Texas Football 2021 In-Season Thread: Can we get a redo?

BurntOrange&White

3 minutes ago, burdine said:

More support for our offense being improved.

We rate by this guy's metric as "efficient, likes to run"

image.thumb.png.29b42e5c04bbb88186dc941f956582e2.png

Filter out all the shitty teams we’ve blown out like Tech and Rice and then see what it is. This what Sark does. He beats up on shorty opponents and then falls apart to ranked ones. 

He’s something like 4-16 against ranked opponents since Year 3 at UW and this team is performing just like his teams at UW and USC. 

Edited by Burt Macklin

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Filter out all the shitty teams we’ve blown out like Tech and Rice and then see what it is. This what Sark does. He beats up on shorty opponents and then falls apart to ranked ones. 

Hey maybe so but that still rates as improvement from where we were last year I think.

Again, I'm not saying he is the guy, just saying I see improvement on offense where he knows the most which I think is the minimum to hope for from a coordinator hire.

Sark's staff pulled in quite a few portal players... we got a star WR, a very good backup RB, a good backup CB, and a LB who may end up being pretty good... and we took a shot at several defensive ends/edges who came from big name schools (and were apparently let go from those schools for good reason) and have not really impressed.
The portal is not a starter farm unless you are a downstream school like Rice or SMU getting kids who played at bigger power schools.  It's rare to find a star lineman (offensive of defensive) and not very common even finding a Power 5 starter in the portal.  I think the portal is better for locating skill players who are stuck behind superstars.  Things may change with the NIL cash in years to come, but in the past most linemen in the portal are usually too injured, too dumb, too moody, or too damn average to step in and start for a team like Texas.  If the rumors about Donovan Jackson or the Brocks are true, the portal may be better for o-linemen this coming year and I guarantee you that Texas will be in the bidding.
Beard did a great job with the b-ball portal.  I'm pumped to see how he puts all the new pieces together.  But basketball is a different beast than football.
I'm not happy with the inconsistency, and hate our oline and defensive end/edge play currently, but gotta give Sark a reasonable amount of time before you throw the rope over the tree limb for him.  I suspect any portal WRs, O-linemen, and defensive ends worth a look will be getting one... we'll see how it pans out for 2022.

Sarks portal problem was that he was bringing in people not in positions of need. It’s one thing to hit the portal to stack your roster, it is another to do so with positions we don’t need.

3 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Sarks portal problem was that he was bringing in people not in positions of need. It’s one thing to hit the portal to stack your roster, it is another to do so with positions we don’t need.

He brought in people not in positions of need? He tried to bring in as many edge players and linebackers as possible and it still wasn't enough as we've seen this year.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Hard to say there was not a need for the edge defenders he brought in. If any position needed bodies that was it. Worthy isnt quite a portal kid, but you could say that was the biggest post recruiting win for the program in a long time. 

I think it is too early to get in the 7 win Steve camp. The offense is better. I did like  his Mea Culpa in the presser yesterday. Basically saying he has dialed down the offense, when they have struggled. Trying to give them plays he knows they can execute. He said he went over film and saw the "elaborate" plays were actually working in the 2nd half and he needed to call more of them when the offense struggled. I think the offense is better and the schemes are better. He is gotten a decent amount out of this offense, despite poor OL, mediocre QB play, and mediocre WRs. The defense has been a train wreck, though OSU game may hint of progress. Moving Collins out to the edge, certainly helped. If Ford's performance becomes his standard, LB might not be a disaster. No idea where this goes at the moment, there are bits you can argue for on boht sides of the argument. Mistakes were clearly made. The real evidence of Sark will come this off-season. What changes does he make. How does he attacck the weaknesses in the portal. I would also like to see him money whip a S&C coach. I am not going go Nahlin on this, but tired of Texas grabbing jags there. 

15 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Maybe not mid season unless this completely implodes but after the season I'd look at who's available. He has underachieved big time and his defenses fall apart once opponents adjust to them. He's gotten shredded by backup QBs multiple times already this season. He's a small time west coast guy who doesn't appear to be a good fit here much less in the SEC if it happens after this season. 

let's not call Caleb Williams a typical "backup QB"

also the Colombi TTU game was on a player who knows better, not a scheme.

i understand your frustration, but this isn't a Todd Orlando situation where he is being terrible across the board.

