Texas Governor's Race 2022

atomheartbevo

Robert Francis O'Rourke about to be a three time loser.  This time by about 15 points or so.

Oh well, nice to be a privileged white male who never had a real job but married a billionaire's daughter.  He better kiss her and her daddy's ass though, otherwise he is out on the street broke.

• Hook 'Em 4

5 minutes ago, Goofyboy said:

Cool. Abbott can turn Texas into a bigger shit hole. Let’s see if he can get us into taking more federal money than we send in, like a true red state.

Maybe we can look at who pays what by zip code or by voter? Bet you would not like that type of analysis.

But for such a shit hole, we sure have a lot of people moving here.  Weird.

• Hook 'Em 2

58 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Maybe we can look at who pays what by zip code or by voter? Bet you would not like that type of analysis.

But for such a shit hole, we sure have a lot of people moving here.  Weird.

Not weird at all, Americans are fucking stupid

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 4
  • Fuck You 1

20 minutes ago, Lobo said:

People are moving to Texas for political reasons?   Interesting.  Not one data point at TAB supports that, but hey—-fuck maths.  

Most of the people I've spoke with who are moving from here (California) to Texas are republicans sick of California's politics, of course cheaper cola is a huge facto but its not like dems are fleeing to Texas to turn it blue. 

• Hook 'Em 1

hmm 🤔 in my social circle friends have either already left (for Nashville, Arizona and Mexico) or are planning to leave within 3 years, including us.

maybe all the predictions of Texas turning blue are wrong not bc native Texans are getting redder but bc blue Texans are fleeing and red Californians are moving in 😄

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

To pick back up on this topic of what migrants to Texas are doing to voting trends, I'll quote from a really fucking excellent but long Texas Monthly article which I recommend reading in its entirety (talks much more than just about politics).

...according to Derek Ryan, a GOP political consultant who leads voter-targeting efforts for candidates up and down the ballot, there’s very little data to support either argument—that Texas is growing more conservative because of ideological sorting or that it’s becoming more liberal at the hands of Californians. One of Ryan’s clients is Congressman John Carter, whom I’d met earlier at that bar in Austin, and who represents several fast-changing suburban cities. Ryan has watched the evolving Texas suburbs closely; he’s seen migration patterns in person and in the data. 

To identify likely new Texans in the data, Ryan looked at those who registered to vote after the 2018 election and ended up voting in 2020, and then he zeroed in on the subset over the age of thirty—to rule out young people, including longtime Texas residents, who were probably registering for the first time. He turned up 1.3 million voters, “but trying to figure out their political ideology is tricky because they haven’t necessarily voted in a Republican or Democratic primary,” he said. 

So, he turned to modeling data, the kind of information voter-targeting groups use to identify friendly targets based on their consumer spending habits, income levels, homeownership, and so on. “There are literally hundreds of data points to model people and determine if they’re likely Democratic or Republican voters,” he explained. 

According to Ryan’s best analysis, 50.4 percent of his possible new Texans were likely Democratic voters, and 49.6 percent were likely Republicans. “So, you know,” he said, “we hear a lot about these people moving from blue states and bringing blue-state politics with them, but it doesn’t necessarily appear that that’s the case. It’s closer to right in the middle. There are certainly some hard-core liberals moving here that are still voting that way, but it appears that it’s a wash as far as Republicans versus Democrats.”

Rice University’s Bill Fulton has looked at myriad possible explanations for the ebb and flow of migration from California and found that, as he wrote in a post on the Kinder Institute’s website, “the driving force is not a pull into Texas but a push out of California: home prices.” That is, when the price of a house goes up on the West Coast, people come to Texas. When the prices ease, fewer make the move.

Of course, Fulton published that piece before the governor signed one of the nation’s most restrictive abortion laws, effectively outlawing the procedure, as well as one of the nation’s most severe restrictions on voting—on top of a law discriminating against transgender students and one permitting the open carry of handguns without permits or training. The City of Chicago’s economic development arm took out a full-page ad in the Dallas Morning News trying to lure alarmed Texans away. The real estate bonanza had, meanwhile, prompted northwest Arkansas to begin trying to lure away Austinites being priced out, and California-based companies such as Salesforce began offering to help any of their Texas employees to relocate in the face of Abbott’s actions.

Still, Fulton speaks for many who study migration into the state when he says he doesn’t expect the flow of new Texans to slow down anytime soon. “Texas may be hot in the summer, and you may not agree with the politics. It may be sprawling, and you may have to buy an F150 pickup. But it is probably unparalleled in the country right now as a place of economic opportunity.” For many, he said, it’s still “a place where you can get ahead.”

• Hook 'Em 3

On 12/23/2021 at 9:14 PM, mchookem said:

hmm 🤔 in my social circle friends have either already left (for Nashville, Arizona and Mexico) or are planning to leave within 3 years, including us.

maybe all the predictions of Texas turning blue are wrong not bc native Texans are getting redder but bc blue Texans are fleeing and red Californians are moving in 😄

All good things. Thanks for the report

3 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

yup, I have known a lot of people who are moving or have moved recently. One couple moving to Ohio. We're losing people to fucking Ohio. And they're fairly liberal (former military but pro-weed types). So something must be amiss if fucking Ohio is a safer refuge.

North Carolina used to have fucking Jesse Helms as senator, but liberals are moving here in droves for the same sort of reasons we did: better long term job prospects, better services (especially for our special needs son), better education, a sane governor, less pollution, free museums, and God knows how much else.

The only downsides are finding legit brisket, and the fact that Madison Cawthorn hasn't dropped dead yet.

• Haha 1

Saw a lot of Huffines billboards up and down 35.  Stuff about fire Abbot, deporting illegals, don't give money to illegals, illegals are taking our jobs, illegals are literally taking our jobs, no seriously illegals are now putting up billboards for cheaper prices than Americans, fucking gringos are stupid fat fucks who charge too much to put up billboards, etc.

Did anybody see the Huffines commercial where he says FL is beating us because they won a Super Bowl and when he is governor of TX he will stop the invasion at our border and the Dallas Cowboys will win another ring?  I can’t believe people see that and think to themselves, “yeah, that guy is who I want running things”. 

• Haha 3
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Did anybody see the Huffines commercial where he says FL is beating us because they won a Super Bowl and when he is governor of TX he will stop the invasion at our border and the Dallas Cowboys will win another ring?  I can’t believe people see that and think to themselves, “yeah, that guy is who I want running things”. 

It’s such an absurd commercial

55 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

It makes me wonder if he know that 6-year-olds can't vote.

4 hours ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

By the way, Huffines picked up a few thousand followers over the Holidays/last few weeks.

I'm not paying close enough attention to know if it happened suddenly (with the Cowboy ads) or if it looks like bots or what.

Wonder if he's willing to pony up for ads to run locally during the Superb Owl game.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Even though Huffines is clearly who is driving Abbott to the right, let's not forget that West is running around out there.

He made sure and retweeted this (and the person responding should probably talk to some actual Texas NG soldiers - they won't be voting for anybody who has no problem fucking up their lives and throwing them at the border for political points).: