Movie scenes that can almost give you allergies

closetohumping

On 3/27/2022 at 9:31 PM, freyguy said:

Still bawled my eyes out to Saving Private Ryan earlier today.  Senseless deaths, individuals begging for meaning in a FUBAR environment, bearing the burden of everyone else around you dying so that you can live on.  (sigh)

said it in another thread on here somewhere.  had no issue watching SPR in the theater, on cable or home video.  It showed the true random brutality of war in a way no other movie had done to that point.

that is until 2005 when I lost my WW2 vet grandfather, who had served in the Army Air Corps, returned back from several missions with missing and/or lost planemates.  He never really wanted to talk about any of it and SPR helped show why.

the very next time I watched it, and to this day even thinking about the very last scene when old Ryan drops to his knees crying, begging his wife to tell him that he had been a good man and that he had earned the right to live..... 

fuck  that just tore me up out of left field the first time it happened.   didnt realize why until later when I realized I had basically superimposed my grandfather in the place of Old Ryan.  And my brain still cant break that connection. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

Haven’t scrolled all the way up (and, he’ll, I might have already posted) but two for me:

- Rushmore - when Max introduces Herman Blume to his father. The reaction from Bill Murray is one of the most poignant 2 seconds I can think of in any film

- Braveheart - “freeeeedooooooooommm!”

- Full Monty - several scenes with the dad and son and with Dave feeling insecure and the reaction when the older guy doesn’t get the job because they pranked him. Great acting everywhere. Then it’s such a feel good ending. (Nttawwt?)

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

I know it was posted on the first page but that was just a quick meme.

If you follow the baseball board, you may have read my story about myself and my Dad always playing catch whenever we got together. After reading this topic today, I realized it is the first time I've watched this scene since his passing in December of '21. He was 86.

Not sorry for posting the extended scene for the full effect.

• Hook 'Em 2

so many crying scenes in this movie for me;

1) Cup of Tea Scene
2) Scene with Anne Bancroft - Mr. Merrick, you're not an elephant man at all. John Merrick : Oh no? Mrs. Kendal : Oh no... no... you're a Romeo.

3) Scene in the Theater

4) Final Scene as he lays down in bed to die.

the scene where his church model is destroyed and he is being abused doesnt make me cry, but goddamn does it piss me off like no other movie scene does.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

Look, nobody here is going to admit to being a fan of the Fast and the Furious franchise.  Shitty plot lines, overacting, cheesy AF dialogue, stunts that are so unrealistic that they may as well be from the Avengers series.  But, I found them to be entertaining for the most part, though admittedly a lot of times it was just background noise.  But the franchise is over 20 years old, you start to at least relate to the characters as you grow old with them.

Paul Walker died in real life I think during the shooting of Fast 7.  Final scene, the crew is sitting on the beach while watching Brian (Paul's character) and his wife play with their son.  Anyways, they were commenting how beautiful it was.  Al the years of doing crazy shit with cars and that was the scene that resonated with them and me.  Vince Diesel walks off without saying bye to the group and it shows him and another car, presumably Brian, who has been his partner in crime for 20 years, riding away from the beach to "till I see you again."  

Never thought Paul was a great actor but he played the part of Brian well.  And I'm a few years younger than him, but it hit home.  Not just that he died a tragic death in real life, but it puts into perspective that we're all getting old and what's important to us is taking care of our family.  All the other stuff, is just noise.  Great life experiences, but ultimately what's important to you is right in front of you.  Playing with your wife and son at the beach.  So yea, almost cried.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/3/2021 at 11:17 AM, BonzoMontreaux said:

Could cross post this in the 'Getting old sucks thread'...This movie is one of those I can watch but I don't make it a point to seek it out... like Deer Hunter or Schindler's List.  Whenever I catch the end scene(like once every few years), it hits me harder than the last time I saw it.  