"small time west coast guy" - don't shit on a guy. His results using DFEI (so normalized results) speak for themselves. the guy was a fantastic fucking hire when he was hired.

• Boise - 2010: #2 DFEI
  • 11: #15
  • 12: #29
  • 13: #71
  • Washington - 14: #18
  • 15: #4
  • 16: #4
  • 17: #12
  • 18: #7
  • 19: #15
  • 20: #65 (in 4 games, i think they got some kind of wild adjustment for only playing 4 though, because all of the underlying results have them no lower than 51? unadjusted had them at #39)

even now, they have the #36 DFEI team in the country (includes preseason ratings i think, which had them as the #31 team in the country, so not like it is holding their ranking way up)

straight up: opinions like this are the problem. shitting on a guy who has been on staff all of 7 games, who has a long history of being a successful coach with basically all of the underlying, adjusted, advanced statistics at the P5 level (and G5 level honestly) is dumb. there are issues there but reassigning a guy on a 3 year deal with $3.4 million remaining based on seven games with a defense that has been undercoached and significantly under developed for the last 10? years is dumb as hell.

at what point can we pretty clearly say it's the players and not the coaches this year?

Texas depth chart going into the OU game had upper classmen as starters at every position other than FE (Jerrin Thompson was in an OR with Schooler)

Seniors at both DE slots, senior WLB, seniors at both CB positions, seniors at boundary and STAR.

Spoiler

image.png.fa27461d7528648d950e574df70dd2e8.png

hiring, then re assigning this guy 7 games into a season (or even after the season) is exactly the kind of move that got Texas in this situation in the first place.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, jetsfan76 said:

I think the reason for the snap decision is that we're all sick and fucking tired of, "next year is our year!"

Yeah no shit. I’m not sure how firing coaches before they’ve had a proper chance to get things turned around helps us break out of that cycle, if anything it guarantees it will continue into perpetuity.

5 hours ago, Thatguy said:

I think Sark means he doesn't call QB runs. I am sure they are just fine with a QB tucking it when there is nowhere to go.

Yes I know he doesn't call QB Power but he wants his QB to go through his progressions farther.  This gets in their head IMO.  and I get why he wants them to do that but we don't have that luxury.  we need our QB to make plays with arm and feet in the passing game now because our OL is very hit or miss on pass pro and our WR's beyond Worthy are meh.  I'm saying he needs to take off earlier when warranted to keep us in reasonable down and distance. 

We saw that with Card in the Ark game.  hesitated when he could have gotten sure 5 or 6 yards to help the down and distance. now it is happening with Casey.  D's adjust at half, take away Bijan and Worthy and we keep trying to force feed.  our other WR's can't get separation save for sometimes Moore.

Casey is athletic but he isn't like VY who could wait to the last second to bail.

he's not using K Rob enough as well.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

He’s something like 4-16 against ranked opponents since Year 3 at UW and this team is performing just like his teams at UW and USC. 

He replaced a guy at Washington that had gone 12-37 including a final year 0-12 and Sark goes 5-7 his first year and then winning records his remaining years and you're implying he's not a good coach because he didn't beat enough ranked teams with what he started with??  Also not sure why you left off his first two years at UW? 

14 minutes ago, elguapo said:

Yeah no shit. I’m not sure how firing coaches before they’ve had a proper chance to get things turned around helps us break out of that cycle, if anything it guarantees it will continue into perpetuity.

He's gonna get 4 years unless he becomes 6 win steve.

17 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

He replaced a guy at Washington that had gone 12-37 including a final year 0-12 and Sark goes 5-7 his first year and then winning records his remaining years and you're implying he's not a good coach because he didn't beat enough ranked teams with what he started with??  Also not sure why you left off his first two years at UW? 

Lulz. I left of fhis first two years precisely because he inherited such a shitty program. I’m helping his track record by starting to count that stat in year 3. 

and he was at UW 5 years with all of his own recruits against a soft schedule and could never win more than 8. That’s not good.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Thatguy said:

Texas gets a guy and if he is playing well he is gone year 3. So those programs have much more continuity than we do.

That is because since high school they have been told they are high rated players and think they are going to be drafted in the first 3 rounds. Many end up as free agents at best.

19 hours ago, Codaxx said:

Some stats i think illustrate the issues with the offense. 

8th in the nation in OTD (percentage of offensive drives that result in a touchdown).. excellent

14th in ODE (Offensive drive efficiency).. very good

118th in OBD (Busted drive rate is the percentage of offensive drives that gain zero or negative yards).. WTF!!!

