Texas Football 2021 In-Season Thread: Can we get a redo?

BurntOrange&White

Something I was thinking.
The reason why Card was the starter at the beginning of the season was because with Casey the offenses ceiling is lower. Casey is better because of experience, not because he’s the better QB. Imo Card is still the better QB and Sark knew that he’s just not ready yet.  
Now I’m not saying Casey is bad Im just saying Card is better 

Just now, D3zii said:

The reason why Card was the starter at the beginning of the season was because with Casey the offenses ceiling is lower. Casey is better because of experience, not because he’s the better QB. Imo Card is still the better QB and Sark knew that he’s just not ready yet.  

Thanks for that great insight that was talked about after the Arkansas game for a week straight. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

With our pass protection, Casey gives us the best chance. He also opens up the running game because he’s a credible threat to run throughout the game and can hold up against live action.
  • Hook 'Em 4

11 hours ago, Juke_Em said:

Big XII is not strong this year at all...after a month it's clear that Texas will be challenging OU for the conference. I don't see any team that will be able to come into DKR and win so we should go undefeated at home. The only two road games I'm concerned about are Baylor/ISU but I think we at least get the split. 9-3 or 10-2 are strong possibilities and should earn a spot in Arlington for the conference title.

Lol no. 10-2 is on the very outer end of possibilities. We barely beat a shitty TCU team that’s looking at 6 or 7 wins. We have issues all over the OL and our defense isn’t good. 8-4 or 9-3 is what we’re headed for. 

12 hours ago, Post Oak said:

I'd like to see Sark find a way to get Keilon more touches.  Put him in the backfield with Bijan, maybe.  He's to explosive to not be more involved.

Same. I'm not disappointed at all with RoJo but KRob needs to start getting some of his touches.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Lol no. 10-2 is on the very outer end of possibilities. We barely beat a shitty TCU team that’s looking at 6 or 7 wins. We have issues all over the OL and our defense isn’t good. 8-4 or 9-3 is what we’re headed for. 

We beat a team on the road that usually beats us, where it's usually us trying to come back in the 2nd half. Instead, we led for most of the game, and if we convert a couple of those short fields, we win going away. We grinded those guys down, then kept the ball away from them to finish the game on offense. 

That's a really good win. We didn't look perfect, but we got it done when we needed to. 

Teams don't just become shitty when we beat them. Y'all said the same thing about tech last week, and said TCU would be a better test for how good this team is. 

Edited by Atticus
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

Of the two, Card has the best chance at some sort of career at the next level, but Casey is the right QB for this team in 2021. That may change next year, but in spite of Casey's bad game against frog, I dont forsee any further starting QB changes barring injury. Need to browse the portal though, backup likely doesnt stick around another season.

14 hours ago, ousux said:
On 10/3/2021 at 9:09 AM, LTtxfan said:
okie lite gets extra week to prep for HORNS

After two straight tough road games for us, and gives Gundy time to study every little detail of every game we've played so far. Splendid..

It scares you to death.

Texas defense in the second half

Louisiana- 6 pts allowed

Arkansas- 24 pts allowed

Rice- 0 pts allowed

Tech- 21 pts allowed

TCU- 10 pts allowed

I'd like to see the defense clamp down more....i know Arkansas got out of hand and Tech got some easy ones....TCU was an improvement imo. Defense needs to keep ketting better in this area.

Edited by Pam Cummings

Texas defense in the second half
Louisiana- 6 pts allowed
Arkansas- 24 pts allowed
Rice- 0 pts allowed
Tech- 21 pts allowed
TCU- 10 pts allowed

I'd like to see the defense clamp down more....i know Arkansas got out of hand and Tech got some easy ones....TCU was an improvement imo. Defense needs to keep ketting better in this area.

