/1040339286/taliban-official-says-strict-punishment-and-executions-will-return

This is my favorite quote in all of it... looks like more stadium fun coming up.  Wonder what the ticket price tiers are?

I never been able to wrap my head around this tension we often have in 'murica between opposing "cultural imperialism" (if that is the right word) and then being surprised when other cultures behaved differently than we do. It always feels schizophrenic when we strongly support non-Western cultures and do not want to impose our values on them but then seem shocked when they actually have different values, i.e. they're not to concerned about the intersectionality of their leadership. No value judgment but just a weird reality possible only in 'murica.

• 6 months later...

Yeah Pakistan, it sucks when they use the neighboring country to attack you from and hide in without impunity doesn't it? Kinda seems like maybe you should've put forth more effort to helping instead of giving them safe harbor, and maybe they wouldn't be there to turn on you:

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/4/17/afghanistan-death-toll-in-pakistan-strikes-rises-to-47-official

At least 47 dead in Afghanistan after Pakistan attacks: Officials
Air attacks by Pakistan on eastern Afghan provinces of Khost and Kunar killed mainly women and children, officials say.

“Terrorists are using Afghan soil with impunity to carry out activities inside Pakistan,” the statement, which was unusually harsh in its language, said.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1