The offense is literally all or nothing. I think that goes to the fact that the offense is really outperforming itself. They are 2nd in the Big in scoring (41.6, OU is 41.8). The offense and Sark can scheme well when they are ahead of the chains, but as soon as they get behind it is basically a death sentence. Without great OL and QB play, you are going to really struggle when you get behind the chains. OL is 109th in Sack rate and 122nd in standard down Sack rate (this likely the times Sark is calling the "shot plays"). Casey is 8th in total QBR in the Big 12.

And a lot of it is self-inflicted.  We've fumbled snaps, false starts, busted handoffs...etc.  There's a good team in there somewhere but it keeps getting in the way of itself.

There's also a clear decline when backup OL/TE enter the field.  We are strong in ways that at times get completely nullified by our weaknesses.

• Hook 'Em 1

He brought in people not in positions of need? He tried to bring in as many edge players and linebackers as possible and it still wasn't enough as we've seen this year.

When 3 players beat 5, the biggest and most glaring need is obvious on the team. The offensive line. No other group on this team is as bad at their job as these guys are. There are other issues, but they all pale in comparison to the o- line.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

His nickname is Seven Win Steve for a reason. The guy has 6 years of being a P5 HC at very good programs and he’s shown everyone he’s mediocre at best and 8 wins is his ceiling.

Stop trying to put Charlie Strong levels of spin on this and just accept the University of fucking Texas thought Seven Win Steve was the best they could do. 

First part wrong. Second part right.

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

It’s too premature to label Sark as an average coach, because of his drinking problem at previous head coaching stops. We will know by middle of next year what we’ve really got. It certainly doesn’t look great so far. 

Im curious who LSU and USC pick up and whether they will have immediate success. If they do, that will be a major dick punch. I’m still pissed Strong didn’t go after Lincoln Riley as OC. He was discussed on this board extensively as a potential option. If Strong and UT had done just a small bit of research they would have discovered how talented he was. 

I agree with you except about Strong and Riley.

Remember when Strong told everyone our offense was going up-tempo all summer going into year 2 when it wasn't, and didn't know his own zip code? Strong didn't have a firm grip on anything but barbells. Riley was never coming here for a year to work for a HC like that.

47 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Lulz. I left of fhis first two years precisely because he inherited such a shitty program. I’m helping his track record by starting to count that stat in year 3. 

and he was at UW 5 years with all of his own recruits against a soft schedule and could never win more than 8. That’s not good.

I mean he beat 5 ranked teams in his first 2 years including #3 USC his first year.

40% of his UW games were against ranked opponents (11 in Top 10), doesn't scream "soft schedule" to me.

33 minutes ago, JBJ said:

And a lot of it is self-inflicted.  We've fumbled snaps, false starts, busted handoffs...etc.  There's a good team in there somewhere but it keeps getting in the way of itself.

There's also a clear decline when backup OL/TE enter the field.  We are strong in ways that at times get completely nullified by our weaknesses.

A friend of mine connected to the program a few years ago made a joking comment that we recruit some 'dumb' players.

He meant that they were football dumb, as in they lacked fundamentals and an understanding of the game. They were physically talented but mentally not where they needed to be. To make it worse, fundamentals weren't and still aren't a core focus of our coaching activities at Texas.

There are two paths to success that I have seen.

Some successful college coaches teach fundamentals until the players are sick of it. They hate it, but they learn it, and then they go execute. That principle holds true in business, the military, and every other enterprise. Talent carries you a long way but having the discipline to do the basic fundamental stuff is the foundation for success. Then you create a culture around it. You learn the basics and build out from there. Then one day with proper leadership you're a well-oiled machine destroying the competition.

I liked Tom Herman because he seemed like that type of coach. I don't care if he's an a**hole. He seemed like a perfectionist committed to creating a culture around fundamentals. Unfortunately that wasn't true. 

The second way is to recruit a ton of talent and scheme to it. Unleash the raw ability of your players and let them dominate through sheer talent. 

Mack found success here in this way. Unfortunately when he came up against disciplined teams with comparable amounts of talent, his approach fell short. Then his recruiting fell off and we know how that ended.

All that to say that we'll see which type of guy Sark is soon. I'm hoping he is the former, although honestly I'd be happy with the latter.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Disco Missile said:

All that to say that we'll see which type of guy Sark is soon. I'm hoping he is the former, although honestly I'd be happy with the latter.

