Corpus Christi

Cement

Will be in CC in a few weeks for a weeklong training and from my quick googling the restaurants look...underwhelming (perhaps that's why there was no thread on CC in the Surly search).

Any suggestions or am I hitting up Whataburger every night?  

Edited by Cement

I was there for a few years and really struggled to find anything decent in corpus food wise. Have been back probably 1-2x a year in the last 6 years or so and nothing has changed.

Tons of local hole in well Mexican joints that weren’t really distinguishable from each other so I guess take your pick there, a few decent oyster/seafood places in town but nothing mind blowing. There is a shittier version of fuddruckers called wallbangers.

The only formal/nice place I’d recommend is the Republic of Texas inside the Omni downtown.

• Hook 'Em 2

Good grief. Vietnam and Republic downtown, Yardarm is worth a look. Dragonfly on north padre along with Rock n Roll sushi. Scuttlebutt’s for casual food and a good happy hour. There’s plenty of good food. 3putt is right the Mexican food is terrible. He didn’t actually say that but it’s true.

• Hook 'Em 4

Yardarm is really good family owned for like 40 years and on the water.  The Republic of Texas at the top of the Omni has always been good when I visited.  BKK is a cool Thai spot, I ate at a upscale sports bar there a few years ago that had a great melt in your mouth steak but I have no clue what it was as I couldn’t find it when I looked for it recently on Yelp.  Water street gets shit cause it’s touristy but I’ve never had a bad meal there.   Plenty of good places.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah, you do not come to Corpus Christi for the food.  A whole lot of chains and a whole lot of unremarkable establishments.  Nothing that is a destination for sure.

My $0.02 worth having lived in the Corpus area for the last decade (assuming all places are not closed for pandemic-related reasons):

Salty Oak BBQ is worth a visit in my opinion.  I am sure the regulars in the Texas BBQ thread would crap all over it but I am not a bbq snob.  If you are out Calallen way, Mike Cotten's BBQ was good the last time I was there.

Love B & J's.  Good pizza, the Jack's wings are great, and great beer selection.  Like the original location on SPID more than the newer one on South Staples.

Second the Nueces Brewing recommendation.  I also enjoy visiting Lorelei Brewing when I am in the area.

The Post at Lamar Park may be worth checking out to see if it is the kind of place you like.  Located in the same shopping plaza center as BKK Thai Kitchen.

You can always go to a Boat 'n Net and have the very Corpus Christi experience of ordering food by shouting into a PVC pipe.

Executive Surf Club usually has live music if that is your thing.  As I think was stated above, none of the Water Street places are bad, just nothing that is all that exceptional.

Railroad Seafood Station does some brewing and has a chicken fried steak that was solid the last time I was there.

If you are out Tuloso/Annaville way, S & J Bakery makes some kolaches that always go fast when a vendor brings them to the office. 

If you need a 5 pound breakfast taco, visit Recio's Smokehouse on the south side.

Black Monk Tavern on Gollihar is a good dive bar.

• Hook 'Em 3

19 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Water street isn’t bad, downtown bar scene is ok. Hit a hooks game. Ton of Mexican places. Catfish Charlie’s for fried catfish. Snoopys. Where are you staying ?

Radisson on Surfside.  the reviews of the hotel are...meh at best.

Oh yeah...did I mention...I'm allergic to seafood... 🤢

Edited by Cement

21 minutes ago, Cement said:

Shit. Just take an Uber across the bridge to Vernon's and drink your dinner. They have free popcorn. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cement said:

When it first opened, the Yo Philly Cheesesteak place by the Radisson was pretty good.  The last time I went, I thought they had slipped some.  But still not bad if you need a cheesesteak fix.  And it has been a few years since I was last in there, so maybe they re-upped their game.  Or my last trip was an off day.

d319ac3ffcf14c3ee588b0a295c523ba.jpg

Let’s get real, Corpus has one and only especial. That’s the unknown dive Mexican place.

Got this beauty at the El Gallo Jalisco in Flour Bluff a couple weeks ago. The women with us would not enter this fine establishment due to concerns over readily apparent cleanliness issues. That was their loss. Might have been the best thing I’ve ever eaten. Get the Alambres Plate. You’ll thank me later.

• Like 1
  • Drool 2

On 8/25/2021 at 11:36 PM, justhookit said:

Good grief. Vietnam and Republic downtown, Yardarm is worth a look. Dragonfly on north padre along with Rock n Roll sushi. Scuttlebutt’s for casual food and a good happy hour. There’s plenty of good food. 3putt is right the Mexican food is terrible. He didn’t actually say that but it’s true.

On 8/25/2021 at 10:17 PM, bluto said:

Agree on water street, decent meal. Make sure to get a pic with Selena statue

On 8/25/2021 at 7:28 PM, 4th&Five said:

We’ve eaten at 8TE a couple of times on the way to or from Port A. Good food, large portions. 

On 8/26/2021 at 5:27 AM, thrillhammer said:

is blackbeards still around?   water street is solid, and its always worth the short hop to snoopy's or doc's.

