Texas Governor's Race 2022

atomheartbevo

3 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Just in case you forgot what a serious candidate for Lt. governor  person sounds like.  We don't have a Lt. Governor's race thread but Dowd should have 100% of Surly's support:

Meh, Dr. Henry Jones, Sr. said it better.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Just in case you forgot what a serious candidate for Lt. governor  person sounds like.  We don't have a Lt. Governor's race thread but Dowd should have 100% of Surly's support:

it's really sad that a very basic statement such as this is even worth applauding from a political candidate. in normal times this wouldn't even get a retweet

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Fucking Abbott and Huffines.

https://www.kxan.com/news/texas/texas-national-guardsmen-face-cuts-to-benefits-as-operation-lone-stars-surge-to-border-continues/

The state has surged 2,500 Texas National Guardsmen to our southern border as part of Operation Lone Star, the governor’s response to the surge of migrants crossing into our state over the last several months. 

The guardsmen are coordinating with law enforcement officials to mitigate the crisis, but Nexstar has received several complaints with guardsmen, detailing difficulties with exemptions and benefits.

Guardsman Dustin Rhine said when he was called to head to the border, his medical exemption after recent ankle surgery was denied. 

“They were trying send me no matter what, even though my surgeon said that I couldn’t carry any the extra weight, couldn’t stand for long periods time,” Rhine explained.

He then was sent to training, where he failed his medical exam.

“It shouldn’t have ever gotten to that point,” Rhine explained. 

“The Texas Military Department is aware there may be hardship situations for some service members and will review them on a case-by-case basis through service members’ chain of command,” a TMD spokesperson said. 

“Every Soldier and Airmen on the mission has volunteered to serve their country and state by taking an Oath of Enlistment agreeing to obey the orders of the Governor of the state of Texas and the President of the United States in support of missions at home or abroad,” the statement continued. 

Gov. Greg Abbott said these guardsmen are needed right now, as the state prepares for another migrant caravan.

Hey Greg, you need them now for next March's primary, but keep fucking around and you won't have them in the future for storms or whatever when they don't re-enlist because of this shit.

This fall, the legislature approved $300 million to surge more guardsmen to the border.

Meanwhile, the governor required all state agencies to slash their budgets by 5%.

The Texas Military Department slashed its tuition assistance program for the 2022-23 biennium by 54%, down to $1.4 million. That’s only enough to help about 700 of the 20,000 guardsmen.

The length of the operation is also weighing on the state’s guardsmen.

“We’d respond to hurricane disaster or tornadoes, you’d be gone a week two, maybe three at the most, most of us can handle that,” Rhine said. “What we signed up for was maybe a month’s worth of work, not a year’s worth of work.

There’s no clear end date for Operation Lone Star, yet.

Greg, they'll go to Afghanistan or other such deployments, but they didn't sign up to be your little police force on the border.  Fucking start a new branch of DPS for that shit.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/10/2021 at 10:47 PM, atomheartbevo said:

25614-photostudio_1606695835960.jpg?w=64

Yes, please show us Texas Sovereignty, you compensating runt. Fuckers like this ought to wake up to a phone notification that they have been unilaterally seceded by the US Government, but are welcome to use the attached green card to stick around while they see if they can regain US citizenship.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, RDCanecutter said:

Yes, please show us Texas Sovereignty, you compensating runt. Fuckers like this ought to wake up to a phone notification that they have been unilaterally seceded by the US Government, but are welcome to use the attached green card to stick around while they see if they can regain US citizenship.

Deport him to The Shire

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

Don, maybe those parents want to make decisions for themselves?  I mean, unless county officials are going around to home and kidnapping kids and making them sit through this, I kind of have a feeling the kids who are there, are there because they and their parents want to be.

But there'll be another Abbott Executive Order coming in, I'm sure.

5 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Don, maybe those parents want to make decisions for themselves?  I mean, unless county officials are going around to home and kidnapping kids and making them sit through this, I kind of have a feeling the kids who are there, are there because they and their parents want to be.

This guy truly is fucking evil.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Fucking Abbott and Huffines.

https://www.kxan.com/news/texas/texas-national-guardsmen-face-cuts-to-benefits-as-operation-lone-stars-surge-to-border-continues/

Hey Greg, you need them now for next March's primary, but keep fucking around and you won't have them in the future for storms or whatever when they don't re-enlist because of this shit.

Greg, they'll go to Afghanistan or other such deployments, but they didn't sign up to be your little police force on the border.  Fucking start a new branch of DPS for that shit.

A guy at our office has to report on Monday for this.  He's pretty upset about it because of a new baby at home, but he's a big boy and knows what he signed up for.  Mostly worried about the length of the deployment.

Don Huffines fantasizes about adults preying on children

8 minutes ago, elfenix said:
1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

Don Huffines fantasizes about adults preying on children

As much damage has been done to children by adults praying on them as by adults preying on them. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Texas St. Armadillos said:

A guy at our office has to report on Monday for this.  He's pretty upset about it because of a new baby at home, but he's a big boy and knows what he signed up for.  Mostly worried about the length of the deployment.

