RIP Tom T. Hall

4th&Five

Just saw this on facebook, dammit.  I actually was putting together a Tom T. Hall setlist a year or so ago and was surprised to find at that time that he was still alive.  One of the all time great storytellers.

Started humming this tune as I was looking for a version to post, and noticed it has the same chord structure (and even rhythmic structure to a point) of one of his biggest songs (that he gave away), Harper Valley PTA:

A couple other favorites:

and of course:

• Hook 'Em 1

Then there was this entire record.  I remember when I dad got it he showed it off to all his musician friends paying particular attention the John Prine cover "Paradise."  He liked it so much, in addition to the LP, he went and bought an 8 track for the car.  It's a record I never have tired of.  Probably because it's the first bluegrass record I ever paid attention to.  Plus it had this crazy 70s cartoon on the cover that fascinated pre-school Chad.  I still spin it all the time.  

R-2201326-1274015244.jpeg.jpg

Kelly knocked out another Tom T. song.   She actually learned the song with the band and didn't tell Bruce.  Bruce is always taking requests and can play just about any country song and was freaking her out.  She had someone yell out Harper Valley PTA....Bruce kind of laughed and she said, "I'll take a stab at it" and they fired up the song.  The look on Bruce's face was shock.....  I wish I could find the video of that...it is around somewhere, but I like the vibe of this version.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, baboso said:

Stubbs, Tom T. Hall, and Joe Ely.

This what Joe's wife, Sharon, had to say about that night and the song Tom T. Hall wrote about it:

"RIP Tom T Hall. Tom was a great friend to STUBB’S and Joe and Paul Milosevich. This is at STUBB’S restaurant in Lubbock. STUBB’S had nailed the curtains down in all the booths so people would quit wiping there greasy bbq hands on the curtains. Tom T Hall never told STUBB’S as long as they were friends that he was a vegetarian.

One night At STUBB’S Joe and Tom played a pool tournament with an onion as cue ball in STUBB’S back room where he kept all the food to cook with . The pool table was back there and sometimes served as a bed for STUBB’S when he couldn’t make it home

I secretly stole the cue ball that night when Tom and Joe were in the back playing pool continuously. I was Thinking they would come out front and play music for all the people waiting to hear them since there was no cue ball. It was in my back pocket. Instead joe found a bag of onions and pulled one out and grabbed a broom for a cue stick They continued to play pool. Tom T. won because Joe scratched the cue ball/ onion. Then Tom wrote “the great east Broadway onion championship of 1978."

• Hook 'Em 1

• 4 months later...

I missed this thread the first time, but fittingly that news drops on a day when it is very cold in Des Moines.

Legitimately stunned that he killed himself, unless it was a case of physical problems mounting and him just being ready to check out.  It seemed like as much as anyone, Tom T. Hall had "won" the music business - making tons of $, having fun without going off the rails, and being famous but not a "celebrity" in the obnoxious sense.

On 1/6/2022 at 8:27 AM, Al_4_ISU said:

I missed this thread the first time, but fittingly that news drops on a day when it is very cold in Des Moines.

Legitimately stunned that he killed himself, unless it was a case of physical problems mounting and him just being ready to check out.  It seemed like as much as anyone, Tom T. Hall had "won" the music business - making tons of $, having fun without going off the rails, and being famous but not a "celebrity" in the obnoxious sense.

Damn.  Sorry to hear this is how it went down.  The last couple interviews with him looked like he'd had a stroke or was otherwise deteriorating.  It's one thing to be deteriorating and not be aware of it, but it must be quite another to look in the mirror and know exactly what's happening.  Sail on Philosopher.  

31 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

Damn.  Sorry to hear this is how it went down.  The last couple interviews with him looked like he'd had a stroke or was otherwise deteriorating.  It's one thing to be deteriorating and not be aware of it, but it must be quite another to look in the mirror and know exactly what's happening.  Sail on Philosopher.  

I really hope it was a case of him just beating physical deterioration to the punch as opposed to him having been haunted by depression for all these years.

47 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

I know an extremely intelligent doctor (Ivy League English major-turned-medical student-turned-doctor-turned-medical research team writer of findings from studies for medical journals) who has ALS. Always active, running, cycling, did the dance thing in college and taught fitness classes as well. She can barely stand up most days now and she's barely past 50.

I think that she's tried to commit suicide some over the years. (She's also allergic to a ton of stuff... she's pretty fucked up.)

Sometimes the mind is the last thing to go and it's really depressing.

33 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

I know an extremely intelligent doctor (Ivy League English major-turned-medical student-turned-doctor-turned-medical research team writer of findings from studies for medical journals) who has ALS. Always active, running, cycling, did the dance thing in college and taught fitness classes as well. She can barely stand up most days now and she's barely past 50.

I think that she's tried to commit suicide some over the years. (She's also allergic to a ton of stuff... she's pretty fucked up.)

Sorry for your friend Napoleon.  That's horrible.  

• Hook 'Em 1

50 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

That's horrible.  ALS is the absolute worst fucking disease, IMO, and I don't blame anyone with it who takes their own life.

• Hook 'Em 1