Texas Governor's Race 2022

atomheartbevo

1 minute ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Cheeky. I was referring to the comment about a building and a letterhead.

Huffines is alarming. Do not like his platform. Plus he gives off an aura of zealot more than leader.

more than that. he gives off Gollum vibes. I feel like he's one confrontation away from a campaign-ending rant. not sure if it'll be racist or homophobic, but something 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

On his campaign website, Huffines talks about how he's "self-made."  Yeah, other than being the son of the owner of Huffines Auto Group in the Dallas Metroplex, which was started by his grandfather in 1924. You know, the auto group with 9 locations, 800 workers, and sold 19000+ cars last year. 

Dude, Boomers are the undisputed kings of being born on third and strutting around like they hit a triple. Totally on brand. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

So, Joe Jaworski is running against Paxton, and Mike Collier is running against Patrick (again). 

Paxton is somewhat vulnerable - there are Republicans throwing their hat in the ring against him, who wouldn't be doing so otherwise, because Paxton is extremely replaceable -  George P or Krause are both more than capable of doing the GOP's/MAGA's biding, and they don't have the baggage that Paxton has.

1 hour ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

On his campaign website, Huffines talks about how he's "self-made."  Yeah, other than being the son of the owner of Huffines Auto Group in the Dallas Metroplex, which was started by his grandfather in 1924. You know, the auto group with 9 locations, 800 workers, and sold 19000+ cars last year. 

"HE PULLED HIMSELF UP BY HIS BOOTSTRAPS JUST LIKE THE REST OF US!"

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Beyonce it is.  A beloved daughter of Texas, time to step up.

1 hour ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Somebody get Coach Pop on the phone and convince him to run for Gov.

Popovich would be amazing.

Toss Eva Longoria's hat into the ring as well.  I don't give a shit about whether she knows anything about politics, she'd be a thousand times better than Abbott, and I'd love to see Abbott trying to attack her and not pissing off Hispanics/minorities/women.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, Js1 said:

There’s also no bench. None. 

3 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

No party, really. It's like a building and letterhead more than anything else. 

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

These.  There is no statewide organization or strategy.  None.  Just a name brand that some people run under.  Believe it or not, Beto has done more to create a unified party strategy than anyone in the past 30 years....and to be clear, he hasn't done shit.  He's just done more than anyone else.

And some of that blame goes to the national Dem party (which isn't a lot better).  It hasn't provided any help of note to Texas in building a state party.

As much as the GOP talks about "local government" and "the Democrats are this big scary monolithic entity that don't believe in dissent", the GOP in Texas is, in fact, pretty much one big monolithic entity that doesn't believe in dissent (just ask Allan West), and they remain pretty damned united from the locals to the state level - there's a reason why Fitlump is constantly posting photos of herself with Abbott, Cornyn, etc.

The GOP is one single party in Texas.  The Democrats are basically a bunch of smaller parties scattered around Texas, who do a shit job of building up a statewide branding for any candidates.  Beto (and even Wendy Davis, etc.) all got a statewide branding because of their own actions, not because the Democrats identified them and promoted them.

The Democrats in Texas are this guy:

obama-pajama-boy-white-house-r-2.jpg?res

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

45 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

As much as the GOP talks about "local government" and "the Democrats are this big scary monolithic entity that don't believe in dissent", the GOP in Texas is, in fact, pretty much one big monolithic entity that doesn't believe in dissent (just ask Allan West), and they remain pretty damned united from the locals to the state level - there's a reason why Fitlump is constantly posting photos of herself with Abbott, Cornyn, etc.

The GOP is one single party in Texas.  The Democrats are basically a bunch of smaller parties scattered around Texas, who do a shit job of building up a statewide branding for any candidates.  Beto (and even Wendy Davis, etc.) all got a statewide branding because of their own actions, not because the Democrats identified them and promoted them.

The Democrats in Texas are this guy:

obama-pajama-boy-white-house-r-2.jpg?res

Nah I don’t think that’s correct. 

To understand the current state of the Texas Democratic Party one should look to history.

For well over a century it was the domain of the white rich and racist oil interest elite who controlled the state because the republicans back were the rich New Yorkers and majors looking (unsuccessfully) to take over the independent oil interests in Texas.

Things changed when the national Democratic Party passed the civil rights and voting right bills in 64 and 65 leaving the independent oil interests conflicted and ultimately leaving the party for the Republican Party starting in the early 70s.

