Texas Governor's Race 2022

atomheartbevo

God forbid queer/trans and other LGBTQ kids get a smile and a hug. Let’s punish them, convert them and drive them into a depressive hole and eventual suicide. Cultural genocide is their agenda and nothing less.  Fuck them. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 3

8 hours ago, Horn Dogg said:

In on page 1.  Fuck Abbott, Fuck Huffines, and FUCK the whole modern GOP!  Fuck Cruz, Fuck Cornyn,  Fuck the majority of Texas voters for supporting these assholes.  And fuck aggy while were at it.

Horn Dogg for Governor.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Still fucking ragey. Science denying, apparently vaccine clinic protesting (in GA) idiots. These people hate people.  True haters. Cheaters. Liars. Idiots. We finally found a group worse than drunk OU fans after a state fair ass whooping, Republicans. Problem is they are everywhere. When in the actual fuck will Texans say we’ve had enough of this garbage?

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, South Austin said:

Fuck all of them. But right now I think I’d prefer the do-nothing passive reactionary Abbott over Huffines. The enemy you know . . . .

Sadly, Abbott is the safer choice.

Yesterday there was a discussion on TPR about the new gun law and how Patrick was hesitant to push it through the ledge. The new wave of elected Republicans forced his hand on this issue. It seems like we are entering a point where Abbott and Patrick are the sane moderates.

It's too late to get off the ride. Hold on to your butts!

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Voldemort86 said:

There is nothing moderate about Paxton or Patrick.

You are using the old scale.

Shit, Rick Perry now seems like an exemplary model of competence compared to Abbot. Wait until you see the next iteration of the Texas GOP.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 3

1 hour ago, The Ace of Aces said:

We had planned to retire back to Texas but given its now a conservative shitscape and getting worse I’m doubting that happens. Too bad all the Californians moving there aren’t the good ones. 

I imagine most of my colleagues relocating from the Bay Area to Austin are not GQPers. 

16 minutes ago, F250 said:

Shit, Rick Perry now seems like an exemplary model of competence compared to Abbot. Wait until you see the next iteration of the Texas GOP.

Patrick is passing fetal heart bills, voter suppression bills,  anti transgender legislation. How much worse could it possibly get?

Edited by Voldemort86

7 minutes ago, F250 said:

I don’t understand why it’s so difficult to mount a serious challenge to the hegemonic rule of the carpetbaggers who run Texas. There must be any number of talented, competent men and women in a state of 30 million people who can provide the kind of leadership we should have in the 21st Century. Many of these people can be found at the local level, but they just don’t have the name recognition to needed to help them win.

We need help in Texas

1 minute ago, Satchel said:

I don’t understand why it’s so difficult to mount a serious challenge to the hegemonic rule of the carpetbaggers who run Texas. There must be any number of talented, competent men and women in a state of 30 million people who can provide the kind of leadership we should have in the 21st Century. Many of these people can be found at the local level, but they just don’t have the name recognition to needed to help them win.

We need help in Texas

It’s because smart and talented folks don’t want to do it. They have better options.

• Hook 'Em 3

11 minutes ago, Voldemort86 said:

It’s because smart and talented folks don’t want to do it. They have better options.

Somebody like former Dallas Mayor, Mike Rawlings would make a good governor. He’s smart, rational, competent and likable. 
Then again, I guess not. We don’t elect people like him to statewide office in Texas.

1 hour ago, Satchel said:

Somebody like former Dallas Mayor, Mike Rawlings would make a good governor. He’s smart, rational, competent and likable. 
Then again, I guess not. We don’t elect people like him to statewide office in Texas.

Because Texas big city mayors don't win the governor's seat. 

1 hour ago, Satchel said:

We need help in Texas

The lack of name recognition has a lot to do with it. Every major politician in Texas is a Republican and the pool of Democrats are unknowns. So the first half of the general election will be an effort just getting people to remember who is running on the Dem ticket because they are some former mayor/city council woman from Houston or DFW.

Basically the Republicans have had the incumbency advantage across the state for decades.

