FX: Mayans MC

NWBuck

• 3 months later...

debut tonight

Mayans M.C. is the next chapter in Kurt Sutter’s award-winning Sons of Anarchy saga.

Set in a post-Jax Teller world, Ezekiel “EZ” Reyes (JD Pardo) is fresh out of prison and a prospect in the Mayans M.C. charter on the Cali/Mexi border. Now, EZ must carve out his new identity in a town where he was once the golden boy with the American Dream in his grasp.

Enjoyed this, even with the throwbacks...

Spoiler

Damn, we're dealing with a lot of shit.

• Hero's out of prison after killing a cop, and has a deal as an informant. Dad's involved, or at least informed.
  • Hero's ex girlfriend is now on the arm of the cartel leader who hero's informing against. Oh, and hero's child might be a part of the equation
  • Hero's brother is working against the MC AND the Cartel with a bunch of rebels. Hero is "all in" with this as well.

Yeah... that's a full calendar.

16 minutes ago, You don't know me said:

At first I was afraid it was going to be a near identical story line to SOA, but that thought didn't last long.

They do seem to be carrying over a lot of plot points, though.

Young guy who doesn't really want to be in the club as it currently stands doing evil shit but feels like he's forced into it.

Feds sniffing around that will have to be dealt with.

Respectable white lady who isn't involved in the life getting sucked into the club's orbit through her connection with the main protagonist.

Fractious familial relationships inside the club involving the main protagonist where loyalties will end up being tested.

Then there are just the generic things like dealing drugs and wild shootouts, though I guess that's always going to be present in this type of stuff.

Thought it was alright.  I think it was a nice move making the Mayans the Southern Cali chapter so they can have some interactions with the Sons but be able to skirt showing main characters we saw in SoA.

Edited by SpiralOut

52 minutes ago, SpiralOut said:

I think it was a nice move making the Mayans the Southern Cali chapter so they can have some interactions with the Sons but be able to skirt showing main characters we saw in SoA.

Agreed, but you just knew that Katey Sagal was going to be in this somehow...

Young guy who doesn't really want to be in the club as it currently stands doing evil shit but feels like he's forced into it.
Respectable white lady who isn't involved in the life getting sucked into the club's orbit through her connection with the main protagonist.
Fractious familial relationships inside the club involving the main protagonist where loyalties will end up being tested.
Then there are just the generic things like dealing drugs and wild shootouts, though I guess that's always going to be present in this type of stuff.
Thought it was alright.  I think it was a nice move making the Mayans the Southern Cali chapter so they can have some interactions with the Sons but be able to skirt showing main characters we saw in SoA.
I really don't want to watch SOA again.
  • Like 2

On 9/5/2018 at 4:04 PM, SpiralOut said:

yeah but other than that...

• 1 month later...

I binge watched it this weekend. I thought it was pretty good. I agree the EZ-Emily-Galindo connection is trite - not only trite but doubt Galindo would be cool with EZ being around given the history. That being said, like the backstories and inter-connections - curious where this Felipe-Adelita connection will go next week.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone still watching this?  I have a question.

Spoiler

Why did Galindo have to kill his advisor?  I think his name is Davente.   Was he the one who turned on one of this old partners (the rebels father) and got them hacked to pieces?  Or maybe it was he did the hacking?  I'm pretty sure it's one of those things.  So what was the deal with the X-ray, his brother not having pneumonia, and his mother seemed to be involved.  Actually, that was my question.  Don't know why I started with Davante.  I'm pretty sure I have that figured out.  

6 hours ago, Go Pokes said:

Anyone still watching this?  I have a question.

Hide contents

Why did Galindo have to kill his advisor?  I think his name is Davente.   Was he the one who turned on one of this old partners (the rebels father) and got them hacked to pieces?  Or maybe it was he did the hacking?  I'm pretty sure it's one of those things.  So what was the deal with the X-ray, his brother not having pneumonia, and his mother seemed to be involved.  Actually, that was my question.  Don't know why I started with Davante.  I'm pretty sure I have that figured out.  

Spoiler

Galindo was told that his brother was abducted in order to (I think) justify the violence against the rebels/locals. I also believe that Davente was one of the people that did the "hacking" in question.

Edited by NWBuck

Spoiler Galindo was told that his brother was abducted in order to (I think) justify the violence against the rebels/locals. I also believe that Davente was one of the people that did the "hacking" in question.

That doesn’t make any sense. Didn’t his brother die years ago before the rebels were even a problem? And what did the X-ray come into this? I think we need one more viewer to chime in and help us here.

1 minute ago, Go Pokes said:

That doesn’t make any sense. Didn’t his brother die years ago before the rebels were even a problem? And what did the X-ray come into this? I think we need one more viewer to chime in and help us here.

Yeah, I could be way off base... but the rebels weren't always rebels. They are the children of folks slaughtered by the Galindo cartel.... I think the Xray revealed that brother died of pneumonia in a hospital, rather than being abducted (a story to justify the some violence mentioned earlier... violence led by Davente).

EDIT- Seems like I'm wrong, as usual:

For those confused about why Miguel turned on Devante, it’s because Devante told Miguel that his brother Cristobal was kidnapped and killed, prompting Miguel to kill the dude with the taco truck and his son, plus go to war with the Rebels instead of immediately saving his infant son. In reality, as Miguel learned from the medical records, Cristobal died of pneumonia. Meanwhile, Adelita had her own score to settle with Devante because, after Rodrigo gave Devante the location of Adela’s parents, it was Devante’s execution squad who murdered Adelita’s family.

• 1 month later...

I'm going with brown trash Americans from SoCal or a cartel, but I could be wrong.

What Mayans is missing is the Clay and Gemma characters. Maybe they'll develop in the next season. It is a close parallel of SAMCRO but missing that element .... I don't think EJO ever plays a bad guy, so don't see this happening.

Edited by Kyle

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...