Translation: Ignore all the stuff I said before this sentence since it is all bullshit. I just hope this coach wins because I am tired of the carousel.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, JBJ said:

I think the offense is actually out-performing its talent. The defense is under-performing its talent. I think Collins have really help the run defense, but as you said when they sub its a train wreck. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Agree that was ugly.
I still think there are defensible reasons for optimism about the offense.
The defense is a mess though.  It needs a lot of work.

This is at least one of two aspects of this team I’m on an island of few.

There are reasons for optimism across the board including defense. The crappy performance was OU. But they were aided by the officials and good fortune including a couple of huge lower percentage pass completions. Six inches here (Washington out of bounds), six inches there (Mims in bounds). Two very near fumbles that we recovered. And we lost our best pass rusher in game right after the bs non illegal touching that led to a TD. Two big rushes should have come back 10 yards the other way. Then there was Tech 2nd half, but we put up 70 so it’s not surprising we lost a little intensity. Then you’ve got 4th quarter Pig and OSU.

In our 3 losses, the offense has had 4, maybe 5 quarters of good football. The defense has been more consistent on those game but still not good in the 4th.

We’re not dominant anywhere but damn near all our guys have played some quality football. But many have been consistently inconsistent leading to some poor play too. I’m of the opinion that if you do it occasionally you are capable of repeating it more often. Offense and defense. That’s where we are. Repeat the good shit. Our 22 are capable of winning out. That’s not to say we’ve got all Americans all over the field. We’ve given up on average one deep pass per game. That’s not bad. A better pass rush would help (who wouldn’t say that though), but the defense needs better safety play and largely in the run game. You get more consistency there, you’ll see considerable improvement from a numbers standpoint and likely winning football.

Just find a way to win from here on out. That’s the objective.

3 hours ago, NoName said:

let's not call Caleb Williams a typical "backup QB"

also the Colombi TTU game was on a player who knows better, not a scheme.

i understand your frustration, but this isn't a Todd Orlando situation where he is being terrible across the board.

"small time west coast guy" - don't shit on a guy. His results using DFEI (so normalized results) speak for themselves. the guy was a fantastic fucking hire when he was hired.

• Boise - 2010: #2 DFEI
  • 11: #15
  • 12: #29
  • 13: #71
  • Washington - 14: #18
  • 15: #4
  • 16: #4
  • 17: #12
  • 18: #7
  • 19: #15
  • 20: #65 (in 4 games, i think they got some kind of wild adjustment for only playing 4 though, because all of the underlying results have them no lower than 51? unadjusted had them at #39)

even now, they have the #36 DFEI team in the country (includes preseason ratings i think, which had them as the #31 team in the country, so not like it is holding their ranking way up)

straight up: opinions like this are the problem. shitting on a guy who has been on staff all of 7 games, who has a long history of being a successful coach with basically all of the underlying, adjusted, advanced statistics at the P5 level (and G5 level honestly) is dumb. there are issues there but reassigning a guy on a 3 year deal with $3.4 million remaining based on seven games with a defense that has been undercoached and significantly under developed for the last 10? years is dumb as hell.

at what point can we pretty clearly say it's the players and not the coaches this year?

Texas depth chart going into the OU game had upper classmen as starters at every position other than FE (Jerrin Thompson was in an OR with Schooler)

Seniors at both DE slots, senior WLB, seniors at both CB positions, seniors at boundary and STAR.

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.fa27461d7528648d950e574df70dd2e8.png

hiring, then re assigning this guy 7 games into a season (or even after the season) is exactly the kind of move that got Texas in this situation in the first place.

Everybody has a great track record until they come here. What matters is what they do once here and this guy has been shit. Also if the players are sucking that's on the coaches too. Just how this profession is judged. 

They threw away about $40 million to replace Herman with Sark so reassigning an underperforming DC isn't a big deal financially. Especially with SEC money coming. Speaking of SEC, it's vitally important they get the right staff in before this move. As embarrassing as this season is it's going to be a whole lot worse if we're doing this crap in the SEC. 

This defense looked to be making some strides under Ash as last year progressed and has regressed a ton under PK. He just might be a bad fit. 

13 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

This defense looked to be making some strides under Ash as last year progressed and has regressed a ton under PK. He just might be a bad fit. 

