Shave like a man meta thread

nnm

In the spirit of the bidet thread (which changed my life), I offer the shave like a man thread. 

When I started college in 1986, Gillette was just figuring out how much money they could make in selling garbage razors to us. Prior to the 1980s, guys shaved using safety razors, with a simple double-edged razor inside a heavy metal handle. Some basic soap in a cup for lather, and they were done. The razors cost about a penny each, lasted as long as any modern crap razor lasts, and went inside a heavy, manly handle that lasted a lifetime. 
Enter the razor wars. Sometime in the 80s, the companies started the gimmicks, with double and triple, even five razors in each head, lubricating strips, vibrating handles- the wackier, the better. And the more expensive the better. We all bought in, and wasted massive amounts of money getting crappy shaves. 
The Mach 3 was my gimmick of choice. The prices for the refills kept going up, to the point where stores started putting them in locked cabinets. 
About 10 years ago, I decided to stop the madness. My dad shaved with a safety razor—why couldn’t I?  I lost the old handle he gave me when I started shaving, so had to get another one. I got a heavy, long-handle (much better with a long handle) Merkur. The razors cost next to nothing. And paired with a shaving oil instead of shaving cream, it’s the best shave you’ll ever have. 
Ditch the gimmicks. Ditch the shave clubs. Shave like a man. 
Here’s the starter set:  

1.  Handle (a heavy, manly Merkur 39c): https://www.amazon.com/MERKUR-Slant-MK-39C-Double-Safety/dp/B002CLH5MG/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=merkur+heavy+duty+long+handle&qid=1630375014&sr=8-6. This is the only up-front investment. And it costs as much as one sam’s club pack of your gimmick razors that will last a few months. This will last several lifetimes. 

2.  Razors:  Start with a sampler pack so you can try different brands to figure out which one you like.  100 (yes, 100!) blades for $15:  https://www.amazon.com/Excellent-Quality-Razor-Blades-different/dp/B07PH47B8M/ref=sr_1_5?crid=2IWETMC1GV4YX&dchild=1&keywords=safety+razor+blades+sampler&qid=1630375830&sprefix=Safety+razor+blade%2Caps%2C332&sr=8-5

3.  Shaving oil instead of shaving cream:  https://www.amazon.com/Somersets-Sensitive-Shave-Oil-2-pk/dp/B0738QC9RJ/ref=sr_1_2?crid=22IEI8F1R4733&dchild=1&keywords=somersets+shaving+oil&qid=1630376064&sprefix=Somersets+shaving+oil%2Caps%2C278&sr=8-2

4.  If you don’t like the oil, then really go old school with a badger hair brush and shaving soap: https://www.amazon.com/Shaving-Anbbas-Badger-Stainless-Perfect/dp/B0772K2MN4/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=badger+shaving+brush+and+bowl&qid=1630376110&sr=8-5

5.  Whether or not you go with a safety razor, every man should have a styptic pencil for the occasional nick and cut. Personally, I nick myself FAR less with a safety razor.  Forget the dabs of toilet paper. A styptic pencil instantly stops any small cut from bleeding.  This 3-pack will probably last your lifetime:  https://www.amazon.com/Clubman-Pinaud-Styptic-Pencil-Travel/dp/B00EOAKLFQ/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=Styptic+pencil&qid=1630376334&sr=8-3

6. And finally, a little tutorial article. https://www.artofmanliness.com/articles/how-to-shave-with-safety-razor/

Stop the madness, surlyites. Shave like a man. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, nnm said:

Here’s the starter set:  

1.  Handle (a heavy, manly Merkur 39c): https://www.amazon.com/MERKUR-Slant-MK-39C-Double-Safety/dp/B002CLH5MG/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=merkur+heavy+duty+long+handle&qid=1630375014&sr=8-6. This is the only up-front investment. And it costs as much as one sam’s club pack of your gimmick razors that will last a few months. This will last several lifetimes. 