7 minutes ago, Satchel said:

The question is why, especially when an unremarkable, obscure former Texas Supreme Court justice, can.

Because he was on the statewide ballot multiple times (SCOTX and AG).  The last 3 Dem candidates had name recognition in Dallas, Fort Worth and Houston only.   It's exactly as said above - Team R has every statewide office and the name recognition that comes with it from the Panhandle to East Texas down to the Valley.  The Dem bench is a bunch of big city mayors or state House/Senate members.  Maybe a Congressional member from a big city. 

Though none of them have done the type of campaign Beto did in 2018 - which is exactly what someone has to replicate.  You gotta go to all 254 counties and be seen.  

It's September 2021 and no one has even made an effort. 

Edited by Js1
  • Rage+1 2

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

Because he was on the statewide ballot twice (SCOTX and AG).  The last 3 Dem candidates had name recognition in Dallas, Fort Worth and Houston only.   Though none of them did the type of campaign Beto did in 2018 - which is exactly what someone has to replicate.  You gotta go to all 254 counties and be seen.  

I see your point. Maybe all one needs to be successful in Texas is to have high name ID and be Republican. What else explains the staying power of a Ken Paxton? Everybody knows he’s an unregenerate criminal.

13 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

So am I gonna have to vote in the Republican primary just to make sure a complete fucking loon isn't elected governor?

When life hands you lemons, you dip them in poo, then fling them hard as hell at the Republican candidate you hate the most.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Because he was on the statewide ballot multiple times (SCOTX and AG).  The last 3 Dem candidates had name recognition in Dallas, Fort Worth and Houston only.   It's exactly as said above - Team R has every statewide office and the name recognition that comes with it from the Panhandle to East Texas down to the Valley.  The Dem bench is a bunch of big city mayors or state House/Senate members.  Maybe a Congressional member from a big city. 

Though none of them have done the type of campaign Beto did in 2018 - which is exactly what someone has to replicate.  You gotta go to all 254 counties and be seen.  

From what I Remember, Beto was raising a lot of money once he became a thing. How was it funded in the beginning?

10 hours ago, troph said:

Still fucking ragey. Science denying, apparently vaccine clinic protesting (in GA) idiots. These people hate people.  True haters. Cheaters. Liars. Idiots. We finally found a group worse than drunk OU fans after a state fair ass whooping, Republicans. Problem is they are everywhere. When in the actual fuck will Texans say we’ve had enough of this garbage?

I think the abortion law is an overreach that might be the final straw for a lot of people, especially women.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Sadly yes. Unfortunately our current governor is allowing the Mogwai that is nipping at his wheels to drive the discussion even further into MAGA territory.

Pretty fucking amazing tweet ^^.  No sense at all of serving all citizens.  Totally Us v. Them.

5 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

I think the abortion law is an overreach that might be the final straw for a lot of people, especially women.

This.

Abortion is effectively illegal in Texas. It would be hard to argue against that. 

The Supreme Court just silently made sure of that without comment. It’s a harbinger of what’s to come. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, gmr548 said:

Huffines vs Abbott isn’t the Governor’s race Texas needs, but sure as hell what it deserves

This.  As Texans, our only choice is how badly we get fucked.  And at the level of fuckery we're talking about, it's hard to tell the difference.

3 hours ago, F250 said:

Yep.  The descent of the GQP into utter nihilistic madness has reached Ludicrous Speed.  Remember my axioms about the GQP:

1 -- it only gets worse.

2 -- there is no bottom.

2 hours ago, Satchel said:

The question is why, especially when an unremarkable, obscure former Texas Supreme Court justice, can.

Because of the letter next to his name.  For 25 years or so, they could trot out Beelzebub Puppykicker Babycrusher (R), and he waltzes into whatever statewide office he wants.  See such quality leaders as Paxton, Patrick, and Miller.  If I was a supreme being who just wanted to fuck with this timeline, I would 100% manifest the candidate Beelzebub Puppykicker Babycrusher (R) and watch him become our next governor.  And shit, I may well have created our next president, because who could own the libs BETTER than Beelzebub Puppykicker Babycrusher (R)?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2