Texas Football 2021 In-Season Thread: Can we get a redo?

BurntOrange&White

Bear with me, these are two disparate thoughts that will come together.

RoJo ran wildcat but just once I think.  Of course, everyone knows he's a former QB, so wildcat seems like a natural. I'd be very surprised if there isn't a package out of this where he throws, run's zr, straight option, maybe even shovel pass or something else gadget-y.

Why is Card still the holder?  He's QB1 for chrissakes.

So...why not make RoJo holder?

On 9/5/2021 at 5:08 PM, EZ$ said:

There was a play where Brewer was out wide with another WR and we threw a screen….to the WR and Brewer blocked. We got around 7-8 yards. 
With Herman, thats a 2 yard loss with the pass going to Brewer and a 170 lb WR lead blocking on the screen. 
Probably half of Herman’s “bad calls” weren’t the call itself, but the personnel. 

The guys on The Blitz went through snap numbers, and our starting WRs were on the field for almost 90% of the snaps. I don't remember all of the snap #s but I do remember that Kai Money only had 1. I think Moore and Worthy had 60 of 72(ish) and JWhitt had 48 or so since he was the sub for our 2nd TE or RB.

On 9/6/2021 at 10:55 AM, Burt Macklin said:

Yeah, we caught them a few times. It’s really smart by Sark. We never huddle so we can run tempo when they try to sub and get a free play, but we generally play at a slow pace so we can still control the game and TOP while not letting them sub. It’s the best of both worlds. It’s almost like this Sark guy knows what he’s doing. 

I loved when Sark said in his presser that he looked at Brewer after the first Bijan run after the long catch by Whittington and read his body language to say "we are whipping these guys ass, what is the play?" So he just called the same inside zone play a 2nd time and Bijan scored.

• Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

This is what has me excited about the coaching staff.  That defense looked confusing as fuck.  And contained is an understatement.  Aside from the one scramble, Lewis didn't have time to think run.  Bringing only 3 or 4 each play and still getting pressure while having a no fly zone behind it seems like a foreign concept after the previous 4 DCs.  Oh yeah, and we've got a walk on looking like an all conference LB.

Can't wait to see the stat line after Saturday going against a team that's (for the most part) one dimensional. 

What gruntled me along those lines is that PK's defense kept working even when we subbed in the bench.

Orlando's defense was brilliantly designed. It had Swiss watch complexity. When all the pieces did exactly what they were supposed to do, it was beautiful. However, when a guy got hurt or subbed out, his replacement didn't quite get the memo. The entire defense would be wrecked.

PK has his guys playing a complex defense that conceptually simple. Every player seemed to grasp his role. Even the late TD run had 3 Texas defenders ready to make the play (but failed to execute tackles - I'm sure that point came up this week). This defense took away the easy stuff and made ULL execute the hard stuff. It's clear that there's more to come.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, BigHorn'13 said:

This is what has me excited about the coaching staff.  That defense looked confusing as fuck.  And contained is an understatement.  Aside from the one scramble, Lewis didn't have time to think run.  Bringing only 3 or 4 each play and still getting pressure while having a no fly zone behind it seems like a foreign concept after the previous 4 DCs.  Oh yeah, and we've got a walk on looking like an all conference LB.

Can't wait to see the stat line after Saturday going against a team that's (for the most part) one dimensional. 

ULL lived and died by two things, QB scramble and short crossing routes over the middle once the LBs sucked up to contain the run. We stopped both in a pretty impressive way minus two or three plays throughout the game. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, shakahorn said:

Why is Card still the holder?  He's QB1 for chrissakes.

I think Babers said last week this is an Alabama/ Saban thing Sark has brought with him. The idea behind it is that the QB has the most experience having the ball snapped to them so naturally you put him there to hold. 

Me personally, I don't see the need since it's a completely different position to be in while it's snapped. I'd think you'd rather have a guy practicing that full time if the goal is not fucking up the hold....but I'm no coach

2 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

I think Babers said last week this is an Alabama/ Saban thing Sark has brought with him. The idea behind it is that the QB has the most experience having the ball snapped to them so naturally you put him there to hold. 

