COVID FAFO Roll Call

MaybeACoordinator

2 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

I give parents in these situations a wide berth.  If it were my dumbass child there, I’d be screaming to whoever, wherever to save my kid’s life.  I’d be screaming to the media about the injustice of it all and then I’d be screaming at my kid to get the fucking shot at the next visiting hours. My hypocrisy and irrationality would know no bounds in my efforts to get my child a new heart regardless of whether it was deserved.

I can understand this....but

2 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

I might only balk at actually murdering someone for a heart,

ryan reynolds hd GIF

20 hours ago, Bojack said:

I was born in '73.  I remember it well.  I've always been a Rockets fan so fuck Larry Bird for '86. Fuck Magic Johnson on behalf of the Western Conference throughout the '80s. Fuck Danny Ainge most especially for the time he threw the ball at Mario Elie's face.  Fuck John Stockton for being a dirty rat bastard.  Fuck Karl Malone going all the way back to his La. Tech days since I grew up going to Lamar basketball games and they had quite a rivalry in the Billy Tubbs, Pat Foster era following Lamar's trip to the Sweet 16 back in '80.  Fuck Karl for impregnating a 12 year old.  Fuck Stockton for being an even bigger contrarian conspiracy dumbshit than Kyrie.  I had reasons for disliking all of them even though I no longer have anything against Bird or Magic.  The rest named in my rant still suck and will always suck.  

I mean this is a pretty high quality rant right here. I never thought I would get to see Stockton and Kyrie in the same rant for both being conspiracy nuts, but here we are. What a world we live in where one guy believes the earth is flat and won’t get a vaccine because reasons and the other has brain worms and thinks athletes are dropping dead all around the world.

Magic was my childhood hero, but other than that no issue with including him since he and the Showtime Lakers quite literally ran an entire conference for a solid decade. I mean if I were a fan of a team in the West at that time I would have probably hated the Lakers almost as much as fans of THOSE GUYS hated the Lakers.

Edited by UpperWestside
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 1/26/2022 at 1:00 AM, 956 Worldwide said:

https://boston.cbslocal.com/2022/01/24/covid-19-vaccine-heart-transplant-boston-brigham-womens/?fbclid=IwAR15E2jxM-PdSNCarxHW9Qf2l3KyGzXpkO8nyD0UxKc5_avStHwHr4GOXGg

Dude won't get vaccinated so he won't be given a heart transplant.  Family members talking to the media are "proud he is sticking to his guns."

Goodbye GIF

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Goodbye GIF

I cannot fathom how this person would readily choose death over surviving and helping to raise his family. As much as I enjoy dissecting the human mind and better understanding it each day, I just have zero interest right now in even giving such an inherently selfish human being any kind of attention. Those children deserve far better than what they are getting and the emotional wounds they will have if he dies will go well into adulthood for them. But you know “mah freedoms!” are more important than parental obligations. 

• Hook 'Em 2

20 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

I cannot fathom how this person would readily choose death over surviving and helping to raise his family. As much as I enjoy dissecting the human mind and better understanding it each day, I just have zero interest right now in even giving such an inherently selfish human being any kind of attention. Those children deserve far better than what they are getting and the emotional wounds they will have if he dies will go well into adulthood for them. But you know “mah freedoms!” are more important than parental obligations. 

But he's going to be hanging out with Jesus and owning the libs.  How can life on Earth and seeing his kids grow up compete with that?

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/24/2022 at 11:12 PM, Lobo said:

However, "I really liked their music", was said by nobody.  ever.  not even goebbels.  I did not have neo-Nazi metal bands on my 2022 bingo card.  

Catching up on this thread:

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-austria-orchestra-nazis-idUKLNE92A00O20130311

Spoiler

VIENNA (Reuters) - The famed Vienna Philharmonic has acknowledged that many of its musicians were Nazi party members during Hitler’s rule and that its director may have delivered a prestigious orchestra award to a Nazi war criminal two decades after the end of World War Two.

The orchestra, which has come under fire for covering up its history, on Sunday night published details for the first time about its conduct during the Nazi era, including biographies of Jewish members who were driven out and sent to death camps.

