Bryan Harsin at Auburn (Spoiler: He Got Fired)

texifornia

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 8/4/2022 at 6:12 PM, DFW Horn said:

Harsin's future may be even more in doubt... 🤔

Auburn parts ways with AD Allen Greene

Greene successfully fended off external forces to hire Bryan Harsin as Auburn's football coach.

ZACH BARNETT       7 HOURS AGO

AD Allen Greene is on his way out at Auburn, the school announced Friday. ESPN's Pete Thamel first reported the news. Greene has run Auburn's athletics department since 2018.

According to Thamel, with Greene's contract expiring in January, that the school was content waiting until its expiration to make a decision on his future was a decision on its own, and so Greene now wants out.

allen-greene.webp

The move comes eight days before the opening of Bryan Harsin's second season as Auburn's head football coach -- a second season that Harsin almost didn't get, at a job Harsin wouldn't have gotten if not for Greene, who is now leaving.

As John Talty detailed for AL.com back in December 2020, an influential group of moneyed boosters pushed for the ouster of Gus Malzahn and also pushed for interim head coach Kevin Steele to get the job full-time. Greene argued for a full search and president Jay Gogue sided with Greene. An 8-person search committee ultimately hired Harsin, who went 69-19 with two Mountain West championships in seven seasons at Boise State, but had zero ties to the SEC. (Of note: Gogue is no longer at AU.)

Harsin went 6-7 in his debut at Auburn, and nearly lost his job thereafter. 

After hiring SEC veterans Mike Bobo and Derek Mason to run his offense and defense, respectively, Harsin has now installed Eric Kiesau and Jeff Schmedding, both Boise State assistants, as coordinators.

Outside of football, Greene has overseen the best stretch of men's basketball in Auburn history and two College World Series trips in the last three tournaments, ending a 22-year diamond drought.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

31 minutes ago, mvlonghorns said:

I mean I get that they have sucked for two years, but firing a coach in year 2? The only other coach I can think of who was fired so quickly was Taggart at FSU.

Tied for last place with aggy will do that to you.

1 hour ago, mvlonghorns said:

I mean I get that they have sucked for two years, but firing a coach in year 2? The only other coach I can think of who was fired so quickly was Taggart at FSU.

It's because he's a crazy asshole.  That's not going to get better in year 3, 4 or 5.

Edited by kevwun
  • Hook 'Em 1

He was a terrible fit at Auburn, really a bad fit at any southern school. Know a couple guys who graduated from there, at the time of the hire, they were reaching for high hopes but I could see in their face and tone of voice it wasn't going to work. 

They'll make a better hire, but I've got old socks that will last longer than whoever they hire. 

42 minutes ago, Dewey said:

They've had 7 coaches since '98. Granted, we're trending that way, but not kinda like... Not yet. ;)

Math is a little off - Bowden, Tuberville, Chizik, Malzahn, Harsin.  As was mentioned he just was not a fit in SEC. I am pretty sure both the AD and new coach will at least understand the SEC.

7 minutes ago, AUinHsv said:

Math is a little off - Bowden, Tuberville, Chizik, Malzahn, Harsin.  As was mentioned he just was not a fit in SEC. I am pretty sure both the AD and new coach will at least understand the SEC.

HaHaHaHa

Someone jumped the gun on Wikipedia

Screenshot_20221031-152222_kindlephoto-17064813.thumb.png.761e00cfde9fc5b5cec35ed96db87b83.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm not sold on Deon being a successful coach at a major program.  I don't think Jackson State is a good measuring stick for the likes of Auburn.  And I haven't done a deep dive into the history of the most successful coaches, but it seems awfully rare that one of the true greats as a player finds anything close to that level of success as a coach.

But Auburn is pretty fucking stupid as an institution, so who knows.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm not sold on Deon being a successful coach at a major program.  I don't think Jackson State is a good measuring stick for the likes of Auburn.  And I haven't done a deep dive into the history of the most successful coaches, but it seems awfully rare that one of the true greats as a player finds anything close to that level of success as a coach.

But Auburn is pretty fucking stupid as an institution, so who knows.

He'd recruit like a mother, has the cool factor and his players would get a shit ton of $$$$ in NIL. If his players at Jackson State are getting paid what do you think that'd get at the best little brother football program in the country. I will concede it would be high risk/high reward but if Auburn really wants to compete at Alabama's level, why not try something different and swing for the fences rather than going the safe route.

16 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

I can’t believe they didn’t hire Hugh Freeze last time when they hired Harsin, and I guess I’ll be similarly shocked when they don’t hire him this time.  He’s the most Auburn coach ever, and he would win until he is forced out for cheating or some other scandal.  But that will be years from now, and is the Auburn way.  The coaches they don’t like are the ones who AREN’T shady scoundrels.

He's a changed man, dude.  Try to keep up.

• immamac changed the title to Bryan Harsin at Auburn (Spoiler: He Got Fired)