Movie scenes that can almost give you allergies

closetohumping

Every. Fucking. Time. My wife knows when it’s coming up, here’s where Brisket becomes a wreck.

Probably my favorite holiday movie of all time, and while that clip never made me cry, I think it's one of the best scenes in all of John Hughes' movies.  The progression of Steve Martin's facial expressions interwoven with memories from the journey was fantastic acting.

The movie, and that scene in particular, really might be Hughes’ actual masterpiece. It’s such a fantastic movie, and that it is maybe the best work ever by two titans, Candy and Martin, makes it even better,

Also, not pulling up the clip, but the “you are a steely-eyed missile man” sequence in Apollo 13….it’s the fucking best. Just as inspirational as it gets.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Every. Fucking. Time. My wife knows when it’s coming up, here’s where Brisket becomes a wreck.

The movie, and that scene in particular, really might be Hughes’ actual masterpiece. It’s such a fantastic movie, and that it is maybe the best work ever by two titans, Candy and Martin, makes it even better,

Also, not pulling up the clip, but the “you are a steely-eyed missile man” sequence in Apollo 13….it’s the fucking best. Just as inspirational as it gets.

That was a great movie

10 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Oh my. Never seen this movie.  Tear jerker for sure

Oh hell no.  If this is the movie I think it is.  Hell no.  IIRC, when Michael Keaton's character realizes he's not going to recover, he starts making videos for his son.  Things like how to shave, fix stuff, etc..  Will not watch again.  This movie f'd me up even before I had kids.

• Like 1

On 8/31/2021 at 2:09 PM, tantric superman said:

The terrible part of it is when they show Diane Lane, I immediately stop thinking of Skip and just start thinking about the bed.

I never watched the entire movie but caught pieces on tv, including the ending a couple times. Holy shit, if Malcolm in the middle was going to college so far away, never come back for summers and not come back when he gets a job after, why not just take his dog with him? That poor dog sat there waiting for him to come back for years and died still waiting. The clincher on the sadness was that the parents wrapped him in the letterman jacket to bury him. 😢 🐶 

30 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

I never watched the entire movie but caught pieces on tv, including the ending a couple times. Holy shit, if Malcolm in the middle was going to college so far away, never come back for summers and not come back when he gets a job after, why not just take his dog with him? That poor dog sat there waiting for him to come back for years and died still waiting. The clincher on the sadness was that the parents wrapped him in the letterman jacket to bury him. 😢 🐶 

Great question.  I think because anyone who graduated before 1990 was very unlikely to take their dog to college.

Anyone who graduated before then has likely already taken their kids to college, and especially at big schools with lots of apartment dwellers, been stunned by the numbers of people who take their pets to college.

I can see, maybe a big old hound dog that becomes the frat mascot.  But other than that, if Frankie had taken that dog to college, everyone would have thought he was special needs.  Anyway, Stanford doesn't let dog in the dorms, and all freshmen are in dorms.

2 hours ago, tantric superman said:

Great question.  I think because anyone who graduated before 1990 was very unlikely to take their dog to college.

Anyone who graduated before then has likely already taken their kids to college, and especially at big schools with lots of apartment dwellers, been stunned by the numbers of people who take their pets to college.

I can see, maybe a big old hound dog that becomes the frat mascot.  But other than that, if Frankie had taken that dog to college, everyone would have thought he was special needs.  Anyway, Stanford doesn't let dog in the dorms, and all freshmen are in dorms.

College kids shouldn't have the time to watch a doggie. 

This seen is sad as Phillip Hoffman is no longer with us

Also:

Closing monologues in Stand by Me and a River Runs Through It are sad.

Read the actual novella of A River Runs Through it. It’s a fantastic piece of writing. And the closing paragraph is one of the most jaw-dropping pieces of prose I’ve ever read. And I’ve thought about Norman Maclean - how is it to know that this is the best thing you’ll ever do/write in your life, and nothing you do after will top it? I’ve read his other stuff - it’s good, but nothing tops that last para of ARRTI.
  • Hook 'Em 3

On 9/4/2021 at 11:50 AM, Knoxtnhorn said:

Oh hell no.  If this is the movie I think it is.  Hell no.  IIRC, when Michael Keaton's character realizes he's not going to recover, he starts making videos for his son.  Things like how to shave, fix stuff, etc..  Will not watch again.  This movie f'd me up even before I had kids.

When the movie starts out and he’s a kid that invites all his friends to his house because he thinks a circus is going to be there for his birthday and there isn’t was tough to watch and that was at the beginning. Had to turn it off after that.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Read the actual novella of A River Runs Through it. It’s a fantastic piece of writing. And the closing paragraph is one of the most jaw-dropping pieces of prose I’ve ever read. And I’ve thought about Norman Maclean - how is it to know that this is the best thing you’ll ever do/write in your life, and nothing you do after will top it? I’ve read his other stuff - it’s good, but nothing tops that last para of ARRTI.

