5 Hours in Austin

SimonBolivar

So this Sunday I'll have to kill 10-3 in town by myself. I don't plan on drinking as I'll be driving back to Waco after. 

I was thinking probably Uncommon Objects and maybe a trip to Pinballz? I've done Blanton and Bullock. Sadly LBJ is closed. Any other ideas? I also have grad school reading to do so a kickass coffee bar would work too.

What ya think?

Yeah, if you can tell us where you'll be arriving and then pushing off from, that would help a great deal.  

If you wanna finish up your fun break up north to get out of town faster for Waco (I know how people just can't wait to get back to Waco).....totally understandable.  Can base our recs on location with some more info.

Grab a to go order of enchiladas especiales from Habanero, it’s on oltorf. Take that to deep Eddy cabaret and have a couple cheap beers while destroying it. Take happy full buzzed ass down the hill to deep eddy pool and get your read in between dips in the pool to cool off.

• Hook 'Em 2

And end up in Nuevo Laredo? No thanks.

So great, my friends gf was leaving Austin to head back to Dallas. She Called about 90 min after departing “ugggh been stuck in a traffic jam for 30 min bc of a wreck”, friend asks where exactly so he could help find a detour. “New braunfels is the next exit” she replies.

Eventually gets headed north again only to hit Austin rush hour squarely.

They ended up getting married.
  • Haha 1

Okay, so you really should spend your time down South then since you should probably pick your wife up after her test.  Also, as strange as this sounds---she might want to drive back to take her mind off the exam/second-guessing herself/etc.  So you could booze it up.  Your call.  

You'll be really close to the Still Whiskey Distillery.  Schedule a tour and a tasting (it ends up being like 2 full shots by the time you're done so you will be fine to drive 5 hours later).  It's a cool facility, super nice people, owned by some Longhorns.   Saint Elmo brewery is in the same complex as well, tour that if you prefer beer.   Walk the hike 'n bike trail between Riverside and Pleasant Valley.  Nice eye candy (aside from the homeless camps), you can see all the new development going in there/Oracle campus.  Just something to do to stretch your legs I suppose.  Plenty of great restaurants down that way off of South First and South Congress.  I guess you'll have time drive to pretty much anywhere for lunch.  I'd suggest hitting up the Music Lane project at South Congress & Academy Drive.  Lots of nice eye candy there, handful of restaurants, you can chill out in the SoHo club if you pretend you're interested in membership, gawk at the pool bunnies, and some interesting stores to browse (again mainly just to see the eye candy).  Haven't been yet but the Cidercade on Riverside Drive where you'll be...you can skip the booze and get a playcard and goof around on 80's arcade games for an hour.  Lots of old school classics to play.  Finish by getting your wife some tacos to-go from any one of a dozen good places down that way so she can have something to eat right when she gets out of the exam.  Or hit up Star Seed's cafe right off the highway at 30th street and get some of those to-go.

8 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

You didn’t mention the Ransom, although I don’t know if it’s open.  If it is you could steal a copy of the Gutenberg Bible.  

If it’s still there, get your hands on the original written rules of basketball and highlight the portion having to do with traveling.  Or line it out. Either makes the point. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 8/20/2021 at 10:09 AM, bluto said:

Grab a to go order of enchiladas especiales from Habanero, it’s on oltorf. Take that to deep Eddy cabaret and have a couple cheap beers while destroying it. Take happy full buzzed ass down the hill to deep eddy pool and get your read in between dips in the pool to cool off.

good tacos

• 1 year later...

Rate my 7.5 hours in Austin. 

-Steak and eggs at Juan in a Million. Chased the spicy salsa with Dos XX. 

- Latte on the Mozart’s patio.

- Double chili burger with grilled jalapeños and onions at Dirty Martin’s.

- A couple longnecks at the Tavern on Lamar. I watched the Horns beat Colgate. 

I spent the rest of the day driving around my old haunts. 

I skipped Thunderclouds because they’re not in imminent danger of closing. First time I haven’t eaten there while I was in town.

I also skipped Abel’s because I knew I’d never find a spot with the Texas game on. The Tavern has much more parking. 

I understand the consternation of Austin changing, but Tarrytown, North Campus, Allendale, Rosedale, and Hyde Park are largely how I remember them being while I was in school. 

Granted, West Campus and Downtown are another planet. 

• Hook 'Em 4

5 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I skipped Thunderclouds because they’re not in imminent danger of closing. First time I haven’t eaten there while I was in town.

I also skipped Abel’s because I knew I’d never find a spot with the Texas game on. The Tavern has much more parking. 

I understand the consternation of Austin changing, but Tarrytown, North Campus, Allendale, Rosedale, and Hyde Park are largely how I remember them being while I was in school. 

Nicely done.  Tavern and Dirty Martin's props.  Do the Texas Chili Parlor next time!

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I guess my only question is... where did you go poop?

After Steak and Eggs with Spicy Salsa to load the cannon, and using a double Chili burger with jalapeños and onions with obligatory Dirty martin grease, to power the cannon load, there really should be a bathroom listed in that 7.5 hours.  Unless you... packed it home. 😉