Dallas Cowboys 2021 Regular Season Thread -- Money, Masks, & Masochism

Patrick Bateman

1 hour ago, gsoda3 said:

hah i'm glad he's no longer here.  he was where he was supposed to be (in that gap) on this play but there he is again unable to shed a block.

that video is hilarious.  he's guessing/freelancing, not reading his keys, and refuses to attack. he might be in the right gap but he doesn't attack the blocker at all so instead of at least attacking one of the shoulders forcing the back to one gap or the other(usually the inside gap), he dances, retreats and gives the back a choice and makes the inside gap bigger in the process without even covering the outside gap.   Its literally bad Texas high school level linebacking.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Horn80 said:

Seems Cowboys haven’t much push up front ever since Fredrick got hurt/retired.

Agreed. Fred just dominated the middle of the line and was so damn good. We have taken a big step down at the center position. These short yardage situations are no longer easy to get. Hell, we had 1st and goal at the 1 and did not gain a damn yard. That is concerning. Especially in close games.

• Hook 'Em 1

Zeke is Dak's best friend on the team....he's not going anywhere.  Oh and that's before you even get into the fact that the dude has straight brought it in every facet of everything he is being asked to do this year.

I like Pollard a lot but I also think he benefits a lot from the punishment Zeke delivers in all things he does to a defense. 

Edited by Surly Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Am I the only one that thinks the only reason Greg the Leg missed the 2nd to last kick was because the Patriots guy was gonna block it? Greg saw him and it changed the kick.

He might have done that but I'd find it hard to believe because he's looking at the ball.  It might be a fortunate shank, to your point.

my issue with the leg is his ball moves all over the place and he's rarely in the center of the uprights even on short kicks.  he's at about 82% with the cowboys and has only missed 2 FG's inside 50 yards.  Over 50 is a disaster though. 

He's serviceable now but I really hope we don't have to rely on him in the playoffs.

30 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Vanderjagt comes to mind. Was on pace to be one of the best kickers ever and he completely shanked a game tying FG in the playoffs in 2005 against Pitt and he was never the same after that. I think he played with us that very next season, too. And he sucked. Nick Folk comes to mind here in Dallas. Was so money. That 50plus FG he made in Buffalo in 2007 on MNF was so fucking money. He made that kick dead center twice because Buffalo iced him during the kick. But then something flipped and he fell way the hell off.

Dan Bailey was the same way. Might have been injury but he became a liability. I think Zuerlein is better at the long kicks than Bailey was and then Bailey was much better at the shorter ones. Zuerlein makes me nervous but he has made some huge kicks this year. Took the lead against TB. Game winner against LAC. Game tying against NE. All of these were pretty long. Off the top of my head, it seemed Bailey missed so many of these long kicks. Especially with the game on the line.

Bailey is a strange case. he fell off the map.  he obviously had a mental issue with XP's in Minn.  He is 83 of 87 lifetime from 30-39 but missed 11 XP's in his 3 years at Minn and 6 in the last year.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, conVINCEd said:

IIRC, Bailey was great until he had some minor lower body injury and he changed his stroke to compensate for the injury.  Never the same.  Similar to Spieth and his golf swing.  You can find it again, as Spieth is showing, but it can be a long and winding road to get back.

Wasn’t Bailey the most accurate kicker of all time up until that injury? 

3 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Vanderjagt comes to mind. Was on pace to be one of the best kickers ever and he completely shanked a game tying FG in the playoffs in 2005 against Pitt and he was never the same after that. I think he played with us that very next season, too. And he sucked. Nick Folk comes to mind here in Dallas. Was so money. That 50plus FG he made in Buffalo in 2007 on MNF was so fucking money. He made that kick dead center twice because Buffalo iced him during the kick. But then something flipped and he fell way the hell off.

Dan Bailey was the same way. Might have been injury but he became a liability. I think Zuerlein is better at the long kicks than Bailey was and then Bailey was much better at the shorter ones. Zuerlein makes me nervous but he has made some huge kicks this year. Took the lead against TB. Game winner against LAC. Game tying against NE. All of these were pretty long. Off the top of my head, it seemed Bailey missed so many of these long kicks. Especially with the game on the line.

Nick Folk was out there yesterday converting XP's against us..what..12 years was it, after playing for us? I remember him being pretty solid for a very long time for the NYJ too, so it's not like he lost it here or he was broken. If we wouldn't have gotten Dan Bailey shortly after but instead had to cycle through a bunch of idiot kickers (s/o to Arch's uncle) then I think you would have heard a lot of second guessing on ole Nicky Folk.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

Nick Folk was out there yesterday converting XP's against us..what..12 years was it, after playing for us? I remember him being pretty solid for a very long time for the NYJ too, so it's not like he lost it here or he was broken. If we wouldn't have gotten Dan Bailey shortly after but instead had to cycle through a bunch of idiot kickers (s/o to Arch's uncle) then I think you would have heard a lot of second guessing on ole Nicky Folk.

