Movie scenes that can almost give you allergies

closetohumping

10 hours ago, castolon said:

Literally all of Taking Chance. I try to watch it at least once a year because it’s important.

RIP Lance Corporal Louis Qualls. I barely knew you in life and I will never forget.

That's a rough one.  I'm not sure I cried, but was at least on the verge during most of the movie.  Probably due in part to being the son of a Marine. 

Kevin Bacon played that role perfectly.  Between that and A Few Good Men, put him in a Marine uniform and take my money. #nohomo;ormaybejustalittlehomo

• Hook 'Em 1

You know, thinking about the My Dog Skip scene, I think I've steeled myself against scenes related to humans.  It's the animal ones that get me.  I saw this with the kids, and I just thought the Flealick dog "crossing to the other side" sequence was really terrific.  Music made it.  Whenever I see an old dog, I wonder if they dream of the jumps.

Good dog.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 10/5/2021 at 2:30 PM, South Austin said:

I enjoyed it as a really good "wake up and realize what's truly important in your life" kind of movie.  Not that I was pining to be a tire salesman.

It's a great movie as long as you don't care that the kids - the heart and soul of the movie - are annihilated from existence.

• 3 months later...

There is a scene in the Mike Mills movie 20th Century Women, where Annette Benning is discussing her teenage son with Greta Gerwig and says the line:

”You get to see him out in the world, as a person. I never will.”

As the parent of a 17 and 20 year old it just crushes me.  

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 months later...
On 1/20/2022 at 10:52 AM, 956 Worldwide said:

If we’re talking kids movies, the scene where Bing-Bong the imaginary friend goes out in a blaze of selfless glory in Inside Out tore me up and then did again the next time I watched with the kids. 

That scene, absolutely. But the entire movie is just one big buzz killer. It's the death of childhood, which we will never ever get back. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm never going to apologize for my list but I can think of quite a few. No doubt that some of them fall under the chick flick category but that's fine by me.

Fried Green Tomatoes: when Ruth is dying of cancer and asks Idgie to tell her the story about the lake that used to be in town (to distract Idgie) and then Sipsy stops the clock  because Ruth has passed.

The Color Purple: the scene in the meadow where Celie is reunited with her sister and her two children.

Schindler's List: the scene where Oskar Schindler is going to flee and he breaks down sobbing. I could go on about that scene, but it's enough.

Three Spielberg movies thus far (if you include Private Ryan mentioned earlier) and here is another one: The kamikaze scene in Empire of the Sun, where Christian Bale is singing Suo Gan, the Welsh lullaby. Gawd, just slays me every time. Spielberg really knows how to set a scene.

When John Cappelletti Jr accepts the Heisman trophy in Something for Joey. My dad (who wasn't a Penn State fan) would watch that on television if it was showing, and I don't know why because, like practically the entire movie, Brian's Song, it  just makes you cry. I don't know when that movie was made, it must be old, but I think I saw it first in the 80s and never forgot it.

Judy Garland singing Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas in Meet Me In St. Louis.

The Painted Veil: the haunting melody, A La Claire Fontaine, playing as Kitty Fane (Naomi Watts) leaves China and the body of her deceased husband, Walter (Edward Norton) behind.

Philadelphia: I don't even know if I could pick one scene. There were several.

Dead Poet's Society: Captain, my captain.

The English Patient: the scene in the cave with Ralph Fiennes and Kristen Scott Thomas. "every night I'd cut out my heart but in the morning it was full again." Sob.

The Book Thief: Rudi, the boy with hair the color of lemons scene at the end.

Four Weddings and a Funeral: the eulogy. No way I'm not crying when I watch that movie. Granted there are plenty of laughs to be had too, but isn't that just like life?

Some of the others have been mentioned before, and I'm sure I have quite a few more. I don't mind having a sad moment while watching a movie. It's rather cathartic.

• Hook 'Em 1

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind got me in two or three places. One is where the child cowgirl comes and walks the little boy away from his friends urging to hit a dead bird with a hammer.

Also the sadness of what Carrey is losing. Such personal moments.

Remarkable movie.

All time for me is probably Little Big Man, watching his family murdered from across the river.  Opening to UP is close. 

Most recently, C.O.D.A. Really, a pretty upbeat and funny movie, but some scenes got me.  

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Tuco said:

All time for me is probably Little Big Man, watching his family murdered from across the river.  Opening to UP is close. 

Most recently, C.O.D.A. Really, a pretty upbeat and funny movie, but some scenes got me.  

The UP opening is all about the music.  Watch it muted.  Or, play that music to some of the scenes on this thread.  

No one dies but this one grabs me by the nuts and upper left ventricle every fucking time, especially when the bar girl sings out through her tears and then all join in, "AUX ARMS, CITOYENS! ARMEZ VOS BATTAILLONS!  MARCH ON, MARCH ON, QU'UN SANG IMPUR, ABBREUVE NOS SILLONS!"   "[The enemy's] impure blood will flow in the furrows!"   Somewhere in Mariupol, they may still be playing the Ukrainian anthem if anyone is left there alive.  Any a yinz don't like my poor spelling, kiss my ass.

• Hook 'Em 2

20 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

I guess none of you saw Old Yeller.

I did, and it's been mentioned a couple of times, although I also cry during The Yearling and Where The Red Fern Grows. Any movie where a child/adult has a relationship with a beloved dog or another animal and suffers the loss of their companion is gut wrenching.

@Tuco--Little Big Man is a great movie.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Parliament said:

At the end of American Sniper, when they're showing the roads lined with supporters and flags/etc along the way from Arlington to Austin, the flag I brought is visible as they passed through Waco.  I had a 30 foot telescoping tailgate flag pole and brought her out there with Old Glory tethered tight.  It was like 34 degrees and misty/light drizzle.  Stood there for almost 2 hours waiting for them to come through.  Thought I was going to lose a finger or two from frostbite afterward.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

• 8 months later...

Three things on screen that get me every time.

1.  The end of Rudy.  I mean the whole game.  Yeah, he was off sides.  Who cares?   As an underappreciated athlete in my younger years who had that one moment of success at the end of it all, I'm done by the end of it.

2.  The end of Terms of Endearment.  I lost my dad to cancer when I was 16.  In the movie, it's mostly the reception/wake scene where Jack Nicholson is talking to the late Debra Winger's older son telling him he's "an Astronaut and a swimmer."

3.  4th and 5.  I'm choking up just thinking about it.  How perfect.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, dcbc said:

Three things on screen that get me every time.

1.  The end of Rudy.  I mean the whole game.  Yeah, he was off sides.  Who cares?   As an underappreciated athlete in my younger years who had that one moment of success at the end of it all, I'm done by the end of it.

2.  The end of Terms of Endearment.  I lost my dad to cancer when I was 16.  In the movie, it's mostly the reception/wake scene where Jack Nicholson is talking to the late Debra Winger's older son telling him he's "an Astronaut and a swimmer."

3.  4th and 5.  I'm choking up just thinking about it.  How perfect.

Last ten minutes of Rudy definitely made me cry. 

• Hook 'Em 1

To Kill a Mockingbird when Scout says "Hey Boo" when she sees him hiding in the corner.

I was watching some shitty Texas game last year and turned it off in disgust, flipped to this movie.  My teenage son comes downstairs right at this scene and, without noticing I've changed the channel, says "Oh My God, are you crying about Texas!"

Told him to shut the fuck up and leave me alone.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5