Going way back.  I sat down and watched Parenthood for the first time since being a parent.  There's only about 10 scenes in that movie that get me now.  Weird, because as a young adult, it was 100% to me.  As a parent there's much deeper meaning.

• Hook 'Em 1

This scene in Terms of Endearment gets me every time because I lived it.  Same situation growing up.  Once, when I was about 11, and just now starting to realize that being a poor gets a hell of a lot harder when your friends become aware, I wanted to go roller skating.  Local rink (maybe Thunderbird?) in Richardson.  ALL of my friends were going.  Though we never had much, I didn't think that the $3-$4 the ticket cost would be prohibitive.  My mom, best friend, and I spent 3 hours ransacking our house for spare change.  That was bad enough.  Pouring the $4 in random pennies, dimes, and nickels out on the counter while all of my friends watched was worse.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

This scene in Terms of Endearment gets me every time because I lived it.  Same situation growing up.  Once, when I was about 11, and just now starting to realize that being a poor gets a hell of a lot harder when your friends become aware, I wanted to go roller skating.  Local rink (maybe Thunderbird?) in Richardson.  ALL of my friends were going.  Though we never had much, I didn't think that the $3-$4 the ticket cost would be prohibitive.  My mom, best friend, and I spent 3 hours ransacking our house for spare change.  That was bad enough.  Pouring the $4 in random pennies, dimes, and nickels out on the counter while all of my friends watched was worse.  

Wow.  Thanks for sharing man

• Hook 'Em 1

• 5 months later...
On 2/6/2023 at 5:35 PM, Knoxtnhorn said:

Pouring the $4 in random pennies, dimes, and nickels out on the counter while all of my friends watched was worse.  

I can relate. While waiting in line for zz top tickets we were kicked off the sidewalk and wandered into the strip joint next door.  After giving the stripper with the magic nipples my grocery sacker tips, I should have felt ashamed but I was incredibly turned on instead. 

49 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Jesus.  I have no idea what's going on, and it got me anyway.

she had seen a box that contained the necklace and assumed her gift was the necklace, but instead she got a shitty joni mitchell cd while the young chick from his work got the necklace.  she's excited to open it, but once she does she realizes that someone else got the necklace, so there's a lot going on that emma thompson nails, but mostly she's thinking that the judy collins version is far superior.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

she had seen a box that contained the necklace and assumed her gift was the necklace, but instead she got a shitty joni mitchell cd while the young chick from his work got the necklace.  she's excited to open it, but once she does she realizes that someone else got the necklace, so there's a lot going on that emma thompson nails, but mostly she's thinking that the judy collins version is far superior.

Lulz.  I was WAY off.  I saw them opening presents.  I thought she went into the recently empty room of a family member that had passed.

Emma Thompson acted the shit out of that scene. She just realized her husband may be having an affair, she briefly goes to her bedroom in shock, and in a moment when most would want confront their spouses with some amount of sadness and rage, she has to get her shit together for a kids’ Christmas performance.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, South Austin said:

Emma Thompson acted the shit out of that scene. She just realized her husband may be having an affair, she briefly goes to her bedroom in shock, and in a moment when most would want confront their spouses with some amount of sadness and rage, she has to get her shit together for a kids’ Christmas performance.

It's one of the many reasons that when scolds bag on Love Actually, they usually get a proper "fuck off" from the rest of us. 

• Hook 'Em 2

• 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

I watched Coco not long after my grandmother passed away. We were really close. I was watching with the kids and just walked out of the room. Couldn’t take it.

Didn't make me cry but when the main character in Luca was revealed to be a merman, and his friend, who he was arguing with, did everything he could to shield him, that was moving.

• 3 weeks later...

Il Postino. The main actor was dying from cancer as the film was being made. It’s been done many times, but the scene at the end when Pablo Neruda (Phillips Noiret) is on the beach and stares into the camera. 

Shoplifters - when the daughter is returned to her parents and the contrast between her created family and real family is heartbreaking.  

• Like 1