2021 US Open tennis

shadow_operative2.0

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

Alcaraz is doing well, Tsitsipas is moving gingerly, and the kid is up a break in the 2nd set as well.

Tsitsipas called the trainer out, but he hurt something approaching the net in the previous game. It's either his foot (blisters) or a muscle in his leg. 

I feel fairly strongly that he's going to lose. I don't think that he will be able to overcomes _______ and get back in the match. And the crowd definitely wants the kid to win.

THIS WAS JUST A LITTLE PREMATURE!!

Tsitsipas turned it around in the 2nd set and won. Don't know what happened to his foot when he called the trainer between the 1st & 2nd set (that had to do with tape on both feet/ankles).

Now Tsitsipas is up 5-2 in the 3rd set and is serving. Second set point coming up. And now Alcaraz has a set break point... AND BREAKS!!

5-3 and Alcaraz is now serving down 3-5.

Sloane Stephens wins the first set against Kerber 7-5 after double faulting on set point at about 5-2 or 5-3.

Edited by Napoleon

Fuck Tsitsipas and his cheating fucking dad!!!

For those not watching:

-Tsitsipas serving for the 3rd set at 5-2 and then gets broken.
-Alcaraz wins, then breaks again. 5-5
-Tsitsipas has a couple or three breakpoints, but Alacaraz holds. 6-5
-Tsitsipas holds 6-6... time for a tiebreaker.

SIDE NOTE: Crowd is roaring support for Alcaraz... occasional light applause for nice play from Tsitsipas.

Tiebreaker:

-Alcaraz jumps out to a 4-1 lead.
-Cheating father Tsitsipas gives some hand signals to Stefi.
-Chair Umpire is watching and just after Brad Gilbert predicts a soft warning about coaching during the changeover after the next point, the Chair Umpire announce an official coaching violation warning.
-Tsitsipas loses the next point and there is a changeover.
-Alcaraz wins two more points, crowd erupts, Alcaraza does a Nadal-esque first pump with a VAMOS!!

Tsitsipas goes off court for a bathroom break, but supposedly only took about 4+ minutes rather than 7+ minutes. Alcaraz not being in his 30s means that his body is less likely to tighten up like Tsitsipas'  30+ year-old opponents in the first 2 rounds.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

She looked REALLY out of shape too. 

She’s a Serena Williams starter kit in the weight/fitness category. 

I like her, but she is about 23 and is built like Serena at age 30. Not a good trajectory. 

Women’s tennis has a lot of challengers for every tournament. Lots of Grand Slam past winners still in the tournament.

2 hours ago, Hefeweizen said:

Osaka folded like a cheap tent after serving for the match in the second.  She is so fragile mentally.  I don’t mean to make fun, she needs a good sports psychologist to help her.  Her talent is so apparent.

She's a train wreck right now.

This whole Osaka thing is bizarre. I'm plenty sympathetic to mental health issues but if you're going to be a professional athlete you need to, you know, be a professional. She comes across as if she thinks she is terminally unique and not culpable for anything because of some nebulous issue. 

Typically you need to be willing to help yourself before others are willing to help you. If playing tennis is too much for her then she needs to take a serious break. If being away from the game is more painful then she needs to learn how to navigate it better. The circus she is putting on is ridiculous and a disservice to her peers. 

• Hook 'Em 2

12 hours ago, ztejas said:

This whole Osaka thing is bizarre. I'm plenty sympathetic to mental health issues but if you're going to be a professional athlete you need to, you know, be a professional. She comes across as if she thinks she is terminally unique and not culpable for anything because of some nebulous issue. 

Typically you need to be willing to help yourself before others are willing to help you. If playing tennis is too much for her then she needs to take a serious break. If being away from the game is more painful then she needs to learn how to navigate it better. The circus she is putting on is ridiculous and a disservice to her peers. 

Agreed. It’s weird to me how mentally fragile and in such a weak state of mind she’s been in lately. I think seeing a good sports therapist and a break is probably the smart move and she’s seeing it as well. Hope she gets the help she needs.

Elina has looked physically different the last month or so. She looks slimmmer and stronger. Maybe even a tad taller.

I started watching a lot at the end of 2019/start of 2020. I missed Elina's best run and wondered why she was ranked so high during COVID assisted rankings 2020, because she looked like a solid backboard who should have a ceiling of: Losing a 250 Final, Losing a 500 Semifinal, Losing a 1000 Quarterfinal, and probably never reaching a Grand Slam Quarterfinal, but maybe she could surprise.

She was a solid "B", with a few "B+ shots" in a match, but no more than 3 or 4.

Since winner her Bronze Medal, she seems to have up her game a notch at each level with a slim window to even two levels if everything falls perfectly.

Now she smokes a not quite 100% Halep who has still beaten some women who are playing well combined with the Top Seeds all being out and you realize that anything can happen. From Svitolina to Raducanu, there's no telling this year.

5 minutes ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Little garlic & butter on that breadstick in the first, but Novak may return the favor here shortly. 

Yeah, you can see it coming.  Brooksby is probably going to relax a bit and Djoker is going to apply the pressure. 

As long as the kid realizes he can hang with Novak he'll be OK over the long haul.  But Djoker was spraying balls all over the place in the first set and it's not likely that's going to continue.  

Such a great match so far if you’re a fan of an underdog. Most enjoyable round of 16 in this tourney I’ve watched. Yeah Novak with errors still enjoyable. This kid still has pimples on his face!  In a deuce loop at 3-1 in the 2nd. Wow.

novak is winning this second set only because of his first serve winners and aces which isn’t to knock that but to say this kid is playing well. when both are playing well the kid can hang. the rallies have been impressive.  His anticipation has been great. I’m a fan.

Edited by troph