I guess Ash was a step up from Orlando (hard to be any worse), but he wasn't even close a savior and the defense had issues throughout 2020. Texas Tech happened, TCU happened, OU happened. Towards the end of the season the schedule lightened up and that allowed everyone to look a little better, but even in blowout games like Kansas State, the defense allowed 270+ yards on the ground. Against Iowa State we allowed their tight ends to combine for 200 receiving yards. Even Colorado approached 200 rushing yards. 

I agree that Ash's system might be better suited for the current personnel, but having Joseph Ossai and Ta'Quon Graham up front and Chris Brown in the backend would have this years defense looking completely different. Herman and Ash had Reese Leitao and Jett Bush playing JACK in the bowl game after Ossai opted out so I'm not sure what their plan would have been at their lone pass rushing spot. I imagine the lack of pass rush would be a struggle even if we maintained the same system. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Had Enough said:

This is at least one of two aspects of this team I’m on an island of few.

There are reasons for optimism across the board including defense. The crappy performance was OU. But they were aided by the officials and good fortune including a couple of huge lower percentage pass completions. Six inches here (Washington out of bounds), six inches there (Mims in bounds). Two very near fumbles that we recovered. And we lost our best pass rusher in game right after the bs non illegal touching that led to a TD. Two big rushes should have come back 10 yards the other way. Then there was Tech 2nd half, but we put up 70 so it’s not surprising we lost a little intensity. Then you’ve got 4th quarter Pig and OSU.

In our 3 losses, the offense has had 4, maybe 5 quarters of good football. The defense has been more consistent on those game but still not good in the 4th.

We’re not dominant anywhere but damn near all our guys have played some quality football. But many have been consistently inconsistent leading to some poor play too. I’m of the opinion that if you do it occasionally you are capable of repeating it more often. Offense and defense. That’s where we are. Repeat the good shit. Our 22 are capable of winning out. That’s not to say we’ve got all Americans all over the field. We’ve given up on average one deep pass per game. That’s not bad. A better pass rush would help (who wouldn’t say that though), but the defense needs better safety play and largely in the run game. You get more consistency there, you’ll see considerable improvement from a numbers standpoint and likely winning football.

Just find a way to win from here on out. That’s the objective.

If consistent means bad, I am with you. At least the offense, outside of Arkansas, has had moments of greatness. Defense was wretched vs OU and Ark pretty much the entire game. I believe both teams were well over 6 yards per play in the first half of both games. 

If consistent means bad, I am with you. At least the offense, outside of Arkansas, has had moments of greatness. Defense was wretched vs OU and Ark pretty much the entire game. I believe both teams were well over 6 yards per play in the first half of both games. 

I suppose our definitions of wretched are a little different.

I did a little quick calc. Pig was less than 6 per in the first half. 16 points, 3 of which possession started at the 14. Our 14.

4 of our 6 possessions were 3 and outs. Another was 5 plays, and the other resulted in no points. Then we open the 2nd half with a 3 and out. The wheels completely came off when the offense lost it downs then turned it over. Not saying the defense was championship caliber, but the offense was the primary culprit for the loss.

OU you can point to primarily defense. Then OSU primarily offense.

Our best player is on offense, which has nothing to do with the staff and scheme or play calling.

In those 3 games, our defense forced 11 3 and outs. The offense had 18. I included it as one if there was a turnover in the first 3 plays or if there was a 4th down attempt that didn’t convert and no first downs were achieved.

We’re simply not playing well enough on either side to finish and win. I’d put more of the blame on the offense.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

nobody came into the year thinking we had a dominant OL and yet we have the No. 2 scoring offense in the Big 12.

The DL came into the year with much higher expectations and have well underperformed them.

Context is important.

Offense has been flawed but flashed brilliance at times with a pretty bad OL and basically one WR.

Defense has consistently given ground and ranks very poorly in most stats with more veteran players.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Codaxx said:

I mean 96th in yards per play pretty much says it all...they had a good 1st Q v OU, good half vs OSU, decent first half v Ark given the ST disaster from Dicker and the O nonexistent. their best overall game was probably TCU before the 99 yard drive.  the first TD was basically the ST KO return bust.  

4 minutes ago, burdine said:

nobody came into the year thinking we had a dominant OL and yet we have the No. 2 scoring offense in the Big 12.

The DL came into the year with much higher expectations and have well underperformed them.

Context is important.

Offense has been flawed but flashed brilliance at times with a pretty bad OL and basically one WR.