At that point in time the Texas Democratic Party became the domain of the rich white trial lawyers in htown, big d, Austin, corpus and San Antonio who passed all sorts of laws in the 70s that made them even richer and more importantly controlled the courts into the early to mid 90s. Think joe Jamail, pennzoil v Exxon and the 80s Texas Supreme Court.

To this very day the Texas Democratic Party is still controlled by the rich and white trial lawyers except they don’t have the public on their side anymore if they ever did.  For years they hoped and wished for the tejanos in the valley to put them over the top, they never did, and 2020 showed they never will.

What has changed though is the white suburbs have turned democratic just like they did in Arizona so there is at least hope, somewhat.

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Nah I don’t think that’s correct. 

To understand the current state of the Texas Democratic Party one should look to history.

For well over a century it was the domain of the white rich and racist oil interest elite who controlled the state because the republicans back were the rich New Yorkers and majors looking (unsuccessfully) to take over the independent oil interests in Texas.

Things changed when the national Democratic Party passed the civil rights and voting right bills in 64 and 65 leaving the independent oil interests conflicted and ultimately leaving the party for the Republican Party starting in the early 70s.

At that point in time the Texas Democratic Party became the domain of the rich white trial lawyers in htown, big d, Austin, corpus and San Antonio who passed all sorts of laws in the 70s that made them even richer and more importantly controlled the courts into the early to mid 90s. Think joe Jamail, pennzoil v Exxon and the 80s Texas Supreme Court.

To this very day the Texas Democratic Party is still controlled by the rich and white trial lawyers except they don’t have the public on their side anymore if they ever did.  For years they hoped and wished for the tejanos in the valley to put them over the top, they never did, and 2020 showed they never will.

What has changed though is the white suburbs have turned democratic just like they did in Arizona so there is at least hope, somewhat.

Pretty astute, I think.  Ann Richards notwithstanding, Texas Dems were more Dixiecrats than anything else.  And therefore had little or nothing in common with the national party.

And I think you're right about trial lawyers.  They even had a bit of populism going on, but not enough.

11 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Pretty astute, I think.  Ann Richards notwithstanding, Texas Dems were more Dixiecrats than anything else.  And therefore had little or nothing in common with the national party.

And I think you're right about trial lawyers.  They even had a bit of populism going on, but not enough.

Ann Richards only won because Clayton Williams was a rape joke tellin’ idiot and the transformation of the state into Republican was not quite complete. It was a fluke that W took full advantage of in 94.

Hope lies in the fact that suburbs like Williamson and Hays county and others are now majority democratic, along with major advantages now in the cities like Illinois has with Chicago.

Edited by JimmyJames

On 9/16/2021 at 6:57 PM, JimmyJames said:

Hope lies in the fact that suburbs like Williamson and Hays county and others are now majority democratic...

About that hope. While hope is a good thing, I believe the latest map is showing Williamson in the same district as Brazos-that bastion of socially progressive ideology that is Aggie. Will need good turnout to overcome that.

We need to convince Huffines to run third-party.   That’s what scares the hell out of Abbott.  

The Dems need to finance, with hidden dark money (you know, the way the GOP does it) a third party super-MAGA candidate in the general. All that person needs to do is siphon away 3-5% of the GQP vote, and force Greg to run hard right in the general, costing him any moderate repub vote that’s left in the party (I suspect it’s about 2% worth). The Dems don’t have the numbers to sink the GQP yet, so make them sink themselves.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Jive Turkey said:

Beto is gonna raise so much money. And Huffines has the potential to split the GQP vote. 

As Abbott brags about all the Californians moving to Texas, they might vote his ass out (with help from third party Huffines). 

The California transplants are some of the reason Beto lost to Ted Cruz. They could become as problematic for Democrats as Valley Latinos are proving to be.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

Lol Beto, poor sap couldn't beat el rato and in his pathetic attempt to stand out at the presidential debates he gave the perfect 5 second soundbite for the opposition to play against him over and over. It amuses me that he thinks he has a chance.
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, Satchel said:

The California transplants are some of the reason Beto lost to Ted Cruz. They could become as problematic for Democrats as Valley Latinos are proving to be.

1 minute ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

You'd think Beto would do very well with the suburban housewives in particular, but I don't know if that will be enough to overcome the hayseed evangelical women who seem thrilled to subjugate their rights to old white men.

These are both valid points, but there aren't exactly people beating down the door to run. I'm not a whole hearted Beto supporter, but I did and do appreciate that he turned around and went to work instead of sitting around having a pity party. I also agree (based on some data) that the folks leaving California are not necessarily supportive of progessive policies.