2.  Razors:  Start with a sampler pack so you can try different brands to figure out which one you like.  100 (yes, 100!) blades for $15:  https://www.amazon.com/Excellent-Quality-Razor-Blades-different/dp/B07PH47B8M/ref=sr_1_5?crid=2IWETMC1GV4YX&dchild=1&keywords=safety+razor+blades+sampler&qid=1630375830&sprefix=Safety+razor+blade%2Caps%2C332&sr=8-5

3.  Shaving oil instead of shaving cream:  https://www.amazon.com/Somersets-Sensitive-Shave-Oil-2-pk/dp/B0738QC9RJ/ref=sr_1_2?crid=22IEI8F1R4733&dchild=1&keywords=somersets+shaving+oil&qid=1630376064&sprefix=Somersets+shaving+oil%2Caps%2C278&sr=8-2

4.  If you don’t like the oil, then really go old school with a badger hair brush and shaving soap: https://www.amazon.com/Shaving-Anbbas-Badger-Stainless-Perfect/dp/B0772K2MN4/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=badger+shaving+brush+and+bowl&qid=1630376110&sr=8-5

5.  Whether or not you go with a safety razor, every man should have a styptic pencil for the occasional nick and cut. Personally, I nick myself FAR less with a safety razor.  Forget the dabs of toilet paper. A styptic pencil instantly stops any small cut from bleeding.  This 3-pack will probably last your lifetime:  https://www.amazon.com/Clubman-Pinaud-Styptic-Pencil-Travel/dp/B00EOAKLFQ/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=Styptic+pencil&qid=1630376334&sr=8-3

6. And finally, a little tutorial article. https://www.artofmanliness.com/articles/how-to-shave-with-safety-razor/

Stop the madness, surlyites. Shave like a man. 

or...i could just buy a $20 electric Remington from walmart

• Like 1

I got a safety razor a while back and I usually shave in the shower.  In addition to being much cheaper, it's a really great shave.  I haven't had any problems with nicks really, but every now and then something slips and the blade moves laterally and that's gonna slice ya every time.

I didn't really even find it had a learning curve.

• Like 1

In 1901, the American inventor King Camp Gillette, with the assistance of William Nickerson, submitted a patent of a new variation of safety razor with disposable blades which was patented in 1904. ... Gillette realized that a profit could be made by selling an inexpensive razor with disposable blades.

Sucker born every minute. 

• Like 1

And all this fancy shaving bullshit can get off my lawn.  Nothing manly about adding a bunch of time to your bathroom routine.

Any razor I have to be careful with is a nonstarter for me.  I shave my entire face and my entire bald head while I’m in the shower, start to finish in 3 minutes… with the grain on the face, both directions on the dome.   Smooth and perfect in 3 minutes with no mirror or extra bullshit brushes made from filthy animals or fancy bowls. 

I need a razor that I can confidently swing around from one hand or the other behind my head going in random directions without looking, often in hotels with no mirror, and not be worried about slicing anything. I can’t remember the last time I cut myself anywhere on my head or my face. Without a doubt it’s been years. 

So I clicked on that art of manliness link and the guy pictured in the video was the nerdiest motherfucker I’ve ever seen. No doubt he orders coffee with at least 9 words in the drink name and can’t do 20 pushups.

I still roll with a Mach 3. I’ve had the handle longer than you’ve had your merkur. I’m buy the razors on Amazon and while they cost more than a penny each it’s not an expense that I notice. 

There are a couple shave creams I like and I buy whichever one I see first in H-E-B. They are fancy enough to not be Barbasol foam but not so fancy that I can’t get one at H-E-B anytime I need it.   Usually it’s Cremo or Headslick. 

Theres no way that your safety razors give you a shave that’s any closer than any other razor, not counting some rusted out old dull disposable crap.  I’ve never understood this idea of chasing a closer shave anyway.   I don’t believe I’ve ever shaved with an actual non disposable razor of any brand and finished feeling anything other than completely smooth. Not sure why I would need any loftier goals than that.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Haha 1

Shouldn’t shaving like a man be just growing a beard?

I started shaving again once masks became a thing. I don’t see much value in some mythical closer shave, since the smoothness grows out by lunchtime. I just want something I can sleepily run across my face in the shower in under a minute, not get in-grown hairs, and be reasonably comfortable and presentable.

The generic blades and generic shaving cream last long enough and don’t cost so much that it really seems to matter. Cutting down on the couple of bucks I spend every 6 weeks or so doesn’t seem like much of a gain to me.

But if you want to slather oil on your delicate face and draw on your cuts with aluminum sticks because the manliness blog told you it would connect you with your primal masculine roots or something, that’s cool if it makes you happy. I’m all for self-actualization through engaging with our traditions.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

35 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

And all this fancy shaving bullshit can get off my lawn.  Nothing manly about adding a bunch of time to your bathroom routine.