Me personally, I don't see the need since it's a completely different position to be in while it's snapped. I'd think you'd rather have a guy practicing that full time if the goal is not fucking up the hold....but I'm no coach

It may just be a situation where Card was not assumed to be the starter until late in camp and therefore they need to train up a replacement. Hell, Bujcevski could even do it on his gimpy leg. 

3 hours ago, Red Five said:

It's funny that Bijan has a fairly pedestrian/workmanlike game by his standards, and he's the national offensive player of the week. 

Agreed, if he stays healthy that won’t likely be a top 5 game for him this season as far as production 

In other words, HEISMAN

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, jinx said:

The guys on The Blitz went through snap numbers, and our starting WRs were on the field for almost 90% of the snaps. I don't remember all of the snap #s but I do remember that Kai Money only had 1. I think Moore and Worthy had 60 of 72(ish) and JWhitt had 48 or so since he was the sub for our 2nd TE or RB.

Shout out all you guys who spent the summer wringing your hands that we were fucked because our offense was clearly going to feature Kai Money. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

63763906-3C54-42D5-91AA-CC606604DFA9.gif.b501496358d77b3232eebc57572d6a82.gif

I missed this live, but Joe Cook pointed this out in his gif breakdown. We tried to catch them with some tricky shit in the 2Q. 

All the skill players stood upright like they were at the play-call on the sideline. Card even gives the no-look snap signal.

Didn’t work here but just another example of a smart staff putting little wrinkles in to give us an advantage.  

It actually did work. Clean release for Moore and he was even with the CB by the time he turned his hips but the ball was overthrown.

Looking at it again it would have worked even better if the other CB was the single receiver side. He stood completely straight up while the CB on Moore stayed in an athletic position to look to his sideline.

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Hook 'Em 5

28 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

I missed this live, but Joe Cook pointed this out in his gif breakdown. We tried to catch them with some tricky shit in the 2Q. 

All the skill players stood upright like they were at the play-call on the sideline. Card even gives the no-look snap signal.

Didn’t work here but just another example of a smart staff putting little wrinkles in to give us an advantage.  

In the future these kinds of situations need to be touchdowns. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, BigHorn'13 said:

Obligatory spacer.png

• Haha 3
  • Rage+1 2

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

Also, look at Moore and Worthy's feet. Their first move is completely wasted motion as they basically just switch their feet positionally.

That may be on purpose since they are playing sound and not the the snap itself.

23 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I'm an idiot - explain please?

They are moving on Hudson's clap, so if they are a split second faster than the snap the false step makes it less obvious.

...I dunno though, seems a little far fetched.  You'd have to look at other plays to see what tendencies they have.

Edited by JBJ

On 9/6/2021 at 11:25 AM, BurntOrange&White said:

Left tackle Christian Jones was in a boot, which may not mean all that much. Texas trainers put people in boots almost as much as Texas parking enforcement. 

So... I railed on this dude during the game and the day after...  Upon my 3rd watch of the game, I did notice an odd gait and wondered if he might have been hurt or injured.

This may help explain his performance.

Two reasons
1.) Dicker was most comfortable with Card.
2.) Saban uses his starter on holds and Sarks liked it

Our HS coach thought the same thing right up until point when the other team blocked a kick and our QB / holder grabbed the ball out of the air and the entire defense hammered him and sprained his ankle, an injury that lingered all season. It is not a good idea. Put a back QB in there

1 hour ago, Snacks said:

So... I railed on this dude during the game and the day after...  Upon my 3rd watch of the game, I did notice an odd gait and wondered if he might have been hurt or injured.

This may help explain his performance.

Live at the game you could see something wasn't right with Jones.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, UncleSonny said:

Okay thanks for pointing that out. I hadn't noticed but I love it. Sark taking every possible advantage. 

Just now, SarkAfterDark said:

Not sure how we go from looking like a real competent football team to dogshit tonight, but I'm just going to hope tonight was an anomaly and some hard lessons were learned and will be better going forward.

I think we’ll see improvement through the rest of the season. Probably an 8-4/9-3 team. I think a lot of us got too optimistic after the first game

• Hook 'Em 1

IT Scoop

By: Gerry, Eric, and Justin

A key we were listening for after the debacle in Fayetteville was how Steve Sarkisian messaged his team. It was old hat for Tom Herman to say something similar to ”the game plan was in place, we just have to execute.” He did this to maintain buy-in in the coaching ability but over time, when it became clear the players were often being failed by the coaches, he lost trust from the players.

