Texas Football 2021 In-Season Thread: Can we get a redo?

BurntOrange&White

1 hour ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Re posting this from the other Sark thread.

I am not a Sark apologist but the talent on this team sucks, period.  You could have Saban, Meyer, Swinney and Belichick all on the coaching staff and guess what, the O line would still suck, the WR’s would still not be able to catch the ball or break away and the QB would be mediocre at best.  Bijan would still be incredible no matter who the coach is.  It is hard to call an offense when you can’t run or pass block.  I have watched plenty of Patriots games over the last 20 years and even Belichick and Brady at QB looked like shit when the O line was horrific.   The Horns line is the worst I have seen in my 30 plus years watching this team.   The D is just as bad when it comes to talent.  Maybe just maybe they can’t tackle or take good angles not because of the coaches but because they are slow, weak and not that talented overall.  Show me the players on D that would start at any Top 25 school in the country?  Show me the offensive players on this team that would start at any Top 25 school in the country.  Bet you can count the number on one hand and if you take Bijan out of the equation there may not be any.  Think about that for a second.  Not a handful of players that would start for any other top teams but we expect Sark to magically make them good?  Now if Sark doesn’t bring in better payers in the next 12 months then yes, he sucks and will be fired after 3-4 years.  

So you are saying football in the state of Texas is the fraud?  A lot of the players on this team were 4 star or above ranked players.  I bet Gary Patterson, Gundy, Riley, Rhule, Briles, etc could find a way to make these punks man up and play up to their ranking.  I think the soft culture at Texas is the entire problem...A lot of the players they get look better as raw freshman than they do after they have been in the program a couple of years...Something is turning them into panty waists here.  Figure out what that is, get rid of it, and a lot of problems will be solved...

2 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Tom2.0

He's not Herman. If he fails it's for different reasons than what mad Tom, Tom. Don't be lazy.

Just now, chemHORN said:

Did you watch the game today?  Or last week?  

Yes, now explain. I don't see guys overlooking the game for the NFL. I see guys out of shape and poorly trained to execute on the field. For that I blame Sark and Tom Herman

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Azbadlands said:

So you are saying football in the state of Texas is the fraud?  A lot of the players on this team were 4 star or above ranked players.  I bet Gary Patterson, Gundy, Riley, Rhule, Briles, etc could find a way to make these punks man up and play up to their ranking.  I think the soft culture at Texas is the entire problem...A lot of the players they get look better as raw freshman than they do after they have been in the program a couple of years...Something is turning them into panty waists here.  Figure out what that is, get rid of it, and a lot of problems will be solved...

Both of the bolded portions, far moreso than we want to admit.

Many of the things we love about Austin and UT are huge liabilities to instilling a sense of dog toughness. That's not going to change too much, and it can be managed well by someone who finds a groove. I hope Sark turns into that guy.

• Hook 'Em 3

Just now, Azbadlands said:

We haven't been recruiting well in the front 7 for a awhile. Orlando damn near abandoned LB recruiting. We picked up a bunch of transfers who were bottom barrel depth at their other schools and they are some of our better players already.

We weren't able to land any OL transfers worth pursuing, and I imagine that will be objective number 1 this offseason.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Many of the things we love about Austin and UT are huge liabilities to instilling a sense of dog toughness. That's not going to change too much, and it can be managed well by someone who finds a groove. I hope Sark turns into that guy.

5qolpj.gif

Edited by LTtxfan

2 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

The problem is so many guys life’s dream at 18 is to be at Texas. It’s not to play, it’s not to start, it’s not to be the best. It’s to be here and get the benefits. I want guys who had no dreams of being here and being 3 and out to the NFL, and then prove it.

This isn't 7-10 years ago.

Most of these guys dream about playing for Bama, LSU, Ohio State, etc. For most of the top guys in Texas, we only seem to be a fall back option. These guys want to win and get developed to make the league and many don't believe they can do that here.

Just look at Terrence Brooks'/Quinn Ewers' recruitment and tell me these kids dream of coming here outweighs their dreams of long term success.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Azbadlands said:

Then it's the school. It's never going to change.

15 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

Blaming Mack and Charlie for Oline recruiting at this point is fucking retarded, and I will not stand by and let anyone’s retarded children be offended by that comment.

How? We struck out on one of the deepest Texas O-line classes in recent memory. If Turtle did at least different, our O-line could’ve been clicking at this point. This is 100% on Turtle

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Azbadlands said:

Well, first off, we're talking about other than skill players.  There's been a consensus that Texas doesn't produce quality linebackers and seems to be emerging similarly as to OL.