Any razor I have to be careful with is a nonstarter for me.  I shave my entire face and my entire bald head while I’m in the shower, start to finish in 3 minutes… with the grain on the face, both directions on the dome.   Smooth and perfect in 3 minutes with no mirror or extra bullshit brushes made from filthy animals or fancy bowls. 

I need a razor that I can confidently swing around from one hand or the other behind my head going in random directions without looking, often in hotels with no mirror, and not be worried about slicing anything. I can’t remember the last time I cut myself anywhere on my head or my face. Without a doubt it’s been years. 

So I clicked on that art of manliness link and the guy pictured in the video was the nerdiest motherfucker I’ve ever seen. No doubt he orders coffee with at least 9 words in the drink name and can’t do 20 pushups.

I still roll with a Mach 3. I’ve had the handle longer than you’ve had your merkur. I’m buy the razors on Amazon and while they cost more than a penny each it’s not an expense that I notice. 

There are a couple shave creams I like and I buy whichever one I see first in H-E-B. They are fancy enough to not be Barbasol foam but not so fancy that I can’t get one at H-E-B anytime I need it.   Usually it’s Cremo or Headslick. 

Theres no way that your safety razors give you a shave that’s any closer than any other razor, not counting some rusted out old dull disposable crap.  I’ve never understood this idea of chasing a closer shave anyway.   I don’t believe I’ve ever shaved with an actual non disposable razor of any brand and finished feeling anything other than completely smooth. Not sure why I would need any loftier goals than that.

I'm mostly the same way.  However, most disposables seem to just destroy my face, or do so after just a couple of shaves.  Bumps and tiny cuts and just feeling raw are far worse to me than the occasional nick from a safety razor.  I have sensitive skin and my beard is pretty coarse but not that thick, which apparently is a bit of a challenge. I also have a very heavy mooostash that is hard to police and, if I don't get a pretty good shave, leaves me looking like some kind of bandito by late afternoon.

So, for me, it was a matter of expense and a small nod to the environment, as well as a close and comfortable shave.  I use the same creams as you, although I will concede that shave oil is good stuff.

I also shave mostly daily because beards make me itch and make my skin feel oily, even though it is basically dry.  So not getting faceraped is important to me and a safety razor does that well and inexpensively.  Also, the same errors that cause a safety razor to cut will also cause other types of razors to cut, and usually not quite as cleanly.  A safety razor cut may be rather long and bleed pretty profusely, but it usually doesn't hurt much and heals really fast.  Can't say the same about a double- or triple- or whatever blade/edge razor.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I also have a very heavy mooostash that is hard to police and, if I don't get a pretty good shave, leaves me looking like some kind of bandito by late afternoon.

I fail to see the problem here.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, lateshow said:

I've been using the Mach 3 for 20 years or so. Also, I'm a full grown man and have a beard. I only need to shave above and below the beard, to keep it nice and neat. So the blade will last me for a long while. 

So you’re 40. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, lateshow said:

I've been using the Mach 3 for 20 years or so. Also, I'm a full grown man and have a beard. I only need to shave above and below the beard, to keep it nice and neat. So the blade will last me for a long while. 

Same. I forgot to cancel my last dollar shave club order, so I've got 7 blades in the drawer that should last me a year or so. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

I only shave like once a week max because my tech job allows me to look like a schlub, so I probably go through like 10 razors a year. Not worried about cost. 

I shave at least 5 out of 7 days a week.  One razor lasts a month.

$50 or so at the most per year on razors, less if i catch Target offering gift card rebates..

Not a big fucking deal. I spend more on lube.

71izn6nAizL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Edited by slorch

Ahem.  Team Braun 9376cc checking in.  Use it in the shower, use it with lather, use it dry, use it whatever.  Battery will last around a month of shaves for me.  I quit shaving with blades in 1990 or so; this is my 4th Braun in that stretch.  

I just don't have the time or the inclination to embrace the safety razor thing.  With my obsessive nature, I'd have to go all out if I made that commitment.  

Braun%20Series%209-9095cc%20Wet%20and%20

Bought a 1962 Gillette adjustable off of eBay a few months ago.  For some reason I think it is neat to shave with something older than I am.  

One of the failings of my generic inheritance is the inability to grow a full beard.  I absolutely would if I could.  But I am great at growing a neck beard, sadly.

• 3 weeks later...