After the game, Sark said he felt he failed them and didn’t prepare them well enough. They did a poor job of putting players in positions to succeed. He said this week they need to pick up the intensity and focus on the technical aspects of the game. They need to do better at pushing though adversity. He mentioned they came out OK from halftime but need to bring it harder.

What he said about needing more intensity was corroborated by other sources, but probably also your own eyes. One source stated, “some guys are hyped up where there’s substance behind it. That’s the same guys who practice hard. But, a lot of the hype was fake it til you make it. I feel like it’s the way they practice. They need to come back to the field with urgency. Urgency is aggressiveness, and you’re not looking to just turn it on 30 minutes before kickoff.“

While Sarkisian had his issues as a head coach preparing the whole team and the offense, Pete Kwiatkowski had the same exact issues on defense. He told his players he’s going to take a hard look at the film and re-evaluate his game plan.

The coaches falling on their swords is a good sign, even if it’s the obvious thing to do. The players should absolutely not be absolved from that performance. This is a big week for them. Our source had thoughts there, too, “they got an *** whipping and have to grow from it. How they bounce back from the loss will determine the attitude, character, and personality of the team. Mentally, the team is in a good place. Everyone knows they should have played better. Lots of accountability regardless of whether or not the coaches didn’t do well with the game plan. Lots of self-reflection.”

As they look to rebound, Saturday showed some fundamental issues, namely with the offensive line. The OL didn’t have a good week of preparation heading into the game, even struggling with the scout team at times. We’re expecting some heavy tinkering in practice and as such we’ll step up our coverage throughout the week. If that tinkering doesn’t occur, well, welcome back Herb Hand!

Similarly, the defense needs to improve on run fits. Both lines are playing with poor pad level. Sark said the game would be decided in the trenches and that was definitely a big part of it, though neither coach helped their lines out.

As far as quarterback goes, “the team knows it’s not really Hudson’s fault. Everybody played poorly. He might of needed a change of scenery earlier in the game. The same could be said for other players. In a game like that it doesn’t matter who the starter is, do what you have to do to win the game first and foremost. They could have put Casey in earlier. There were times Hudson should have ran, if it’s not there run and get what you can. Yards and first downs were hard to come by. You have to take what’s available.”

I'm not sure how you can take IT's QB discussions serious considering they pumped Card all summer/spring and had him signed for NIL as soon as it was announced he was the starter. Seems like there may be bias.

On 9/11/2021 at 10:03 PM, GTX Horn said:

I think we’ll see improvement through the rest of the season. Probably an 8-4/9-3 team. I think a lot of us got too optimistic after the first game

This sounds weak but I was going into the season thinking 7-5 or 8-4. I was shocked when we hired sark but I think he can achieve Mack type levels. But the last 10 years and the revolving door or head and assistant coaches has me in “prove it. Win 11 games. Until then I’m just gonna assume 8-4 and go to the boring ass Alamo bowl 

His analysis of the 4th and 2 play where Bijan got hit in the backfield because Okafor let a LB run free was “we did not execute the play properly”.  I suppose that would technically also be the correct analysis for the previous 5 times we ran that play and got stuffed in the backfield because Okafor let a man run free.  It would still be correct for the subsequent 5 times that happened. 

Burton:

After the Horns’ dud of a performance against Arkansas, does that materially change how you think of the Big 12 race this season?

Consider TCU eked out a victory over Cal. Tech was taken to the wire by SFA. Tulsa gave Oklahoma State all it could handle. Iowa State turned over a win to Iowa but they were also beat at the line of scrimmage.

A week after dominating Stanford, K-State stumbled to victory over Southern Illinois after losing its starting QB to a knee injury that will keep him out for at least a few weeks. Baylor’s offense showed signs of renewed life under a new offensive coordinator but it was against Texas Southern. OU is, well, still OU.

After the Sooners, the Big 12 looks like a free for all.

The Horns need to be all-in on trying to make the Big 12 championship. From early results, I think TCU and Iowa State will be the two teams vying with Texas for the second spot next to the Sooners.

• BurntOrange&White changed the title to Texas Football 2021 In-Season Thread: Can we get a redo?