Austria took until 1991, more than four decades after the war’s end, to formally acknowledge and voice regret for its central role in Hitler’s Third Reich and Holocaust.

The Alpine republic will solemnly mark the 75th anniversary on Tuesday of its annexation by Nazi Germany, an event most Austrians at the time welcomed.

One of the world’s premier orchestras, the Vienna Philharmonic is most popularly known for its annual New Year’s Concert, a Strauss waltz extravaganza that is broadcast to an audience of more than 50 million in 80 countries.

Less well known is the fact that the concert originated as a propaganda instrument under Nazi rule in 1939. The orchestra rarely played the music of the Strauss family, known for the “Blue Danube” and numerous other waltzes, before this period.

On Sunday, the orchestra published a list of recipients of its rings of honour and medals, which were traditionally given to artists but during the Nazi period were given to high-ranking officials and military leaders.

Baldur von Schirach, a Nazi governor of Vienna who oversaw the deportation of tens of thousands of Jews to concentration camps and was sentenced to 20 years in jail by the Nuremberg war crimes tribunal after the war, was awarded the ring in 1942.

According to a reliable witness, the person who delivered the replacement was trumpeter Helmut Wobisch, then the director of the orchestra and a former member of the SS, or paramilitary wing, of the Nazi party, Rathkolb’s article says.

The Vienna Philharmonic’s current chairman, Clemens Hellsberg, told Reuters the orchestra would now have to take a democratic decision as to whether to revoke the awards it made to the Nazis during that period.

A total of 60 of the orchestra’s 123 members were either members of the Nazi party or wanted to become members as of 1942, in the middle of World War Two, the orchestra said on Sunday. Two were members of the SS.

• Rage+1 1

9 minutes ago, Mole said:

Catching up on this thread:

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-austria-orchestra-nazis-idUKLNE92A00O20130311

Reveal hidden contents

VIENNA (Reuters) - The famed Vienna Philharmonic has acknowledged that many of its musicians were Nazi party members during Hitler’s rule and that its director may have delivered a prestigious orchestra award to a Nazi war criminal two decades after the end of World War Two.

The orchestra, which has come under fire for covering up its history, on Sunday night published details for the first time about its conduct during the Nazi era, including biographies of Jewish members who were driven out and sent to death camps.

Austria took until 1991, more than four decades after the war’s end, to formally acknowledge and voice regret for its central role in Hitler’s Third Reich and Holocaust.

The Alpine republic will solemnly mark the 75th anniversary on Tuesday of its annexation by Nazi Germany, an event most Austrians at the time welcomed.

One of the world’s premier orchestras, the Vienna Philharmonic is most popularly known for its annual New Year’s Concert, a Strauss waltz extravaganza that is broadcast to an audience of more than 50 million in 80 countries.

Less well known is the fact that the concert originated as a propaganda instrument under Nazi rule in 1939. The orchestra rarely played the music of the Strauss family, known for the “Blue Danube” and numerous other waltzes, before this period.

On Sunday, the orchestra published a list of recipients of its rings of honour and medals, which were traditionally given to artists but during the Nazi period were given to high-ranking officials and military leaders.

Baldur von Schirach, a Nazi governor of Vienna who oversaw the deportation of tens of thousands of Jews to concentration camps and was sentenced to 20 years in jail by the Nuremberg war crimes tribunal after the war, was awarded the ring in 1942.

According to a reliable witness, the person who delivered the replacement was trumpeter Helmut Wobisch, then the director of the orchestra and a former member of the SS, or paramilitary wing, of the Nazi party, Rathkolb’s article says.

The Vienna Philharmonic’s current chairman, Clemens Hellsberg, told Reuters the orchestra would now have to take a democratic decision as to whether to revoke the awards it made to the Nazis during that period.

A total of 60 of the orchestra’s 123 members were either members of the Nazi party or wanted to become members as of 1942, in the middle of World War Two, the orchestra said on Sunday. Two were members of the SS.

They were just following directions.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

UPDATE: so my uncle died. His service will be in 2 weeks…so what is that side of the family doing between now and then?

If you guessed going on a Disney cruise you win the prize.

We are living in a simulation.

evolution haters GIF

Jesus man, I am sorry that your family is being made to endure their idiocy. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Maybe his kids are grade-A dickheads as well.  Have you met them?