On 8/26/2021 at 6:46 AM, 52-80 said:

fun fact: Corpus Christi is latin for "the body of corpus"

All of these places are great, though I know Snoopys is only fried food and some have a love/hate relationship with water Street.  They had a pretty neat menu, crawfish chicken is awesome if they still have it.  Fresh fish.  

Most of the Asian stuff there is not gonna be good compared to Dallas or Houston.  Just about any Mexican (other than Kiko's sorry) is spectacular there.  8TE is indeed great as well.

7 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I thought Andy's kitchen was a pretty good breakfast spot. It's nothing fancy, but just solid diner type food with decent Mexican breakfast stuff (huevos ranchers, chili and eggs, etc.). 

Breakfast to me is all a commodity.

Hit up Portis Country Kitchen for lunch if you're downtown on a weekend. It's in the basement of the Wells Fargo building. Great cafeteria style soul food. 

Used to like Atomic Omelette for breakfast but I heard it's gone downhill, so I tried Andy's Kitchen instead and it was cheap and great. 

8 hours ago, justhookit said:

I think cheetah’s shut down. Not that I would know anything about that.

Seems like I keep hearing commercials for Cheetah's on the sports radio station.  Could be wrong on that.  It might be for one of the other clubs in town.

On the island, Doc's, Angry Marlin, Costa Sur, Surfside Sandwich, Island Time

On the bluff, Costa Vieja, Lumpia House

I try not to go much further from the island than the bluff, though, so I really don't know that much in town other than what I've heard.

Oh...Harrison's Landing in the Marina is decent.  Went there once when I was working in downtown.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/27/2021 at 6:16 AM, DallasGatr said:

d319ac3ffcf14c3ee588b0a295c523ba.jpg

Let’s get real, Corpus has one and only especial. That’s the unknown dive Mexican place.

Got this beauty at the El Gallo Jalisco in Flour Bluff a couple weeks ago. The women with us would not enter this fine establishment due to concerns over readily apparent cleanliness issues. That was their loss. Might have been the best thing I’ve ever eaten. Get the Alambres Plate. You’ll thank me later.

This place is good.  It's a 2 min walk from my job, too.

• Like 1

On 8/26/2021 at 12:12 AM, tx 3 putt said:

Water street isn’t bad, downtown bar scene is ok. Hit a hooks game. Ton of Mexican places. Catfish Charlie’s for fried catfish. Snoopys. Where are you staying ?

I miss the Water Street location that used to be here in Fort Worth. 

1 hour ago, Ag with kids said:

On the island, Doc's, Angry Marlin, Costa Sur, Surfside Sandwich, Island Time

On the bluff, Costa Vieja, Lumpia House

I try not to go much further from the island than the bluff, though, so I really don't know that much in town other than what I've heard.

Oh...Harrison's Landing in the Marina is decent.  Went there once when I was working in downtown.

What’s Island Time? That’s a new one to me.

6 hours ago, justhookit said:

What’s Island Time? That’s a new one to me.

It's a place that has steaks and the best sushi on the island.  Right past Frost Bank in the little strip place where Subway is.  Way at the back.

You'll be happy.

You can find their menu here

https://www.restaurantji.com/tx/corpus-christi/island-time-/menu/

Edited by Ag with kids
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 8/26/2021 at 6:50 PM, ScottS said:

Yeah, you do not come to Corpus Christi for the food.  A whole lot of chains and a whole lot of unremarkable establishments.  Nothing that is a destination for sure.

My $0.02 worth having lived in the Corpus area for the last decade (assuming all places are not closed for pandemic-related reasons):

Salty Oak BBQ is worth a visit in my opinion.  I am sure the regulars in the Texas BBQ thread would crap all over it but I am not a bbq snob.  If you are out Calallen way, Mike Cotten's BBQ was good the last time I was there.

Love B & J's.  Good pizza, the Jack's wings are great, and great beer selection.  Like the original location on SPID more than the newer one on South Staples.

Second the Nueces Brewing recommendation.  I also enjoy visiting Lorelei Brewing when I am in the area.

The Post at Lamar Park may be worth checking out to see if it is the kind of place you like.  Located in the same shopping plaza center as BKK Thai Kitchen.

You can always go to a Boat 'n Net and have the very Corpus Christi experience of ordering food by shouting into a PVC pipe.

Executive Surf Club usually has live music if that is your thing.  As I think was stated above, none of the Water Street places are bad, just nothing that is all that exceptional.

Railroad Seafood Station does some brewing and has a chicken fried steak that was solid the last time I was there.

If you are out Tuloso/Annaville way, S & J Bakery makes some kolaches that always go fast when a vendor brings them to the office. 

If you need a 5 pound breakfast taco, visit Recio's Smokehouse on the south side.

Black Monk Tavern on Gollihar is a good dive bar.

all of these are good.  Aka Sushi Downtown is good.  YOLOs Cocina at Lamar Park is pretty decent.   Snapkas has good Mexican food too