Couldn't agree more. For those that might want a refresher:

Spoiler

“Now nearly all those I loved and did not understand when I was young are dead, but I still reach out to them.

“Of course, now I am too old to be much of a fisherman, and now of course I usually fish the big waters alone, although some friends think I shouldn’t. Like many fly fisherman in western Montana, where the summer days are almost Arctic in length, I often do not start fishing until the cool of the evening. Then in the Arctic half-light of the canyon, all existence fades to a being with my soul and memories and the sounds of the Big Blackfoot River and a four-count rhythm and the hope that a fish will rise.

“Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world’s great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.

I am haunted by waters.”

A River Runs Through It

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

On 9/8/2021 at 11:28 AM, Billy Pilgrim said:

When the movie starts out and he’s a kid that invites all his friends to his house because he thinks a circus is going to be there for his birthday and there isn’t was tough to watch and that was at the beginning. Had to turn it off after that.

Here’s that first scene, followed by the one toward the end when his family brings a circus to has backyard. I even teared up now just watching it.

Edited by South Austin

On 9/4/2021 at 10:01 AM, South Austin said:

As a Michael Keaton fan, I think it’s one of his best.  It gets you in the feels. Watch it.

I can't.  It came out relatively shortly after my dad died when I was in high school.  I helped him shave in the hospital the day before he passed.  Just thinking about the scene wrecks me.  I saw it in the theater with my girlfriend and had to leave.

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

I can't.  It came out relatively shortly after my dad died when I was in high school.  I helped him shave in the hospital the day before he passed.  Just thinking about the scene wrecks me.  I saw it in the theater with my girlfriend and had to leave.

Damn.  Sorry to hear that.  I watched this with my girlfriend about a year ago.  She lost both of her parents to cancer within about six months of each other.  She was a bawling wreck at the end of the movie.

• Hook 'Em 1

This one isn’t super well known but it gets me every time, the whole scene is a masterpiece. The movie is about the Soviet massacre of Polish officers at Katyn. The general here has been a model of stoicism and bravery for his men, to see him try to bolt when he’s alone, it’s far too late, and knows what’s coming is a gut punch. Go to about 3:11 in the scene.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 9/8/2021 at 11:47 AM, Brisketexan said:

If you think that’s good, you HAVE to read Young Men and Fire.  The visual imagery of Maclean going back to MT to walk the hillside at Mann Gulch and figure out what happened will wreck you.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

One of his best, not the best.  His best is A Few Good Men

Right, I don't even agree that it's one of his best. 

Hard to argue with a Few Good Men cause I fucking love that movie.  But he was also great in Rain Man, Born on the Fourth of July, Magnolia, Risky Business, and The Firm.  I'd rank those and a few others over The Last Samurai. 

Sorry for minor thread derailment.  Great thread overall. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

Right, I don't even agree that it's one of his best. 

Hard to argue with a Few Good Men cause I fucking love that movie.  But he was also great in Rain Man, Born on the Fourth of July, Magnolia, Risky Business, and The Firm.  I'd rank those and a few others over The Last Samurai. 

Sorry for minor thread derailment.  Great thread overall. 

Substitute Collateral for The Firm and I’d agree.

Benjamin Button was a gut punch. Triple whammy with dying cancer patient, Button Baby death, and Katrina. It was a tough movie with a close relative dying of leukemia. They just got intubated and never ate solid food for the next 6 months until they passed. My family has never been the same since.

If you think that’s good, you HAVE to read Young Men and Fire.  The visual imagery of Maclean going back to MT to walk the hillside at Mann Gulch and figure out what happened will wreck you.

I did. I really enjoyed several of his other pieces. He was a fantastic writer.But ARRTI stayed the best to me….and that closing para….still, damn.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Went to see this around the time I found out I was going to be a father for the first time. On the way home, my now ex-wife asking me if I was ok and I kept saying I had the hiccups as I gasped for air while I fought back the sobbing.

220px-Family_man_movie.jpg

The ending of this one got me and still does. Reminds me of my grandpa.

q?_encoding=UTF8&MarketPlace=US&ASIN=B07

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, F250 said:

Went to see this around the time I found out I was going to be a father for the first time. On the way home, my now ex-wife asking me if I was ok and I kept saying I had the hiccups as I gasped for air while I fought back the sobbing.

220px-Family_man_movie.jpg

The ending of this one got me and still does. Reminds me of my grandpa.

q?_encoding=UTF8&MarketPlace=US&ASIN=B07

The Family Man is a terribly underrated movie.  

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/4/2021 at 10:02 AM, Brisketexan said:

The movie, and that scene in particular, really might be Hughes’ actual masterpiece.

One of three that have an argument for it - for sure. They all have a good case and while I think the Breakfast Club is his magnum opus the two others aren't far behind for me at all. And it's neat because they're all great in different ways. 

---

Has anyone mentioned the scene in I Am Legend when he has to kill his dog? That's a real lighthearted chuckle. 

Oh right - forgot I'm supposed to ruin people's days in this thread:

Edited by ztejas
  • Like 1