Defense has consistently given ground and ranks very poorly in most stats with more veteran players.

this.  the issue is we are getting gashed with the run in our losses.  not stopping the run is gonna make you look really shitty because it is completely demoralizing and our DC made zero adjustments(personnel or scheme) to stop it or at least somewhat control it on the 3 best teams on our schedule so far.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

I suppose our definitions of wretched are a little different.

I did a little quick calc. Pig was less than 6 per in the first half. 16 points, 3 of which possession started at the 14. Our 14.

4 of our 6 possessions were 3 and outs. Another was 5 plays, and the other resulted in no points. Then we open the 2nd half with a 3 and out. The wheels completely came off when the offense lost it downs then turned it over. Not saying the defense was championship caliber, but the offense was the primary culprit for the loss.

OU you can point to primarily defense. Then OSU primarily offense.

Our best player is on offense, which has nothing to do with the staff and scheme or play calling.

In those 3 games, our defense forced 11 3 and outs. The offense had 18. I included it as one if there was a turnover in the first 3 plays or if there was a 4th down attempt that didn’t convert and no first downs were achieved.

We’re simply not playing well enough on either side to finish and win. I’d put more of the blame on the offense.

Pig the offense was bad, I never argued that. ARK is taking the lion share of the 3 and outs. My bad is 5.72 yards per play and 5.65 per rush. Gave up 223 yards, so on pace for 446 yards. Wretched is an exaggeration, but far from good. If you give up 223 yards and face 39 plays in a half, you will tire. 

The biggest issue with the defense is they dont get off the field

Rank 71st in 2Q points and 91st in 3Q pts. That isnt on the offense

Rank 96th with 6.24 yards per play

73rd in First down rate (drives that result in at least 1 first down)

79th is DAY (Yards available) with roughly 50% (offense starts on the 20, they average 40 yards of offense on that drive).. 

97th in DVD (percentage of opponent offensive drives that conclude with a drive end value greater than the drive start value based on field position) at 72%

80th in 3rd down conversion % allowed

Those stats tell you why the defense is tired, its because they dont get off the field. The offense has not always helped them and hurt them at times, but they defense does itself no favors. No to mention OSU is a bad offense. They are actually dad last in yards per play in the Big 12. Yes, behind even Kansas. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

this.  the issue is we are getting gashed with the run in our losses.  not stopping the run is gonna make you look really shitty because it is completely demoralizing and our DC made zero adjustments(personnel or scheme) to stop it or at least somewhat control it on the 3 best teams on our schedule so far.

Inability to stop the run makes them bad. The inconsistency of the Texas OL, makes it nearly impossible to protect them. Texas can not just line up and run the ball vs a reasonable defense. TCU is not a reasonable defense (9th in the big 12 in rush defense). The one issue I think that is killing Texas and Sark, is when he tries to protect the dfense, the offense implodes. He needs to embrace the All Gas mantra, because this is not an offense capable of 8-10 play drives. He actually acknowledge this in his last press conference. 

• Hook 'Em 4

5 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

I mean 96th in yards per play pretty much says it all...they had a good 1st Q v OU, good half vs OSU, decent first half v Ark given the ST disaster from Dicker and the O nonexistent. their best overall game was probably TCU before the 99 yard drive.  the first TD was basically the ST KO return bust.  

74 in defensive drive efficiency

96 in YPP

86 in DPD (defensive points per drive)

97th in Value Drive Rate (Value drive rate (DVD) is the percentage of opponent offensive drives that conclude with a drive end value greater than the drive start value based on field position.)

73 in DFD (first down rate)

preseason had them at the #31 DFEI team, so clearly some of that is still in the rankings, plus the adjustment for #35 SOS

F+, SP+, FEI ranks:

(from ksu_FAN on twitter)

also from ksu_FAN - texas has a shitty HAVOC rate. Texas leader in Havoc / game is fucking Luke Brockermeyer

image.png.6ab1c9903a254b69be6dbc481439552d.png

explosive play rates, including garbage

FCec-lNWEAEriHm?format=png&name=small

per drive stats, excluding garbage:

FCd2iAzXIAQN_GJ?format=png&name=large

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

9 minutes ago, NoName said:

74 in defensive drive efficiency

96 in YPP

86 in DPD (defensive points per drive)

97th in Value Drive Rate (Value drive rate (DVD) is the percentage of opponent offensive drives that conclude with a drive end value greater than the drive start value based on field position.)