Gundy has always recruited well on his lines and that has transcended multiple OL coaches.  Same could be said about the other coaches, too, especially in their "areas of strength," e.g. Patterson and defense.  We all know that star ratings are biased to winning programs at bigger schools, but those don't necessarily produce the best talent at non-skill positions.

It may actually be easier to evaluate the 3 and 4 star players that "lesser programs" can recruit than the 4 and 5 that Texas is "forced" to recruit (meaning most of us groan when its a 3-star, or a 4 from a smaller or less winning program).  By "forced," I mean that regardless of any importance actually accorded to recruiting rankings, Texas mostly selects among 4 and 5 star or top 100 players, which in turn tends to mean from bigger classifications and winning programs, which may actually mask deficiencies.  And, those players may be coached about as high as they can go already, despite their "measureables."

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Both of the bolded portions, far moreso than we want to admit.

You should post more in football.  Good shit.

26 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I assumed that this type of thinking was what made Herman into Turtle Tom.  He was a bit more overt and asinine about it with the "impose our will."

But I also have this suspicion that Sarkisian schemes like a madman to overcome our deficiencies and has nothing left for the second half.  I suppose he could try scheming like a madman for the first quarter and leaving something for the third and hope that momentum and fresh legs carry us through the second.

It really seems like these coordinators that come from Top 5 programs have a really difficult time wrapping their head around how fucked is our roster.  That would seem to me, and probably all of us, to be immediately apparent, but maybe it's not until you get on the field in real competition.  I don't think Herman ever quite got it, or overestimated/misevaluated his own recruits.  I guess we'll see with Sarkisian.

In a way, it makes some sense.  They're expecting a step down in talent just because "not Bama," or "not tOSU."  So they see the dogshit and think, well, so this is the Big XII, eh, so be it.  Not realizing that it really is objectively shitty, even in comparison to the lowly Big XII.

Exactly. You made my point better than I did. 

8 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Also, the kids we are recruiting have only known Texas to be crappy at football.

The good Mack years are ancient history to them and none of them remember 2005.

So true. A recent Aggie grad I hired was so happy last week and tried to talk shit. 

I told him when I was his age we won Championship in football, baseball and final four in basketball. 

he called me an old man :(

Edited by Xian
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 2

No. recruit the biggest, dumbest, strongest, non-church bitches you can think of

Won’t go to this extreme but you have a point. We are seeming to try to be like Stanford, Northwestern,and Notre Dame(they are changing their recruiting now), recruiting smart choirboys who are ranked highly but have no dog in them. They back down and fold easily and really don’t give a fuck but to just finish the game so they can go about their days. They have other interests and goals other than the NFL whether it be academic, partying, etc but it seems like our culture encourages softness. How many true freshman with the “dog” mentality have regressed their ladder years since the VY years? A lot.

All that bloviating to say that we need to recruit more pipe swinging players from the hood and the country.

Lulz at using a lack of talent as our primary issue. Thats such a chicken shit deflection for Sark's struggles to this point. Are we the most talented team in the country? Fuck no. But we had enough talent to somehow be dominating two undefeated teams heading into the 4th qtr. Did we switch out all 85+ players for the end of each game?

image.thumb.png.59a3fe1f290854bc57acdba9ac55b1a0.png

I don't know if its because our conditioning program is crap, or if our players are soft as baby shit, or if our coaches are mentally handicapped, or a combo of all those things. But a lack of talent doesn't excuse blowing two late leads in the fashion that we did. 

• Hook 'Em 4

Just now, Stunns38 said:

Won’t go to this extreme but you have a point. We are seeming to try to be like Stanford, Northwestern,and Notre Dame(they are changing their recruiting now), recruiting smart choirboys who are ranked highly but have no dog in them. They back down and fold easily and really don’t give a fuck but to just finish the game so they can go about their days. They have other interests and goals other than the NFL whether it be academic, partying, etc but it seems like our culture encourages softness. How many true freshman with the “dog” mentality have regressed their ladder years since the VY years? A lot.

All that bloviating to say that we need to recruit more pipe swinging players from the hood and the country.

Who can stay in school. That's important.

8 minutes ago, Gucci_Suit said:

Exactly. You made my point better than I did. 

I just elaborated on it.  I think Herman's was borne of an innate stubbornness and arrogance, pushed along by his stint at tOSU.