This speaks more to game script than first vs second half performance. Against ULL Texas gave up a Q4 touchdown up 35-12 with backups playing. Similar deal against Tech. Up 49-14 in the second half. Against Arkansas, Texas gave up 16 points in the first half as a result of several red zone stands, the main difference in the second half is that Arkansas started a possession in the red zone and scored 7 instead of 3. TCU is the only game where maybe you can say the defense improved between halves but they also gave up a 99 yard touchdown drive in the second half.

16 hours ago, ousux said:
On 10/3/2021 at 9:09 AM, LTtxfan said:
okie lite gets extra week to prep for HORNS

After two straight tough road games for us, and gives Gundy time to study every little detail of every game we've played so far. Splendid..

Gundy is going to be fishing and laying down with his lady. That dude isn’t breaking down film any earlier than normal. He’ll also still make some stupid decision that costs his team a TD and/or the win. Sarks got this. 

Texas Football: Sky is the limit for Longhorns under Steve Sarkisian, says Kirk Herbstreit

by Dean Straka         5 hours ago

DALLAS — It's no secret that Steve Sarkisian's journey as a football coach came with twists and turns. Twenty-one years after he kickstarted his career as the quarterbacks coach at El Camino College in Southern California, the 47-year-old Sarkisian finds himself with one of the most prestigious coaching jobs in college football as the leader of the Texas Longhorns.

Coaching changes have been more common on the Forty Acres in recent times than Texas would prefer. Sarkisian became the third Texas head coach since the end of Mack Brown's run with the program when Sarkisian replaced Tom Herman at the start of the year. But five games into his debut season, Texas has perhaps found an identity under Sarkisian — or at least the makings of one — that it strove for but failed to achieve under previous regimes. Longtime ESPN college football analyst Kirk Herbstreit says it's a testament to both Sarkisian's development, and believes that the future could be brightest it has been at Texas in some time if Sarkisian keeps the team on its current trajectory.

"There’s nothing (Sarkisian) is doing that would really surprise me," Herbstreit told 247Sports Friday ahead of the Red River Showdown against Oklahoma. "I think when he went there, I was just excited knowing the potential at Texas and what he can bring as far as innovative thinking, not just as a play caller, but because of the programs he’s been around and the experience he has had. You learn from the good and the bad and I think now he is more of a finished product and ready to become a head coach in a very different way than maybe where he was at USC and Washington.”

"And the sky is the limit, man. The way they are going to recruit and the way that they eventually going to join the SEC — nothing against the 2021 team, but I think this will be a team that we’ll look at as a turning point of the Sark era. I think the future teams, the way he’s going to recruit and once his culture is established — if you’re a Texas fan, you should be excited about the future.”

In the time since a lopsided Week 2 loss at Arkansas, Texas has rebounded with three consecutive wins. The latest was a 32-27 win at TCU in Week 5, and Longhorns running back Bijan Robinson ran wild with a 216 yard, two touchdown rushing performance in the victory.

And already, the recruiting efforts by Sarkisian staff are being felt. The Longhorns picked up a massive commitment on Wednesday when Top247 wide receiver Brenen Thompson (Spearman, Texas) chose Texas, vaulting the Longhorns into the No. 2 spot in the 247Sports team rankings for the class of 2022. The Texas Panhandle speedster became the second wide receiver commit for Texas in the class, joining fellow four-star Armani Winfield from Lewisville (Texas).

At this point in the season, Texas ranks sixth nationally in scoring, fifth in rushing and 11th in passing efficiency. And as Sarkisian looks to be continue building an “All Gas No Brakes” powerhouse, this recruiting class seems to get him a step closer. Thompson adds to a haul that already includes perhaps the best running back duo in the country in speeders Jamarion Miller and Jaydon Blue. These three along with true freshman Xavier Worthy give Sarkisian and that offense several guys that can outrun a defense from anywhere on the field.

Sarkisian and the Longhorns go for the biggest win yet of his tenure when No. 21 Texas and No. 6 Oklahoma clash Saturday morning at the Cotton Bowl in Dallas. 

Steve Wiltfong contributed to this report

• BurntOrange&White changed the title to Texas Football 2021 In-Season Thread: Can we get a redo?