73 in DFD (first down rate)

preseason had them at the #31 DFEI team, so clearly some of that is still in the rankings, plus the adjustment for #35 SOS

F+, SP+, FEI ranks:

(from ksu_FAN on twitter)

also from ksu_FAN - texas has a shitty HAVOC rate. Texas leader in Havoc / game is fucking Luke Brockermeyer

image.png.6ab1c9903a254b69be6dbc481439552d.png

explosive play rates, including garbage

FCec-lNWEAEriHm?format=png&name=small

per drive stats, excluding garbage:

FCd2iAzXIAQN_GJ?format=png&name=large

I dont remember the stats, you may have them, but I saw somewhere that the Texas offense has been a disaster when starting with poor field position. What people are not accounting for in the defensive stats is field position. There is huge difference in the opposition starting at the 20 and getting a 3 and out vs this defense that allows 49% of yards available or the offense gaining 40 yards and now the field is flipped. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I dont remember the stats, you may have them, but I saw somewhere that the Texas offense has been a disaster when starting with poor field position. What people are not accounting for in the defensive stats is field position. There is huge difference in the opposition starting at the 20 and getting a 3 and out vs this defense that allows 49% of yards available or the offense gaining 40 yards and now the field is flipped. 

there is bad and there is TERRIBLE, i was expecting bad and got TERRIBLE. 83 and 115? yikes.

image.png.469cd19ea4c640fe0821f21e51ed0d07.png

Teams are ranked in the table below by net available yards percentage (NAY), the difference between offensive available yards percentage (OAY) and opponent offensive available yards percentage (DAY). Available yards percentage is calculated by dividing drive yards earned by available yards measured from starting field position to end zone. Available yards percentages as measured from starting field position to the opponent 20-yard line (O20, D20), as measured from starting field position to the opponent 40-yard line (O40, D40), and as measured from starting field position to the offense's own 40-yard line (O60, D60) are also provided.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, NoName said:

there is bad and there is TERRIBLE, i was expecting bad and got TERRIBLE. 83 and 115? yikes.

image.png.469cd19ea4c640fe0821f21e51ed0d07.png

Thanks.. This was mentioned in Sark's presser. I had wondered if Sark went basic, when the offense struggled or was in bad field position. The play calling seemed bland. Sark basically confirmed that. Saying he gives the offense something he feels they can execute. He later said going through the tape that even when they were struggling, they executed "more elaborate" plays and he needed to keep that in mind going forward (paraphrasing, Its one of the last questions in his latest presser, if anyone wants to hear it). I think that illustrates how much help the offense needs. They need all the misdirection and eye candy possible to slow the defense down in order to succeed. When Sark simplifies, which would seem logical, it only exacerbates the situation, because the OL cant win straight up. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

They need all the misdirection and eye candy possible to slow the defense down in order to succeed. When Sark simplifies, which would seem logical, it only exacerbates the situation, because the OL cant win straight up. 

I sure was wondering why OSU was getting exotic on us play after play while we were crashing into the back of linemen and throwing passes into the dirt.

2 hours ago, Codaxx said:

I think the offense is actually out-performing its talent. The defense is under-performing its talent. I think Collins have really help the run defense, but as you said when they sub its a train wreck. 

You can't really hide your weaknesses on defense.  In fact, that's usually what opposing OCs try to emphasize.

1 hour ago, Codaxx said:

Thanks.. This was mentioned in Sark's presser. I had wondered if Sark went basic, when the offense struggled or was in bad field position. The play calling seemed bland. Sark basically confirmed that. Saying he gives the offense something he feels they can execute. He later said going through the tape that even when they were struggling, they executed "more elaborate" plays and he needed to keep that in mind going forward (paraphrasing, Its one of the last questions in his latest presser, if anyone wants to hear it). I think that illustrates how much help the offense needs. They need all the misdirection and eye candy possible to slow the defense down in order to succeed. When Sark simplifies, which would seem logical, it only exacerbates the situation, because the OL cant win straight up. 

if he can accurately diagnose the problem(don't know yet) and legitimately make that change and make it stick and be effective that would be actual positive head coaching and dare I say . . .  growth . . .  ??????

Is that even legal????

Edited by burdine
  • Haha 1

• BurntOrange&White changed the title to Texas Football 2021 In-Season Thread: Can we get a redo?