And pearl clutching centrists are going to make the guns thing a bigger issue than the right wing and amplify their nonsense.

Democrats are their own worst enemy.

More Texans don’t own guns than own guns. It’s just that the NRA and gun crazies are so loud.

If he runs, the pearl clutching from Texas “Democrats” will do the right’s job for them.

Anyone that bases their votes on gun control will NEVER vote for Beto.
  • Hook 'Em 2

It’s not a blanket statement about California peeps… I remain optimistic about that. You can see it happening in Williamson County. You don’t think all the Apple employees relocating has helped swing this county blue? I’m one of them, when I moved back 3 years ago. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Bama Chick said:

And pearl clutching centrists are going to make the guns thing a bigger issue than the right wing and amplify their nonsense.

More Texans don’t own guns than own guns. It’s just that the NRA and gun crazies are so loud.

If he runs, the pearl clutching from Texas “Democrats” will do the right’s job for them.

With Covid, abortion and Abbott trying to rule from his castle over local governments, guns don’t  even need to be brought up 

With Covid, abortion and Abbott trying to rule from his castle over local governments, guns don’t  even need to be brought up 

When you realize that among motivated Texas voters (typical GQP voters), you need to understand that all of those are POSITIVES….then you understand why we’re fucked.
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Well said and very true.

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

When you realize that among motivated Texas voters (typical GQP voters), you need to understand that all of those are POSITIVES….then you understand why we’re fucked.

Your optimism is an inspiration for us all Brisket.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, YChang said:

It’s not a blanket statement about California peeps… I remain optimistic about that. You can see it happening in Williamson County. You don’t think all the Apple employees relocating has helped swing this county blue? I’m one of them, when I moved back 3 years ago. 

I get it, but you can’t just act like this didn’t happen:

A CNN exit poll showed O'Rourke beat Cruz among native Texans, 51-48 percent. In contrast, 57 percent of people who had moved to Texas said they voted for Cruz, compared to 42 percent for O'Rourke.

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, Satchel said:

I get it, but you can’t just act like this didn’t happen:

A CNN exit poll showed O'Rourke beat Cruz among native Texans, 51-48 percent. In contrast, 57 percent of people who had moved to Texas said they voted for Cruz, compared to 42 percent for O'Rourke.

That article and stat is so misleading that it really is annoying when people keep bringing it up.

First of all “native Texans” nowadays are a distinct minority and tend to be much younger. So no shit more of them voted for Beto. 

When I was growing up Williamson county was one of the most redneck conservative counties in the state. If you were from Austin you didn’t set foot there for fear of getting a life prison sentence for having marijuana residue in your car or at least planted there. 

The Williamson county of 1995 would have voted for trump at an 80 percent clip. 

In 2018 it voted for beto and in 2020 it voted for Biden. You know why? Well it wasn’t the “native Texans.”

Edited by JimmyJames
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, YChang said:

More republicans are leaving California for Texas then California Dems leaving for Texas

• Hook 'Em 3

11 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

That article and stat is so misleading that it really is annoying when people keep bringing it up.

First of all “native Texans” nowadays are a distinct minority and tend to be much younger. So no shit more of them voted for Beto. 

When I was growing up Williamson county was one of the most redneck conservative counties in the state. If you were from Austin you didn’t set foot there for fear of getting a life prison sentence for having marijuana residue in your car or at least planted there. 

The Williamson county of 1995 would have voted for trump at an 80 percent clip. 

In 2018 it voted for beto and in 2020 it voted for Biden. You know why? Well it wasn’t the “native Texans.”

What makes you think native Texans are a distinct minority? From Texas Demographics.
Approximately 83 percent of the [Texas] population is native born and 17 percent is foreign born. The population is 49.6 percent male (13,625,413) and 50.4 percent female (13,843,701). The median age in Texas is 34.4 years old, compared to 37.8 nationally.

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

The Dems need to finance, with hidden dark money (you know, the way the GOP does it) a third party super-MAGA candidate in the general. All that person needs to do is siphon away 3-5% of the GQP vote, and force Greg to run hard right in the general, costing him any moderate repub vote that’s left in the party (I suspect it’s about 2% worth). The Dems don’t have the numbers to sink the GQP yet, so make them sink themselves.

I think the moderate R votes are higher than you think - plenty of them from out-of-state, plenty who felt comfortable for voting for Abbott and Patrick, but I think the abortion stuff, the storm stuff, the covid stuff, etc. are driving them away.

Any. moderates still around though, they are going to have a hard time with him if he keeps getting dragged right by Huffines.