Graham Gano went from being really good in Carolina, to broken, to being one of the most consistent kickers in the league for the giants. It’s a weird position that’s way too important to the outcome of the game lol

36 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

We should probably stay away from liquored up kickers.  It is a strange position.  Once they’re fucked in the head a change of scenery seems to be the only possible solution.

1 hour ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Graham Gano went from being really good in Carolina, to broken, to being one of the most consistent kickers in the league for the giants. It’s a weird position that’s way too important to the outcome of the game lol

Yep. It seems once a kicker goes off the rails, his only hope is to go somewhere new. Worked for Folk. Bailey redeemed himself in Minnesota. Well, except there was a game where I think he missed 4 or 5 kicks?

The thing with Zuerlein, is so many of his kicks give you raised blood pressure because of the hook he has. But he's nailed some huge kicks. We have the offense to make up for his missed kicks and now the defense is pitching in to get the ball back and even score themselves. That is all we ever needed. I'll give up yards in exchange for some turnovers and scoring plays from the defense.

1 hour ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Wow. This is great. First - Pats fans know their football. Second - hilarious to see Pats and Eagles fans admitting that Dak sneak was a TD.

Eagles I guess the refs thought he was carrying it between his ankles.

TheDoctorisrealin | 17:56EDT

I made almost this exact comment in the game thread except I said between his knees haha. 

Patriots I know it was a different team then, but Pats are 109-3 at home under BB when leading at halftime.......

poindexterregan | 18:04EDT

109-4.

Re kickers, I may have ranted here before on this, but I'm always astonished that there aren't 30 people on the entire planet capable of being solid consistent kickers. It pays more than 99.9% of corporate jobs, doesn't require a fraction of the physical training of other athletes, almost never have to take a hit or make a tackle, and from what I've seen on Hard Knocks, they just fart around most of the week compared to others. And the physical toll lets them play forever if they can avoid injury (from swinging their legs too hard)? There are 125 Division 1 college football teams, each with a starting kicker, another 170 or so in Division 2, and others in lower divisions. Soccer and Aussie football players are starting to get into the action. Yet only about 10-15 people at any given time can be considered good consistent NFL placekickers. The numbers are just weird to me, but I'm weird, and I probably came up with this rant while drinking. 

9 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Re kickers, I may have ranted here before on this, but I'm always astonished that there aren't 30 people on the entire planet capable of being solid consistent kickers. It pays more than 99.9% of corporate jobs, doesn't require a fraction of the physical training of other athletes, almost never have to take a hit or make a tackle, and from what I've seen on Hard Knocks, they just fart around most of the week compared to others. And the physical toll lets them play forever if they can avoid injury (from swinging their legs too hard)? There are 125 Division 1 college football teams, each with a starting kicker, another 170 or so in Division 2, and others in lower divisions. Soccer and Aussie football players are starting to get into the action. Yet only about 10-15 people at any given time can be considered good consistent NFL placekickers. The numbers are just weird to me, but I'm weird, and I probably came up with this rant while drinking. 

Stick around.  You'll fit in well here. 

1 hour ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

A lot of it is the snap and hold. If the ball was in the exact same/ perfect spot every time with no defenders interfering with the kick the percentages of makes would be higher. Then add on pressure.

Like how a ball on a tee is in the exact same place for a pga golfer, so they hit the fairway with their drives 99.9% of the time?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

The thing is, there are hundreds of people that can consistently make kicks in an empty stadium. The nfl is a whole new level of pressure. There’s so much parity in these games, every one of your kicks REALLY matters because of all the close games. And you have a team full of gladiators, and you have to look them in the face every time you miss a big kick. I’d never want to be a kicker. Punter, sure. But kicking is a ton of pressure. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/18/2021 at 3:18 PM, youdunnf'dup said:

I don’t think we have a kicker problem. He’s not what he used to be, but when I look at the kicking woes across the league, I think ours is pretty much league average. All kicks are important, but he tends to make the most important ones, so I’ll give him that.

Pretty much this. There's like 5 really dependable guys, if that...and if you're not getting a sure fire upgrade, there's no reason to shake things up.

22 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

That has happened a lot this year it seemed. This OL just can't get a push up front. 

They were the best 3rd and 1/4th and 1 team going into yesterday...so that's probably more just a "I think it's this way" than it actually is.

22 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

Zeke is Dak's best friend on the team....he's not going anywhere.  Oh and that's before you even get into the fact that the dude has straight brought it in every facet of everything he is being asked to do this year.

I like Pollard a lot but I also think he benefits a lot from the punishment Zeke delivers in all things he does to a defense. 

Yep, gotta give Zeke credit, and Pollard.  They have really bought into all this.

40 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Dumb ass. 

FB_IMG_1634677780828.jpg

90's vibes babay!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1