We are somewhat near Mabry and a decent amount parents at our school are NG.   None of them have been happy at all, but they aren't going to say anything publicly/on Facebook, etc., because they'd get in trouble and/or get threats.  But in private, yeah, they are not happy.  Several are officers as well, and older, and are fully aware that this all because of Abbott's re-election bid.

And one of them was told that if he took a job offer out of state, and submitted his resignation or put in for a transfer/whatever to another state's NG, it would be turned down  and he'd still have to come back, including going to the border if told to ( and he's not some enlisted guy who has been in for a year, he's been in 15 years or so, and has been to the border, and has had multiple deployments overseas).   At least the enlisted guys can get out when their enlistments  are up.

36 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

And one of them was told that if he took a job offer out of state, and submitted his resignation or put in for a transfer/whatever to another state's NG, it would be turned down  and he'd still have to come back, including going to the border if told to ( and he's not some enlisted guy who has been in for a year, he's been in 15 years or so, and has been to the border, and has had multiple deployments overseas).   At least the enlisted guys can get out when their enlistments  are up.

He oughta flip the script, and move to Mexico.

Color me unhopeful.  The Republican primary might be bloody and entertaining, but whoever emerges will have a groundswell of support from the anti-Biden Texas reds looking to correct the Democratic gains in 2020.  Beto will make it interesting.  But I think there were a lot of Rs voting anti-Trump who will swing back Republican next year.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

This should make for an interesting six months where Abbott has to fend off both Huffines and O'Rourke.  If O'Rourke is half smart, and he seems to be, he'll let Don go low while he goes high.  I don't think this moves the needle as much as O'Rourke fans hope it does...but you never know.  Nothing has been as it seems since 2016.  

Two things I do know for sure about this new election paradigm:

1.  The GOP primary is heading to a run-off.  IMO, the March primary is just a formality...this thing is going to late May unless Huffines breaks off third party first. 

2.  I would camp overnight for tickets to a Huffines v. O'Rourke general election debate.  Neither of them gives a shit about me or my issues, but to physically bask in the awkward juxtaposition of calm, charismatic 6'3" O'Rourke at one podium and this moist, feverish troll 5'6" Huffines at the other podium.  I'd get kicked out because I wouldn't be able to stop laughing out loud.  

You just can’t vote for Beto.  He will take everybody’s guns away, make everybody get an abortion (even if you are a man) and make us all piss at least once with a transgender person in a public bathroom.  This is what you will here on Right wing media until he loses by 20 plus points to a guy in a wheel chair that would be better at running in a marathon than being an actual governor.  I can’t wait until Abbott starts doing commercials about what a great job he has done with the TX electrical grid and how strong he was during the deep freeze last winter and all the idiots in this state will nod along like sheep.  That is Texas for you. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Well done, CNN.  Manage to work "unseat" three times into the first fucking paragraph.  Headline tomorrow, "O'Rourke raises concerns of Abbott's crippling of Texas democracy and disabling the energy grid infrastructure."  I mean, is there some surly poster working at CNN website desk right now? 

14 minutes ago, Saint Austin said:

I'm interested to hear how Beto walks back the proclamation of taking folks' guns away.

Indeed. 

“Hell yes, we’re gonna take your AR-15, your AK-47, and we’re not going to allow it to be used against your fellow Americans anymore.”

https://apnews.com/article/1f401a8932974a84bff361be161df5de

15 minutes ago, Saint Austin said:

I'm interested to hear how Beto walks back the proclamation of taking folks' guns away.

He could do something incredibly bold and state very plainly, "While my admonition on assault rifles would still hold true if elected Governor, I am constitutionally prohibited from seizing any firearms in this state.  If the Republican-controlled Texas Legislature were to send a bill to my desk restricting the sale and ownership of assault rifles, I would gladly sign it.  Since that is beyond extremely unlikely, I largely consider the matter closed.  And unlike the current abuses of the office by Governor Abbott, I will not issue a series of executive orders demanding the seizing of said assault weapons, as I believe this is an overreach of the power of the office of Governor.  While I want to work with the legislature in a bi-partisan manner to bring down the alarming numbers of gun-related deaths in Texas...I believe there are many more pressing issues that require my attention and focus...issues that have gone completely neglected by Governor Abbott in his desperate plea for the affection of Donald Trump.  Texas has my attention, not some golf resort in Florida." 

But he won't.  He'll just keep going in circles.  I don't blame him, most Texans don't understand how the three branches work. 

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

Color me unhopeful.  The Republican primary might be bloody and entertaining, but whoever emerges will have a groundswell of support from the anti-Biden Texas reds looking to correct the Democratic gains in 2020.  Beto will make it interesting.  But I think there were a lot of Rs voting anti-Trump who will swing back Republican next year.

a billion percent this

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

Well done, CNN.  Manage to work "unseat" three times into the first fucking paragraph.  Headline tomorrow, "O'Rourke raises concerns of Abbott's crippling of Texas democracy and disabling the energy grid infrastructure."  I mean, is there some surly poster working at CNN website desk right now? 

maybe the primary distraction will cause an early stumble?

The gun stuff is gong to be hard to walk back, but he has a point. Hot Wheels should be easy to unseat with a decent opponent. I'm not sure Beto didn't squander his capital with the presidential run. He should have laid low after the Cruz defeat.

Edited by RPM
speeling
  • Hook 'Em 1