They could be, but if they are that would not be their fault. I’m not going to think badly of the kids in this situation.  I just hope they have at least one adult in their life that will give them some positive direction. Every child deserves people around them that help further their growth emotionally. I just worry that we will have hundreds of thousands of kids in similar situations who are going to suffer because of the decisions made by the people who are supposed to love and care for them the most, but instead make insanely selfish decisions.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

I was actually a Kareem fan

So, maybe 10 or 15 years ago, me and the fam were in Fort Davis the town in Big Bend/West Texas, which is named after the actual Fort Davis, which was a cavalry fort back in the 1800s, which protected people traveling an old road from San Antonio or Austin to El Paso.

The fort stationed black soldiers (the so-called "buffalo soldiers"). On the grounds of the old fort, you can walk around and see the barracks, blah blah blah. In the visitor center, you can go into this media room and watch a short video about the fort and the buffalo soldiers.

Me and my wife go in there, the lights go down, and this black guy wearing an 1800's era cavalry uniform comes on and starts talking, and I think "Is that Kareem?" Sure enough, Kareem Abdul Jabbar was in a video about Fort Davis and the buffalo soldiers who stationed there. In West Texas.

I guess he was arrested for drunk driving or something, and this was his community service, I dunno. Just kind of random.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

UPDATE: so my uncle died. His service will be in 2 weeks…so what is that side of the family doing between now and then?

Sorry to hear it.

I know it's not the same but your post reminded me of this scene. 

3 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Maybe he got Covid so he wouldn't have to go on a Disney cruise. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 5

16 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Well, duh.  But I assure you of this -- we have invested incredible amounts in maintaining our properties to provide the very best orphanage experience.

prinkipo-orphanage-9.jpg

You've overpaid. Look at that fucking view. That's prime real estate. I guess nothing but the best for the children?

16 hours ago, Lobo said:

I can't imagine why people call you creepy.

I mean, those same people generally say you're mentally unhinged as well, so...

But not me. I like both of you guys. 

12 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Bolded is absolutely wrong.  I talked to one of the park rangers there about it.  He said that Kareem called them up out of the blue and said that he had a huge interest in the buffalo soldiers and that he'd like work on the project.  They said, "We'd love to have you, but we can't pay you."  He said No big deal, bought his own plane ticket to El Paso, rented his own car, and spent a week living in the Hotel Limpia on his own dime.  

I have to admit, there are times when I have no idea whether you are serious or just spouting fiction.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Bolded is absolutely wrong.  I talked to one of the park rangers there about it.  He said that Kareem called them up out of the blue and said that he had a huge interest in the buffalo soldiers and that he'd like work on the project.  They said, "We'd love to have you, but we can't pay you."  He said No big deal, bought his own plane ticket to El Paso, rented his own car, and spent a week living in the Hotel Limpia on his own dime.  

good for him. Get him on here so I can pos rep him.

Also,

themoreyouknow.pic

• Like 1

11 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

So, maybe 10 or 15 years ago, me and the fam were in Fort Davis the town in Big Bend/West Texas, which is named after the actual Fort Davis, which was a cavalry fort back in the 1800s, which protected people traveling an old road from San Antonio or Austin to El Paso.

The fort stationed black soldiers (the so-called "buffalo soldiers"). On the grounds of the old fort, you can walk around and see the barracks, blah blah blah. In the visitor center, you can go into this media room and watch a short video about the fort and the buffalo soldiers.

Me and my wife go in there, the lights go down, and this black guy wearing an 1800's era cavalry uniform comes on and starts talking, and I think "Is that Kareem?" Sure enough, Kareem Abdul Jabbar was in a video about Fort Davis and the buffalo soldiers who stationed there. In West Texas.

I guess he was arrested for drunk driving or something, and this was his community service, I dunno. Just kind of random.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, HenryJames said:

I'm going to set up a gofuckyou website where you can donate to shit that would really pissed off the dead person.

1 hour ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

You are joking, but that is actually a really good idea.  I'd set up go fuck you's for all kinds of people.

I mean.....you're not wrong.  That really does have actual potential.  Holy shit.