Some others may come by it more naturally, that is, rather than being personally stubborn or arrogant, they come from programs that can afford to be arrogant.  Hopefully, if Sarkisian is one of those, he can snap out of it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Lulz at using a lack of talent as our primary issue. Thats such a chicken shit deflection for Sark's struggles to this point. Are we the most talented team in the country? Fuck no. But we had enough talent to somehow be dominating two undefeated teams heading into the 4th qtr. Did we switch out all 85+ players for the end of each game?

I don't know if its because our conditioning program is crap, or if our players are soft as baby shit, or if our coaches are mentally handicapped, or a combo of all those things. But a lack of talent doesn't excuse blowing two late leads in the fashion that we did. 

we have lack of talent at oline and have for 15 years.

3 minutes ago, Blotto said:

As if I needed any more proof of how much I've checked out of college football, I had no idea that Oklahoma State was undefeated and ranked 12.

10 minutes ago, Blotto said:

our coaches are pussy soft Pac 12 guys.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

14 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

And to his point, that lack of talent still lead to us mudholing OU and OkSt in the first half. The talent isn’t why we are blowing leads in the fourth quarter. That doesn’t make any sense

Well, your implication seems to be it's the coaching.  And I probably agree, but possibly in a different way.

At least with OU, it was pretty clear that Sark had schemed his balls off and called a good first half.  Perhaps a bit less so today.  And that includes "covering" for the disastrously weak OL, and whatever deficiencies Casey and the WR corps possess.

The question then becomes what happened in the second half.  And I fear that we just run out of options given how generally easy it is to shut down our offense.

Can you do they mythical Mack/Greg "saving it for OU" but save it for the second half?

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 3

Just now, TwiceHorn said:

Well, your implication seems to be it's the coaching.  And I probably agree, but possibly in a different way.

At least with OU, it was pretty clear that Sark had schemed his balls off and called a good first half.  Perhaps a bit less so today.

The question then becomes what happened in the second half.  And I fear that we just run out of options given how generally easy it is to shut down our offense.

I think that’s part of it. I also think that we turtle. Against OU we stopped trying to run any real offense and stopped giving the ball to our best player. Today was pretty similar. I think Sark is clearly great at pre game planning. I think he’s awful at adjustment

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

At least with OU, it was pretty clear that Sark had schemed his balls off and called a good first half.  Perhaps a bit less so today.

At halftime, the opponent makes adjustments to exploit our most glaring weakness, which is the OL. For some reason, we don't see that coming and make adjustments of our own.

7 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

At halftime, the opponent makes adjustments to exploit our most glaring weakness, which is the OL. For some reason, we don't see that coming and make adjustments of our own.

Well, clarifying my thinking above.  The concept of adjustments assumes a fairly functional offense that can do more than one thing adequately, if not well.

The recipe to stop our offense seems to be to load the box against BIjan and keep the receivers ahead of you and dare us to throw.  And, when they load the box and rush, they're going to get pressures whether they intend to blitz or bring pressure or not.  Because we don't have a fully functional offense because of the line.

Last week, Worthy was our Xfactor, literally and figuratively and now that cat is out of the bag, as it was by mid way through the second quarter.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, mdmost said:

I don’t get why all the creativity goes out the window in the 2nd half. We get so vanilla and easy to stop. I know we have a shit OL but Sark has known that since fall camp. Adjust, mfer.

The sad fact might be that we simply do not have the players to make the necessary adjustments.

• Hook 'Em 6

16 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

I think we "blow our load" in the protecting the OL in the first quarter or half.  I don't think there's much left in terms of scheme, and I don't think there's a ton left in their tank, either.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Atticus said:

This isn't 7-10 years ago.

Most of these guys dream about playing for Bama, LSU, Ohio State, etc. For most of the top guys in Texas, we only seem to be a fall back option. These guys want to win and get developed to make the league and many don't believe they can do that here.

Just look at Terrence Brooks'/Quinn Ewers' recruitment and tell me these kids dream of coming here outweighs their dreams of long term success.

No, there are still plenty of these fucks

I don’t want to totally excuse Pete K but his defense was out there repeatedly in the 2nd half with no relief because of 4 straight 3 and outs. The defense was holding their own the first half when the offense wasn’t utter dogshit. That’s another thing I don’t get about Sark right now. You know your weakness is defense, OL, and QB. Why aren’t you doing more to not have to lean on those 3?

• BurntOrange&White changed the title to Texas Football 2021 In-Season Thread: Can we get a redo?