COVID FAFO Roll Call

MaybeACoordinator

Hey, Skip, the shots not only slow transmission rates, they mitigate the damage caused by the virus. Given that multiple infections can lead to more serious outcomes, I think the benefit of shots for tots is mostly about trying to limit the damage caused by what will likely be a dozen (more?) infections before the age of thirty.

There were folks convinced herd mentality would be a thing. They were wrong. You seem convinced that contracting Covid isn’t harmful for healthy kids. What if you’re wrong? Again, there is evidence multiple infections can have a cumulative effect. 

I’m sorry the boosters were tough on you. I am lucky, neither the vid, or flu, or any other vax, was particularly tough for me. Maybe that’s why I’d urge parents to err on the side of caution. Which, as you seem to criticize, is trusting the doctors.

It continues to astonish me (a) how ignorant people are of this disease and (b) how ignorant they are as to what effort it would take to make it less lethal.

It's difficult to get Americans to stop eating junk food, to stop smoking, to start exercising, etc.  Getting a couple of shots per year?  Crimony.  "We" are what we are.

5 hours ago, Superhero said:

People are still dying from Covid?

One of my best friends, his uncle died from it recently (overweight, diabetic, smoker), his aunt's currently in the hospital (overweight).  They may have had it early last year, but they also live on a farm and were big on avoiding people (even though they claimed not to be believe it) and were able to avoid people.

They were big anti-vaccine fans, and played up horse paste when Trump was in office (or is still in office if you're qanon).  Their daughter scrubbed their Facebook pages after they went in the hospital.  Don't know if it was her mom's idea or she was embarrassed by all of the "COVID ISN'T REAL" turning into "pray for me and my husband, he's in the hospital and I'm really sick" posts a year or two later.

I've mentioned it before, but the book "Chaos Machines" really caused me to re-evaluate my attitude during some of those peak "Hermain Cain award" moments.  There are multiple factors, but the very nature of social media imo is the reason many are dead.  And of course Trump politicizing it on his end.  But even then, I'm pretty convinced that Facebook and twitter bear the greatest responsbilty.  

Just because people are dupes doesn't mean it is good to dupe them or that they deserved horrible deaths.

Edited by MC Fresh Breath
wth spell check?
  • Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

I've mentioned it before, but the book "Chaos Machines" really caused me to re-evaluate my attitude during some of those peak "Hermain Cain award" moments.  There are multiple factors, but the very nature of social media imo is the reason many are dead.  And of course Trump politicizing it on his end.  But even then, I'm pretty convinced that Facebook and twitter bear the greatest responsbilty.  

Just because people are dupes doesn't mean it is good to dupe them or that they deserved horrible deaths.

i don't think you'll find much disagreement that ignorant simpletons being bamboozled into self-destructive decisions and behaviors do not warrant a type of shadenfreude that is being discussed.  it is a loss of life and sympathy ultimately should be the humanizing response to any tragedy along those lines.  however, when the key inputs into the machinations of the misinformation and abuse of things like social media platforms - not to mention public political figures who leverage it for opportunism - ultimately display an attitude that so hostilely rejects that same human empathy and sense of what's best for the community in order to make their own uninformed (what they believe to be) political statements then suffer the consequences of those prideful demonstrations of stupidity, it is hard to blame those machinations when it was the type of confirmation bias they sought in the first place.  that is not to hold blameless the enabling interfaces and their business models that serve to feed you that confirmation bias...but ultimately the inputs and the manipulation is driven by human stupidity.  when a radio host tries to garner market share towards people he or she knows are morons like a maga crowd by saying insanely stupid and unfounded shit...amplifying the misinformation...there is virtually no sympathy when it is the irony that figuratively kills them.

like fisher's case study in the text you reference, it isn't the morons in myanmar that elicit shadenfreude, it was the extremists pumping out the misinformation meeting their demise that brings some (admittedly perverse) sense of satisfaction.  in that case of genocide, i would not have minded if they all met an unfortunate demise.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

Would not rule out  Am certain that there is some disability angle that this asshole is grifting on by blaming long Covid .

Fixed to assert the R tautology.

Odds are that numerous members of Congress have the long-rona.

(Read some good news on the subject. (Some) folks are recovering from long covid).

Edited by Willfully Horn
Edit
  • Haha 1

So we're using reverse psychology to trick MAGA into not taking the vaccine so they die off quicker?  

How do I know this isn't MAGA and John Nolte using reverse-reverse psychology to trick me into taking the vaccine and succumbing all of its fatal side-effects? 

But what if caving to that pressure, I still take the vaccine and insist everybody, but MAGA take it?  Going back to our original long-game?  

You see where this circular logic leads, don't you John?  Just a closed loop of trying to disprove negatives.  

How is it in an extended family with Nick in it, Mr. Nolte...you're still considered the fucking 'crazy' one?  

• Hook 'Em 3

55 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

oh shit, they figured it out!

Nope, it turns out they wound me up to wind them up to wind us up so we'd wind them other ones up leaving the first "they/them" in power of the MAGA nation after all.  Though there's a 50/50 shot even that's a scam long-con.  Of course, there's only a 10% chance of that. 

On 2/25/2023 at 9:06 PM, brakeman said:

It's delicious, fewer masks and more indoor dining. 

Tralalalal la!

We don't want want to admit we were wrong so we will act against our own self-interest and blame the people who were telling us so.

???

I don't know. That seems really outta character for y'all. 

20 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Nope, it turns out they wound me up to wind them up to wind us up so we'd wind them other ones up leaving the first "they/them" in power of the MAGA nation after all.  Though there's a 50/50 shot even that's a scam long-con.  Of course, there's only a 10% chance of that. 

charlie-day-its-always-sunny-in-philadel

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

Craziest part of that story are those who are like, "I started taking this and I have 1,000 things wrong with me that weren't before, what should I do?"  

What the fuck you mean what should you do?  What you should do is stop being a stupid idiot, you moron.

They are committed ... or should be committed ... either way:

“No one can convince me that he died because of ivermectin,” one member wrote this week. “He ultimately died because of our failed western medicine which only cares about profits and not the cure.”

DlDNnZ9W4AASU4-.jpg

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, brown water said:

These fucking idiots deserve what they get and we are better off without them 

That's really the take away for me. These people are so fucking stupid, we need them out of the gene pool. Double up on your dosages boys. 

11 minutes ago, Blotto said:

That's really the take away for me. These people are so fucking stupid, we need them out of the gene pool. Double up on your dosages boys. 

Haven't you been paying attention? It's more likely the horse dewormer actually makes them more virile and we end up with even more of these idiots

Serious question---what do you more maths/science guys guesstimate this country lost in the last three years to:

Refusal to mitigate/vaccinate/took dangerous meds&chems?  I'm guessing it's gotta be a few hundred thousand?  

5 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Serious question---what do you more maths/science guys guesstimate this country lost in the last three years to:

Refusal to mitigate/vaccinate/took dangerous meds&chems?  I'm guessing it's gotta be a few hundred thousand?  

The vaccine rollout was a pretty steady climb over the first 6 months of 2021.  I would posit that most people who wanted the vaccine had received at least one dose by July of that year.  Since that point, roughly 525,000 Americans have died of covid, so that's my guess (maybe a little less, call it a half million).

right, but I'm wondering if anybody's put a scientific pin in it to sorta figure how many died that didn't need to, or at least died before their time due to refusal to mitigate/lockdown/vaccinate/took stupid shit?  I know it's a tough figure to arrive at, but surely after three years, somebody smart has taken a crack at it?  Yes, we're all gonna die...but who died before they should have 'cause of stubborness/stupidity?